Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you buy ready made meals.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The only ready made meal I would purchase is the goodfellas thin & crispy pizza, very nice. Other than that I make my own food and is much more tastier than any of those processed ready meals. It doesn't take that long to make your own food and cook it.

You folk should be ashamed of yourselves eating that terrible ready meal stuff, very unhealthy dudes.

Calibos wrote: »
    Your a right Artisan Persepoly! ;)

Just wait until I tell you about my exercise routine!! :p

The only ready made meal I would purchase is the goodfellas thin & crispy pizza, very nice. Other than that I make my own food and is much more tastier than any of those processed ready meals. It doesn't take that long to make your own food and cook it.

You folk should be ashamed of yourselves smoking that terrible weed stuff, very unhealthy dudes.

FYP.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Ye got me there :pac:

Ye got me there :pac:

Waah Waah :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

Avoca have a selection of ready made meals in approx litre tubs @ 11 euros

The Indian chicken curry is to die for, but they have lots of others

It makes 2 portions and with your own boiled rice is 6 euro a meal. Absolutely amazing food, a real treat and 3 mins in the micro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

FYP.

:p
    I can't believe I only now deciphered their screen name. Up to now I just thought it was some random jibberish. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I love the M&S meals, and like the fact that you bung most of them in the oven for up to an hour, instead of doing them quickly in a microwave

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Pretty much everything I eat is ready meals, on account of being a student and having limited time, fridge space, and motivation.:p

I mainly eat pasta/spaghetti, stir frys, or curry, so it's all jar sauces for me. Although I do defrost and dice the chicken myself, that I'm quite proud of.

I really just can't see the point in spending an hour cooking a dinner when I could achieve the same in 15 minutes (or 3 for a microwave meal if I'm extra lazy or pressed for time)

Ready Meal Revolution.

It's on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I really like the Lidl frozen meals chicken tikka masala and chicken Balti but would only get them the odd time but I actually haven't seen them now in ages in any Lidl store? I wonder have the stopped making them does anyone know, they would have a korma and jalfrezzi one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The OH hates when i eat ready made crap....but still, she bought chicken kievs yesterday and spwedges for my dinner. It was muck! I used to eat ready made meals and convenience foods daily. I even loved the meatballs and mash they sell in IKEA. I'm glad to say I don't have them as much as I used to and my waist line says thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I would never eat a ready meal. They are only for lazy, slovenly people.

I much prefer to fly to Italy on a regular basis and get freshly made pasta. When there I also supervise the care of some calves because on my next trip I'll be slicing chunks off of them to bring home.

My garden is full of vegetables. Why go to the shop like the other plebs when I grow my own? I also have goats. In the evening I like nothing better than to make cheese from their milk.

I catch my own fish in a little boat I acquired. Off I go with my rod and bring back a lovely haul of trout and salmon. It's so simple that anyone could do it.

The best thing about all of this is it only takes ten minutes.

You dont happen to work in the finance industry in Germany where you complain about the IT department do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

No I wouldn't be a fan of ready made meals. They're just not nice.

The wife has been confined to bed for a few days so I bought one of those corn fed chickens from Tesco and boiled it with a little ginger, scallions and wolfberries. Made broccoli in oyster sauce and cooked rice and it was good for a couple of dinners and a lunch. The chicken soup is the drink of the gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I eat those pasta pots from dolmio and used to eat the microwaveable dolmio pasta in the packet . tasted a bit like rubber but I liked it anyway.

those rustlers burgers can go die a horrific death. had one before and the taste of absolute nothing off them. never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ready meals are more nutrious than cooking from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I love Cully & Sully ready meals as a treat, and I can't see anything in the ingredients that would put me off them. The main deterrent is the price, but as I'm usually only cooking for one, it's hard to use up loads of fresh ingredients. So I can justify the odd readymade C&S lasagna or cottage pie!

I'd also often buy the readymade stir-frys etc from the local butchers, although I'm not sure if they count as you do actually have to cook them - they just have all the veg/spices included. Again, when cooking for one, it's a more economical option rather than buying a load of peppers etc that I won't end up using.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yes I'm a terrible cook so I always buy them. There are some good healthy tasty ones available now though in fairness. Options were limited years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I do absolutely have to admit that the quality of readymade meals here is vastly superior to the quality of readymade stuff in the US. Standards are just higher and there's no jiggerypokery about the labelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Robsweezie wrote: »

those rustlers burgers can go die a horrific death. had one before and the taste of absolute nothing off them. never again.

My other half actually likes them. When he takes a trip home to his family his mother will always have a couple of them in the fridge in case he's 'peckish'.

They are vile. I have questioned our relationship a few times while seeing him eat a rustlers :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

We usually have some frozen pizzas in the freezer, but that's about the extend of it.
    I've tried the readymade pasta sauces and have yet to find one that would actually make me want to finish the plate.

I did recently buy a microwave meal, mostly out of curiosity. My husband doesn't like aubergines, so I don't make moussaka - no point making that for just one person. So I tried Tesco's frozen one. Binned it after the first mouthfull. It was absolutely horrendous.

It's just a taste thing, I guess. I love cooking, it allows me to make it taste exactly the way I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't eat them too often but there are some nice ones. The worst one I ever tasted was Weightwatchers Mac and Cheese....tasted like a hot microwaved gym sock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Speedwell wrote: »
    I do absolutely have to admit that the quality of readymade meals here is vastly superior to the quality of readymade stuff in the US. Standards are just higher and there's no jiggerypokery about the labelling.
    This word makes me smile...that is all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't buy them often, a lot of them are muck. Don't eat jar sauces either cause my own are cheaper and nicer.

Tbh it tastes much better making your own meals, then just putting extra portions in the freezer for when you're busy or lazy.

Don't really care what other people eat though tbh, there's obviously a market for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I buy a pasta bake from M&S every few weeks. If I use sauces (once a month) they are from a jar and soup is from a carton (once or twice a month). Mostly I just eat very simple, plain, boring food but if I was to eat more exciting dishes more often then they would definitely be ready meals. Cooking for one is a pain and the waste is huge. Very little freezer space means nowhere to store any leftovers and lack of fridge space for fresh ingredients once open too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People eating ready meals 4-5 times a week should really look at how much salt and sugar is in their diet.

This stuff is not good for them.

It's definitely easier to make stuff for yourself in larger quantities then portion and freeze what's left and then you have meals for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

For now? Yea, I still buy them occasionally.
    When I have kids and family one day, I will turn into a proper housewife and cook everything from scratch. And will quite enjoy it as well like I do now when I cook every once in a while.

Actually, after reading this thread I ended up getting a ready-made meal last night.
    What's a girl to do? I was hungry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

McCain's Ready Made Jacket Potatoes have to the laziest ready meal of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

I don't eat them too often but there are some nice ones. The worst one I ever tasted was Weightwatchers Mac and Cheese....tasted like a hot microwaved gym sock.

I think the only reason the weight watchers ones are so low calorie is because there's nothing in them!!

There's a difference (IMO) in the likes of the cully and sully stuff, which are generally fresh foods and with a reasonable use by date, and stuff as someone else said, that is good til 2025.

That said. If you've a decent diet and you're having the occasional dolmio stir in sauce to get some food into you with ten minutes to spare, then you're doing yourself no harm. It's really only if you're living on nothing else that you'd have to worry. I just find the jars of sauces very very sickly sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Never buy ready made anything. Much prefer to cook myself a proper meal.

Advertisement