Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you buy ready made meals.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

When I was in college I used to but now I cook everything from scratch at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Robsweezie wrote: »
    I eat those pasta pots from dolmio and used to eat the microwaveable dolmio pasta in the packet . tasted a bit like rubber but I liked it anyway.

those rustlers burgers can go die a horrific death. had one before and the taste of absolute nothing off them. never again.

I thought they were OK, until I had a chunk of plastic in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm a rebel.

I used to buy those Ready Made Meal Deals for Two.

Then I'd eat 'em all myself.

Fight the Power!

Stick it to Marks and Spencers the Man!

I very rarely buy ready meals (excluding frozen pizza) but I would eat out or get take away 2 or 3 times every week (mostly at weekends) and buy lunch everyday.

There are some really good fresh ready meals (not frozen) now though being sold by the likes of supervale or in butchers. Cottage pie, lasagnes, currys etc which are very like what you would make at home.

You dont happen to work in the finance industry in Germany where you complain about the IT department do you?

Well funny you should mention that. I have a chap who does a bit of ground maintenance for me. With all my catching of fish and slicing up cattle I don't have the time. He's a bit odd but harmless. You know the type. 40, lives with his mam, wouldn't know one end of a woman from the other, or indeed man. Andy or something is his name.

Anyways it turns out Andy lives an entirely delusional life. In his head he is a wealthy financier working for a large German bank. I had to call around to his house with his wages and there he was at the kitchen table in his stained pj's happily regaling the internet with tales of his success and high living.

How sad thought I as I made my way back to my Aston Martin. It's pillar box green don't you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'd watch those tins of tomatoes you buy in some supermarkets. Full of Sugar. I know LIDL do a pretty good tin though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

i bought a halogen oven recently. one of the best buys i have ever done. i cook fish, chicken, steak, beef burgers, prawns, chips etc in it. only takes 20ish minutes.

saves me a fortune in buying microwave meals or buy carvery dinners.

i would recommend it to anyone who cant cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I know I shouldn't and to be fair, Herself is a great cook and cooks lots for scratch but I'd have no problem getting stuck into a ready meal. Can't even use time as an excuse, usually just lazy :p

There's a certain pasta meal that I particular like, I'm sure it's shocking bad for me but I love it. I'll get better someday but for now, tasty food is tasty food :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I thought they were OK, until I had a chunk of plastic in one.

I found a zip in a bisto Bolognese ready meal a few years ago :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

On occasion I do. However I never give ready meals to my kids. It's more for my OH who can't cook to save his life so he likes to have one or two in the fridge/ freezer for such an emergency when I'm not around ;)

You can get some that aren't so bad. The traffic light system is great for checking salt/ sugar / fat contents.

FYI there are no rules about how producers colour code any form of traffic light system they use, which leads to ridiculously misleading labelling like this:

VcCnl58.jpg

AM2Fj9X.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

B0jangles wrote: »
    FYI there are no rules about how producers colour code any form of traffic light system they use, which leads to ridiculously misleading labelling like this:

VcCnl58.jpg

AM2Fj9X.jpg

Those images don't seem to be working.

I don't need the traffic light system myself as I know what is excessive regarding fat/sugar/salt but it can be good for those with less awareness.

Giblet wrote: »
    I'd watch those tins of tomatoes you buy in some supermarkets. Full of Sugar. I know LIDL do a pretty good tin though.

As in added sugar? I've never noticed tinned tomatoes with added anything!

If it's natural sugar you mean that's expected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Sheep in a field

It's easy to cook/steam some meat, frozen veg and or rice /pasta.

Just throw it in there and Wait.

Those images don't seem to be working.

I don't need the traffic light system myself as I know what is excessive regarding fat/sugar/salt but it can be good for those with less awareness.

That's weird, the links are fine for me, anyway I've attached them to this post.

I just found what Knorr have done to be really against the spirit of what the traffic light system is supposed to achieve, they are basically relying on people assuming Green=Good and not seeing the actual information about salt content.

Giblet wrote: »

Think you must be thinking of jars of sauces etc. Chopped tomatoes, passata etc never have things added as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Think you must be thinking of jars of sauces etc. Chopped tomatoes, passata etc never have things added as far as I remember.

I used to eat a lot of tinned "stewed tomatoes" in the US, until I saw how much sugar was typically added to them. You really do need to read labels. But in general you're right. Passata should have no sugar and "chopped tomatoes" or "whole tomatoes in juice" should not have sugar either.

I've noticed most passata here in Ireland has quite a lot of added salt, so I just liquidize a tin of whole or chopped tomatoes instead - the ordinary ones from Lidl or Aldi have no added anything in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

B0jangles wrote: »
    I've noticed most passata here in Ireland has quite a lot of added salt, so I just liquidize a tin of whole or chopped tomatoes instead - the ordinary ones from Lidl or Aldi have no added anything in them.

There is usually salt added to passata - sometimes a huge amount (one carton I saw had something like 30% of your daily recommended amount). I'm living in the UK and there was one brand of passata that didn't have any added salt - and then my local supermarket stopped selling it :mad: Need to go back to just pulverising a tin of tomatoes!

Napolina and Cirio passata have no added salt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

I would never eat a ready meal. They are only for lazy, slovenly people.

I much prefer to fly to Italy on a regular basis and get freshly made pasta. When there I also supervise the care of some calves because on my next trip I'll be slicing chunks off of them to bring home.

My garden is full of vegetables. Why go to the shop like the other plebs when I grow my own? I also have goats. In the evening I like nothing better than to make cheese from their milk.

I catch my own fish in a little boat I acquired. Off I go with my rod and bring back a lovely haul of trout and salmon. It's so simple that anyone could do it.

The best thing about all of this is it only takes ten minutes.

Pfffff. I carved my own fishing boat. Out of a bigger fishing boat.. Which I also carved.

-_-

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Napolina and Cirio passata have no added salt.

I don't know about Cirio, but the Napolina passata sold here does contain salt. It's something like 0.4g per half carton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I get the cully and sully soups the odd time but everything else is pretty much cooked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There are some things that are just far too time consuming to make yourself.

Like passata, tomato sauce, pesto, mayonnaise etc. Buy them - of course I do.

I always have Aldi Cottage pie and Lasagne in the freezer for days I can't be bothered. But that is rare, then again that's what a freezer is for!

I mash spuds with no butter or milk and use an ice cream scoop to open freeze em. They are the biz, and reheat beautifully. Yum feckin Yum.

I always think that some who advocate cooking everything au naturel are spoofers.

Everyone needs a standby for days when you might not be in the mood for cooking.

I think it is called moderation in all things.

Frozen fish and vegetables (apart from carrotts yuk) are great too BTW and not to be knocked either. Fresher than fresh I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

I normally would make my own food but there are days where you just want to not have to worry about it so for those days the ready made stuff is extremely handy

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Don't see the point of spending an hour or more making a meal that I will eat in 2 minutes, then cleaning up after it. Then dealing with managing expiration dates and ingredient quantities- it's not set up for people who live alone.

Obviously, as a result of this attitude I am fat. I think it's a major issue- we haven't cracked the food science problem. If you want to eat healthily, you have no choice but to spend a lot of time and effort cooking. Now that the economy has changed such that both partners in a relationship have to work and you don't have a full time housekeeper, people get married much later or not at all, that is more and more difficult, and kids raised in such an environment(like myself) are set up for obesity problems in life.

We really need to automate our way out of this. There was a time when you had to spend hours a day cleaning clothes, cleaning the house, but we invented stuff like the vacuum and washing/drying machines, lawnmowers, all sorts of gadgets that eliminate a lot of the work involved. But there has been no such revolution for food, cooking at home is still fundamentally the same as it's been for hundreds of years and designed for a world where you have hours a day to prepare stuff from scratch, instead of just a few hours after work in the evening. We need a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't drill for oil when I need to put petrol in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's ridiculously sensationalist. Ready made meals doesn't equate to eating significant quantities of garbage. You could still eat a lot of convenience meals and be a perfectly normal weight. Being fat equals unhealthy but being unhealthy does not equal fat. If you're considerably overweight, it's a problem on your end and not inherently ready made meals.

Too many people throwing around excuses rather than just accept the truth that they are lazy and prefer to eat convenience food. You don't have to slave over a stove for "hours a day". Just cook something on Monday and make enough so that it lasts you the week. It's not rocket science nor is it thesoul-destroying, life-sapping effort it's made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

That's ridiculously sensationalist. Ready made meals doesn't equate to eating significant quantities of garbage. You could still eat a lot of convenience meals and be a perfectly normal weight. Being fat equals unhealthy but being unhealthy does not equal fat. If you're considerably overweight, it's a problem on your end and not inherently ready made meals.

Too many people throwing around excuses rather than just accept the truth that they are lazy and prefer to eat convenience food. You don't have to slave over a stove for "hours a day". Just cook something on Monday and make enough so that it lasts you the week. It's not rocket science nor is it thesoul-destroying, life-sapping effort it's made out to be.

What's wrong with being lazy? My problem is that you don't like cooking, you're ****ed, since we haven't come up with a better way of eating healthily. I actively dislike cooking, I am terrible at it. Made pancakes at the weekend to use up mix that I got for pancake Tuesday, it was a total mess, pancakes burned on the outside and raw batter in the middle, lots of smoke. I just can't cook beyond putting meat in the oven for a set time and boiling some veg/pasta. Any time I've tried it's been a disaster.

Or what I find, is that it's never worth the effort- food I cook for myself and put the time into doesn't taste any better than convenience food. Often it is significantly worse. So why bother? I used to fry chicken on a pan in garlic and then add to my pasta- then I found that just putting the breast in the oven and cutting it up and adding didn't taste any worse and was like 200% less effort, so I don't bother anymore.

• Advertisement

MrMorooka wrote: »
    If you want to eat healthily, you have no choice but to spend a lot of time and effort cooking.

This really is not the case. Perhaps a complete beginner who is making all the wrong recipes has that issue - but with a little improvement you find that you can make all kinds of things really quickly.

Baked things especially as they take little effort to make - and then cook themselves in the oven while you do other things.

Take this for example. You throw a few ingredients in a pan - stir for a few minutes - then lob it all into a baking dish and leave it back for half an hour. Total of 10 minutes actual effort.

Similarly a healthy lunch or light dinner for a hot summers day - lob all these ingredients into a bowl and then take some of your frustrations from the day out by mashing it for 5 minutes.

Even slightly more complicated this recipe takes up 15 to 20 minutes effort. But it is a great one because there is always sauce left over which can be used as a home made pizza base - or thickened further to use as a dip for nachos.

The best and most time saving meals are ones like that - where you are always left with a by-product or left over that goes straight into another meal or snack.

Like many things in life - you will take longer when starting up than you will after a couple of weeks practice. And with a really enjoyable meal you will not be shovelling it in in 2 minutes like you describe. You will savour it and enjoy it.

Which is also another factor in obesity. Taking time to eat slower can actually mean you eat less - because you are not conveyor belting it into your mouth before your body has a chance to say "Stop - that's enough for now".

So with a little initial effort you will get from 1+ hours preparation : 2 minutes eating to something closer to 20 minutes preparation : 20 minutes eating.

As I said in an earlier post - I think one of the modern problems is people often see meals and eating as an inconvenience that gets in the way of the rest of their life. When you say "We need a solution" - maybe consider a mindset change - where you stop viewing food in that way - and view it as a pursuit - a hobby - an enjoyment - and a goal - in and of itself.

It is not just what food we eat in the modern world that is an issue (though it is of course part of the problem) - but it is our entire relationship with food that has become problematic.

Advertisement