Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf at the Olympics

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Rory's not going man - have you not heard?

Hypothetical example :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

The Majors. The Ryder Cup probably ahead of the Olympics as well for those that are eligible.

For the top golfers in the world, who have the luxury to pick and choose their schedules, the olympics is lower in the pecking order than any other events they will play in the calendar year.

they are already household names. for ladies' golf this event may have more significance as it will arguably get more coverage than their majors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I don't get the "upsets the schedule" argument, its not like the Olympics was announced yesterday, they know months if not years in advance when its on and the possibility of playing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I don't get the "upsets the schedule" argument, its not like the Olympics was announced yesterday, they know months if not years in advance when its on and the possibility of playing there.

The assumption would be that they would need to participate in the Opening Ceremony on the 5th August with their countries delegation. The actual event itself for the men is from the 11th to the 14th.

So it's the travelling to the games, straight after competing in the PGA, and then waiting a week (two weeks for the women) to compete then waiting (not sure if that's mandatory) for the closing ceremony on the 21st. And all for an event where if you were to have a bad day or two, then you're essentially done, no medal and you're not playing for a cut of any generous purse.

I'm not sure what the protocol for the golfer's is, as in can they just fly in the week of the event and fly home straight after. I'm sure they would need to be available at short notice for random drug testing for the duration of the games. Not sure that the conditions are for competitors. If that's the case then it's 3 weeks all in during their season for the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Paddy is skipping the opening ceremony anyway. I'm sure they'd be grand to just fly in for the tournament and then go home. Unless they have something better to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

charlieIRL wrote: »

because its led to a compression of the schedule - and that's combined with the Ryder Cup.

And given the cycle of the Olympics and the Ryder Cup, they are always going to
    clash.

If they want golfers to take golf in the Olympics seriously then they probably need to find away to make it "valuable" in terms of ranking points and/or Ryder Cup qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

valoren wrote: »
    The assumption would be that they would need to participate in the Opening Ceremony on the 5th August with their countries delegation. The actual event itself for the men is from the 11th to the 14th.

So it's the travelling to the games, straight after competing in the PGA, and then waiting a week (two weeks for the women) to compete then waiting (not sure if that's mandatory) for the closing ceremony on the 21st. And all for an event where if you were to have a bad day or two, then you're essentially done, no medal and you're not playing for a cut of any generous purse.

I'm not sure what the protocol for the golfer's is, as in can they just fly in the week of the event and fly home straight after. I'm sure they would need to be available at short notice for random drug testing for the duration of the games. Not sure that the conditions are for competitors. If that's the case then it's 3 weeks all in during their season for the Olympics.

No, you are not compelled to attend the Opening or Closing ceremonies. You can fly in a day or two before your event if you wish. Derval O'Rourke did that for London 2012. Rather than going to a team camp, she preferred the comfort of training and sleeping in a familiar environment. Eamonn Coghlan said the only opening ceremony he attended was his last Games when he knew he had no hope of being competitive. A lot of people skip the opening ceremony.

The closing ceremony is a party, nothing more, nothing less. If the golfer wants to have a bit of craic with people from other sports, he/she can do so. If he/she wants to be boring and not integrate with others from different sports and soak in the whole unique experience, that's fine too.

Sergio committed to playing for Spain in spite of the risks he says.

Exactly wrote: »
    Sergio committed to playing for Spain in spite of the risks he says.

Well in line with the previous conspiracy theories that suggested McIlroy et al were baling because of their sponsorship deals with equipment and apparel suppliers not represented at the Olympics, it may be worth pointing out that Garcia is sponsored by Taylormade-Adidas Golf......

.......who have had some 'financial entanglements' with the IOC in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

And Henrik Stensen is in. Said he's more afraid of bears than mosquitos. Always good for a quip...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Andy Sullivan, who's well down the pecking order for the UK has said he won't go even if he's selected.

Citing a combination of Zika & the general level of security (or lack thereof) in Brazil, particularly for the golf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

And Henrik Stensen is in. Said he's more afraid of bears than mosquitos. Always good for a quip...

Stenson is one funny guy, very witty

Jaco van Zyl pulls out of The Open and USPGA to focus on Rio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Jaco van Zyl pulls out of The Open and USPGA to focus on Rio

Just my opinion, but that is ridiculous. To each their own however.

His full statement can be read here http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jaco-van-zyl-withdraws-from-two-majors-to-play-in-the-olympics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

HighLine wrote: »
    Just my opinion, but that is ridiculous. To each their own however.

His full statement can be read here http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jaco-van-zyl-withdraws-from-two-majors-to-play-in-the-olympics

Probably feels he has a decent chance of winning considering the relative weakness of the field and can set himself up for life with sponsorship opportunities (as Padraig Harrington seemed to allude to) if he's an Olympic medalist.

Doesn't really reflect well on him as a proper player though.

First of the Americans to drop... Spieth to be the next one I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

And now speith isn't going to play. World number 1-4 gone.

World number 1,2,3 and 4 out. Silly at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

HighLine wrote: »
    First of the Americans to drop... Spieth to be the next one I would think.

Let's hear it for he Spiethster.
    Golf really getting a great boost out of it effectively snubbing the olympics, even if they will find 60 saps to turn up at it.
    Will it even have the field standard of a run of the mill European tour event ?
    Are there any world ranking points going for it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Let's hear it for he Spiethster.
    Golf really getting a great boost out of it effectively snubbing the olympics, even if they will find 60 saps to turn up at it.
    Will it even have the field standard of a run of the mill European tour event ?
    Are there any world ranking points going for it ?

I think I read before that there are world ranking points. But that is no issue really as world ranking points are only based on the field, so with the mass exodus there won't be top ranking points available

Rors acknowledges golf in the olympics is a trifle :

"I'm very happy with the decision I made and I've no regrets about it. I'll probably watch the Olympics but I'm not sure golf will be one of the events I watch.Probably the events like track and field, swimming, diving, the stuff that matters. I've been tested by the IGF this year ... but it was only a urine test. I haven't been blood-tested yet.You can't really pick up HGH (human growth hormone) in a urine test, so I could use HGH and get away with it. " he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Rors acknowledges golf in the olympics is a trifle :

"I'm very happy with the decision I made and I've no regrets about it. I'll probably watch the Olympics but I'm not sure golf will be one of the events I watch.Probably the events like track and field, swimming, diving, the stuff that matters. I've been tested by the IGF this year ... but it was only a urine test. I haven't been blood-tested yet.You can't really pick up HGH (human growth hormone) in a urine test, so I could use HGH and get away with it. " he said.

He must be seriously pissed off over the whole thing.

He almost said the "stuff that matters" earlier on in his answer. You could see him consciously watching what he said. But then he went away and said it anyway, in what I would consider a very pointed way. It was bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Wish Rory had said that from the start but I'm glad he did and I have more respect for him after today. I don't think there is one genuine golf fan out there who cares about golf being in Rio.

Who are the people that care about growing the game? The only people who care about that are those who can earn money from it. The game of golf is a huge global sport and the effect the olympics could have on it would be negligible. People who can't afford shoes in Rio or who live in shacks in India won't be going out buying a new set of clubs and paying membership any time soon, whether they see golf on terrestrial tv or not.

The only people who are up in arms about this are the people who don't understand the game of golf and think for some reason the olympics is the only place where one can represent their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Wish Rory had said that from the start but I'm glad he did and I have more respect for him after today. I don't think there is one genuine golf fan out there who cares about golf being in Rio.

Who are the people that care about growing the game? The only people who care about that are those who can earn money from it. The game of golf is a huge global sport and the effect the olympics could have on it would be negligible. People who can't afford shoes in Rio or who live in shacks in India won't be going out buying a new set of clubs and paying membership any time soon, whether they see golf on terrestrial tv or not.

The only people who are up in arms about this are the people who don't understand the game of golf and think for some reason the olympics is the only place where one can represent their country.

I totally agree too. He could have come out and said it ages ago, but then again can understand why he may have felt he couldn't. The only thing is I hope he doesn't to a 180 degree turn in four years time and starts telling us how much he loves it. He kind of did that with the Ryder Cup, although I think that situation was somewhat different than this one.

yea but i suppose when you are the first one to go, it is not so easy to tell it the way it is. easier now that everyone else has jumped ship after him

This is exactly the great thing about golf. Apart from the once in two years Ryder Cup which is a US team against a cobbled together one (I couldnt even tell you what nationalities are elgible to play for 'Europe', and doubt many could), it is an individual sport. It is the individual who wins. He plays for himself. It is a beautifully selfish and individual sport - almost man playing against his inner self as much as against the course or other players. It moves beyond the randomness of international borders, and is true sport - best man wins. And for himself. Not for some colour shirt that identifies him with millions of others whom chance has thrown the same passport.
    Golfers are proof of this in their eschewing of the olympic flag waving nonsense. The whole business of the drop outs, and that it will now be a sub European tour level non-event, is terrific for the profile of golf as a sport of integrity, and has done far more good than the International Golf Federation, or whatever they are, could have achieved by sullying golf with a full embrace of the olympic miasma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

This is exactly the great thing about golf. Apart from the once in two years Ryder Cup which is a US team against a cobbled together one (I couldnt even tell you what nationalities are elgible to play for 'Europe', and doubt many could), it is an individual sport. It is the individual who wins. He plays for himself. It is a beautifully selfish and individual sport - almost man playing against his inner self as much as against the course or other players. It moves beyond the randomness of international borders, and is true sport - best man wins. And for himself. Not for some colour shirt that identifies him with millions of others whom chance has thrown the same passport.
    Golfers are proof of this in their eschewing of the olympic flag waving nonsense. The whole business of the drop outs, and that it will now be a sub European tour level non-event, is terrific for the profile of golf as a sport of integrity, and has done far more good than the International Golf Federation, or whatever they are, could have achieved by sullying golf with a full embrace of the olympic miasma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

About time someone had the balls to come out and give the real reason why most top golfers don't give a toss about golf in the Olympics. The plain fact is that it will get sod all TV time when it has to compete with all of the other sports - I can't recall seeing one minute of tennis for example from London 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Well, I don't know what exactly honesty is supposed to mean in this context - I can't read people's minds - but, yes, I'd have been ok, if at some point before now, McIlroy had come out and said, "well, this is a tough decision, and i'm sorry to disappoint people, but I just don't believe enough in golf being an Olympic event, so don't wish to take the opportunity away from someone who does." Perhaps there are good reasons why couldn't do so, if that's what he believes. Either way, I'm not bothered he's not going as I don't believe in golf as an appropriate Olympic event anyway.
    Rory's statement today might explain honesty...

Braken wrote: »
    Rory's statement today might explain honesty...

It was an interview rather than a statement which I haven't read in full, but it does seem that he's giving the full explanation he couldn't give earlier for one reason or another. Doesn't really bother me either way. I'm guessing he was under a lot of pressure and felt he'd be damned whatever way he chose to handle it. One of the "perks" of being the world's highest profile golfer that McIlroy wouldn't mind living without I reckon.

Golf is non existent in Eastern Europe and Russia, all of Africa bar white South Africa, pretty much all of Asia except Japan and Korea, most of South and Central America excluding Argentina, Colombia and Mexico.

Golf is far from a global game. The Olympics would help grow the sport, but maybe like rugby people, golfers don't really care and are happy to keep it as a wealthy first world sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I like Rory but I don't like what he said I must say. I get a sense of score settling from this one. I may be wrong. People may applaud his honesty but I think it is a little bit spiteful and definitely disrespectful of the guys who are going to play.

Honesty is all well and good but complete honesty is dangerous. Take the film Liar, Liar for example. If we were all 100% honest about everything life would become very interesting - and difficult.

And talking about not his job to grow the game ? Of course its not but I don't think its too much to ask for someone who has made their living from something to give a little back. I am not saying he doesn't - I believe he does. But his words go against this and again give me the impression he is angry at someone in all this. And I am not sure who. But I think he should have been the bigger man here.

An article here on what this means for Irish team:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/comment-rory-mcilroys-blunt-olympic-honesty-was-a-massive-slap-in-the-face-to-two-irish-legends-34878401.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I think the words I have the biggest problem with is "stuff that matters" what a way to tell a lot of sportspeople they don't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Hinting at Katie Taylor id say. Everyone has opinions an that doesnt make us all right. It should of been amateurs who played in this anyway.

• Advertisement

I don't have the hots for Rory McIlroy or anything, much as I love watching him play when he's in the zone, but on this I'll defend him. His comments definitely did come across a little bit spiteful, maybe unnecessarily so, but I'm guessing he's just a bit fed up with this being a constant issue for him and he feels it was expected of him that he'd be a poster boy for Rio and a leader of the chorus line despite them never consulting him about it.

Zach Johnson said pretty much the same things as Rory the day before, a little more eloquently probably, but I didn't see anybody taking much notice. I get that McIlroy appeared to be contradicting an earlier position but still....

As for that indo article, can't think a greater load of cr@p will be written about it quite frankly. I'm sure harrington and mcginley will get over it. If McIlroy never does anything else for Irish golf, the fact that he virtually single-handedly secured the future of the Irish Open is worth more than playing in 5 Olympic games in my view.

I don't have the hots for Rory McIlroy or anything, much as I love watching him play when he's in the zone, but on this I'll defend him. His comments definitely did come across a little bit spiteful, maybe unnecessarily so, but I'm guessing he's just a bit fed up with this being a constant issue for him and he feels it was expected of him that he'd be a poster boy for Rio and a leader of the chorus line despite them never consulting him about it.

Zach Johnson said pretty much the same things as Rory the day before, a little more eloquently probably, but I didn't see anybody taking much notice. I get that McIlroy appeared to be contradicting an earlier position but still....

As for that indo article, can't think a greater load of cr@p will be written about it quite frankly. I'm sure harrington and mcginley will get over it. If McIlroy never does anything else for Irish golf, the fact that he virtually single-handedly secured the future of the Irish Open is worth more than playing in 5 Olympic games in my view.

I think you're wrong here. Not doubting what he has done for Irish golf but a little bit more thought and I don't think he would have said what he said. He should have shown more respect for those involved especially the Irish lads.

I have no doubt he has been under huge pressure and is doing a little bit of his own fighting back at some comments from others but I think this was the wrong way to do it.

Apart from the once in two years Ryder Cup which is a US team against a cobbled together one (I couldnt even tell you what nationalities are elgible to play for 'Europe', and doubt many could), it is an individual sport.

Really? I'll give you a clue. It's a "European" team. Players are European. Europe is made up of many countries, and if you are from one of them, then you can play on the team. If you are not from one of them countries, well then you can't! Simple really.

As for the team being "cobbled together". Is it any more "cobbled together" than the US team. I think you are being very disingenuous to the European Ryder Cup team here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think anyone who turns down the opportunity to promote their game at all - is very very naïve.

There isn't a person in golf - who really cares about golf or understands it , that doesn't know the struggle that the game is facing. Be it the R&A - GUI - Golf Clubs - Tours - Golf journalists.

Golf is known as a very selfish and insular sport. This episode has highlighted that again.

There is a litany of sports that were once big and then just became an also ran.

There is one sport that is totally impenetrable to idiocy - and that is Soccer. You can basically do anything you like to soccer and it will be loved the world over. FIFA have shown that.

Golf and people in golf are almost Nero like, when they laugh off the Olympics.

Olympic Reach 3.6 Billion.

Total viewers of Ryder Cup - 6 million. And the way they go on about it in their jumpers.

Monty was spot on last night - criticising the pros. Fair play to him.
    Many pros went to considerable effort to get this in. Not out of self interest or for financial gain - for the love of the game and to grow the game.

Golf is not just about winning majors and money. It is far more important than that.

I would have liked it to be an amateur event at Olympics.

But it is in - off to a bad start , but keep it in.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    I think you're wrong here. Not doubting what he has done for Irish golf but a little bit more thought and I don't think he would have said what he said. He should have shown more respect for those involved especially the Irish lads.

I have no doubt he has been under huge pressure and is doing a little bit of his own fighting back at some comments from others but I think this was the wrong way to do it.

Seems to me McIlroy doesn't handle the pressure of being the world's highest profile golfer all that well. He's still a bit immature I think, but lots of 20 somethings (and even 30 somethings) are, they just don't inhabit the same goldfish bowl he does and get their words parsed and analysed like he constantly does. In hindsight, he'd have cut this ties with all this business months, maybe years, ago, but he obviously couldn't summon the moral courage to do so and let himself be sucked into the hype vortex and said what people wanted him to say. I don't think he's totally innocent, but some of the commentary is approaching the point of lunacy in my view.

And I don't know what he's supposed to say. People wanted the truth, now he gives it, and still it's not acceptable. He'll just never win really. A little more thought to make up a better story perhaps? A few mealy mouthed words about how sorry he is to let down the legends? He probably doesn't do great PR sometimes, but I'm not going to knock him for that.

• Advertisement

I think anyone who turns down the opportunity to promote their game at all - is very very naïve.

There isn't a person in golf - who really cares about golf or understands it , that doesn't know the struggle that the game is facing. Be it the R&A - GUI - Golf Clubs - Tours - Golf journalists.

Golf is known as a very selfish and insular sport. This episode has highlighted that again.

There is a litany of sports that were once big and then just became an also ran.

There is one sport that is totally impenetrable to idiocy - and that is Soccer. You can basically do anything you like to soccer and it will be loved the world over. FIFA have shown that.

Golf and people in golf are almost Nero like, when they laugh off the Olympics.

Olympic Reach 3.6 Billion.

Total viewers of Ryder Cup - 6 million. And the way they go on about it in their jumpers.

Monty was spot on last night - criticising the pros. Fair play to him.
    Many pros went to considerable effort to get this in. Not out of self interest or for financial gain - for the love of the game and to grow the game.

Golf is not just about winning majors and money. It is far more important than that.

I would have liked it to be an amateur event at Olympics.

But it is in - off to a bad start , but keep it in.

Naivety.... Hmm, well maybe when Rory made stupid comments about the "exhibition" Ryder cup when he was barely out of nappies he could have been considered to being Naïve. He has grown up a lot since then.

Fair play to all the pros for the hard work they done to get golf in the Olympics. But maybe they were the ones being Naïve. The fought hard to get it in because they (I'm not sure who were the guys involved) wanted it. But in their naivety did they overlook speaking and discussing with the guys who they wanted to play in it? It seems so.

I am another who thinks it should have been an amateur event. And they should have had a change from the norm. Yea, if you brought amateurs there, there would be no scheduling conflict. They could have had a mixed, a match play, a team and a bloody strokes!! Very few drop outs I bet!

Oh yea and Fix, I think you might be Naïve also. 3.6 billion watching the Olympics!!! well maybe, but do you think 3.6 billion watched the horse jumping dresser thing they do (sorry Charlie) or the fencing, or the gymnastics, or the.......... :D

Seems to me McIlroy doesn't handle the pressure of being the world's highest profile golfer all that well. He's still a bit immature I think, but lots of 20 somethings (and even 30 somethings) are, they just don't inhabit the same goldfish bowl he does and get their words parsed and analysed like he constantly does. In hindsight, he'd have cut this ties with all this business months, maybe years, ago, but he obviously couldn't summon the moral courage to do so and let himself be sucked into the hype vortex and said what people wanted him to say. I don't think he's totally innocent, but some of the commentary is approaching the point of lunacy in my view.

And I don't know what he's supposed to say. People wanted the truth, now he gives it, and still it's not acceptable. He'll just never win really. A little more thought to make up a better story perhaps? A few mealy mouthed words about how sorry he is to let down the legends? He probably doesn't do great PR sometimes, but I'm not going to knock him for that.

They don't really. They may think they do but they really don't. And if they sat down and thought about it they'd realise that.

A good a reason as any to watch this again :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

And just think. All this controversy could so easily have been avoided if he had kept schtum, said nothing, made all the plans to go........ then bang, hit by a bloody toothache the night before he was to leave. :eek:

alxmorgan wrote: »
    They don't really. They may think they do but they really don't. And if they sat down and thought about it they'd realise that.

A good a reason as any to watch this again :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

I agree totally with this ;)

Seve OB wrote: »
    And just think. All this controversy could so easily have been avoided if he had kept schtum, said nothing, made all the plans to go........ then bang, hit by a bloody toothache the night before he was to leave. :eek:

I also concur vehemently with this :cool:

Can people stop talking about it being an amateur event. The Olympics has not been amateur since the 70s or 80s. Golf in the Games should either be open to all professionals, or not in it at all, like all sports in the Games (except boxing which is changing now). People argue that the Olympics should be the pinnacle, yet think having it as an amateur event is the way to go. That's a massive contradiction. Amateur golf is not the pinnacle of golf. No way should a bunch of nobodies be competing at the Games, when you've got Bolt, Federer, Phelps etc competing in other sports.

The Olympics should be a unique matchplay format team competition. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I think the words I have the biggest problem with is "stuff that matters" what a way to tell a lot of sportspeople they don't count.

He had the balls to come out and say what he thinks. Whether or not people agree with that, is optional and there will always be fallout.
    I don't think he purposely put down other sports people by his comments.
    Who here actually think professional golfers should participate in the Olimpics?
    The stuff that matters is amateurs - in the Olimpics
    I for one am delighted he came out and said what he did and wasn't a typical vanilla sports pro statement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Can people stop talking about it being an amateur event. The Olympics has not been amateur since the 70s or 80s. Golf in the Games should either be open to all professionals, or not in it at all, like all sports in the Games (except boxing which is changing now). People argue that the Olympics should be the pinnacle, yet think having it as an amateur event is the way to go. That's a massive contradiction. Amateur golf is not the pinnacle of golf. No way should a bunch of nobodies be competing at the Games, when you've got Bolt, Federer, Phelps etc competing in other sports.

The Olympics should be a unique matchplay format team competition. Simple as that.

I don't think you will find very many who have said the Olympics should be the pinnacle of golf. Golf already has a pinnacle, and Olympics is way down the pecking order.

Olympic golf on the other hand, could well have been the pinnacle for amateur golf had this whole mess have been handled properly.

cadaliac wrote: »
    He had the balls to come out and say what he thinks. Whether or not people agree with that, is optional and there will always be fallout.
    I don't think he purposely put down other sports people by his comments.
    Who here actually think professional golfers should participate in the Olimpics?
    The stuff that matters is amateurs - in the Olimpics
    I for one am delighted he came out and said what he did and wasn't a typical vanilla sports pro statement

Again, the Olympics is not an amateur event. It has not been for many many years. Educate yourself on it before posting. Do you honestly think Usain Bolt and Mo Farah are amateurs?

Seve OB wrote: »
    I don't think you will find very many who have said the Olympics should be the pinnacle of golf. Golf already has a pinnacle, and Olympics is way down the pecking order.

Olympic golf on the other hand, could well have been the pinnacle for amateur golf had this whole mess have been handled properly.

Trust me, nobody would want to watch it though. The best way forward from here is to make it the pinnacle of team professional golf. 4 per team, all matchplay foreballs and foresomes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement