Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avis Rental car with Triangle Tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Neilw wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are people out there who despite test results and personal experience won't accept facts.

Budget tyres are rubbish, but as I said some just can't be educated.

I've had cars with cheap tyres, nankangs, maragoni, stunner, all complete rubbish in wet or damp conditions.
    Both my cars have good tyres, continental sport contact 5 on one car and michelin pilot sports on the other. I know if something happens where I need to take evasive action I can't blame the tyres if it all goes wrong.

You've had nankangs,maragoni, stunner? If you feel so strongly about cheap tyres why would you purchase them 3x?

If you say they came with the car, why didn't you ask the dealer to replace them?

Could be argued that most people have no issues putting these type of tyres on their cars.

Lastly, if you decide to say it was a friends, member of family car, did they crash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

You've had nankangs,maragoni, stunner? If you feel so strongly about cheap tyres why would you purchase them 3x?

If you say they came with the car, why didn't you ask the dealer to replace them?

Could be argued that most people have no issues putting these type of tyres on their cars.

Lastly, if you decide to say it was a friends, member of family car, did they crash?

100% agree with you here.

I'd go a step further and say that the % performance difference between two identical branded tyres is probably about the same as the difference between a branded tyre like Goodyear and a triangle.

100% agree with you here.

I'd go a step further and say that the % performance difference between two identical branded tyres is probably about the same as the difference between a branded tyre like Goodyear and a triangle.

And just another thing with all the China bashing going on, go out and have a look at the branded tyres you've put on your car and Google the factory code.

You might be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

So this debate has gotten heated. I have Michelin tyres on the avensis. All in I like the way the car performs with them. They were a big improvement over Hankooks and Bridgestones I had before and massively better than nexen tyres on the car when I bought it.

This video also shows the difference between a few tyre brands in wet and dry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_j-2W2uZ8c

I have had the avensis at 120 mph (took 5 miles downhill to get there) and to be fair I don't think I would have had the confidence to do this with another brand under me.

So this debate has gotten heated. I have Michelin tyres on the avensis. All in I like the way the car performs with them. They were a big improvement over Hankooks and Bridgestones I had before and massively better than nexen tyres on the car when I bought it.

This video also shows the difference between a few tyre brands in wet and dry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_j-2W2uZ8c

I have had the avensis at 120 mph (took 5 miles downhill to get there) and to be fair I don't think I would have had the confidence to do this with another brand under me.

Thats close to double the legal motorway limit. Hardly a fair environment to compare the relative merits of tyres designed for road cars.

• Advertisement

I drove to Budapest and back so while driving through Germany on the Autobahn it was legal. At no point did I say it was an environment for testing tyres. I simply said I wouldn't trust anything other than the best I have experienced with that sort of driving. Also 120mph is not close to double the motorway speed limit. It is not even double the national speed limit which would be 125mph. Motorways are 75mph which doubled gives 150mph.

What do you make of the video? That was the main point I was making as they conducted tests of braking distances for a collection of tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

And just another thing with all the China bashing going on, go out and have a look at the branded tyres you've put on your car and Google the factory code.

You might be surprised.

VW build cars in China. So do SAIC. Not the same thing.
    An IPhone isn't the same as an eBay smartphone.

Pretty much any Chinese branded tyres I know of are rubbish. Doesn't matter where they're made.

I drove to Budapest and back so while driving through Germany on the Autobahn it was legal. At no point did I say it was an environment for testing tyres. I simply said I wouldn't trust anything other than the best I have experienced with that sort of driving. Also 120mph is not close to double the motorway speed limit. It is not even double the national speed limit which would be 125mph. Motorways are 75mph which doubled gives 150mph.

What do you make of the video? That was the main point I was making as they conducted tests of braking distances for a collection of tyres.

I wouldn't give the video much weight as it is conducted by a magazine that is funded by advertising. That video is more or less advertorial in my opinion.

To put it another way, ring up whatcar and tell them you want to put a full page advert for something in their magazine in every issue from now to the end of the year and see how much that costs. Then send them one to review.

If you were to show me a report published by someone like ncaap that hasn't got a dog in the selling tyres fight it would be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

You might be surprised.
    Nobody is saying you can't get good quality product from China.

If you pay for it.

Quality materials cost money. Research on compounds costs money. Quality control costs money. Building a brand reputation over many years costs money.

Firing the cheapest of materials in, with no quality control, selling in bulk under one name this week and another next week so the stain of last weeks product doesn't follow you is much cheaper.

Only a handful of companies have stuck the course long enough to have a brand name that could be ruined by pumping out sh1te. But there seems to be a never ending supply of randomers - why take the chance with an unknown quantity?

Would you say a Great Wall is as good or better than a Land Rover? So why is a Landslide automatically as good as a Continental?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

I never said I bought cheap tyres.
    Cars I bought through private sales had cheap tyres fitted. They were replaced with real tyres :pac:

I enjoy driving, I like to have a car setup as best it can be, whether it's fresh OE suspension components or premium tyres to ensure it handles correctly.

I don't buy to a budget when it comes to something I drive, lots of people do as to them driving is a task or a chore which they don't enjoy so budget is reduced, fit the cheapest.

• Advertisement

Exactly my point too. You buy relatively nice cars and previous owners have been more than happy to put those tyres on the car.

I never said I bought cheap tyres.
    Cars I bought through private sales had cheap tyres fitted. They were replaced with real tyres :pac:

I enjoy driving, I like to have a car setup as best it can be, whether it's fresh OE suspension components or premium tyres to ensure it handles correctly.

I don't buy to a budget when it comes to something I drive, lots of people do as to them driving is a task or a chore which they don't enjoy so budget is reduced, fit the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Exactly my point too. You buy relatively nice cars and previous owners have been more than happy to put those tyres on the car.

Lots of people buy relative nice cars for vanity reasons only without actually knowing anything about cars. Cheap tyres and not servicing it also goes hand in hand. 161 Audi A4 1.2 TDi cheep tax with Triangle and the same oil in it for 100k would be ideal for many. If you could order that combo from factory with second hand oil and save €200 lots would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    Great Wall don't sell a petrol version here. Will washed diesel do you?

samih wrote: »
    Lots of people buy relative nice cars for vanity reasons only without actually knowing anything about cars. Cheap tyres and not servicing it also goes hand in hand. 161 Audi A4 1.2 TDi cheep tax with Triangle and the same oil in it for 100k would be ideal for many. If you could order that combo from factory with second hand oil and save €200 lots would do it.

Neilw cars don't strike me as cars that have not been looked after well by their previous owners.

Building a brand reputation over many years costs money.

Finally some sense.

Yes building a brand costs money. This is the price difference between unbranded and branded tyres.

Manufacturing tyres to go on cars is well understood, there is minimal research required to do it.

This year's pirellis are the same as last year's.

The extra money you are paying for them is to cover the cost of advertorials like that whatcar video, and signs at F1 races.

It simply isn't the case that unbranded tyres are dangerous. The majority of people around the country and probably the UK and continent get around fine on them.

I always think it's interesting that when this subject pops up it tends to be people who decry the standard of driving in Ireland as the worst in the world who get het up about how dangerous unbranded tyres are. If all the guff on this board were true there wouldn't be a driver left in control of a vehicle in Ireland they'd all be sitting crashed in ditches waiting for and Indy mechanic with a heart of gold to fix their car for half nothing and slap some proper tyres on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Maybe "ditchfinders" has more to do with the driver than the tyres.
    If you're not doing an appropriate speed for the conditions, nothing will keep you on the road.

There are many different compounds and patterns in tyres as well as directional tyres... but no one cares about that, they call up and all they want to know is do you have that size and what price. Invariably, most end up going with the cheapest option............ can't blame hire car companies for doing the same, or would you rather pay even more for better tyres?

I admit, I'm part of a giant conspiracy suppressing the fact that a Great Wall Steed actually holds the record round the Nurburgring, on a set of standard Wanlis. In the wet.

screamer wrote: »
    Maybe "ditchfinders" has more to do with the driver than the tyres.
    If you're not doing an appropriate speed for the conditions, nothing will keep you on the road.

Couldn't have said it better.

I suspect a lot of the guff about 'ditch finder's' is in fact lads looking for something to blame other than their own lack of ability to read a road \ conditions and drive appropriately , coupled with an inflated sense of their own driving ability caused by driving fast a lot and not having been found out badly yet.

Finally some sense.

Yes building a brand costs money. This is the price difference between unbranded and branded tyres.

Manufacturing tyres to go on cars is well understood, there is minimal research required to do it.

The extra money you are paying for them is to cover the cost of advertorials like that whatcar video, and signs at F1 races.

It simply isn't the case that unbranded tyres are dangerous. The majority of people around the country and probably the UK and continent get around fine on them.

I always think it's interesting that when this subject pops up it tends to be people who decry the standard of driving in Ireland as the worst in the world who get het up about how dangerous unbranded tyres are. If all the guff on this board were true there wouldn't be a driver left in control of a vehicle in Ireland they'd all be sitting crashed in ditches waiting for and Indy mechanic with a heart of gold to fix their car for half nothing and slap some proper tyres on it.
    So my car not losing it in the wet since I got branded tyres to replace the ****e that a tyre place in Limerick put on and wouldn't take off (long story) is a placebo effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just remember the next time you fly. The maintenance was (mostly) done by a company with the lowest overall tender. Should we all be panicked?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So my car not losing it in the wet since I got branded tyres to replace the ****e that a tyre place in Limerick put on and wouldn't take off (long story) is a placebo effect?

In my opinion, yes.

Finally some sense.

So what you are saying is that whatcar are a bunch of liers and they make stuff up to suit the company paying most for advertising, while the companies being lied about don't bother taking this up with the courts?

You know I am now going to unfollow this thread as some peoples stupidity knows no bounds.

In my opinion, yes.

i see.

I'm out. this thread is ridiculous.

So what you are saying is that whatcar are a bunch of liers and they make stuff up to suit the company paying most for advertising, while the companies being lied about don't bother taking this up with the courts?

You know I am now going to unfollow this thread as some peoples stupidity knows no bounds.

*liars

Fair enough.

I'd have thought the courts would be blocked with every motorist in Ireland taking action against tyre manufacturers for selling a product that by your description would seem to be criminally negligent in its construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

In my opinion, yes.

As I said before, some people are just closed minded and can't be educated.
    I'm out too :D

*liars

Lyres ! :)

As I said before, some people are just closed minded and can't be educated.
    I'm out too :D

I am 100% willing to change my opinion on this if someone can provide any evidence to support the 'ditchfinders' proposition, that isn't clearly advertising.

Stating your opinion over and over in the face of unbranded tyres CLEARLY being of reasonable enough design, construction, and safety to allow the overwhelming majority of Irish motorists safely get from a to b on a daily basis hardly constitutes 'educating'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I am 100% willing to change my opinion on this if someone can provide any evidence to support the 'ditchfinders' proposition, that isn't clearly advertising.

Stating your opinion over and over in the face of unbranded tyres CLEARLY being of reasonable enough design, construction, and safety to allow the overwhelming majority of Irish motorists safely get from a to b on a daily basis hardly constitutes 'educating'.

They are legal I'm sure.

That doesn't mean they are any good however.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement