Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Happy with my Sky+HD + multiroom offering for now. Won't go near this for a few years. Early adopter disasters and all that :D

It's looking very polished at this stage and some of the demo setups are on very janky broadband connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Avada wrote: »
    Not really its actually a very good indication in this case as £42 (the UK price) is nearly exactly €55. Could be very good news for Irish customers.

ETA: If they go down this route, it may only cost a customer with Variety, Sports, Movies, HD + MS an extra 50c per month (€116 versus current €115.50).

So just to update, it will actually be €113.50, so a drop in price for people on this package. Okay it's a high price, but I am pleasantly surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a €1 increase for me for the basic package. Seems all I'll lose is 1 Sky Go user but I think the downloadable programs onto a tablet makes up for that, especially when you have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

http://www.irishexaminer.com//examviral/technology-and-gaming/sky-announce-pricing-for-new-skyq-boxes-heres-all-the-details-info-youll-need-378965.html

Click the link above for the whole thing plus other details.
    This is a copy paste.

But Sky here on Boards.ie posted this: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057554301

New customers

Those who aren’t with Sky already can join Sky Q for €129.80 – that’s the installation cost – and then one of two bundles at either €55 or €70.80. The former is the Sky Q bundle, the latter the bigger, Sky Q Silver bundle which has multi-room watching at the same time, as well as more storage on the box and the ability to record four shows at once while watching a fifth.

Customers can then add sport, movies and entertainment bundles as they see fit, with movies costing an extra €22.30 a month and sports €29.50. Get them both together and Sky will give them to you for €45.25.

Existing customers

Existing Sky+ customers will pay depending on the package they currently have with the company. Typically, Sky says, it will cost customers around €15.73 to upgrade – though some could pay as little as €2 a month more.

For example, a customer who already has the Sky+ Family bundle, sports, movies and multiscreen that costs €114 could upgrade to Sky Q Silver for only €2 a month more, plus a set-up fee of €195.40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

PeteK* wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com//examviral/technology-and-gaming/sky-announce-pricing-for-new-skyq-boxes-heres-all-the-details-info-youll-need-378965.html

This is a copy paste.

But Sky here on Boards.ie posted this: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057554301

New customers

Those who aren’t with Sky already can join Sky Q for €129.80 – that’s the installation cost – and then one of two bundles at either €55 or €70.80. The former is the Sky Q bundle, the latter the bigger, Sky Q Silver bundle which has multi-room watching at the same time, as well as more storage on the box and the ability to record four shows at once while watching a fifth.

Customers can then add sport, movies and entertainment bundles as they see fit, with movies costing an extra €22.30 a month and sports €29.50. Get them both together and Sky will give them to you for €45.25.

Existing customers

Existing Sky+ customers will pay depending on the package they currently have with the company. Typically, Sky says, it will cost customers around €15.73 to upgrade – though some could pay as little as €2 a month more.

For example, a customer who already has the Sky+ Family bundle, sports, movies and multiscreen that costs €114 could upgrade to Sky Q Silver for only €2 a month more, plus a set-up fee of €195.40.

I would put money on the irish examiner reading the press release this morning and putting all the figures into xe.com ;)

• Advertisement

PeteK* wrote: »

This is a copy paste.

New customers

Existing customers

This is simply a conversion and it's wrong.

Okay so I see they'rd talking prices so Irish set up is the same as the UK just change the £ to a €. E.g. €99 for set up with premiums or broadband.

Silver bundle at €67 gets you one mini box with the option to add another for 99. No sub cost. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is simply a conversion and it's wrong.

Okay so I see they'rd talking prices so Irish set up is the same as the UK just change the £ to a €. E.g. €99 for set up with premiums or broadband.

Silver bundle at €67 gets you one mini box with the option to add another for 99. No sub cost. Very tasty.

Yes, something wrong with it as they mention pounds later in the article so it's just a UK conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Cush wrote: »
    FTA sat TV abhors a vacuum so to speak so I've no doubt there'll be gadgets/gizmos/switches available to allow the new wideband LNBs to work with legacy receivers.

Sort of confirmed over on the Sky community forums that there will be a solution available for people who install SkyQ in conjunction with Freesat.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/People-with-freesat/td-p/2416130

This was posted over on the DS forum, from the Sky Communal FAQ's. Looks like SCR will be included,
      What is a Sky Q ready upgrade?

A Sky Q ready upgrade is an enhancement to your existing communal system where a Digital Single Cable Router switch (containing Ethan–Ready* technology) is fitted at the head-end allowing anyone that wants Sky Q to be connected.

*Project Ethan, internal development codename for SkyQ

Looks like these are the Digital Single Cable Router (dSCR) switches Sky will use in communal installations allowing legacy, SCR and terrestrial feeds from a single switch fed by a Quattro LNB, available in 4, 8 and 16 ways units with 4 cascadeable LNB inputs.

http://www.johansson.be/en/products/CAT/MUL/DSCR.html
      http://www.johansson.be/download.php?lang=en&id=654 - Manual

9744SKY-top-view.png

Unitron (Johansson) introduced a range of wideband satellite products at IBC2015 last year including a new wideband LNB (wbLNB) with an LO of 10.41.

Safe to assume they be supplying Sky with their LNBs.

http://www.unitron.be/en/news-events/unitrongroup-introduces-wideband-satellite-product-family.html
      Designed as a cost optimized and power optimized solution for System providers who do not need to coexist with other signals such as Terrestrial or Cable, the LNB converts the Vertical and Horizontal RF signals directly to IF signals. Each polarity output is 290 – 2340 MHz and uses a LO of 10.41GHz.
      Along with the LNB, Unitron offers an entire range of wideband accessories including: wideband indoor 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8-way splitters, wideband line amplifiers, and wideband IF trunk amplifiers.

• Advertisement

Sort of confirmed over on the Sky community forums that there will be a solution available for people who install SkyQ in conjunction with Freesat.

This was posted by Nsewell over in the DS forum, no source given for the info
      The standard LNB installed as part of Sky Q will only support Sky Q equipment.

However under certain circumstances the installer can install a Hybrid LNB which can serve both Sky Q and legacy/Freesat equipment. This Hybrid LNB has 6 outputs and any of the outputs can be used to feed any type of equipment.

The info I have is that Sky will not be supporting freesat/SkyQ set ups.

Very possible to do yourself by the sounds of it but not something you can request. There is an operational need in very limited cases and as a temporary fix for these to be installed in some cases but I'm not going into the details.

Nixers - dunno.

The info I have is that Sky will not be supporting freesat/SkyQ set ups.

Very possible to do yourself by the sounds of it but not something you can request. There is an operational need in very limited cases and as a temporary fix for these to be installed in some cases but I'm not going into the details.

Nixers - dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It looks like a second satellite dish would have to be installed with the SkyQ lnb in addition to the first one for free sat and legacy sky boxes.

Jpmarn wrote: »
      It looks like a second satellite dish would have to be installed with the SkyQ lnb in addition to the first one for free sat and legacy sky boxes.

SkyQ and Sky+ wont be allowed at the same address. Of course nothing to stop you having a Sky+ box without a viewing card but a second dish would require planning permission.

The info I have is that Sky will not be supporting freesat/SkyQ set ups..
      Jpmarn wrote: »

The Sky community forum is saying they will support a SkyQ/freesat solution from a single dish (Hybrid LNB?). No information yet possibly due to NDAs.

People with freesat
      Annie+UK Oracle on ‎02-02-2016 10:19 PM - last edited on ‎03-02-2016 03:50 PM by Community Manager Mark-Br Community Manager

Sky have confirmed that there is an option to install Sky Q so that it will work with Freesat and you can run the two systems off the same dish �� ��

Initially we assumed that because Sky Q and Sky+HD could not be used together it was a hardware issue but this seems to not be the case.

This should make a few people happier
      Re: People with freesat
      ‎Annie+UK Oracle on 02-02-2016 10:30 PM - edited ‎02-02-2016 10:30 PM

We have been quizzing Sky all day on the close sections of the community to get the misinformation cleared up ��

There are no details of what the install entails just the confirmation that it is possible.

SkyQ and Sky+ wont be allowed at the same address. Of course nothing to stop you having a Sky+ box without a viewing card but a second dish would require planning permission.

SkyQ and Sky+ wont be allowed on the same account from what I've read but possible with different account at the same address and using a single dish if the previous Sky community forum info is correct. Rental accommodation for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Will the extra boxes with SkyQ work over existing terminated cat6 points for Network or it expects to use Skys home plugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭muffler

but a second dish would require planning permission.
      A single dish on the front of a house requires permission but this something that PA's dont normally enforce. However if 2 dishes were to become the norm then there's a fair chance of PAs enforcing the regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Nsewell

eddiem74 wrote: »
      Will the extra boxes with SkyQ work over existing terminated cat6 points for Network or it expects to use Skys home plugs?

The Q boxes can connect to your router using both WiFi and Ethernet as well as the built in Powerline functionality if you have the new Sky Q Hub.

• Advertisement

SkyQ and Sky+ wont be allowed on the same account from what I've read but possible with different account at the same address and using a single dish if the previous Sky community forum info is correct. Rental accommodation for example.

Definitely not allowed multiple accounts at the same address. Bug bear of many :D

Definitely not allowed multiple accounts at the same address. Bug bear of many :D

Maybe not allowed but is done as we seen from posts here over time, I guess it depends how many accounts. Why would it be a bugbear for you?

The problem people are going to have doing it with SkyQ - especially at launch will be broadband pinning accounts to a unique address.

There's always a few that manage to trick the system, I'd wager 98% of people who try fail to pull it off though!

The Sky community forum is saying they will support a SkyQ/freesat solution from a single dish (Hybrid LNB?). No information yet possibly due to NDAs.

The Sky community forum confirming that it will be a Hybrid LNB, from Sky staff, but no details regarding configuration or number of outputs. Second dish will not be required for Freesat/legacy receivers.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q/m-p/2417177#M2224
      Re: Sky Q
      Annie+UK Oracle on ‎05-02-2016 11:36 AM

Info fresh in from sky: If a hybrid LNB is used at install then it would be possible to use older receivers.

DaleC Pro on ‎05-02-2016 12:11 PM

The Hybrid LNB would be used in exceptional cases and no addtional cabling would be required depending on your setup.

DaleC Pro on ‎05-02-2016 12:37 PM

From what I gather the High Band LNB will be the standard LNB and the Hybrid will be used if necessary.

rscott Oracle on ‎06-02-2016 10:55 PM

No - they're not going to install a second dish. The solution is a hybrid LNB, but we don't know any more details or the criteria for Sky to install it.

‎Annie+UK Oracle on ‎06-02-2016 11:03 PM

I'm not sure I'm allowed to give the exact details as some of the forum members were told in a closed section by sky staff.

DaleC Pro on ‎06-02-2016 11:08 PM

We do know that a Hybrid LNB will be available but I don't think we can share how many feeds it has or how it works.

‎Annie+UK Oracle 06-02-2016 11:09 PM - edited ‎06-02-2016 11:10 PM

We have been told exactly how the hybrid LNB can be configured but as I said above this was from a closed forum that selected forum members, like DaleC and myself have access to.

Over in the DS forum Nsewell posted "This Hybrid LNB has 6 outputs and any of the outputs can be used to feed any type of equipment".

Speculating here, the hybrid LNB outputs might operate like these new SkyQ dSCR multiswitches for communal installations. Each output operates like a standard legacy output until one detects an SCR signal from a SkyQ box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Can we take it that on Tuesday, all will be revealed by Sky,as in official ROI prices and packages and confirmation as to how they will resolve the lnb issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

The Sky community forum confirming that it will be a Hybrid LNB, from Sky staff, but no details regarding configuration or number of outputs. Second dish will not be required for Freesat/legacy receivers.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q/m-p/2417177#M2224

Over in the DS forum Nsewell posted "This Hybrid LNB has 6 outputs and any of the outputs can be used to feed any type of equipment".

Speculating here, the hybrid LNB outputs might operate like these new SkyQ dSCR multiswitches for communal installations. Each output operates like a standard legacy output until one detects an SCR signal from a SkyQ box.

No one has said that sky Q boxes are SCR capable. I understand they are just wideband receivers 290 to 2340MHz.

winston_1 wrote: »
      No one has said that sky Q boxes are SCR capable. I understand they are just wideband receivers 290 to 2340MHz.

Not only are the SkyQ boxes SCR compatible but I believe so are the Sky DRX 595/895 boxes with SCR enabled in the installers menu.

Also I believe the new boxes use Sky's own unique 16 SCR user-band frequencies while the older Sky boxes use the EN50607 and EN50494 CENELEC-standard, have a look at the UB info on the pic of the multiswitch I posted here.

Also this from Sky's communal FAQ's
      What is a Sky Q ready upgrade?

A Sky Q ready upgrade is an enhancement to your existing communal system where a Digital Single Cable Router switch (containing Ethan–Ready* technology) is fitted at the head-end allowing anyone that wants Sky Q to be connected.

Also have a read through the manual for the dSCR multiswitch - http://www.johansson.be/download.php?lang=en&id=654

Wideband frequency range was probably cheaper to implement for up to 12 tuners in the domestic situation than the cost of SCR switches/LNBs as lots of subscribers already have twin cables for Sky+ (at the expense of not being able to diplex the terrestrial channels on the same cable). In multi dwelling units single cable feeds are probably more common and easier to change the distribution unit/switch than run extra cabling to each unit. Lots of redundancy built into the dSCR switches, 16 UBs per output, with 12 currently required for the SkyQ silver box and 8 for the basic SkyQ box.

galtee boy wrote: »
      Can we take it that on Tuesday, all will be revealed by Sky,as in official ROI prices and packages and confirmation as to how they will resolve the lnb issue ?

It might take a few days after that for all scenarios to be explored but all the pricing and the policy on LNBs is out there.

If you order SkyQ your LNB is being replaced with a wideband one and your current freesat setup is going to stop working. You'll either have to change out the LNB yourself which you're perfectly entitled to do at your own expense or swap your freesat equipment for SkyQ kit.

That might change after Tuesday if enough people ask but I'd suggest doing it in the Talk To forum so it can get fed back ASAP.

Some further comment on the Hybrid LNB - http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/People-with-freesat/td-p/2416130/page/4
      Re: Current Sky+HD better than Sky Q
      sceptic101 on ‎08-02-2016 09:40 AM

Reading the People with Freesat topic it looks like this hybrid LNB will be able to support Sky Q and 2 dual input boxes like a Sky+HD, so there does not seem any technical restriction blocking this now either...

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Current-Sky-HD-better-than-Sky-Q/m-p/2418268#M2580

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

I received my invitation this morning by email :

€99 for the Sky Q silver (up-front cost)

€99 for an additional mini Q (up-front cost)

€50 for installation charge (up-front cost)

- - - - -

A new viewing card will be posted to me

My monthly subscription costs will REDUCE by €42 even though I'm keeping all channels + services

Advertisement