Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf at the Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Rory's not going man - have you not heard?

Hypothetical example :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

The Majors. The Ryder Cup probably ahead of the Olympics as well for those that are eligible.

For the top golfers in the world, who have the luxury to pick and choose their schedules, the olympics is lower in the pecking order than any other events they will play in the calendar year.

they are already household names. for ladies' golf this event may have more significance as it will arguably get more coverage than their majors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I don't get the "upsets the schedule" argument, its not like the Olympics was announced yesterday, they know months if not years in advance when its on and the possibility of playing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I don't get the "upsets the schedule" argument, its not like the Olympics was announced yesterday, they know months if not years in advance when its on and the possibility of playing there.

The assumption would be that they would need to participate in the Opening Ceremony on the 5th August with their countries delegation. The actual event itself for the men is from the 11th to the 14th.

So it's the travelling to the games, straight after competing in the PGA, and then waiting a week (two weeks for the women) to compete then waiting (not sure if that's mandatory) for the closing ceremony on the 21st. And all for an event where if you were to have a bad day or two, then you're essentially done, no medal and you're not playing for a cut of any generous purse.

I'm not sure what the protocol for the golfer's is, as in can they just fly in the week of the event and fly home straight after. I'm sure they would need to be available at short notice for random drug testing for the duration of the games. Not sure that the conditions are for competitors. If that's the case then it's 3 weeks all in during their season for the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

Paddy is skipping the opening ceremony anyway. I'm sure they'd be grand to just fly in for the tournament and then go home. Unless they have something better to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

charlieIRL wrote: »

because its led to a compression of the schedule - and that's combined with the Ryder Cup.

And given the cycle of the Olympics and the Ryder Cup, they are always going to
    clash.

If they want golfers to take golf in the Olympics seriously then they probably need to find away to make it "valuable" in terms of ranking points and/or Ryder Cup qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

valoren wrote: »
    The assumption would be that they would need to participate in the Opening Ceremony on the 5th August with their countries delegation. The actual event itself for the men is from the 11th to the 14th.

So it's the travelling to the games, straight after competing in the PGA, and then waiting a week (two weeks for the women) to compete then waiting (not sure if that's mandatory) for the closing ceremony on the 21st. And all for an event where if you were to have a bad day or two, then you're essentially done, no medal and you're not playing for a cut of any generous purse.

I'm not sure what the protocol for the golfer's is, as in can they just fly in the week of the event and fly home straight after. I'm sure they would need to be available at short notice for random drug testing for the duration of the games. Not sure that the conditions are for competitors. If that's the case then it's 3 weeks all in during their season for the Olympics.

No, you are not compelled to attend the Opening or Closing ceremonies. You can fly in a day or two before your event if you wish. Derval O'Rourke did that for London 2012. Rather than going to a team camp, she preferred the comfort of training and sleeping in a familiar environment. Eamonn Coghlan said the only opening ceremony he attended was his last Games when he knew he had no hope of being competitive. A lot of people skip the opening ceremony.

The closing ceremony is a party, nothing more, nothing less. If the golfer wants to have a bit of craic with people from other sports, he/she can do so. If he/she wants to be boring and not integrate with others from different sports and soak in the whole unique experience, that's fine too.

Sergio committed to playing for Spain in spite of the risks he says.

Exactly wrote: »
    Sergio committed to playing for Spain in spite of the risks he says.

Well in line with the previous conspiracy theories that suggested McIlroy et al were baling because of their sponsorship deals with equipment and apparel suppliers not represented at the Olympics, it may be worth pointing out that Garcia is sponsored by Taylormade-Adidas Golf......

.......who have had some 'financial entanglements' with the IOC in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

And Henrik Stensen is in. Said he's more afraid of bears than mosquitos. Always good for a quip...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Andy Sullivan, who's well down the pecking order for the UK has said he won't go even if he's selected.

Citing a combination of Zika & the general level of security (or lack thereof) in Brazil, particularly for the golf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

And Henrik Stensen is in. Said he's more afraid of bears than mosquitos. Always good for a quip...

Stenson is one funny guy, very witty

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Jaco van Zyl pulls out of The Open and USPGA to focus on Rio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Jaco van Zyl pulls out of The Open and USPGA to focus on Rio

Just my opinion, but that is ridiculous. To each their own however.

His full statement can be read here http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jaco-van-zyl-withdraws-from-two-majors-to-play-in-the-olympics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

HighLine wrote: »
    Just my opinion, but that is ridiculous. To each their own however.

His full statement can be read here http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jaco-van-zyl-withdraws-from-two-majors-to-play-in-the-olympics

Probably feels he has a decent chance of winning considering the relative weakness of the field and can set himself up for life with sponsorship opportunities (as Padraig Harrington seemed to allude to) if he's an Olympic medalist.

Doesn't really reflect well on him as a proper player though.

First of the Americans to drop... Spieth to be the next one I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

And now speith isn't going to play. World number 1-4 gone.

World number 1,2,3 and 4 out. Silly at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

HighLine wrote: »
    First of the Americans to drop... Spieth to be the next one I would think.

Let's hear it for he Spiethster.
    Golf really getting a great boost out of it effectively snubbing the olympics, even if they will find 60 saps to turn up at it.
    Will it even have the field standard of a run of the mill European tour event ?
    Are there any world ranking points going for it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Let's hear it for he Spiethster.
    Golf really getting a great boost out of it effectively snubbing the olympics, even if they will find 60 saps to turn up at it.
    Will it even have the field standard of a run of the mill European tour event ?
    Are there any world ranking points going for it ?

I think I read before that there are world ranking points. But that is no issue really as world ranking points are only based on the field, so with the mass exodus there won't be top ranking points available

Rors acknowledges golf in the olympics is a trifle :

"I'm very happy with the decision I made and I've no regrets about it. I'll probably watch the Olympics but I'm not sure golf will be one of the events I watch.Probably the events like track and field, swimming, diving, the stuff that matters. I've been tested by the IGF this year ... but it was only a urine test. I haven't been blood-tested yet.You can't really pick up HGH (human growth hormone) in a urine test, so I could use HGH and get away with it. " he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Rors acknowledges golf in the olympics is a trifle :

"I'm very happy with the decision I made and I've no regrets about it. I'll probably watch the Olympics but I'm not sure golf will be one of the events I watch.Probably the events like track and field, swimming, diving, the stuff that matters. I've been tested by the IGF this year ... but it was only a urine test. I haven't been blood-tested yet.You can't really pick up HGH (human growth hormone) in a urine test, so I could use HGH and get away with it. " he said.

He must be seriously pissed off over the whole thing.

He almost said the "stuff that matters" earlier on in his answer. You could see him consciously watching what he said. But then he went away and said it anyway, in what I would consider a very pointed way. It was bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Wish Rory had said that from the start but I'm glad he did and I have more respect for him after today. I don't think there is one genuine golf fan out there who cares about golf being in Rio.

Who are the people that care about growing the game? The only people who care about that are those who can earn money from it. The game of golf is a huge global sport and the effect the olympics could have on it would be negligible. People who can't afford shoes in Rio or who live in shacks in India won't be going out buying a new set of clubs and paying membership any time soon, whether they see golf on terrestrial tv or not.

The only people who are up in arms about this are the people who don't understand the game of golf and think for some reason the olympics is the only place where one can represent their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Wish Rory had said that from the start but I'm glad he did and I have more respect for him after today. I don't think there is one genuine golf fan out there who cares about golf being in Rio.

Who are the people that care about growing the game? The only people who care about that are those who can earn money from it. The game of golf is a huge global sport and the effect the olympics could have on it would be negligible. People who can't afford shoes in Rio or who live in shacks in India won't be going out buying a new set of clubs and paying membership any time soon, whether they see golf on terrestrial tv or not.

The only people who are up in arms about this are the people who don't understand the game of golf and think for some reason the olympics is the only place where one can represent their country.

I totally agree too. He could have come out and said it ages ago, but then again can understand why he may have felt he couldn't. The only thing is I hope he doesn't to a 180 degree turn in four years time and starts telling us how much he loves it. He kind of did that with the Ryder Cup, although I think that situation was somewhat different than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yea but i suppose when you are the first one to go, it is not so easy to tell it the way it is. easier now that everyone else has jumped ship after him

This is exactly the great thing about golf. Apart from the once in two years Ryder Cup which is a US team against a cobbled together one (I couldnt even tell you what nationalities are elgible to play for 'Europe', and doubt many could), it is an individual sport. It is the individual who wins. He plays for himself. It is a beautifully selfish and individual sport - almost man playing against his inner self as much as against the course or other players. It moves beyond the randomness of international borders, and is true sport - best man wins. And for himself. Not for some colour shirt that identifies him with millions of others whom chance has thrown the same passport.
    Golfers are proof of this in their eschewing of the olympic flag waving nonsense. The whole business of the drop outs, and that it will now be a sub European tour level non-event, is terrific for the profile of golf as a sport of integrity, and has done far more good than the International Golf Federation, or whatever they are, could have achieved by sullying golf with a full embrace of the olympic miasma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

This is exactly the great thing about golf. Apart from the once in two years Ryder Cup which is a US team against a cobbled together one (I couldnt even tell you what nationalities are elgible to play for 'Europe', and doubt many could), it is an individual sport. It is the individual who wins. He plays for himself. It is a beautifully selfish and individual sport - almost man playing against his inner self as much as against the course or other players. It moves beyond the randomness of international borders, and is true sport - best man wins. And for himself. Not for some colour shirt that identifies him with millions of others whom chance has thrown the same passport.
    Golfers are proof of this in their eschewing of the olympic flag waving nonsense. The whole business of the drop outs, and that it will now be a sub European tour level non-event, is terrific for the profile of golf as a sport of integrity, and has done far more good than the International Golf Federation, or whatever they are, could have achieved by sullying golf with a full embrace of the olympic miasma.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

About time someone had the balls to come out and give the real reason why most top golfers don't give a toss about golf in the Olympics. The plain fact is that it will get sod all TV time when it has to compete with all of the other sports - I can't recall seeing one minute of tennis for example from London 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Well, I don't know what exactly honesty is supposed to mean in this context - I can't read people's minds - but, yes, I'd have been ok, if at some point before now, McIlroy had come out and said, "well, this is a tough decision, and i'm sorry to disappoint people, but I just don't believe enough in golf being an Olympic event, so don't wish to take the opportunity away from someone who does." Perhaps there are good reasons why couldn't do so, if that's what he believes. Either way, I'm not bothered he's not going as I don't believe in golf as an appropriate Olympic event anyway.
    Rory's statement today might explain honesty...

Advertisement