Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Valley Park

• 10-08-2015 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Hi

Does anybody know if this is opened and worth a visit for a walk?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

I'm part of the volunteer group who's getting the weekly parkrun going in Sept so it should definitely be open then but not sure about the moment. I'll send one of my contacts an email or you could always just email the Corpo's park depts - recreation@corkcity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Opus do you know if the gate from half moon lane will be open for the parkruns?

Would be nice to be able to run to/from them rather than having to arrive via the link road.

PS. Fair play for being part of the team behind it!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Would also love to know if this place is open yet, likewise, where will the pedestrian access be from? Great to have a new park so close to the city.

Opus do you know if the gate from half moon lane will be open for the parkruns?

Would be nice to be able to run to/from them rather than having to arrive via the link road.

PS. Fair play for being part of the team behind it!

Certainly hope so, we're waiting for written confirmation having been told verbally it would be a few months back. Will be arriving by bike myself so don't really fancy the idea of cycling out the Link Road.
    Léan wrote: »
    Would also love to know if this place is open yet, likewise, where will the pedestrian access be from? Great to have a new park so close to the city.

Half Moon Lane as mentioned by sixpack's little hat, it's just off the South Douglas Road after you cross the South Link bridge.

Just got confirmation that the pedestrian access will be available as detailed above. Handy for the bus as well as there's a bus stop fairly close to there as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Hi, does anyone have an update on the opening hours for the park?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ Alyssa Full Abalone

Is it open?
    Communication on this has been woeful. This thing has been 'opening' for the last 3 or 4 years. Either it is or it isn't!

PS the parkrun looks like a great idea. Well done to those behind it!

I checked facebook and I called the contact number which just rang out.

There might be an update soon?

I emailed them as well but got no reply. We've a meeting with a representative from the Parks section in the park next Monday about the upcoming parkrun (starting 26th) so I'll definitely know more after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Triangla wrote: »
    I checked facebook and I called the contact number which just rang out.

There might be an update soon?

Send them a tweet.

https://twitter.com/TramoreValPark

It looks like the park won't be 'officially' open 'til next Jan (at the earliest) as there are still some works to be done onsite.

However if you want to see it before then you'll just have to come along to one of the Sat morning parkruns starting on the 26th :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

opus wrote: »
    It looks like the park won't be 'officially' open 'til next Jan (at the earliest) as there are still some works to be done onsite.

However if you want to see it before then you'll just have to come along to one of the Sat morning parkruns starting on the 26th :)

What a farce. Can anything be done right in this city? Between this, stalled Marina Park redevelopment and the saga of the events centre the handling of big public projects in Cork is just comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Sorry to bump this thread but does anyone know if the park is open to the public yet?

Their Facebook/Twitter seems dead. Can't find any information anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Outside of official events No.

The were having a weekly 5k run but that has been cancelled because too many people were turning up and causing traffic problems.

The Cork BMX club have events there on the track.

I don't think you can rock up and then go for a walk.

A colleague went there for a run at lunchtime yesterday and it was closed.

What kind of weird park is this?

Triangla wrote: »
    A colleague went there for a run at lunchtime yesterday and it was closed.

What kind of weird park is this?

A park that hasn't been opened yet :) I assume your colleague went to the pedestrian entrance off the South Douglas road? You can always get via the entrance off the South Link during the opening hours for the recycling centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

So wtf is the story with this park? Closed today by the link entrance into the dump. No access on half moon lane eithier. But then there was a few joggers in there. Are they jumping a fence or something?

Lekrub wrote: »
    So wtf is the story with this park? Closed today by the link entrance into the dump. No access on half moon lane eithier. But then there was a few joggers in there. Are they jumping a fence or something?

Have heard there isn't enough funding available to open it fully at the moment. It's a compete embarrassment at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Haha what. How much funding does it need just to open it for running? Once the government is formed people should get onto local tds about it.

Found an article from last year saying it couldnt handle the turn out of cars for a sunday run and that seemed to be the end of it. €40m+ already spent on it too.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/council-vows-to-address-tramore-valley-park-access-problems-359617.html

Well that ends that anyway.

See this update about the parkrun that was on there, not going to be open anytime soon.
    Probably the last update for a while. Cork City council are only able to consider restarting the event once the park is officially open to the public with an operator onsite to manage events. Due to budget constraints this will most likely not be until early next year.
    If anything change in the meantime needless to say we'll put an update here.
    Thanks to all the volunteers & participants who've been involved up 'til now.

opus wrote: »
    See this update about the parkrun that was on there, not going to be open anytime soon.

As I said earlier a complete embarrassment. Another year before the park opens at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Yeah that's a complete joke tbh

I was out there last evening for an orienteering event, had a chat with one of the people working there & they were saying the pedestrian gate off Half Moon Lane is open during the day so if anyone local wanted to nip in for a walk/jog/whatever seems there's no problem.

As well the non-tarred part of the path around the perimeter has now been covered with grit so once it beds down will make it nice as not potholes/puddles etc.

No info on any official opening as yet mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FrSmooth

Does anyone know if the cycle/walk way between South Douglas Road and the park is open? I'm thinking of moving to the Douglas area and having that cycle way would shorten my commute significantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

FrSmooth wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the cycle/walk way between South Douglas Road and the park is open? I'm thinking of moving to the Douglas area and having that cycle way would shorten my commute significantly!

I don't know for sure but I believe you can cycle through there 'unofficially'.

FrSmooth wrote: »

Do you mean this one, if so afraid not the gate is locked at the other end of it, a friend of mine checked it out.

1znnc7n.jpg

Rather than opening the park that's sitting idle, looks like the council are planning to start developing a new one :confused:

Work begins on Cork's new Marina Park

It does look to have a good balloon launching machine though!

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=1.87_x1=100_y1=97.2__image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

opus wrote:
    Rather than opening the park that's sitting idle, looks like the council are planning to start developing a new one

I despair of this country!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Not sure what the problem is with the City Council announcing plans for Marina Park...it'll be a great project. Regardless of what happens with Tramore Valley.

See Cork County Council's design for southern access from Grange to the park via new n40 bridge.

http://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/cork-cms/files/2017-05/Preliminary%20Design%20Report.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

mire wrote:
    See Cork County Council's design for southern access from Grange to the park via new n40 bridge.

Ah is tramore park under the county council? City seem alot more proactive so would explain alot

• Advertisement

seefin wrote: »
    Ah is tramore park under the county council? City seem alot more proactive so would explain alot

Tramore Valley is Cork City council.

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/environmentrecreation/tramorevalleyparkmasterplan/

One of the councillors (Kieran McCarthy) says it far more eloquently that I can:
    There are also lessons to be learned from other parks in the city. Despite the circa e30m investment into the nearby 180-acre Tramore Valley park it remains closed due to staffing shortages and funding challenges in the Council. I don’t want to see a brand new Marina Park and then no funding available to staff it, maintain it or open it”.

Advertisement