Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

• 06-04-2016 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

There may be some interest in setting this up to help with any GLAS related items.

My questions (although not exclusively glas related) are as follows:

I have LIPP and l am trying to work out in real terms what chemical N l am allowed to put out.

So far l've converted the 40kg/ha limit to kg/acre which works put @ 16.19kg/acre.

Now take say a 50kg bag of CAN. That's 27%N so am l right in saying this works out @ 13.5kg? So really a bag of CAN is all that is allowed/annum?

Or if spreading typical compound like 18-6-12 that 1.5bags/acre can be comfortably spread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭zetor 4911

Muckit wrote: »
    There may be some interest in setting this up to help with any GLAS related items.

My questions (although not exclusively glas related) are as follows:

I have LIPP and l am trying to work out in real terms what chemical N l am allowed to put out.

So far l've converted the 40kg/ha limit to kg/acre which works put @ 16.19kg/acre.

Now take say a 50kg bag of CAN. That's 27%N so am l right in saying this works out @ 13.5kg? So really a bag of CAN is all that is allowed/annum?

Or if spreading typical compound like 18-6-12 that 1.5bags/acre can be comfortably spread?

40 Kgs/Ha of N is 32 units per acre so slightly over 1 bag of can per acre is allowed.
    As regards 18-6-12, phosphorous application depends on the results of the soil sample, if no soil sample at present then assume index 3. (levels of application of P depends on stocking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

2 and a half bags 10-10-20 and one bag of can to the acre

I said wrote: »
    2 and a half bags 10-10-20 and one bag of can to the acre
    Thats 52 units of N/acre or 65 Kg/Ha which is far in excess of the 40Kg/Ha of N allowed.

Bit of an over estimate on my behalf one or other

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Anyone taken their soil samples yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

How can they tell how much chemical fertilizer you have spread. Nitrogen is gone out of the soil after 8 weeks, plus who can say where you spread the fertilizer, maybe you spread it all on the non-glas parcels :rolleyes:

The Cuban wrote: »
    How can they tell how much chemical fertilizer you have spread. Nitrogen is gone out of the soil after 8 weeks, plus who can say where you spread the fertilizer, maybe you spread it all on the non-glas parcels :rolleyes:

They have it all covered don't you worry. If it was that handy every dairy farmer in the country would have a piece of **** ground for GLAS and the dept inspectors to look at and draw their handy €5k off and go balloon the hell out of the rest of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yes ours were done just over 3 weeks ago. Haven't heard anything back from our advisor yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

not sure but if soil samples are done before sept they will be out of date before end of glas

Base price wrote: »
    Yes ours were done just over 3 weeks ago. Haven't heard anything back from our advisor yet.

Did tou take them yourself? Do them through teagasc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Did tou take them yourself? Do them through teagasc?
    Our advisor (independent) took them and sent them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Have soil sample results from 2014, showing index 1 for P, even tho different fields would that be enough to allow me put 2b/Ac 18.6.12 on ground that got no slurry & 1/2B/Ac urea that got slurry, well when the weather improves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

They have it all covered don't you worry. If it was that handy every dairy farmer in the country would have a piece of **** ground for GLAS and the dept inspectors to look at and draw their handy €5k off and go balloon the hell out of the rest of it!!

Yes thats exactly what has happened, I know of farmers who have ground for Glas and then the rest of the farm is farmed whatever way they like.
    Back to my original question, how can they tell what amount of fertilizer is spread. Unless you willingly give them the dockets for the fertilizer they will not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

I know I should probably know this but can I view my glas plan online and if I am accepted to tier 2 when do I have to have my measures in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

The Cuban wrote: »
    Yes thats exactly what has happened, I know of farmers who have ground for Glas and then the rest of the farm is farmed whatever way they like.
    Back to my original question, how can they tell what amount of fertilizer is spread. Unless you willingly give them the dockets for the fertilizer they will not know.

But is that not one of the attractions of Glas over Reps?Although the money is smaller you only have to farm the lpis parcels designated for Glas in the specified manner.In Reps all your farm was designated as a Reps area and had to be farmed as such.

With the LIPP it's only on that 10 hectares that N input is restricted therefore you can spread up to your nitrates limit on the remainder of the land you farm.Same applies to overall spraying on this parcel etc.Otherwise would anyone enter it.
    Regarding the N spread on LLIP, well its up to the farmer involved to be honest and fill out the record sheet in an accurate manner !!!!
    No way anyone can tell exactly how much N was spread unless they walk into the field and watch you spread it.
    Have soil samples done here and mostly index 3/4 but a couple of fields index 1 for K.

Bird/bat /bee boxes up.See a good few for sale in local merchants and none of the bird boxes have lids.Put hingable lids on mine as thought they were supposed to be cleaned out each year?
    Sand for bees must have been a big take as local quarry knew exactly what I wanted the sand for and how much i needed (on the docket)Said a good few were in for sand in the last 2 weeks.
    Got no payment yet but planner emailed Dept. as should have got 3(?) months for LLIP for last year.He was told it should come in May but that payments were hit and miss as some were paid early and more waiting still.

Great idea for a thread(says he who is in Glas)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I know I should probably know this but can I view my glas plan online and if I am accepted to tier 2 when do I have to have my measures in place?

Dont know re second scheme but in first tranche the boxes were to be up by March 31st 2016 as was the tree sowing and bee sand.Hedge is March 31st 2017 for me and think wild bird cover is May 2016.LLIP is from start of plan I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭50HX

log into agfood and when you are viewing your land parcels you should see the LIPPS that are split if they needed to be for measures

with regards to a list anywhere on agfood asto what measures you need to do....i can't see that anywhere on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭50HX

just out of interest what are ye been charged for plan and nutrient mngmnt plan?

i got it for €400 and €450(nmp)...... and advisor we were with for years was looking for 650 for the plan last year and wouldn't commit to a price for the nmp....lunatic prices even though there is a good bit of work involved in it

I paid €400 for my plan. Tbh l find it hard to see where the work is. I had gone through all the measures and picked the ones that would suit me. I picked the positions for the habitats (birds bats bees etc) and marked on maps. We all got the criteria and specification booklets. It wasn't that difficult.

I'm fairly handy, as many farmers now are, on the computer. I'm sure l could have submitted maps &measures to glas. Did my €400 go on a few mouse clicks?? Perhaps l'm being naive re level of work involved in submitting plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I paid €400 for my plan. Tbh l find it hard to see where the work is. I had gone through all the measures and picked the ones that would suit me. I picked the positions for the habitats (birds bats bees etc) and marked on maps. We all got the criteria and specification booklets. It wasn't that difficult.

I'm fairly handy, as many farmers now are, on the computer. I'm sure l could have submitted maps &measures to glas. Did my €400 go on a few mouse clicks?? Perhaps l'm being naive re level of work involved in submitting plans?

Was it GLAS that needed the application to be submitted by an approved planner ? So you couldn't get away with doing it yourself.

• Advertisement

Bullocks wrote: »
    Was it GLAS that needed the application to be submitted by an approved planner ? So you couldn't get away with doing it yourself.

Correct

I said wrote: »
    Correct

Farmers could submit their own AEOS applications but as a result the Department had serious problems with the applications as a high % of them were ineligible or the Department had to go back to the applicants to get clarification and correct errors which took a lot of man hours so that is the reason that they would not let us do our own GLAS applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    Farmers could submit their own AEOS applications but as a result the Department had serious problems with the applications as a high % of them were ineligible or the Department had to go back to the applicants to get clarification and correct errors which took a lot of man hours so that is the reason that they would not let us do our own GLAS applications.

That may have been an issue for AEOS but since GLAS is only submitted online you couldn't really make a mistake. If it was wrong it wouldn't allow you to submit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Same as that. Literally planner spent 15 mins on mine, submitted it and I handed over €400. I had all the measures picked and identified and he just did the mouse clicks. A bit annoying really.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Nobbies

€500 here too my coddy by the time he stuck the vodka and tonic on it.there getting hungry again these lads with the letters after there name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Got approval for Glas 2 and got maps where work needs to be done during the week

Any word on when each of the measures need to be completed by?

Ie when bat boxes need to be installed by, when each measure needs to be completed by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Tomjim wrote: »
    Got approval for Glas 2 and got maps where work needs to be done during the week

Any word on when each of the measures need to be completed by?

Ie when bat boxes need to be installed by, when each measure needs to be completed by

Bat Roost Boxes must be in place by 31st July 2016- Max 15 of those and a minimum of 3 boxes together, all facing different directions.
    Bird boxes are the same date and can't be put on the same trees as the bat boxes. Again max 15 of them.
    The below link will tell you all. It's a heck of a lot of scrolling though so if you're on the phone just ask what you need to know & I can copy & paste.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glastranche2/GLAS2Spec130116.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

See attached GLAS 2 specifications, requirements, dates to have work completed by etc, from Dept of Agri, all 109 pages :rolleyes: I just printed off the pages that are relevant to me.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glastranche2/GLAS2Spec130116.pdf

Edit - Looks like Kovu got there first

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Nobbies

Lot of lads here not sure on dates for when measures need completing by.this why there should be abook like there was for reps with spec and conditions and not having too be always enquiring off the www. thankfully for me the good wife printed off everything relative too the scheme and bound it together.maybe there is book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Anyone else caught with the traditional hay meadows? Not allowed graze after the 15th if April and sure this year we havnt even been able to let the cattle on it😒.hoping the dept pushes back the date!

Advertisement