Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you buy ready made meals.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I mostly cook from scratch. I've even eliminated some shortcuts I'd have taken previously, like jars of pesto, or curry pastes. I also now make my own humous etc as I've become a bit wary of sugars and other additives used to bulk out ready made products.

I sometimes batch cook sauces etc so that my OH can just defrost them and still have a healthy meal when I'm not around.

Not to say that we still don't have the odd take away/other indulgence, but I justify this because I'm eating food I'm confident in 80% of the time.

I've also tried to eliminate what I think of as the worst takeaways, like McDonalds and Dominos etc. Now I prefer to get Deliveroo from a proper restaurant and its much nicer and just as convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

MrMorooka wrote: »
    What's wrong with being lazy? My problem is that you don't like cooking, you're ****ed, since we haven't come up with a better way of eating healthily. I actively dislike cooking, I am terrible at it. Made pancakes at the weekend to use up mix that I got for pancake Tuesday, it was a total mess, pancakes burned on the outside and raw batter in the middle, lots of smoke. I just can't cook beyond putting meat in the oven for a set time and boiling some veg/pasta. Any time I've tried it's been a disaster.

Or what I find, is that it's never worth the effort- food I cook for myself and put the time into doesn't taste any better than convenience food. Often it is significantly worse. So why bother? I used to fry chicken on a pan in garlic and then add to my pasta- then I found that just putting the breast in the oven and cutting it up and adding didn't taste any worse and was like 200% less effort, so I don't bother anymore.

I understand that but you're blaming being fat on ready made convenience meals when really it's the choices you are making.

Within the spectrum of convenience food there's still an A to Z spectrum of OKish to outright pure junk. Just because you can't cook doesn't mean you have to resort to eating crap from the latter end.

Really there isn't any excuse other than accepting that it's all about choices even if you do eat a lot of convenience food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I never buy ready meals. Can cook better tasting things myself for cheaper so what's the point. Make all sauces etc myself too. Actually I bought a blue dragon stir in stir fry sauce a few weeks ago as I had nothing at home and was home very late from work... It was horrible! Just tasted of sugar and chemicals. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

As I said in an earlier post - I think one of the modern problems is people often see meals and eating as an inconvenience that gets in the way of the rest of their life. When you say "We need a solution" - maybe consider a mindset change - where you stop viewing food in that way - and view it as a pursuit - a hobby - an enjoyment - and a goal - in and of itself.

It is not just what food we eat in the modern world that is an issue (though it is of course part of the problem) - but it is our entire relationship with food that has become problematic.

That is basically the problem yes, and I do see eating as a pain. You can't expect everybody to suddenly turn all holistic and love it as a hobby though. So we need a middle ground of cheap healthy no-effort food, which currently is an oxymoron that doesn't exist.

As for your links- personally none of them appeal to me from a taste perspective, and they all have the problem with ingredients and portion sizes not working for someone living alone. Like, you say reuse the sauce for nachos, when am I going to do that? Once I make my three meals a day, I don't need any other food. If I had a girlfriend over for a movie or something we could share them, but that's not going to happen.

This whole topic just depresses me to be honest.

Thanks taxAHcruel, that Shakshuka recipie looks yumm - will try at the weekend :)

Might have to improvise a bit with the types of peppers as its an american recipe but I see where they're going with it!

• Advertisement

That is basically the problem yes, and I do see eating as a pain. You can't expect everybody to suddenly turn all holistic and love it as a hobby though. So we need a middle ground of cheap healthy no-effort food, which currently is an oxymoron that doesn't exist.

As for your links- personally none of them appeal to me from a taste perspective, and they all have the problem with ingredients and portion sizes not working for someone living alone. Like, you say reuse the sauce for nachos, when am I going to do that? Once I make my three meals a day, I don't need any other food. If I had a girlfriend over for a movie or something we could share them, but that's not going to happen.

Don't let it get you down. Yes its harder alone but batch cooking is your friend. There are plenty of recipes for 2 ppl and then eat half/freeze half for next time.

Or do a supper club with your friends where you take turns cooking for each other once a week.

Food needn't be a chore but you get out what you put in, and I really thing nourishing the only body you have should be a priority. Food is fuel and you want to be giving yourself the best or overtime the effects will show.

I understand that but you're blaming being fat on ready made convenience meals when really it's the choices you are making.

I'm actually not. I'm fat because I had a couple of years where I ate nothing but pizza and chocolate because, in retrospect, I was depressed. Nowadays I eat better in that I'm having smaller portions of stuff from the healthier end of your spectrum, I don't snack and I drink nothing but water. But I'm too lazy to exercise beyond walking to work(45 minutes a day) and a walk along the canal on saturdays(hour and a half).

I also don't really subscribe to the "as an adult it's your own fault" argument. People are basically machines programmed by their environment, and if you are raised in a particular way(both my parents have always worked 9-5 and dinner was always a simple quick meal of chicken/poatoes/veg- like, I have never even eaten the dishes mentioned in the recipes at the top of this page) you are highly unlikely to be able to act differently.

Or do a supper club with your friends where you take turns cooking for each other once a week.

lol, I'd have to get friends first.

You can't expect everybody to suddenly turn all holistic and love it as a hobby though.

That is not a requirement. But it helps for sure. But at some point something has to give. As you say yourself - the current situation depresses you. Me at the opposite end of the continuum is not your thing either - as I am relatively extreme in that regard in how I approach the whole area of food.

But there is a whole range in between. And if your and my current extreme are not conducive to your happiness - that does not end the possibilities.
    So we need a middle ground of cheap healthy no-effort food, which currently is an oxymoron that doesn't exist.

It does. You probably - like the links I gave - would just dismiss them on grounds of taste though. For example you do not get much cheaper - healthier - and low effort - than a pack of carrots and some cream cheese to dip them in. 120 seconds preperation max. :) And a basic vegetable stir fry does not exactly break the time or money bank either.

My links were just random - but there are 1 million others - I doubt you could write _them all_ off purely on grounds of taste :)

And actually portion size is not particularly a good excuse either - as many meals can be viewed as a two or three day dinner. So you cook once and eat it for three days. So in fact not only is portion size not an excuse - it is quite the opposite - unless you are anally fixated on not eating the same dinner 2 or more days in a row.
    Like, you say reuse the sauce for nachos, when am I going to do that? Once I make my three meals a day, I don't need any other food.

I also suggested using it as a pizza base. Tomato sauces are _highly_ versatile. But as for when would you do it? The next day for the next dinner or lunch would be one example. Nachos can be a meal in and of themselves you know. They do not have to be a snack or movie food. Nachoes - covered in tomato sauce - covered in quickly fried mince or chicken - and/or covered in quickly sliced up avocado - - - thats an entire meal in less than 10 minutes.

I also don't really subscribe to the "as an adult it's your own fault" argument. People are basically machines programmed by their environment, and if you are raised in a particular way(both my parents have always worked 9-5 and dinner was always a simple quick meal of chicken/poatoes/veg- like, I have never even eaten the dishes mentioned in the recipes at the top of this page) you are highly unlikely to be able to act differently.

Seems a little more defeatist to me than it has to be. I myself am the very picture of someone who did exactly that - broke out of what my family and upbringing and college time made me - into the exact opposite of pretty much everything I ever was.

And it did not even take that much effort either. Just an approach that worked for me. And an incredibly simple approach it was too - both simple in concept - and simple in implementation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yes, but only since the local Centra started doing very decent pre-cooked and packed meals prepared by butchers using proper ingredients - roast beef, bacon-and-cabbage, beef stew, and chicken of some description, but I tend to avoid chicken, it bores me unnecessarily. Very good value at a fiver. I do avoid pre-processed, pre-prepared crap as a general rule, though. You can't trust big food companies as far as you'd throw them, the way they horse the salt and sugar into everything. It's no wonder every second person seems to have diabetes or some bloody thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

JustShon wrote: »
    I find cooking for just myself feels lonely and depressing so I use ready meals to shorten the whole experience.

It can be. What I try and do is cook something that will cover 2 or 3 days, so that 30 or 40 minutes spent cooking and prepping covers a couple of dinners. Going through a phase of pork chops atm so I'll cook 4 or 5 to cover 2 nights.

Local shop and butcher do their own ready meals for €6 and they aren't half bad. Even stuff from them is going to be more processed than something you'd cook yourself so I might get 1 a week. Too much added salt and stuff in them to eat more regularly than that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Tinned tomatoes? Dried herbs?

You lazy f*cker!!!

Funnily enough I read recently tinned tomatoes can be better for whatever the good stuff that is in fresh tomatoes is called. Tomato paste can be even better. Don't know what else they put in the paste though!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You can freeze loads of types of vegetables, even a cut onion, make sure it is tightly sealed.

Bolognese or even better, soup, is made for using up stuff near its end, stews as well.

Only read recently that you can freeze most fruits as well, most you just slice up and pop them in small containers.

Garlic and onions will keep for ages and you can use them in all the above. Buy a couple of bottles of those dried herbs, they aren't too expensive and will keep for ages. Great for adding to meat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

K-9, a friendly suggestion. You might want to try multi-quoting :)

JustShon wrote: »
    K-9, a friendly suggestion. You might want to try multi-quoting :)

It would be half a page long then and people hate those!

m.boards isn't great for multi quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

K-9 wrote: »
    It would be half a page long then and people hate those!

m.boards isn't great for multi quotes.

Fair enough, didn't realise you were on mobile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I only eat ready made meals and I microwave them all from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Being single my diet consist of porridge, toast, beans and koka noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Being single my diet consist of porridge, toast, beans and koka noodles.

Whaddaya mean, single? Have yourself and Nancy not been recently reunited?

Unless...did you end up downstairs when she went upstairs? ;)

Or did she end up down below while you went up above? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

maudgonner wrote: »
    Whaddaya mean, single? Have yourself and Nancy not been recently reunited?

Unless...did you end up downstairs when she went upstairs? ;)

Or did she end up down below while you went up above? :eek:

I'm not sure if this is a "heaven & hell" thing or just a load of euphemisms.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

mickrock wrote: »
    I only eat ready made meals and I microwave them all from scratch.

I hope you take the plastic off first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I wouldn't know what a ready made meal is. Alot of them can have flavour enhancers like msg which i can't eat or i'll get sick.

So i make everything. Its so much easier as well. I know exactly what goes into it.

Some packets of shyte can have meals for two and being single, you can overeat.

I'm trying to lose weight so i make and track everything from scratch. I must admit I'm loving it. It is time consuming but when you put some thought and time into making things, its real satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The Raptor wrote: »
    Some packets of shyte can have meals for two and being single, you can overeat.

Depends on the packet. The uncle bens I get is made to serve two but I'd eat the whole lot as there's not really that much in it.

In KFC I get the family bucket for one.

Advertisement