Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A bit too casual! :D They'll be complaints to RTE

Remember the massive fuss when the "dolly birds" were parachuted in about 10-12 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

The new weather presenter on rte is a breath of fresh air. Someone who doesn't try on the posh accent. She's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I liked her. A bit nervous, but that's to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

BBC suggest a prolonged spell of dry weather because the pressure is high at ground level and the upper atmosphere. Looks like for the third March in a row, mid-month is looking dry. I could be wrong in thinking this was going to be a very wet month but it looks like Mother Nature has paid her debt to the society and is going to give us a dry spell which we have longed for since November!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭alentejo

Always weary of a prolonged dry March. Nature usually pays us back with a wet summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

alentejo wrote: »
    Always weary of a prolonged dry March. Nature usually pays us back with a wet summer.
    You needn't worry. There will not be a prolonged dry spell this March.

Dry this morning after heavy overnight rain. Low of 2.4c overnight and now 5.3c. Sunny and bright. A real spring morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You needn't worry. There will not be a prolonged dry spell this March.

It depends what you define as prolonged, if the high meanders around the uk you could get up to two weeks of fine weather. A blocked pattern can be hard to shift.
    It is interesting that M.T Cranium doesn't seem to put much emphasis on the high moving further north any time soon, allowing a trough to drop into Europe, courtesy of the sudden stratospheric warming. That could open the door to quite cold weather from the north east, but it would likely be just cold rain given the strength of the sun now

I suppose if the models were to firm up on that idea it would start appearing in his forecast.

alentejo wrote: »

Let's see about that. These Marches all consist below of a dry spell of at least 8 days long and not all them are drier than normal Marches overall.

2015 - Yes
    2014 - Meh... (August was only wet but that made Summer wet overall here)
    2012 - Yes!!!!
    2011 - Meh... (depends on the location. 2011 wasn't a wet but cold Summer here)
    2010 - No (depends on the location again because July was wet and some of the high totals made the Summer wet overall)
    2009 - Yes!!!
    2003 - No

And unsurprisingly, the results are mixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm hoping for a nice dry and cold March because I'm doing my honeymoon in a campervan around the country during that time! At least give me some nice clear skies while I'm in the Kerry Dark Sky Reserve :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im hoping for a nice dry rest of 2016:)

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    im hoping for a nice dry rest of 2016:)

I want a year like 2010 all over again (without the July of course)

Has there ever been a time where the first week of May was colder than the first week of January?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Has there ever been a time where the first week of May was colder than the first week of January?

May 2012 might be a considered one

Update: The BBC now say that they are very confident in this high pressure situation lasting for the whole of next week at least and maybe the start of the week after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Update: The BBC now say that they are very confident in this high pressure situation lasting for the whole of next week at least and maybe the start of the week after.

Please god they're on the button - we could all do with some sunny days

The dry period from March 13th - 28th 2011 was great and it would be awesome if it could be repeated now (I'm also saying that because that March had the same calendar as this one... - just thought that would be a fun fact).

Grass cutting ahoy! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

The Thurs 00Z GFS UK Precip Chart on Netweather is showing relativly dry till Thursday next week(with the exception of Saturday) with a nice bit of rain thursday week onwards. which is a little dissapointing if it comes off as I'm off from paddy's day till the Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Please god they're on the button - we could all do with some sunny days

High pressure doesn't necessarily mean sunny days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Iancar29 wrote: »

Dry would be a good start.

• Advertisement

There is always someone on these threads to try and put on damper on good news! Same people who try to magic snow out of nothing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Iancar29 wrote: »

Cheers for that ya damp squid lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Cheers for that ya damp squid lol

Just stating a fact before people start coming in here wondering where the week long wall to wall sunshine is... :pac: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Not a bad day here at all, feeling quite warm in the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Max temperatures of 10c according to the woman on the radio, just as I glance as my weather station which reads "13.4c".

I'd be in a t-shirt if the sun was present. West Clare

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/84231-stratosphere-temperature-watch-20152016/?page=44

There could still be a late wintry blast from the arctic, according to the man in this video. It's more likely there won't be, but those of you who have turned your back on snow you have been warned!

image.png.d00eca871d9753e49c5e48a5b3fff6c1.png

sumtings wrote: »
    The Thurs 00Z GFS UK Precip Chart on Netweather is showing relativly dry till Thursday next week(with the exception of Saturday) with a nice bit of rain thursday week onwards. which is a little dissapointing if it comes off as I'm off from paddy's day till the Monday.

Stop :mad::(. Don't ruin this dry spell which we have longed for since November!

Sorry Nacho Libre, I do like snow but very unlikely scenario there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭kingshankly

There is always someone on these threads to try and put on damper on good news! Same people who try to magic snow out of nothing :pac:

Your right people can f(uk off with their snow at this stage
    Time for the temps to go up

• Advertisement

Sorry Nacho Libre, I do like snow but very unlikely scenario there!

Yeah it is unlikely, but not impossible to get night time snow if we get a potent northerly. By the way, i have a feeling this April is going to start off very cold. We could get some good hail showers out of it.

Advertisement