Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Notice on the CAI trade site, lack of detailed technical information causing some confusion for installers of shared dish installations.
    Sky Q – some confusion
    17 December 2015

Not wishing to give up its place as the UK’s premiere pay-tv supplier Sky has driven some companies involved in shared antenna systems into a frenzy over its new Sky Q product. A number of system installing members are calling the CAI office for advice on what they should be planning for following enquiries by some housing agents wanting to prepare for the future. The CAI has written to Sky but have yet to receive any formal statement about the new box and the necessary technical specification to make it work in an IRS situation. The CAI has been passed some mischievous letters being circulated to the housing industry containing some very random type statements plumping out their content. With no concrete technical information they are merely aimed to try and make housing decision-makers and landlords consider putting potential business elsewhere. What we do know is that the product is merely at trial and pilot stages as system upgrading will be required and those requirements are being evaluated. For now the CAI member can only install systems to current requirements until such times as marketeers make way for a formal technical statement. The Sky statement will be published as soon as it is available.

http://www.cai.org.uk/information/cai-news/889-sky-q-some-confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Hi folks a quick question.i have a sky + hd box that's about 3 or 4 yrs old. I stopped sky about that long ago and I'm using a free to air box off the sat dish. Any ways I plugged in the box last night and took out the old card and it's only giving me the BBC channels as free view and when I go to the channel 4 channels it's asking for me to insert my card but no point in doing that as service in stopped .. Any ideas. Would it be worth my while getting the free uk sat cardi saw a guy selling them on adverts for 4 yo yos....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    Hi folks a quick question.i have a sky + hd box that's about 3 or 4 yrs old. I stopped sky about that long ago and I'm using a free to air box off the sat dish. Any ways I plugged in the box last night and took out the old card and it's only giving me the BBC channels as free view and when I go to the channel 4 channels it's asking for me to insert my card but no point in doing that as service in stopped .. Any ideas. Would it be worth my while getting the free uk sat cardi saw a guy selling them on adverts for 4 yo yos....

Channel 4 is free to air. Something else is wrong. A card won't help. Try adding it in other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Do you have RTE 1 at number 101? The C4 channels on the Irish EPG are encrypted so that would explain why you are asked for a card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

the days of getting a UK sky Card are over

As a Humax Freesat Freetime gives all you need

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

ftakeith wrote: »
    the days of getting a UK sky Card are over

As a Humax Freesat Freetime gives all you need

Yea if you're willing to lash out 300 odd yoyo's for the privilege. My magic card for a tenner does me fine.

jca wrote: »
    Yea if you're willing to lash out 300 odd yoyo's for the privilege. My magic card for a tenner does me fine.

yes I can record with no hassle legally

yes I can record with no hassle legally

So can I. Sorry, I paid 50 for the card not a tenner. I'll take my chances. P. S. Is using a Humax outside the UK legal? What post code did you put in, eircode?

jca wrote: »
    So can I. Sorry, I paid 50 for the card not a tenner. I'll take my chances. P. S. Is using a Humax outside the UK legal? What post code did you put in, eircode?

M60 ORA , manchester postcode on 2 freesat freetime boxes

I can use the ITV player, youtube players fine but not the 'all4', bbc I-player and demand5

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nothing wrong with using a Freesat box outside the UK as long as you can pick up a signal.

However it is illegal to buy or sell a Sky digital viewing card, so lets have no more discussion of that

Also I count 8 posts since anything to do with SkyQ was mentioned, so back on topic please.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with using a Freesat box outside the UK as long as you can pick up a signal.

However it is illegal to buy or sell a Sky digital viewing card, so lets have no more discussion of that

Also I count 8 posts since anything to do with SkyQ was mentioned, so back on topic please.

I might just Sky Q so I can neatly put it underneath my humax freesat freetime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I might just Sky Q so I can neatly put it underneath my humax freesat freetime

Will it fit with the NowTV box, Sky hub and all the other kit you have from them?

You must be on JD Buckley's speed dial by now.

Circumventing geoblocking not get a mention or does freetime work here now?

He hasn't mentioned any methods of circumventing geoblocking. Take a warning for ignoring moderator instructions and on thread questioning of moderation.

If this thread doesn't return to the topic of SkyQ in a meanful way then I will close it until the launch

He hasn't mentioned any methods of circumventing geoblocking. Take a warning for ignoring moderator instructions and on thread questioning of moderation.

If this thread doesn't return to the topic of SkyQ in a meanful way then I will close it until the launch

Back on the Sky Q topic

Sky Q will make my TV devices more neatly in my main TV room

I have 300 films legally purchased from 'Sky Store buy and keep', Sky send me the film dvd after I purchase from my Sky TV box.

I don't even keep the DVD as I give it away to family/friends/work colleagues

With Sky Q, I could bring the Sky Q box anywhere and connect it to any TV and watch content

Outside of the UK/Ireland, if I download the films to my sky box, I can watch the films
    I downloaded some films to the sky store app on my laptop so I watched the films on a german trip
    It should work the same on a sky Q box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Back on the Sky Q topic

I have 300 films legally purchased from 'Sky Store buy and keep', Sky send me the film dvd after I purchase from my Sky TV box.

With Sky Q, I could bring the Sky Q box anywhere and connect it to any TV and watch content

Outside of the UK/Ireland, if I download the films to my sky box, I can watch the films
    I downloaded some films to the sky store app on my laptop so I watched the films on a german trip

Will it not check it has a sat feed to somehow authorise the content?

(Genuine question - I know I've given you a bit of a ribbing lately.)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm pretty certain that giving away the DVD invalidates the "legally" bit of the download version in this scenario.

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain that giving away the DVD invalidates the "legally" bit of the download version in this scenario.

Nothing illegal

I can give away the DVD of any film I purchased from sky store buy/keep

I have digital versions through my sky box in HD

I also have digital versions online through the sky store app in SD and in HD

Sky Q will make the viewing of my purchased films much better.

I can bring my Sky Q box from my main tv room to another room at home or beyond while others could watch freesat/saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Back on the Sky Q topic

I'm just amazed that people pay Sky's exorbitant Sky Store prices in this day and age.
    You have over 300, they must love you in Sky.:D
    Also, don't see the point of having a digital version and then sending you a DVD. Defeats the purpose in my opinion.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'm just amazed that people pay Sky's exorbitant Sky Store prices in this day and age.
    You have over 300, they must love you in Sky.:D
    Also, don't see the point of having a digital version and then sending you a DVD. Defeats the purpose in my opinion.

for about 250 of the films I got them between 7.99euros to 9.99euros

At least my home does not have dusty DVDs around my home and I am not a storage hoarder of DVDs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nothing illegal

I can give away the DVD of any film I purchased from sky store buy/keep

Where in the T&Cs does it say this?

My understanding is that the Sky box version is effectively the same as the Ultraviolet 'copy' with a Bluray - you lose all rights to it if you sell or give away the DVD.

If you haven't read the T&Cs and are just assuming this I suggest you do read them - urgently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

At least my home does not have dusty DVDs around my home and I am not a storage hoarder of DVDs

assuming you arent storing all of these on the sky box? or are you deleting them once watched?

L1011 wrote: »
    Where in the T&Cs does it say this?

My understanding is that the Sky box version is effectively the same as the Ultraviolet 'copy' with a Bluray - you lose all rights to it if you sell or give away the DVD.

If you haven't read the T&Cs and are just assuming this I suggest you do read them - urgently.

I don't lose any legal rights

After I watch the films on my sky box, I archive the films

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Who's gonna come after him for giving away the DVD? The boogie man?

For christ sake get a grip.

Who's gonna come after him for giving away the DVD? The boogie man?

For christ sake get a grip.

Its more likely the Gardai will arrest thousands of people here for downloading illegally US TV shows and the latest films online

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I thought you were a Free to air maniac, one minute complaining about skys high prices and how good all your freesat stuff is.
    Now suddenly you want all the new sky products that they offer, spending thousands of euro on DVDs from them that you'll only watch once!
    Sky must love you.

snaps wrote: »
    I thought you were a Free to air maniac, one minute complaining about skys high prices and how good all your freesat stuff is.
    Now suddenly you want all the new sky products that they offer, spending thousands of euro on DVDs from them that you'll only watch once!
    Sky must love you.

I actually watch the films many times

OK, can we leave this line of discussion now please.

That's twice this thread has been derailed now.

Next time it happens, the thread will be closed until the launch date of SkyQ and the person responsible will be banned.

Ftakeith you are being specifically warned, another off topic, tenuously connected or trolling post and you will be banned and it will be for longer than 48 hours this time.

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/sky-q-to-bring-even-more-entertainment-to-the-big-screen

more Sky Q content added

Sky Q maybe a combined Sky Fibre Broadband/Sky TV price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

http://advanced-television.com/2016/01/25/skyq-to-be-priced-this-week/
    Sky will unveil its pricing structure for its new SkyQ Ultra-HD set-top box during its latest quarter’s results announcements on January 29th.

Analyst reports suggest the new ‘all in’ pricing model will start above the current £90 per month for Sky’s all-embracing top-level sports & movies bundles.

Advertisement