Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf at the Olympics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

You compared the Champions League to the World Cup. One is for the clubs in Europe and the other is for all national teams in the world.

So you say. I would say the opposite. An Olympic medal has a rarity and therefore a value regardless of the sport it's awarded for.

I was talking about the Club World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I was talking about the Club World Cup.
    Sorry my bad. Misread your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

That's not the aim of the Olympics..

Never said it was the aim. Just that professional golfers get more than their fair share of the spotlight. They don't "need" the olympics like other athletes do.

Senecio wrote: »
    Never said it was the aim. Just that professional golfers get more than their fair share of the spotlight. They don't "need" the olympics like other athletes do.
    The Olympics is the pinnacle of sports. All sports. Maybe golfers individually don't 'need' the Olympics, but the Olympics needs golf. If it didn't, you can bet your house that it would never have been voted back into the charter.

Why does the olympics need golf?

• Advertisement

Why does the olympics need golf?
    Because it's a major sport with a huge worldwide following and participation levels in the stratosphere. It's a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Because it's a major sport with a huge worldwide following and participation levels in the stratosphere. It's a no brainer.

I'd say Golf needs the Olympics more as the sport clearly wants it to be a part of the Olympics because the Chinese throw huge amounts of money at Olympic sports.

I'd say Golf needs the Olympics more as the sport clearly wants it to be a part of the Olympics because the Chinese throw huge amounts of money at Olympic sports.
    Well the Communist party in China (the only party really :rolleyes:) have banned membership of golf clubs to all party members.

That's only in the last six months or so and Golf was voted an Olympic sport in 2009, so that didn't help really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I like that golf is going to be at it. I dislike the method for qualification. There should be like there is for other events, an individual qualifying standard. Like a time for track and field events, that has to be achieved at certain national/international events. A score, say 64, at certain courses at certain times and open to everyone pros and amateurs to attempt to compete for. Whoever hits the qualifying time gets to compete for a medal. Whoever doesn't, doesn't.

Like a few years ago where top sprinters from jamaica and the USA missed out. They missed the time or they missed their slot and they missed the Olympics. Even though they were top 10/20 sprinters in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I think there should be an "Other " option in the poll ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Originally the Olympics were a way for Greek warriors to hone their battlefield skills.

I think the lark of Olympic soccer and Basketball and other team sports where the Olympics is not the top honour has diverted the games too far off course from their original purpose.

I think only sports where an Olympic medal is undisputedly the the best one can achieve in that sport should be in the games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Jawgap wrote: »
    Why not have both?

Qualifying countries get to enter two, two person teams - at least one player on each team must be U21 or U23. Teams can swap the pairings during the competition.

Then play the tournament as fourball matchplay.

Even a pro am tournament with top pro and am from each country

Even a pro am tournament with top pro and am from each country
    How do countries qualify?

So it comes down to money then? Golf can bring money to the olympics that other sports can't.

As others have said, it's about competing at the pinnacle of one's chosen sport. Some athletes train their whole life and they peak for one olympic year and if their lucky they may get to compete in a 2nd, 3rd etc.... Golf already has 4 pinnacles a year (+ WGC events, Ryder Cup).

I think it just comes down to greed on the part of both parties.

I just know that if I miss the men's badminton final because the telly are showing Rory, Speith, Scott I'll be pretty pissed off. We can watch these guys week in week out but I rarely get to see badminton played by the best in the world.

So it comes down to money then? Golf can bring money to the olympics that other sports can't.

As others have said, it's about competing at the pinnacle of one's chosen sport. Some athletes train their whole life and they peak for one olympic year and if their lucky they may get to compete in a 2nd, 3rd etc.... Golf already has 4 pinnacles a year (+ WGC events, Ryder Cup).

I think it just comes down to greed on the part of both parties.

I just know that if I miss the men's badminton final because the telly are showing Rory, Speith, Scott I'll be pretty pissed off. We can watch these guys week in week out but I rarely get to see badminton played by the best in the world.
    It's because golf brings money to the Olympics that other sports can participate. What broadcasters show is a different issue. The 2012 Olympics was extremely well showcased on the BBC. There were so many options available to viewers. What was also notable from 2012 was the hige coverage that the Paralympics got.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Adam Scott has announced that he won't be competing in rio anyway. Says it doesn't fit in his schedule and will be concentrating on the majors. Fair enough I suppose.
    Big blow to organisers though.

Adam Scott has announced that he won't be competing in rio anyway. Says it doesn't fit in his schedule and will be concentrating on the majors. Fair enough I suppose.
    Marc Leishman likes this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Who the IOC? I'm sure they couldn't give 2 fcuks as it won't impact the games in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

“Money, it’s gonna ruin sports” - O.B. Keeler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Is there also a ladies golf event at the Olympics?

EDit: According to google there is. Will we have an Irish competing? Stephanie Meadow, Leona/Lisa McGuire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

There will be 60 men, 60 women. And it's expected to be Meadow and Maguire representing Ireland in the women's event.

If anyone's interested in the details/issues here's an article I wrote for the Examiner - I used the above poll figures as part of the research!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,843 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

There will be 60 men, 60 women. And it's expected to be Meadow and Maguire representing Ireland in the women's event.

If anyone's interested in the details/issues here's an article I wrote for the Examiner - I used the above poll figures as part of the research!

You're welcome ;)

Ah no, good article. Totally agree with you it should be something different. Matchplay. Foresomes. Even a bloody scramble with the team of 4.

Another stroke play 4 day tournament for the top pros? It's just another week really..... :(

Seve OB wrote: »
    You're welcome ;)

Ah no, good article. Totally agree with you it should be something different. Matchplay. Foresomes. Even a bloody scramble with the team of 4.

Another stroke play 4 day tournament for the top pros? It's just another week really..... :(

That was one of Adam Scott's points back in 2013 too. He said they had really missed something with the format

Who the IOC? I'm sure they couldn't give 2 fcuks as it won't impact the games in any way.

It was more the golf authorities I was referring to who worked hard to get it included in the Olympics. One of the biggest names is golf just doesn't see it as important in his schedule or high on his achievements list. He may not end up being the last player to pull out either. There is a hectic schedule this year especially for those with Ryder cup aspirations.

Actually, I presume the Olympic golf results won't matter in terms of Ryder cup rankings??

It was more the golf authorities I was referring to who worked hard to get it included in the Olympics. One of the biggest names is golf just doesn't see it as important in his schedule or high on his achievements list. He may not end up being the last player to pull out either. There is a hectic schedule this year especially for those with Ryder cup aspirations.

Actually, I presume the Olympic golf results won't matter in terms of Ryder cup rankings??
    I imagine they will be part of the OWGR. Which shouldn't affect the European Ryder Cup team as that's based on the race to Dubai rankings. The US team is something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,843 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I imagine they will be part of the OWGR. Which shouldn't affect the European Ryder Cup team as that's based on the race to Dubai rankings. The US team is something similar.

Oh no its not.....
    Its based on both

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭paulos53

There are world ranking points available at the Olympics but I believe that they won't count for Ryder Cup qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

They'd have to count. If it affects world ranking points, then it affects Ryder cup Qualification for Europe, and the criteria does not eliminate the olympics from counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

paulos53 wrote: »
    There are world ranking points available at the Olympics but I believe that they won't count for Ryder Cup qualification
    martinkop wrote: »
    They'd have to count. If it affects world ranking points, then it affects Ryder cup Qualification for Europe, and the criteria does not eliminate the olympics from counting.

I haven't read anything about the OWGR situation, but it seems utterly daft that points would be up for grabs when many of the best golfers in the world won't be there because of the qualification system.

Based on the current OWGR standings, Brandt Snedeker (16), Zach Johnson (17), Phil Mickelson (19), Schwartzel (20), Paul Casey (24) and countless other top 30 players won't be playing in Rio, yet guys ranked as low as 400 could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

I haven't read anything about the OWGR situation, but it seems utterly daft that points would be up for grabs when many of the best golfers in the world won't be there because of the qualification system.

Based on the current OWGR standings, Brandt Snedeker (16), Zach Johnson (17), Phil Mickelson (19), Schwartzel (20), Paul Casey (24) and countless other top 30 players won't be playing in Rio, yet guys ranked as low as 400 could.

You mean to say there are OWGR tournaments that have limited fields???, that's mad Ted, whatever next???.

Advertisement