Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GLAS thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Our planner reminded us to only plough/seed the exact area for wild bird cover if that area is part of a land parcel. Apparently if you sow over the specified area then it will have a negative impact on your SFP/BPS iykwim.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭greenpetrol

L1985 wrote: »
    Anyone else caught with the traditional hay meadows? Not allowed graze after the 15th if April and sure this year we havnt even been able to let the cattle on it😒.hoping the dept pushes back the date!

Not allowed graze on the hay meadows? Taught it was not allowed top or spray these fields until after a date in June?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Not allowed graze on the hay meadows? Taught it was not allowed top or spray these fields until after a date in June?

L1985 is correct, see point 6.

7IBW1yjl.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭limo_100

Anyone else caught with the traditional hay meadows? Not allowed graze after the 15th if April and sure this year we havnt even been able to let the cattle on it😒.hoping the dept pushes back the date!

I'm in the same boat were using meadows that were pasture for the last 20years I have light weanlings out on it for the last 6days could probably do with another two weeks and I could do with topping them aswell so I can get them licked I'm thinking of chancing on but I would need a few days drying before I could even consider it

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Same here had weanlings in shed up to this am and let them out so old grass would be grazed off. But bloddy awful weather to be letting animals out of a shed. They will need week to clear it. The calendar date is a pain but what can you do. Ill chance them out there until mon 18th. Do they inspect at weekends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭coyle21

was accepted on Glas 2 3 months ago but have done nothing yet, was told not allowed to cut trees/Coppicing as out of that time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Soil samples back for lipp 2 bags 10-10-20 to the acre and lime in due course

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Contractor Sprayed off ground for wild bird cover about 3 weeks ago. Some heavy rush in spots . just wondering should i cut the rush before ploughing or am i being too fussy? On heavy enough ground poor draining soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Stan27

Nobbies wrote: »
    Lot of lads here not sure on dates for when measures need completing by.this why there should be abook like there was for reps with spec and conditions and not having too be always enquiring off the www. thankfully for me the good wife printed off everything relative too the scheme and bound it together.maybe there is book?

There is a book, and all on the Internet. Dafm site.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 6nationschamps

Where would be the best place to buy seeds in the west of ireland for wild bird cover?
    i have to sow 1.20 hectares and i am thinking roughly about 100 KG of Oats and about 20KG of linseed or 15 KG of Mustard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭bullnuts

50HX wrote: »
    just out of interest what are ye been charged for plan and nutrient mngmnt plan?

i got it for €400 and €450(nmp)...... and advisor we were with for years was looking for 650 for the plan last year and wouldn't commit to a price for the nmp....lunatic prices even though there is a good bit of work involved in it
    Paid 425 to adviser to submit plans
    today i learn its 465 for nmp and this is compulsory! Is this correct? Bloody sickened! Young lad with new white shoes watching his step around the yard taking measurements and asking questions and just before jumping back in his car notifies me about this latest expense!
    also is it necessary to be a member of teagasc to be in Glas ? A bit sick of all the out goings and wondering what value I'm getting from them !

bullnuts wrote: »
    Paid 425 to adviser to submit plans
    today i learn its 465 for nmp and this is compulsory! Is this correct? Bloody sickened! Young lad with new white shoes watching his step around the yard taking measurements and asking questions and just before jumping back in his car notifies me about this latest expense!
    also is it necessary to be a member of teagasc to be in Glas ? A bit sick of all the out goings and wondering what value I'm getting from them !
    You do not have to be a member of Teagasc to be in GLAS.
    As part of your GLAS plan you do have to have a NMP. Our planner has included the cost of our NMP within the initial cost of our GLAS submission. We do have to pay extra for the laboratory analysis of the farm soil samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭bullnuts

Base price wrote: »
    You do not have to be a member of Teagasc to be in GLAS.
    As part of your GLAS plan you do have to have a NMP. Our planner has included the cost of our NMP within the initial cost of our GLAS submission. We do have to pay extra for the laboratory analysis of the farm soil samples.

Mind me asking what you're charge was total? Over 900 euros for nmp and submitting a few maps is robbery! It's again where these agencies are living off our backs

Planner cost €300 and soil samples were €137.
    Planner is the same guy who does our SFP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Planner cost €300 and soil samples were €137.
    Planner is the same guy who does our SFP.
    Soil samples look expensive. What you get done, P,K,Lime?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

P,K, & Lime soil tests are €25 each with local Ag Consultant.
    Company we use is in Cavan but would also be in Longford & Leitrim catchment area, I'd think BP uses the same consultant

Farrell wrote: »
    P,K, & Lime soil tests are €25 each with local Ag Consultant.
    Company we use is in Cavan but would also be in Longford & Leitrim catchment area, I'd think BP uses the same consultant
    I got P, K and lime done for 15 euro total

Is that by yourself or with a consultant?

Is that by yourself or with a consultant?
    Myself. Gave results to ag consultant. In NPWS farm plan, don't have to pay consultant, they do up plan as part of scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Same here

• Advertisement

Myself. Gave results to ag consultant. In NPWS farm plan, don't have to pay consultant, they do up plan as part of scheme.

Bought a soil sampler, going to take a few myself for ground not in GLAS, and send to Waterford.
    Do you send in cores or do you mince before sending?

Bought a soil sampler, going to take a few myself for ground not in GLAS, and send to Waterford.
    Do you send in cores or do you mince before sending?
    mixed.

Yep. 11 samples at €12.50 each. I think it the company is called FBA in either wexford or waterford. Planner did not charge an additional fee to take the samples.

Yep. 11 samples at €12.50 each. I think it the company is called FBA in either wexford or waterford. Planner did not charge an additional fee to take the samples.
    that's about fair, considering you sent 11 samples away

Anyone have advice as to which mix is best for wild bird cover. We have never done this before. We decided not to go with kale. I want to put in oats as I think it will take well but I don't know what else to put with it.

Anyone have advice as to which mix is best for wild bird cover. We have never done this before. We decided not to go with kale. I want to put in oats as I think it will take well but I don't know what else to put with it.
    I planted a mix of kale/triticale/kale. Two year crop. My place is exposed so triticale will act as nursery crop.

I planted a mix of kale/triticale/kale. Two year crop. My place is exposed so triticale will act as nursery crop.
    We don't want to use kale as it would mean a lot of additional fencing when we let the cattle in to clean off the wbc. Our wbc is in two separate areas of the farm, one beside a lake and the other adjoining a natural scrub/marshy/rushy half acre of no mans land that is fenced off so that the cattle cannot get into it.

Our area is close to boggy/marsh similar to your second piece of wbc Base Price. So we've gone with oats & linseed.
    We know the oats will take as we reseeded a marshier/heavier sort of field with it just below our selected area. Linseed seems to grow well in heavy soils too and as it's in a median sort of area between hill & bog/marsh ground, I'm not worried about it getting too waterlogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You then when the inspector is not looking make porridge of the oats and put linseeds on top!! Feck the birds!!!! :D

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    You then when the inspector is not looking make porridge of the oats and put linseeds on top!! Feck the birds!!!! :D

But maybe I am a wild bird.....bird.gif

Advertisement