Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avis Rental car with Triangle Tyres

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

If they are so unsafe, why is it even possible to buy them?

Because testing standards are slack and there is a market for cheap round black things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

This post has been deleted.

Why was it possible to purchase horse meat labelled as beef? Because of a lack of check ups, just like the E marking on cheap tyres.

I had Accelera Alpha tyres on my diesel Avensis when I bought it. It was fine in the dry, but dangerous in the wet. I was losing the front and/or the rear driving in normal traffic in the wet. I put a set of Kumhos on, which are good but not a premium brand, and haven't had a single slide in well over a year since I put them on.

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

I wouldn't be happy with Chinese ditch finders on any car I'm driving, but as they are legal, I doubt the car rental company is doing anything wrong, and I would doubt that any renter would have any legitimate reason for a refund or replacement.

pa990 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be happy with Chinese ditch finders on any car I'm driving, but as they are legal, I doubt the car rental company is doing anything wrong, and I would doubt that any renter would have any legitimate reason for a refund or replacement.

When you rent a car it's often on your insurance policy. Rental company isn't at a loss if you run into back of someone but you will be. That's more than enough reason to reject the car.

visual wrote: »
    When you rent a car it's often on your insurance policy. Rental company isn't at a loss if you run into back of someone but you will be. That's more than enough reason to reject the car.

How.....

If the car is road legal, and "technically" road worthy.

• Advertisement

pa990 wrote: »
    How.....

If the car is road legal, and "technically" road worthy.

horse and cart with wooden spoke wheels is technical road legal too but that is not the point.

Rental company to maximise profit and cut costs fits car with budget tyres has traded cost for safety. Transferring risk to the renter who most likely will be unaware.

But if you spotted cheap budget tyres and know your wet stopping distance is 3 time longer than proper tyres and then you might not be happy accepting this additional risk and why should you it is considerable risk your placing on yourself, your family and your insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Every week a whole load of people try to claim a dacia is the same as a rolls royce, pink slime frozen patties are the same as freshly prepared steak mince burgers, grants whiskey is the same as midleton.

And every week they're wrong.

But its road legal, and road worthy.

What are the grounds for rejecting it....

Other than a personal preference for a better grade of tyre... which still meets the basic legal requirements.

I don't think the op has a leg to stand on
    (I personally wouldn't be happy with the tyre choice)

And a road legal/worthy rolls royce and a road legal/worthy duster, are still both legal/worthy.
    And a pink slime patty is also legal.

I've a copper wire delivering my broadband... should I reject it because it's not fth !!!???... I'd like to, but it's still broadband.
    Not great broadband.. but legally still classed as broadband.

Also...

I'd never ever buy ditch finders.

I know my cars and I know their limits, and ditch finders seriously reduce those limits to less than what I would expect from normal day to day driving.... But... ther are still still legal/worthy,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

No one has yet presented any real evidence that they are dangerous.

Personal experience is that they are less effective in damp or wet conditions, but are that still didn't dismiss the fact that they are today legal /roadworthy. .
    I still wouldn't trust then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

It's a discussion forum. Posters, including me, have given personal experiences, mostly negative of the cheapest brands of tyre. I will admit I drive on a bit, but I have had zero drama with the mid range brand on my car currently. In saying that, I normally have a premium brand on my cars.

Legal doesn't have to mean good or acceptable. Shur bertie, redacted, lowry etc are all still walking around free aren't they?

If the customer pays for something, and is unhappy with what he got for his money, nobody can shoot him for complaining. They can try to address the issue, or tell him eff off if they think he is being unreasonable.

Personally I'd probably take the irish option. Grumble about how sh1t it was to anyone except the business and never use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Just goes to prove how reliable triangle tyres actually are. If they were causing crashes as do many seem to believe in here ( with zero evidence) then I doubt a major fleet car company would use them.

Would be interested to know how many crashes that particular car has been involved in

I'm guessing none

More and more people are sounding like car geeks, snobs regarding this tyre debate. It's ridiculous, it's ok to be wrong sometimes and gullible to spend 3x the price of a tyre because good marketing has convinced you to.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just goes to prove how reliable triangle tyres actually are. If they were causing crashes as do many seem to believe in here ( with zero evidence) then I doubt a major fleet car company would use them.

Would be interested to know how many crashes that particular car has been involved in

I'm guessing none

More and more people are sounding like car geeks, snobs regarding this tyre debate. It's ridiculous, it's ok to be wrong sometimes and gullible to spend 3x the price of a tyre because good marketing has convinced you to.

I've scrolled a fair bit, did someone from one of these companies say they use them? I saw one guy say they didn't. Was there a counter?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've got a pair of stained underpants from the time some almost brand new ironically named Triangle "Talons" tried to kill me in our MX-5 if you'd like to examine them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

gk5000 wrote: »
    Obviously some people don't care the type of tyre and that is fine.
    But I care, and I'm scared of driving round on these ones in the wet - and have experienced the bad effects of driving on these.

But my point is that Rental Cars should fit OEM spec tyres - something that Opel, Ford, Toyota etc would consider suitable for their cars.

This. If only for equity in the people who rent the cars who are charged the same. If your car is newish and has the original types you pay the same fee if it has a higher mileage, the increased mileage has some other disadvantages but that should not include replacement with a useless tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

There was a tyre test on a technical magazine I was reading. The best tire was:

Nokian Hakka Green 2:
    Great in wet
    Low rolling resistance

Nothing to complain.

Goodyear Efficient Grip:
    Low rolling resistance
    Good grip in wet

Bad: Nothing

Pirelli Cinturato P7 Blue:
    Good grip in all the conditions
    Handling

Bad: Average resistance to aquaplaning

----

Continental Conti PremiumContact 5

Good handing on all condition
    Strong all-round performance without any significant drawbacks.

Bad: Nothing

----

The tyres above were rated 9 or over out of 10. Following group got between 8.8 - 7.5 in scale 10 best 4 worst. Surprised about Landsail (positively) and Kumho (negatively).
    Apollo Alnac 4G
    Dunlop Sport BluResponse
    Michelin Primacy 3
    Vredestein Sportrac 5
    Landsail LS388 (Chinese brands can also be average)
    Barum Bravuris 3 HM
    Kumho Ecowing ES01

The two worst performers were:

Nankang Green/Sport
    Good: nothing
    Bad: Grip and handling, high rolling resistance

The worst tire was Wanli Harmonic H220:
    Nothing good:

Bad points:
    Bad grip both wet and dry
    Unpredictable handling

I have stated earlier that they are dangerous but will repeat with more detail

Bough a BMW 525i with Triangle tyres fitted all round thread was very good
    Drove the car in the dry it drove fine, grip seem good. Then it rained
    Traction control light came on every time I went to take off. ABS light every time I braked in the wet. Turning sharply in the wet at a moderate speed while braking car just couldn't hold the road and I nearly hit a pole.

So I backed off my speed and left bigger gap. was driving back from the airport on M50 car in front was quite a bit away from me but for some reason the traffic up ahead had come to a brief halt. I applied the brakes and ABS came on but car wasn't slowing it was sliding up to the cars in front. Luckily the cars in front started to move forward a little and I came to a stop just in time but if the car hadn't move forward a couple of car lengths I would have rear ended one of them. That was enough to convince me either I stump up for new tyres or be dealing with expensive crash repair and lost of NCB

Next day I went out and replace all 4 tyres. Car in front stops I can stop if they emergency brake so can I without the fear of sliding into the back of them in the wet.

I didn't want the expense of replacing 4 tyres within a couple of weeks of buying the car especially as there was lots of thread on the tyres. But the difference is night and day. Traction light doesn't come on every time I take off and ABS doesn't come on every time I brake normally.

That was over a year ago on Saturday I was driving by a car waiting to pull out from a side road. At the last moment he pulled out and only spotted me after he had blocked the road. I emergency braked from 60KPH while turning the car to opposite side of the road in about 2 car lengths missing this guy by inches.
    My passenger got such a fright and thought she pulled muscle in her back from the sudden stop. impressive braking even if I say so myself but there is one thing for sure there is no way the Triangle tyres could have stopped me as quickly and allowed me swerve to avoid the collision.

If my experience and others on here that have posted their experience of these tyres isn't good enough, then google search independent tyre tests

• Advertisement

I'm guessing none

you just can't help yourself its like a flame to a moth when rubbish tyres are mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

This thread almost makes me want to fit a set of Triangles to see how bad they are. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Unfortunately there are people out there who despite test results and personal experience won't accept facts.

Budget tyres are rubbish, but as I said some just can't be educated.

I've had cars with cheap tyres, nankangs, maragoni, stunner, all complete rubbish in wet or damp conditions.
    Both my cars have good tyres, continental sport contact 5 on one car and michelin pilot sports on the other. I know if something happens where I need to take evasive action I can't blame the tyres if it all goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Neilw wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are people out there who despite test results and personal experience won't accept facts.

Budget tyres are rubbish, but as I said some just can't be educated.

I've had cars with cheap tyres, nankangs, maragoni, stunner, all complete rubbish in wet or damp conditions.
    Both my cars have good tyres, continental sport contact 5 on one car and michelin pilot sports on the other. I know if something happens where I need to take evasive action I can't blame the tyres if it all goes wrong.

who's personal experience? why would I take yours over mine?

evasive action? :pac: some of you really think you are racing car drivers:pac:

I see you've moved away from claiming some massive conspiracy in all the independent tyre test results.

Why is that I wonder.

Why, because I, along with others who have posted similar experiences are right.

Maybe some day you will see the light or at least open your mind to other opinions rather than your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

All I'll say for the sake of €20 or so a corner extra, I'd rather have a tyre that gave me a reasonable chance of stopping in the wet if I had to do an emergency stop, as opposed to not being able to stop and hit a car (or worse). It's cheaper than loosing my no claims bonus.

As an aside, what would some posters here think if I said I was thinking of getting rid of the Dunlop SportMaxx that are under my car as they don't have enough grip in the damp for me!:

ianobrien wrote: »
    All I'll say for the sake of €20 or so a corner extra, I'd rather have a tyre that gave me a reasonable chance of stopping in the wet if I had to do an emergency stop, as opposed to not being able to stop and hit a car (or worse). It's cheaper than loosing my no claims bonus.

As an aside, what would some posters here think if I said I was thinking of getting rid of the Dunlop SportMaxx that are under my car as they don't have enough grip in the damp for me!:

Wuyong aaiiii! All the way lad. They have been making wheelbarrow tyres and tyres for food carts now for 18 months but have really leapfrogged their game. The lads in the tyre place have them on all their sister in laws cars and the taxi men would rather spend 35 euro on them than a set of ARB bushings or droplinks. Which makes them pretty awesome in my book. So awesome no competent third party has ever reviewed them, they are only available to people who know people and wink a certain way.
    Lifetime warranty!

ianobrien wrote: »

I had dunlop sportmaxx on a car and didn't think they were great in the wet.
    Changed to Michelins and it transformed the wet weather handling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

This is shocking altogether... hard to know what to say really. I certainly hope that the rental company in question is fitting the correct brand, make, grade of brake pads, discs, shoes, drums, oil and not some 'yellow pack' rubbish sourced from a dodgy online shop, and that the mechanics involved in fitting all these parts is fully qualified, and not some 'intern' who makes the tae, and cleans the toilets when he (or she) is not butchering a repair with a lump hammer (sourced from cheap supermarket, no doubt).
    Why didn't you simply hand back the car when you hired it ? and demand (aggressively and in a high pitched tone) that you wanted only the best of tyres fitted to your (rental) car !
    Do you check the brand on taxies, busses and anyone who give you a lift to see if they conform.
    One thing I'll say about the Chinese... they build reasonably long lasting walls, so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on tyres.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement