Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 | Finale | Last Day On Earth [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

It's not even the POV, cut-to-black and just have the sound thing that bothers me.
    That could have worked, if they'd cut back from it to a shot that moved along the line of the group on their knees, at face height, showing their reactions and revealing who was killed by who was missing, all while Negan wrapped up his speech...then cut back to Negan for his "Ta Ta" as he walks away, and then to a close-up of the mashed skull, or the overhead shot from the comics.
    When I watched if first and it cut to black, I was still expecting it to come back.
    When the credits came up, that's when the pissed-offness started.

Such a missed opportunity, all that tension built up that they'll never get back.
    If they want the scene to have any impact when they come back, they need to start with Negan coming out of the RV and show the whole scene again to start season 7. The cliffhanger was such a terrible decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Volumes are €17 (grand), but compendiums are €70 in Easons!!

I've the first 2 Compendiums - if anyone wants to buy them 2nd hand then send me a PM

(sorry mod if this isn't allowed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I honestly feel at this pont they need to start wrapping up the show.
    It's just getting repetitive.
    Either they need to find a cure or mankind gets wiped out ...The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

There was something very familiar about that Negan character when I watched the episode.

Dawned on me this morning when watching Match of The Day.......

walking-dead-jeffrey-dean-morgan-negan-season-7.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Watford Manager Quique Sanchez Flores

qf555454.jpg?timestamp=1459578436915

Finally caught up, no real issue with the ending.

Don't see why people would expect a crazy amount of gore to have an impact, can't think of any other time when this has been done. Also don't see what benefit there would have been revealing who it was.

All that said, I don't take the show too seriously. It's just a bit of entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Basil3 wrote: »

Don't see why people would expect a crazy amount of gore to have an impact, can't think of any other time when this has been done. Also don't see what benefit there would have been revealing who it was.

All that said, I don't take the show too seriously. It's just a bit of entertainment.

Exactly.
    It has a bit of a cult following from the comics and people have blown it out of proportion.
    It's doing similar story arcs/end of season cliff hangers to GOTs albeit taking longer to get there.

Why? Because it's just bad story telling and deserves the criticism it's getting.

They've built up over the course of a season, hinting at Negan as a threat, then over the last three or four episodes it was all leading up to their confrontation with him.

They did a fantastic job of the finale, ratcheting up the tension over the course of an hour, built on the back of the previous episodes, it was clear things were coming to a head. By the time it got to Negan's entrance, the tension was incredible. By not revealing who died, they've missed out on the opportunity of hitting the audience with that loss while they're all wound up from the build up they've put together so well.

And for what purpose?
    I'm not averse to cliffhangers, but to me, wanting to see how the group deal with their complete loss of power and the trauma of seeing one of their friends beaten to death is enough to bring you back next season. So why do it at all?

As I said before, they could still have used the cut-to-black thing, not actually shown the skull smashing in progress...I don't think people would have felt conned by missing the gore at that point. But if they had then let Negan finish his speech and as he was leaving cut back to the group and reveal the victim and their pulped skull, it would have been a real gut-punch ending. Instead, we got the wind-up for the punch that never landed. Totally unsatisfying.

Forget about the fact that the comics exist, and look at it as it's own story.
    When you look what the ending they went with gives you versus what finishing the scene would have, there's no contest in what's the better decision from a story-telling perspective.
    They totally blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

fitz wrote: »
    Forget about the fact that the comics exist, and look at it as it's own story.
    When you look what the ending they went with gives you versus what finishing the scene would have, there's no contest in what's the better decision from a story-telling perspective.
    They totally blew it.

Couldn't agree more.

I have so many gripes with this season and the show in general, in summary:

1. Why on earth did Rick and co. decide to make a deal with the hilltop guys when it meant attacking another group. The have no idea how strong this group is. How big the group are. How well armed. Absolutely stupid. Suicidal. Rick knows better. The group knows better.

2. Lazy writing to kill off the Alexandria doctor - absolutely no need for her to go on a scavenging hunt. She is their most "experienced" medic yet Daryl and Rosita agree to her coming along. Come on. This is the person who can save a young boys life after being shot in the eye and have him up and running around like nothing happened in two weeks. Dumb and lazy writing and only contrived to give the group a reason to leave Alexandria because...

3. Maggie got sick. OK, she's pregnant and she needs help. Because the dumb doctor got a bolt in the head. The only reason they came up with this story was to come up with a reason for other characters to leave Alexandria looking for medical help for her, in doing so, eventually get captured by Negan's crew.

4. Carol's sudden turn of character??? Why??? She was rambo in the last season killing people without a second thought. Hell, she killed Tyreese's woman because she was sick. What brought this change on? The speech from the other woman when her and Magie got captured? Come off it. Again, the only reason they came up with this ludicrous story was to come up with a reason for other characters to leave Alexandria looking for her and, in doing so, eventually get captured by Negan's crew.

The show is suffering badly because of cheap and lazy writing. The long, drawn out scenes full of pointless dialogue. The endlessly stupid and idiotic series of decisions made by "seasoned" vet's of the apocolypse.

The finale was one of the most boring thing's I ever watched. Correction, one of the most boring things I've fast forwarded through.

That said, the last ten mins were decent mainly because of the caliber of actor (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) playing Negan. A fine performance.

But the cliffhanger was so, so cheap. Again, lazy and cowardly writing.

I've complained about the show in the past and I usually get a response like "its a zombie show, don't expect much". That's a cop out. Doesn't matter what the subject matter of the show is, the writers should be trying harder, being braver, push the boundaries, be creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Keyzer wrote: »
    4. Carol's sudden turn of character??? Why??? She was rambo in the last season killing people without a second thought. Hell, she killed Tyreese's woman because she was sick. What brought this change on? The speech from the other woman when her and Magie got captured? Come off it. Again, the only reason they came up with this ludicrous story was to come up with a reason for other characters to leave Alexandria looking for her and, in doing so, eventually get captured by Negan's crew.

Nope. Rick and Morgan went looking for Carol, they didn't get captured doing that.

The others got captured chasing after Daryl, that ultimate bad-ass tracker that has been moody and more annoying than Carl. Daryl probably should be killed, if just to stop the stupid "fan-power" thing the show has going on.

I haven't really liked this season much at all. Lazy storytelling, stupid decisions and annoying characters.
    Having said that, it's kinda tiresome reading opinions/reviews on here when people are fast-forwarding or barely watching (probably on their phone) the show so they don't know basic things that happen in an episode.

Aenaes wrote: »
    I haven't really liked this season much at all. Lazy storytelling, stupid decisions and annoying characters.
    Having said that, it's kinda tiresome reading opinions/reviews on here when people are fast-forwarding or barely watching (probably on their phone) the show so they don't know basic things that happen in an episode.

Agree with most of this, I think the show cops more flack than it deserves.
    Carol's sudden transition to struggling with her conscience aside (they definitely could have eased into that more), I really enjoyed this season. People make stupid decisions, so I'm fine with people on the show being occasionally stupid as long as it's not completely out of character.

There's been a couple of little niggles, but overall, I thought it was one of the stronger seasons and I loved the finale, right up until the credits appeared.
    Just can't get my head around how they thought it was a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I could complain over and over about the ending of the series because I just can't get my head around it, at all. It's a zombie show and it's been repetitive for 4 seasons now. The writers had the chance to do something that will cause an immediate impact but instead they pussied out. They really take their viewers for mugs when they expect them to just wait until next season, and expect them to be as upset over the incident after 6 or 7 months.

I listened to the audio clip when it was released and I knew they were going to cut to an off-screen killing but I 100% expected them to show something... some shot that would lead to speculation... Just some clue! They literally showed nothing and I think it's because they haven't actually decided yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they filmed the murder of 3 or 4 characters and told the actors they'd decide who it would be at a later date. What I do know is that the actor playing Daryl is starting in a new show, as is the actor playing Glenn. The actor playing Abraham had his profile on Wikipedia for TWD listed as 2014-2016 but it now says 2014-present.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I watch this with my nephew, and I can't help feeling the same as some posters, it does get very repetitive. It would be great if they gave the characters a mind.
    I mean, send them to what was once an inhabited island and give them a helicopter/power boat or something. :)
    Kill all the Walking dead there, and fend off future attacks, or give them a reason to leave, others constantly attacking etc..
    It can't be too hard to write a case scenario that people might actually really do should such a thing ever happen.
    The characters all just seem a bit to stupid to have not done a lot of things.

I realise it's a comic book and there are supposed to be stupid things that happen, and crazy scenarios etc.. (The obvious), but give them a little more credibility in how they would react, even sometimes.
    I'm not dying of suspense to find out who Negan killed, my Nephew was initially trying to figure it out and googling everywhere. He's already not that bothered anymore.

Hopefully Negan and his Saviors bring a welcome lift to the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭baza Rakus

People getting angry about how people are getting angry about how people are getting angry about how the season ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Its not the gore, its the reactions, its the finality of what has happened, the true impact of how bad this guy is. Thats what makes great viewing, not this gimmicky "whodunnit" type season finales. It was messed up and the producers/writers are well aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

They could have shot it showing the reactions of *most* of the group, but maybe leave 2-3 out to capture the 'Who got it?' cliffhanger.

The image of the bat smashing down repeatedly with blood spattering everywhere while Rick, Carl and maybe Michonne look on in helpless horror would have sufficed.

As someone has hinted, there is a good chance they will go back a bit of the way in the scene when it comes back in October or whenever - they won't just continue on from the skull bashing. Also they prob won't go straight into it - we'll see a lot of Carol and Morgan @ The Kingdom, and of Alexandria. It's not like the show to reveal stuff straight away when the can string it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

baza Rakus wrote: »
    As someone has hinted, there is a good chance they will go back a bit of the way in the scene when it comes back in October or whenever - they won't just continue on from the skull bashing. Also they prob won't go straight into it - we'll see a lot of Carol and Morgan @ The Kingdom, and of Alexandria. It's not like the show to reveal stuff straight away when the can string it out.

Better make sure I have my finger on the fast forward button then...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Or they'll continue on as they are 6/7 months on, until we eventually figure out which one hasn't been seen.

They could have shot it showing the reactions of *most* of the group, but maybe leave 2-3 out to capture the 'Who got it?' cliffhanger.

The image of the bat smashing down repeatedly with blood spattering everywhere while Rick, Carl and maybe Michonne look on in helpless horror would have sufficed.

I dunno, by not knowing who it was, a lot of people might fear it was one of their favourite characters.

Knowing who it is, a lot of people might think "ah, glad it was only them".

I don't think seeing the reaction of a few of them would have any real impact with me, but that's just me.

I dunno, by not knowing who it was, a lot of people might fear it was one of their favourite characters.

Knowing who it is, a lot of people might think "ah, glad it was only them".

I don't think seeing the reaction of a few of them would have any real impact with me, but that's just me.

its called emotional payoff. The immediate reactions of the characters, both the "Group" and even the Saviours and of course Neagan himself to the incident is what defines the scene. This is what viewers pay to see, especially because the whole season was built up to this moment, well the second part anyway..

Having that encaptured in all one motion, rather than seeing the reactions (if we even get to see them) 6 months down the line allows viewers both closure but also allows them that WOW moment and musters reaction/discussion on the show/the characters/the future rather than on the gimmick itself.
    The fact is it wasn't a "holy cr%p" moment nor will it be in October as the moment is lost now forever. We all know this happens and its just about filling in the gaps as to who was the victim.
    Speculation will be so rife as to who it is and theories given so it wont be a shock if its any of them who gets it now as each character will have theories behind them as to why they are/may be the "chosen one"

It will just be a "Oh I thought it was him/her" moment or a "they must have changed their minds after the backlash" moment or "I knew they wouldnt kill of such and such" moment.

Only way I'll be shocked is if its Rick or Carl and we all know that isnt happening.

Also, there is a very good chance the internet will spoil the victims identity over the next five months. With filming locations being tourist attractions now, actors' future schedules, absences from Comic Cons etc i'll be extremely surprised if you couldnt at least search out the identity with the click of a button, never mind it being posted up on twitter or Facebook.

I like a cliffhanger but only when it works. For sooooo many reasons this didnt work and hence the huge backlash and the producers now trying to justify, sheepishly, their ridiculous decision.

Not to mention the fact that it ruined what was one of the most iconic moments of the comic series with a silly pointless gimmick. I'm just baffled this was approved by Kirkmann even!! He is an Executive producer ffs.

If it is someone like Glenn/Darryl/Maggie/ Michonne or even Abraham they deserved that BIG SCENE moment, not to be part of a gimmicky "who was it " death. The emotional impact of SUDDENLY seeing one of your favourite characters getting killed in a split moment makes for excellent tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

It's between abraham and eugene imo. The hug scene as eugene set off in the RV felt like their final scene together.

Also, there is a very good chance the internet will spoil the victims identity over the next five months. With filming locations being tourist attractions now, actors' future schedules, absences from Comic Cons etc i'll be extremely surprised if you couldnt at least search out the identity with the click of a button, never mind it being posted up on twitter or Facebook.

Nah. They'll just shoot the scene five or six times, with a different character getting squished each time. That's cliffhangers 101!

baza Rakus wrote: »
    Nah. They'll just shoot the scene five or six times, with a different character getting squished each time. That's cliffhangers 101!

I'm not on about the scene itself, thats a given that that will be well behind closed doors. I'm on about the other couple of hundred scenes, ..........

shooting for first 8 episodes concludes a month and half before first episode airs! they will have hundreds of scenes and Im sure people will cop on who is missing by means of simplistic calculation ...........

I'm not on about the scene itself, thats a given that that will be well behind closed doors. I'm on about the other couple of hundred scenes, ..........

shooting for first 8 episodes concludes a month and half before first episode airs! they will have hundreds of scenes and Im sure people will cop on who is missing by means of simplistic calculation ...........

True, like the pic of Glenn with Jesus was leaked while he was "dead". But you're talking about loads of characters, and you can have flash backs, flash forwards, so you never know ... to be honest I don't actually care anymore who it is, the cliffhanger element has killed it for me. I don't really mind if it's leaked or not. They've mugged us all off and it stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

There was a post here the other day a few pages back that mentioned how they liked the scene with Gabriel in the finale.

I've been thinking about his character. I hope he becomes a real bad ass and starts quoting things from the Bible when he gets into conflict or killing zombies.

Olishi4 wrote: »
    There was a post here the other day a few pages back that mentioned how they liked the scene with Gabriel in the finale.

I've been thinking about his character. I hope he becomes a real bad ass and starts quoting things from the Bible when he gets into conflict or killing zombies.

There's defo a big REDEMPTION OF GABRIEL going on in this season ...

Olishi4 wrote: »

Yeah, I liked that image but it was all a bit pointless. A small sideplot with Alexandria in the finale wouldnt of been any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Yeah, I liked that image but it was all a bit pointless. A small sideplot with Alexandria in the finale wouldnt of been any harm.

oh would ya stop giving out.
    :p They wouldn't have had the time to dedicate a decent sideplot in the finale and it would have been a waste had they tried.

I don't think that scene was pointless. I liked it too. I think it was just showing how Gabriel had earned Ricks trust after previously betraying them. I hope we see more from Gabriel though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

The first episode of the new season could well be the same day from the point of view of Darryl, Glenn, Michonne and Rosita after they got captured, their time in the van, ending back at the same point with the Negan bashing, revealing who gets it. Perhaps with a few scenes of Eugene from when he drove off to when he was captured. This would fill in the gaps from the finale but would mean we'd then have to wait until the 2nd episode to get our aftermath.

Why didn't Jesus help any of the groups, considering his knowledge of the Saviours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I haven't read the comics.

I do know however that in them it's
    Glenn
    that gets the bat - do the writers regularly stray from the storyline of the comics?

Just wondered as I thought it strange that no one seems to think that it was
    Glenn

Advertisement