Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Bryan Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

As much as I hate to say it, I hope this is true.

I'd much rather see Bryan walk out of the ring announcing his retirement than be wheeled out after continuing for too long. He has had one of the most exciting careers in wrestling history (and on a personal level, having the banter with him at ROH and Noah shows was awesome and one of my favourite wrestling experiences) and its much better to celebrate those memories, rather than look back and think "****, he deal should have stopped when he had the chance".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Raws rating tonight are gonna be massive cause of this. Imagind the reaction, especially with all the coverage that it's getting.

Do not put this past Vince as a work.

And yes.....I'm in denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

SlickRic wrote: »
    Fair play to Vince tbh.

He's doing it for selfish reasons though, paying Daniel Bryan money so he can't work elsewhere, same as Rey Mysterio. It's really petty given that no organisation is even close to WWE, although Bryan could be a game-changer.

That said, it's certainly best if he does retire, so in this case it's the right call. It's more the general trend of WWE locking up guys in contracts and not using them so nobody else can either that I don't like. Kinda like Man City's sub bench. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The mark/welt on Bryan's head after the Headbutts with Ziggler were scary (end of Mania ladder match) and made me worry about his safety.

I am hopeful whatever news he got was enough to get him to make smart decisions about his health and not something that will damage his quality of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

How is it petty that Vinces company continues to pay the man, has advised him for a year to retire for his own safety and finally when Bryan realises that Vince & co. are right, Vince is still the selfish one? And then you say its best he retires? Which is it, either you think Vince is a selfish pr*ck preventing Bryan from working or you believe hes been right all this time and Bryan needs to retire?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Could still be a work. WWE's hack Doctor put the no compete on him. He was cleared by one of the best neurosurgeons in the country and cleared without restrictions. From what I had read and heard in interviews was that he was going to get another opinion to try and convince the WWE Doctor to clear him.

My gut tells me, he's not the type of guy to tweet something like that for a storyline but it's not beyond the realm of possibility that this is work. Doesn't it also seem strange that they are currently building Brie (who can't work and hasn't been getting a push) against Charlotte at the same time..

Thursday before the Royal Rumble he was in New York for a new battery of tests based on new technology that can detect early signs of CTE in the brain. Based on what was discovered, Bryan himself made the decision to retire.

I should not still be surprised by people peddling the "it's a work" theory but somehow I still am.

It's still 1995 in some peoples minds, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Vince can be selfish and petty it comes with running a business sometimes but not clearing Daniel Bryan to wrestle for nearly a year wasn't him being selfish or petty it was him looking out for the well being of Daniel Bryan and we seen it with Edge five years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Vince can be selfish and petty it comes with running a business sometimes but not clearing Daniel Bryan to wrestle for nearly a year wasn't him being selfish or petty it was him looking out for the well being of Daniel Bryan and we seen it with Edge five years ago.

By not doing this, and I hate using Triple H's line, but Vince did what was ''Best For Business''.

And I for one applaud him for it.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    By not doing this, and I hate using Triple H's line, but Vince did what was ''Best For Business''.

And I for one applaud him for it.

Exactly, he was looking out for what was best for WWE and what was best for Daniel Bryan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Unless Bryan gets for a road agent type of job, I say Brie might be following him.

Well known within the industry that Brie wants to leave and have a family. Looks to me like she's doing the honours for Ashley on the way out.

People KEEP speculating about this, but Bryan has made it clear he doesn't want to be an agent or teacher and doesn't think he would be good at it. He says in his book he is good at wrestling but it's instinctive and he can't teach it. I think I have pointed this out at least 10 times in this thread but I still keep reading people suggesting it :-)

WHY THE **** ARE ALL MY POSTS DOUBLING THIS EVENING!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

It seems like last week though that Brie is back in title picture again after being in the back seat with Alicia for so long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Could be that they do some kind of retirement/firing angle for her shot at Charlotte. The booking suggests Becky and Sasha will be in the picture for Mania.

Monokne wrote: »
    Well known within the industry that Brie wants to leave and have a family. Looks to me like she's doing the honours for Ashley on the way out.

People KEEP speculating about this, but Bryan has made it clear he doesn't want to be an agent or teacher and doesn't think he would be good at it. He says in his book he is good at wrestling but it's instinctive and he can't teach it. I think I have pointed this out at least 10 times in this thread but I still keep reading people suggesting it :-)

Would like to see him do a podcast like a lot of other guys have done and have heard his book is a good read so must check that out, bet he could talk for days about his own career especially with guys like Owens, Balor, Nakamura and Zayn who have done the Indy scenes and Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I hope against hope this is bullshirt/a Mark Henry style swerve. If not it's the worst news since Edge quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Incredible performer. I'm absolutely devastated for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I felt bad for him when the news broke earlier but they just showed this on the RAW pre-show & now I'm genuinely upset.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Ah man :(

It's good that he seems to have come to terms with it, and there's absolutely nothing to have any regrets over, the guy reached the very top in the face of pretty constant opposition and retires with a level of widespread appreciation that no American wrestler of his generation has had, save maybe Cena.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sorry to see him go obviously but long term best for his health. What surprise me is that they would blow it off on a Raw show; why not keep it until Wrestlemania for a proper good bye (buy factor; announce Daniel will make a statement at WM which people would read as getting involved in the title match etc.) instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I was a fan of his since the Morishima matches. The matches with Nigel, and countless others.

When he joined WWE in 2010, I was on one of my breaks from wrestling shall we say. Him being hired there lead me back to it.

And then the tie incident happened and he was fired. I stopped watching again until about 2012, and lo and behold he was World Champion! I couldn't believe it. A guy like him, who would never in a million years be a "Vince type guy" had the damn strap.

He was so much more then an outstanding wrestler. Teaming up with Kane unlocked a whole new side to him. He could be entertaining and charismatic and he got over like no one else has in years and years.

I remember after WM30 while being overjoyed, thinking 'this is the peak, he can't possibly go any higher then this but they can never take it away from him.'

Flair and Edge were hard to take when they bowed out. This one cut me deep though. When he started talking about his dad I had to turn it off.

Very sad but at least he's given himself a chance at a lengthy and healthy life and a family. He's 100% done the right thing, and it shows WWE were right to not clear him.

Now, I have some onions to chop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Really sad considering how much he had established himself as a super over babyface. He would have been the face of the company for years to come.

Really glad he has retired. Like Edge and Austin I find it a relief that somebody retires when it is borderline re: health issues.

Id love to see DB continue but not if it'd kill him in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

This one has hit me hard, i'm broken up for him, cos he's so genuinely nice, and his love for the business is unrivalled.

That being said, this is absolutely the right step. Unquestionably, this needs to be done. Knowing now what's known about concussions, he needs to walk away.

Bryan is a talented guy, and i'm sure the WWE will have some role for him, either training, or as an agent. He has a great mind for the business, and knows what makes an exciting match. I think the future for Bryan is bright

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, the man's health is infinitely more important. I think my biggest regret is never getting to see him face off against Nakamura like he was hoping for the Tokyo show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Been watching him for 10+ years and have pretty much always loved seeing him. I think the match which really hooked me to him was V Nigel in Liverpool, but his series with Aries the year previous and his few matches with Gibson were the oens which put him on my radar.

Despite this I never thought he would make it in WWE. His style was too different and his look just was not a proper fit. So imagine my surprise when he won the World Title. Strangely though, I was not that surprised he got as super over as what he did. It is what he did everywhere, be it PWG, ROH or NOAH, he knew his audience and worked accordingly.

Then it was his series with Morishima which, in my eyes, made him a great. I always pitied the people who looked down their noses at the indies and these matches made it moreso. Missing out on the most hard hitting amazing spectacle out of pure WWE snobbery.

Shame he has had to retire as such a young age, but he can truly say he has done it all. Titles in Japan, ROH and main eventing Wrestlemania. Not many can say that. And that doesn't even begin on how he got himself over is such a way. That run from Summerslam to the Rumble between 2013/2014 was a thing of beauty. Then despite being seemingly hamstrung by the bookers at the Rumble and his subsequent alignment with the Wyatts, he got himself over again in possibly even more spectacular fashion. Not many could have done this.

He has had an amazing career by anyones standards.

It seems like last week though that Brie is back in title picture again after being in the back seat with Alicia for so long now.

That's what I was saying fam, she's putting Ashley over at the PPV. I'd imagine she'll finish up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Monokne wrote: »
    That's what I was saying fam, she's putting Ashley over at the PPV. I'd imagine she'll finish up then.

I thought you meant Ashley Massaro for a min. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

This was a tough one to take, my favourite wrestler of the last 16 years. Cause if there was one good guy of pro wrestling it's Bryan Danielson. I never heard one bad thing said about the guy and outside the ring he's conducted himself with class. Even Kevin Owens was in tears, that's why Bryan was so loved by the fans,he was a hugly likeable guy. When you saw him get beat down you felt for him when he won the title at WM30 you cheered for him. A very rare case these days sadly in pro wrestling.

If there is one good thing to come from this, Bryan retired at the top of his game so you won't see a downturn or people say "he's not as good as he once was" talk. Bryan went out the best wrestler in the world and his career will be looked upon as one of the greatest. Now he can go off and start a family and just put his feet up and enjoy life. WWE will call him back for guest appearances but I don't see him been a trainer in NXT or anything else.

To be honest, he was already a hall of famer for his independent run alone as the American Dragon. so he would have got into many hall of fames for that alone but now he's a dead cert for that in WWE.

The worry for WWE now is where are they going to find a top babyface that gets his reactions and gets fan investedin their matches from now. Reigns?? he's always going to split opinion within the crowds. Ambrose?? he has top heel written all over him and comes of rather stand offish. AJ? great wrestler but lacks the likeability of Bryan. Zayn?? will WWE push him or give him some of the chances they did Bryan. He's the best chance of it for me. For me the most likeable person that rivals Bryan they have is Bayley, like Bryan she comes off like a great person inside and outside of the ring and her title win had everyone in tears.

Anyway Bryan is a legend and will be a influence for many years to come for many young up and coming wrestlers. The lesson learned is you don't have to be a asshole or backstab people to be the biggest star in WWE.

Advertisement