Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Bryan Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Looper007 wrote: »
    This was a tough one to take, my favourite wrestler of the last 16 years. Cause if there was one good guy of pro wrestling it's Bryan Danielson. I never heard one bad thing said about the guy and outside the ring he's conducted himself with class. Even Kevin Owens was in tears, that's why Bryan was so loved by the fans,he was a hugly likeable guy. When you saw him get beat down you felt for him when he won the title at WM30 you cheered for him. A very rare case these days sadly in pro wrestling.

If there is one good thing to come from this, Bryan retired at the top of his game so you won't see a downturn or people say "he's not as good as he once was" talk. Bryan went out the best wrestler in the world and his career will be looked upon as one of the greatest. Now he can go off and start a family and just put his feet up and enjoy life. WWE will call him back for guest appearances but I don't see him been a trainer in NXT or anything else.

To be honest, he was already a hall of famer for his independent run alone as the American Dragon. so he would have got into many hall of fames for that alone but now he's a dead cert for that in WWE.

The worry for WWE now is where are they going to find a top babyface that gets his reactions and gets fan investedin their matches from now. Reigns?? he's always going to split opinion within the crowds. Ambrose?? he has top heel written all over him and comes of rather stand offish. AJ? great wrestler but lacks the likeability of Bryan. Zayn?? will WWE push him or give him some of the chances they did Bryan. He's the best chance of it for me. For me the most likeable person that rivals Bryan they have is Bayley, like Bryan she comes off like a great person inside and outside of the ring and her title win had everyone in tears.

Anyway Bryan is a legend and will be a influence for many years to come for many young up and coming wrestlers. The lesson learned is you don't have to be a asshole or backstab people to be the biggest star in WWE.

i think rollins will be the next big face the company has.

but back on topic bryan was just one of those wrstlers who were getting better every year but sadly he took to much out of his body in the early parts of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If he wants to remain involved in wrestling, I think Smackdown GM would be a good role for him. He wouldn't be needed every week and never has to be physically involved in anything. Would be a nice change to have a baby face authority figure too.

Saying that, I doubt he would want to be that close to wrestling considering how it was taken away from him. Think of the thing you enjoy most in the world, then imagine being told you can't do it anymore. Would you really want to watch other people do it? As for Brie, I reckon she will be gone too by the end of the year.

It's a shame he had to throw in the towel but he had an amazing career even if he never went to WWE. The vast majority will never achieve half of what he has. At least he got to go out in almost his home town even if it wasn't on his own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I thought you meant Ashley Massaro for a min. :pac:

I listen & relisten to Flair's show so much that when I see her, I can only think of her as Ashley. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Anyone watch the interviews of other wrestlers reacting to his retirement. As expected most were nice and respectful but dolph ziggler came across as a d*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Anyone watch the interviews of other wrestlers reacting to his retirement. As expected most were nice and respectful but dolph ziggler came across as a d*ck.

Did he? All he said was he wasn't that close to him personally. Came across as honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

CaysUmzWcAAZn2v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ah ffs, I thought I ran out of onions last night! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Damn, I wasn't ready to see that picture..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I think that picture captures how pretty much every fan felt and still feels about this. Steve Austin retiring was the end of an era, Ric Flair retiring was the end of an era, Shawn Michaels retiring was the end of an era and now Daniel Bryan retiring is the end of another era! As fans we are blessed to have seen such a gifted performer. And also in an industry full of awful, horrible, woman beating, perverted, thieving, back stabbing scum that a truely nice guy rose to the very top.

There will never be another Daniel Bryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

When he got that ridiculous buzz after getting sacked I knew he'd be too big to be ignored.

From then on in I knew in my gut he'd be a world champion at some point and it really has been the highpoint of my viewership to see him go from NXT fodder for heel Cole to beating HHH and the two boyos in a feckin main event of Mania. It vastly lessens my love of current and future WWE to know we won't likely ever see him wrestle again. A HOF career and hopefully he lives a long and healthy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

That picture is heartbreaking....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Christ I can't take that photo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

will he get a hall of fame induction in 2017 ???

happy to see him in his last match in Dublin last april

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

That photo has me haunted all night since seeing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

This is my favourite Daniel Bryan moment ever. I've never seen to crowd chant and gesture in unison like that before:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

After that photo, I think we all need a laugh....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Only now finding out WWE put all of the Team Hell No videos into a playlist :cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone catch the interview with the doctor on NewsTalk tonight? The Nigerian-American guy (Will Smith plays him in 'Concussion') who discovered CET in the first place was on. Reckons all the emphasis on concussions is missing the point, and that most of the damage in cases of CET (like Benoit's brain, for example) is caused by repeated blows, bumps, and sudden stops that don't necessarily cause concussions at all. Might have been something that contributed to Danielson's decision, I suppose, but sounds like the kind of thing that could affect the majority of wrestlers, hockey players, football players, rugby/boxing/MMA, even soccer players who head the ball a lot. Worrying stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is that the Bear video he was on about at the end of the backstage interview from last night?

And who was the one that kicked the bear in the groin the first time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is that the Bear video he was on about at the end of the backstage interview from last night?

And who was the one that kicked the bear in the groin the first time?

Renee Young, it was on the JBL & Cole show a few years ago

Can anyone post the JBL and Cole show with Regal and DB as Ninjas?? Sorry on my phone.

I'm speechless...

Bryan was on Sports centre and admitted to having had at least 10 documented concessions, and even had post concussion Siemens after some of them. He'd been hiding this info.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14750304

I'm so glad he's stepped away

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Renee Young, it was on the JBL & Cole show a few years ago

Ah ok. I thought it might be but she looked different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Can anyone post the JBL and Cole show with Regal and DB as Ninjas?? Sorry on my phone.
    About 4 minutes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I feel so lucky that I got to see him wrestle a few times, especially as part of Team Hell No.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

An File wrote: »
    Anyone catch the interview with the doctor on NewsTalk tonight? The Nigerian-American guy (Will Smith plays him in 'Concussion') who discovered CET in the first place was on. Reckons all the emphasis on concussions is missing the point, and that most of the damage in cases of CET (like Benoit's brain, for example) is caused by repeated blows, bumps, and sudden stops that don't necessarily cause concussions at all. Might have been something that contributed to Danielson's decision, I suppose, but sounds like the kind of thing that could affect the majority of wrestlers, hockey players, football players, rugby/boxing/MMA, even soccer players who head the ball a lot. Worrying stuff!

There was a report a few days ago by scientists that said getting banged on the head playing sport can QUADRUPLE the risk of suicide.

It's frightening stuff and I think over the next ten to twenty years we're going to hear a lot more about this.

I would be particularly concerned about rugby. You take a guy like Johnny Sexton. This chap has endured a scary number of concussions in the last 18 months or so and is still playing at an intense level. Medical professionals will claim they are looking after him but how can they know for sure when the expert opinion is fluctuating all the time?

I remember listening to Chris Nowinski give a talk in Ireland on concussions. It might be up on Youtube. Anyway at one point he says that while the brain is resilient enough to recover from a concussion, the real danger is when you take ANOTHER blow while the brain is still trying to respond to the initial hit it sustained. It is these subsequent hits which do the enormous damage. At this talk, where he mainly discussed NFL, someone asked him about rugby and he basically just shrugged and laughed and said he was disturbed to think what these guys were doing to themselves, many without any head protection.

This is really uncomfortable viewing, from 2 mins on, but it appears Bryan has a seizer mid match here

https://youtu.be/zDZAQvc2pAE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    This is really uncomfortable viewing, from 2 mins on, but it appears Bryan has a seizer mid match here

https://youtu.be/zDZAQvc2pAE

Jesus. I really hope that was just good acting but it looks really bad and then the finish seems to change on the fly as well because sheamus only acknowledges the count out late on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

That clip is doing the rounds in Gif's as well, Meltzer pointed out he is 100% just selling in it.

Incidentally, the Observer has tremendous detail on the retirement story. Here is the key information, regarding the Evoke Neuroscience testing Bryan underwent in NYC on 21st January. Six days later, he got the results:

"Danielson’s test showed a small subacute or chronic lesion in his temporal parietal region of the brain, the area of the brain that causes seizures. Danielson has had post concussion seizures for a long time and nobody could find any evidence as to why.

What is key here is that Danielson made the decision on his own to retire after finding evidence that something was wrong. He was not told after getting the test results that he had to retire, and he will be undergoing more testing, but the damage was still in evidence more than eight months after his most recent concussion.

The fact he still has a lesion on the brain this far removed from his last match is disconcerting. I hope his quality of life won't be strongly effected in the long term.

Advertisement