Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avis Rental car with Triangle Tyres

Options
  • 04-03-2016 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Pretty disgusted with Avis Car Rental.
    Got a 141 70k and Triangle Tyres (cheap Chinese rubbish) on the front.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I would have said nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I wouldn't have taken that either. Makes you wonder how well it is looked after elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Rented recently from Europcar.
    Also got 141 with 50k and Hifly tyres on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would reporting them to the Internation HQ be an idea to see what the response is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Would reporting them to the Internation HQ be an idea to see what the response is?

Public shaming will get you the most traction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

They're entitled to put whatever tyres they want on the car, as long as they're E Marked and approved for use in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

AVIS Ireland is a franchise and part of the same group as Budget.

Technically, Triangle Tyres are road legal, but I'd refuse anything running on them as they are abysmal.

Very old and high mileage for their rental fleet - auto or an MPV of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

R.O.R wrote: »
    Even as a franchise holder you're still expected to maintain certain standards. I'm sure a company of that size, franchise or not, would be able to negotiate pretty decent prices on things like tyres, so there's no excuse for fitting rubbish like Triangles.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jez, triangle tyres sound awful, I'd guess square ones would be much more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Alun wrote: »
    Even as a franchise holder you're still expected to maintain certain standards. I'm sure a company of that size, franchise or not, would be able to negotiate pretty decent prices on things like tyres, so there's no excuse for fitting rubbish like Triangles.

Image the rock bottom prices they are able to negotiate for the triangles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

I wouldn't have taken that either. Makes you wonder how well it is looked after elsewhere
    It's going back - OH picked it up in the dark - also missing cargo shelf and handbrake is crap.

R.O.R wrote: »

Technically, Triangle Tyres are road legal, but I'd refuse anything running on them as they are abysmal.

Very old and high mileage for their rental fleet - auto or an MPV of some sort?
    No, regular astra estate. In future I would refuse anything older than a year.

Turned off the traction control and they spin like hell in the wet, but scared to leave if off on a roundabout. Anyway its going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

gk5000 wrote: »
    No, regular astra estate. In future I would refuse anything older than a year.

Turned off the traction control and they spin like hell in the wet, but scared to leave if off on a roundabout. Anyway its going back.

Estate? Did you ask for an Estate? They are very rare on rental fleets in Ireland, and that's probably why it's so old.

If you are just booking an Astra/Focus Size and don't have a corporate deal with Avis, always price budget too. Whenever I've priced both, Budget are always cheaper and they use more or less the same pool of cars.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Maybe someone got them replaced while it was out rented.

They're entitled to put whatever tyres they want on the car, as long as they're E Marked and approved for use in Europe.

True, but they are an atrocious tyre that increase the likelyhood of a RTA occurring.

When one rents a car you expect the car to have decent tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

MarkR wrote: »
    Maybe someone got them replaced while it was out rented.

Thats what i thought too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I'd bet atleast 50% of cars in Ireland have the 'cheap,dangerous' tyres on them. Cost is a huge factor and most people just want something legal regardless of the quality.

I hope they make second hand tyres illegal soon also. The industry really needs to be improved with beetter standards all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It would be a massive overreaction to bring the car back imo. Under normal driving condition those tires will be fine. You will only notice any difference in grip if you take it onto a track or if you are absolutely driving the nuts off it.

Cheap tires have more of an impact on road noise and comfort in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not this thread again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It would be a massive overreaction to bring the car back imo. Under normal driving condition those tires will be fine. You will only notice any difference in grip if you take it onto a track or if you are absolutely driving the nuts off it.

But the fastest car in the world is a rental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

With some cheap tyres grip in the wet can be brutal but perfect in the dry.
    Ditch finders . I wouldnt blame the op for dropping the car back.
    Paying good money to hire the car and not having confidence in it

I got a 131 from Budget recently, said they had nothing else in category. Both Ryanair and Aer lingus are using car trawler applications now. Prices are good value lately but service and quality might be suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

colm_mcm wrote: »
    not this thread again!

The old tyre thread was below 1.6mm so we had to change it to a new thread.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

9935452 wrote: »
    With some cheap tyres grip in the wet can be brutal but perfect in the dry.
    Ditch finders . I wouldnt blame the op for dropping the car back.
    Paying good money to hire the car and not having confidence in it

I have had both on my car. It had cheap budget tires on it when I got it and they were on it for a good 15k miles. I had zero problems with grip in the wet or dry, including some hard breaking. Where I did have a problem with them though is with road noise and comfort. They were dreadful in this regard. The michelins I fitted afterwards transformed the car. It was far, far quieter and comfort was much improved.

Now I'm not saying budget tires are a safe as mid range or premium tires and maybe on a higher powered car or a rwd car the difference in grip might be more noticeable but for your average fwd I defiantly don't think they are half as dangerous as some make out here.

Well I wouldn't put them on my own car so sure not going to drive a rental with the them. They are not OEM spec - no European car company would put them on a new car. Anyway the handbrake is also dodgy, and we live on a hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Had triangle tyres on a BMW they are woeful on wet roads it was like driving on ice. Comfort and road noise wasn't an issue grip on dry roads was ok but on wet can only be described at dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

Hire car companies are a law onto themselves no matter where u are, picked up a car one time in Geneva in January hadnt checked it over really as it was late , queue heading towards the house we were renting in the mountains and car losing all grip on a gentle incline put the chains on which were wrong size and managed to get to the house , check car in the morning and its running a set of well worn but legal summer continentals, took 2 days before hertz delivered a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the problem with these Triangle and Hifly tyres? Are they just extremely bad? I've never heard these brands.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the problem with these Triangle and Hifly tyres? Are they just extremely bad? I've never heard these brands.
    They are the cheapest chinese tyres possible, with a very hard rubber compound to last a long time, but with very bad grip in the wet.

You rent a car from a large American company but they have put 3'rd world tyres on it - in a country where it rains alot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

gk5000 wrote: »
    They are the cheapest chinese tyres possible, with a very hard rubber compound to last a long time, but with very bad grip in the wet.

You rent a car from a large American company but they have put 3'rd world tyres on it - in a country where it rains alot.

"E" marked though. The tyres are fully legal. It's not like a rental 1 point bland will ever push the boundries of tyre technology.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement