Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

• 17-02-2016 10:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought we could do with a general chat thread around here, so this is going to be it!

Came across this on the Guardian, A guide to Italian coffee: sugar is optional, Frappuccino does not exist

I always thought too much sugar in Coffee and tea drinks in this part of the world. A guy in work puts more sugar in espresso than can really fit in the cup.

Also with Cappuccino when did chocolate need to be sprinkled on top, surely it should be sweet enough without this?

Anyway, feel free to post any random stuff in here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Great idea - always feel like posting stuff that doesn't really warrant a thread of its own!

The thing that always gets me is the whole macchiato terminology and how it has been damaged by Starbucks. Several times I've seen people ask for one in a café and the look on their face when they don't get the caramel milkshake! Also think tea is still very much a misunderstood thing in Ireland.

http://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2016/02/cafe-de-lambre-where-green-beans-have-been-aged-for-23-years/

This is a fascinating read - an unassuming café in Tokyo where the beans have been aged for years and are filtered through cloth socks. Goes against all the conventions you could think of and yet it sounds outstanding. The owner a fine 102 years of age! Would love to visit it one day, it sounds exquisite. Wonder what the story is with aging beans anyway?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is anyone thinking of going into the World of coffee thing in June?

€15 for a day pass.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

adrian522 wrote: »

€15 for a day pass.

whats this now? got a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭caviardreams

€15 for a day pass.

Thinking about it! Wondering if there would be roasters selling coffee etc. as well or is it just the tournament?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

mossym wrote: »
    whats this now? got a link?

Seems to be like an exhibition for specialty coffee rosters etc. The World Barista Championship and Brewers Cup are on there as well I think.

The link is here:

http://www.worldofcoffee-dublin.com/

I think some these parts attended last year.

Tickets here:

https://www.eventhaussecure.com/

• Advertisement

Thinking about it! Wondering if there would be roasters selling coffee etc. as well or is it just the tournament?

Exhibitor list here:

http://www.worldofcoffee-dublin.com/exhibitor-list.html

Some good stuff there anyway.

Sounds like a great day out - think I'll go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

*unlurk*

I work for a coffee roastery in NZ (as their CFO) if anyone wants anything answered from the other side of the counter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭donnacha

Very 3FE.

• Advertisement

€15 for a day pass.

I'd love to go. But paying? ... hopefully arabica69/ch2008/RE*ACT*OR still lurk around these parts and will kindly offer up some free passes :p I asked first :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I went in to get a coffee at this thing last year and just walked in, didn't know you had to pay until I left...

Feeling of joy when you finally dial in the grinder to a good setting and get the golden stuff coming out of the espresso machine :) Hario Mini Mill, step up from the last thing I was using. This will do nicely until I step up to a Baratza :)

http://i.imgur.com/Ic28gwA.jpg

Nick's Sweet Espresso beans are a steal! Nice nutty/toasty taste sort of like Ariosa. Fiver and a free coffee thrown it, can't really beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

J_E wrote: »
    Feeling of joy when you finally dial in the grinder to a good setting and get the golden stuff coming out of the espresso machine :) Hario Mini Mill, step up from the last thing I was using. This will do nicely until I step up to a Baratza :)

http://i.imgur.com/Ic28gwA.jpg

Nick's Sweet Espresso beans are a steal! Nice nutty/toasty taste sort of like Ariosa. Fiver and a free coffee thrown it, can't really beat it.

I used to live in Harolds Cross and miss Nicks beans! Always nice to pop over and grab a bag and a cup. Always wondered if a similar setup as Nicks would work here in Galway.

I think it's a great model really - keep the premises basic, serve good coffee and pass on some of the savings. Some good cafés struggle because they're in large expensive units - it would be cool to see more smaller bar-style joints around.

Yeah, I guess its difficult to source cheaper high quality beans as well. I'd imagine Nicks are doing the roasting themselves which would cut down on costs, I don't know that for sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Some great videos on the Munchies channel. Found a lot of the people in this one annoying though!

https://munchies.vice.com/en/videos/munchies-la-coffee

Anyone know anything about this roaster?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057564795

25% code off bell lane roasert here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057564795

Has anyone tried them?

25% code off bell lane roasert here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057564795

Has anyone tried them?

I've 1kg of their dragonfly in my basket, but going to wait to see if anyone here is familiar with the roaster. Comes in at around 20 quid including shipping with the discount applied.

• Advertisement

I just ordered some house blend and dragonfly - the discount covered the shipping, though I thought their shipping was quite pricey (€7.60 for 1500g) compared to a lot of places that do a flat rate of a fiver or even 'free' with a larger order.

Thanks, let us know what its like once it arrives.

Seems to be €3.80 per kg or part thereof. €3.80 postage for a 250g bag, also €3.80 for 1 x 500g + 2 x 250g.

Seems to be €3.80 per kg or part thereof. €3.80 postage for a 250g bag, also €3.80 for 1 x 500g + 2 x 250g.

Will do - it seems they dispatch thursdays for friday delivery so should have it for the weekend hopefully! Will start with the house blend I think!

Just pulled the trigger myself, went with Bolivian Single Origin 250g, Dragonfly Espresso 250g and Moondust Espresso 500g.

That's 1KG of coffee (unless my Maths are failing me again) for €23. So pretty good value if the coffee is any good.

I may have missed the 2pm cutoff for Friday delivery though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just ordered 2 kilos - moon dust, house blend, and their decaf. Hopefully it's not a let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

roaster used to roast for java

If you look at their site, the owner says that they aim to fill the commercial space between the large and the speciality

So somewhere between Bewleys and Bailies

roaster used to roast for java

If you look at their site, the owner says that they aim to fill the commercial space between the large and the speciality

So somewhere between Bewleys and Bailies

Well hopefully its closer to Bailies. Seems to roast to order so that's a good sign. Sent them an email about the delivery yesterday, only got an out of office reply.

Anyone got their bell lane order yet? Was expecting/hoping it would come today for the weekend but doesn't look likely now :(

Anyone got their bell lane order yet? Was expecting/hoping it would come today for the weekend but doesn't look likely now :(

Ordered mine Thursday evening and got it today - will give it a try when I get home later.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

waiting on some fairy floss from badger and dodo, some day in the future all couriers will use gps and real time tracking. it will be a beautiful day

in the mean time I decided to try out bulletproof coffee again, I used to like it but the ever loving hassle of it all put me off in the end. I was using a handheld stick blender and it was just a pain, not least of which was finding a glass I could fit the blender into. Picked up a nutrininja at the start of the year and have been using it for smoothies, had the bright idea of using it to blend the butter/coconut oil into the coffee. It blended together so much better than any I've had before, the foamy head actually stayed on the coffee the entire way through.

I don't think i'd try it with any coffee I'd order online, it seems a waste of beans with good flavour to drown them in butter and coconut but it's a nice little drink to throw into me every now and again with some of the cheaper supermarket varities. glad I tried it again.

Tasted the Bolivian single origin, decent enough, light enough roast, been drinking it from the aeropress. (Well not straight from the aeropress, brewed there!)

Tasted the Bolivian single origin, decent enough, light enough roast, been drinking it from the aeropress. (Well not straight from the aeropress, brewed there!)

Still haven't got mine - it must have got lost somewhere along the way :( Will hopefully track it down!

Sent by Courier so hard to see how it would get lost!

Just got my Bell Lane order. Contacted them yesterday to enquire about it and it turns out due to the busy-ness with the Feb offer my order had slipped through the cracks :( This was disappointing as it left me short of coffee for the weekend, however they dispatched it the same day I contacted them and it arrived a day later so full marks to their customer service for sorting the problem anyway!

Looking forward to giving it a whirl at the weekend :)

I just bought a kilo of the European Espresso from Ponaire, excited about trying it!

Do any of you use flasks to keep hot water with you? I have an Ikea one that was doing a good job until I left brewed coffee in it for 2-3 days by accident and it's never lost a funny taste of stagnant water. I wonder would a glass one be better at all?

• Advertisement

I used to use a flask to make coffee to take to work but it was never hot enough after a few hours so I gave up on that.

J_E wrote: »
    I just bought a kilo of the European Espresso from Ponaire, excited about trying it!

Do any of you use flasks to keep hot water with you? I have an Ikea one that was doing a good job until I left brewed coffee in it for 2-3 days by accident and it's never lost a funny taste of stagnant water. I wonder would a glass one be better at all?

That's really good - one of my favourites! Enjoy :)

That's really good - one of my favourites! Enjoy :)
    Great to hear! How could you go wrong at €19 a kilo with free delivery and a glowing testimonial!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

how long would a kg bag stay decent for?

i'd probably go through about 20g coffee on a week day as I'd be in college most of the day, could bump that up to 30-40 on a weekend if I was feeling adventurous too. would it still be good 6 weeks in?

strelok wrote: »
    how long would a kg bag stay decent for?

i'd probably go through about 20g coffee on a week day as I'd be in college most of the day, could bump that up to 30-40 on a weekend if I was feeling adventurous too. would it still be good 6 weeks in?
    I think the general consensus is that you'll get the best coffee up to a month after the roast date. Then it just begins to dull a bit. It's mostly important for espresso, you'll lose the crema and it becomes harder to pull a balanced shot. However, it's interesting to read about aged coffee, which seems to acquire its own flavour in the right conditions! If you're going through 20-30g a day you'll probably have the bag nearly done in a month.

• Advertisement

I used to use a flask to make coffee to take to work but it was never hot enough after a few hours so I gave up on that.

The zojirushi flasks are amazing. Coffeeangel started selling them recently.

Unfortunately I had to bin mine as the removable drinking spout picked up the cafiza notes when cleaning it! Still I got around 12mths use out of it.

Recently bought the 1 litre below on Amazon and I'll brew 800ml on the chemex at 7am and it'll still be perfect at 3pm: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008F7O3EY

I think that's the main issue with the hot flasks... If the gasket or spout picks up an odour, it's pretty much ruined :(

Wow, the beans arrived from Ponaire the day after I ordered - roasted to order too! I've never had beans so fresh, really delicious coffee :)

Giving the Bell Lane Dragonfly a go this morning - nice, though normally go for something a little stronger. Getting a milk chocolate feel with the hazelnut coming through at the end. Very drinkable :)

Just made my first cold brew, 40g to 500ml water, 11 clicks on the mini-mill (medium to coarse), left for 12 hours. It's like drinking dark chocolate, the flavours are incredible!

Think I'm switching more into just using the Aeropress at the moment over pulling espressos! Right now I'm stuck with a bean-to-cup machine. I can control the grind as I'm using the bypass doser but the tamp is automatic so the shots pulled can sometimes be inconsistent, and I've become super picky about sour/bitter shots, I'll just chuck them straight into the sink. Wasted a whole load of beans as I unscrewed my Mini Mill to clean it and ended up losing the 'special setting', so had to dial it in again! At least with the Aeropress you can't really have a bad cup if you keep everything consistent.

Currently using something along the lines of this recipe, although I reduce the amount of water a bit as that's enough for 2 cups' worth. A bit of steamed milk on top and it's great. It definitely has a more balanced taste the whole way through than the espresso lattes I make which start off sharp but lose their edge near the end.

Any nice beans people are trying at the moment? Cafes around Dublin worth checking recently?

Opened my Bell Lane House Blend last weekend and loving it. Much prefer it to the Dragonfly personally, a bit heavier and richer. Will probably reorder in the near future though the postage does put me off a bit, and I want to try out Rave first I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just cleaned out my gaggia mdf for the first time in a while. Need to do it more often. Considered taking before and after pictures but was too embarrassed when I saw the mess that it had become. It was definately affecting flavours which is why I eventually bothered my backside to take it apart.

Good guide here for anyone considering this. Grindz etc are good but a proper full manual clean is the business.

http://youtu.be/50lkQiAd6pk

Now I can mill into the €40 worth of coffee that arrived during the week from coffee mojo!!

I've just been putting Grindz through my Vario of late rather than cleaning it manually. Must do that at some point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've only ever cleaned the grinder with Cafiza granules in the year or so I've had it. Does a manual clean make a big difference on top of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I've only ever cleaned the grinder with Cafiza granules in the year or so I've had it. Does a manual clean make a big difference on top of this?

You mean the grindz yes? , I think it has a yellow label.

Only asking as I have cafiza (with the red label) which is essentially salt as far as I can make out which is used for backflushing machines with a solenoid valve that gets clogged with crap.

Im no expert but I'd recommend manually cleaning both grinder and espresso machine.

Starting with the grinder, I have a gaggia mdf and the link I left to open it and clean it really is child's play and believe me I'm no handyman. The **** that you find if not done on a semi regular basis that grindz just will not clear is not nice to see.
    This should be done on top of the regular cleaning with the likes of grindz though.

Then the machine, I have a gaggia classic.
    The backflushing is again easy as pie as is descaling. Really not a lot to either of them. As far as I'm aware if your machine doesn't have a solenoid valve (some of the newer gaggia classics don't) you don't want to backflush it as it can damage the machine... I could be wrong there so will stand corrected if necessary :-)

You can manual clean it further by removing your group head, shower screen etc ... Just to get that little bit further into the oils and crap that collects over time.

So eh yes I'd definately say a manual clean makes all the difference.

Just my two cents there though.

More on here with waaaaay more knowledge than myself and have been more than helpful down the years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement