Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aldi Planning in Dunshaughlin

• 18-11-2015 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Surely this time it will get the go ahead. Super Value needs competition. They've had a near 30 year monopoly at this stage. As usual they'll have all the local lobbying groups wrapped around their finger working hard to object on their behalf.

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/RA151231/0

Should planning be granted ? 17 votes

Grant planning permission
    0% 0 votes
    Reject planning permission
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I vaguely remember a few years ago a plan to build a super market down the other end of the village and sure enough Supervalue and other groups put an objection agents this.

This time i think it will go ahead, it has to..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Some choice is desperately needed, the village is loosing out massively to Ashbourne and Blanch IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

That Supervalu is a bit of a dump. Badly needs competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

bladespin wrote: »
    Some choice is desperately needed, the village is loosing out massively to Ashbourne and Blanch IMO.

It's even creating an imbalance in the village itself. All the commercial life seems to be stuck down the Tara News to Super Value channel. It's causing traffic management issues on the junction in front of the old courthouse. The main street itself has to be hovering around the 40% occupancy rate which doesn't look good for anyone passing through.

I'll be really pissed off if this gets rejected yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

Any idea where it is planning to be? Application says Lahore road but can't figure out exactly where.

Edit: found it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Really really hope this goes through. It is def badly needed in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Heartily agree with all of the above...choice of supermarket in Dunshaughlin is much more important than the choice of about six hair shops that we have!

Just wondering, any news on this front, good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

CUCINA wrote: »
    Just wondering, any news on this front, good or bad?

I think the decision is due on the 19th

tara83 wrote: »
    I think the decision is due on the 19th

Surely they already know the decision. ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Anyone hear anymore on this? I had a look at the application in the link there, and it now says More information requested. Wonder what that means?

andreac wrote: »
    Anyone hear anymore on this? I had a look at the application in the link there, and it now says More information requested. Wonder what that means?

They received 4 formal objections to the planning application. One being made by a planning consultancy company based in Dublin 2. I wont say who I think this one has been paid by because everyone should be able to figure it out.

The 4 objections can be read in the above link posted.

Aldi has now been requested further information in regards to the issues raised by the objections...... I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Surely you wouldn't want one of these monstrosities in the middle of the village? Clonee was runined by the decision to allow both Aldi & Lidl put their plastic blocks in the middle of the village - hopefully the same won't happen Dunhsuaghlin.

Stick it out of town

Surely you wouldn't want one of these monstrosities in the middle of the village? Clonee was runined by the decision to allow both Aldi & Lidl put their plastic blocks in the middle of the village - hopefully the same won't happen Dunhsuaghlin.

Stick it out of town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Coat22 wrote: »

Stick it out of town
    Can you elaborate and quantify on how Clonee was "ruined" please?

Stick it out of town

Please remind me this.....where is SuperValu? Or Madden's? Or Lawless hardware?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Can you elaborate and quantify on how Clonee was "ruined" please?

Ok....

A long time ago (well before c. 1995) Clonee was a small village in Co. Meath, part of the parish of Dunboyne and Kilbride. It had a post office, a smll shop (the Bus shop it was called), 4 great pubs and one of the country's best pitch and putt clubs along with 2 garages and numerous stud farms. My own father hailed from there.

Then the owners of Littlepace stud sold vast swathes of it to developers, who were magically allowed develop the green belt between Clonee and Mulhuddart into a massive housing estate. At this point all was not lost, Clonee was relatively unscathed as the development was on the Dublin side of the village.

Soon after though the bus shop, and several of the houses opposite the Grass Hopper were acquired, knocked down and replaced by building twice the size which were completely out of character with those surrounfing them. Once this had been done on one side of the road then the other became fair game and several more houses were acquired, demolished and replaced by 3 story apartment blocks and more retail units. There being no need for so many retail units, these quickly became take aways and bookies shops.

Then Lidl was amazingly given planning permission for a "supermarket" bang smack at the entrance to the village from the northern side, completely dominating the skyscape in the village and attracting huge volumes of traffic, At the same time 2 of the pubs (including the Mill House, one of the finest pubs in the locality) were allowed be closed down to move the licence elsewhere and redevelop the land for more housing. An Apartment block was built on a postage stamp beside the tennis club in which the apartments were actually too small to be sold as such.

Then to top it all off Aldi were given PP to erect another monstrosity at the southern end of the village to draw in more traffic from Littlepace. Onrgar stud and Summerseat studs were sold for more housing and the entire place became a maze of poorly planned housing and a perfectly good village was ruined.

You may like Clonee now. Sure it has an Aldi, a Lidl a couple of Indian take aways and a Ladbrokes - what more could a man want. But actually a great little village once stood there (no more than 20 years ago) and was cast aside to allow over spill from Dublin rather than addressing the issue in the capital itself.

That's how it was "ruined"

Galego wrote: »
    Please remind me this.....where is SuperValu? Or Madden's? Or Lawless hardware?

You really compare a faceless Lidl or Aldi to any of these?

All you really want is cheap groceries, you don't really care about what it does to the town itself

You may like Clonee now. Sure it has an Aldi, a Lidl a couple of Indian take aways and a Ladbrokes - what more could a man want. But actually a great little village once stood there (no more than 20 years ago) and was cast aside to allow over spill from Dublin rather than addressing the issue in the capital itself.

That's pretty much what the county development plan was tbh.

The same can be said of just about every other town/village in Meath (of all sizes).

That's pretty much what the county development plan was tbh.

The same can be said of just about every other town/village in Meath (of all sizes).

Not necessarily - Dunboyne has doubled or trebled in size in the same time but the village remains (for the most part) still a village (with the notable exception of the Eurospar building which somehow got planning permission). Summerhill likewise.

Ratoath has changed hugely but the "centre" of the village is still the same as it was, the pubs remain, the shops remain etc.

What happened in Clonee was one of the disgraces of the Celtic Tiger. Meath Co. Council seemed to abandon all sense of responsibility for the place and left it to developers.

• Advertisement

Anywhere with a booming population will need shops to satisfy demand. Dunboyne has changed massively from what I remember too.

Anywhere with a booming population will need shops to satisfy demand. Dunboyne has changed massively from what I remember too.

Agreed but these "discount" supermarket buildings are a "one size fits all" approach which look absolutely terrible when lumped in the middle of a village.

By all means let them build, but stick them out of town.

Dunboyne village is has not changed much in 30 years or so, Yourells small shop being replaced by the Eurospar monstrosity ebing the exception.
    There has been huge development on the outskirts of the village but the centre itself if much the same as it always was thankfully.

Agreed but these "discount" supermarket buildings are a "one size fits all" approach which look absolutely terrible when lumped in the middle of a village.

By all means let them build, but stick them out of town.

Dunboyne village is has not changed much in 30 years or so, Yourells small shop being replaced by the Eurospar monstrosity ebing the exception.
    There has been huge development on the outskirts of the village but the centre itself if much the same as it always was thankfully.

Sticking them out of town isn't really much good to someone 'in town' but yes I get your point.

As for Dunboyne,I guess you're talking about the little area around the green and not from the business park beside the M3 to the schools, as the rest of the village has changed drastically, even then, the bank and garage have changed a lot over the years, there is a point at which progress has to be acceptable.

You really compare a faceless Lidl or Aldi to any of these?

All you really want is cheap groceries, you don't really care about what it does to the town itself

I actually don't shop that often in either of them but the main street is pretty much dead at the moment so any news about a supermarket (or any medium size business) opening is welcome in my eyes. It can only be positive and the rest of the shops in the main Street would benefit from it which may mean few others opening up too.

Also, Dunshaughlin is far from being a village with almost 4-5,000 living in it. Like it or not, it is a commuter town. Myself, I do come from village though. 120 habitants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ok....

A long time ago (well before c. 1995) Clonee was a small village in Co. Meath, part of the parish of Dunboyne and Kilbride. It had a post office, a smll shop (the Bus shop it was called), 4 great pubs and one of the country's best pitch and putt clubs along with 2 garages and numerous stud farms. My own father hailed from there.

Then the owners of Littlepace stud sold vast swathes of it to developers, who were magically allowed develop the green belt between Clonee and Mulhuddart into a massive housing estate. At this point all was not lost, Clonee was relatively unscathed as the development was on the Dublin side of the village.

Soon after though the bus shop, and several of the houses opposite the Grass Hopper were acquired, knocked down and replaced by building twice the size which were completely out of character with those surrounfing them. Once this had been done on one side of the road then the other became fair game and several more houses were acquired, demolished and replaced by 3 story apartment blocks and more retail units. There being no need for so many retail units, these quickly became take aways and bookies shops.

Then Lidl was amazingly given planning permission for a "supermarket" bang smack at the entrance to the village from the northern side, completely dominating the skyscape in the village and attracting huge volumes of traffic, At the same time 2 of the pubs (including the Mill House, one of the finest pubs in the locality) were allowed be closed down to move the licence elsewhere and redevelop the land for more housing. An Apartment block was built on a postage stamp beside the tennis club in which the apartments were actually too small to be sold as such.

Then to top it all off Aldi were given PP to erect another monstrosity at the southern end of the village to draw in more traffic from Littlepace. Onrgar stud and Summerseat studs were sold for more housing and the entire place became a maze of poorly planned housing and a perfectly good village was ruined.

Thats a fair rose tinted version of events about the state of Clonee.
    Its a village that the boom of the 2000s completely overlooked & then feel into a hole when the recession kicked in.
    The pubs closed for the same reason as many rural pubs in villages across Ireland.
    If it wasn't for Lidl and Aldi in Clonee right now & the creche to go with it, the place would be an absolute ghost town & even more of a visual eye sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭maik3n

Bamburys Bookmakers have now closed up shop too, so the main street still has quite a few empty units.

Also, I wouldn't really consider the proposed location of the aldi store as in the MIDDLE of the village.
    Well, unless Maddens plan on providing some pedestrian access from their end?

While Supervalu have always been very good from a community standpoint, hosting the Harvest Festival, sponsoring events, sports clubs and the like, a suitable competitor would be a great addition to the village IMHO. :D

ongarite wrote: »
    Thats a fair rose tinted version of events about the state of Clonee.
    Its a village that the boom of the 2000s completely overlooked & then feel into a hole when the recession kicked in.
    The pubs closed for the same reason as many rural pubs in villages across Ireland.
    If it wasn't for Lidl and Aldi in Clonee right now & the creche to go with it, the place would be an absolute ghost town & even more of a visual eye sore.

So you admit yourself its a visual eyesore.
    It maybe rose tinted but its the actual facts of what happened in Clonee.
    There's non way you can compare the pubs closing in Clonee with pubs closing in some village in the west with 25 pubs. They were closed to redevelop the sites as housing (in the case of the Mill House but the recession killed that plan) and move the licences elsewhere.

Seems to be two threads in one here now, but getting back to the original...decision time soon on whether Aldi gets permission to go ahead with the unit in Dunshaughlin. Here's hoping that they do. But I suspect that one or two decision-makers might have the same mindset as one or two influential objectors.
    Has anyone heard anything through the grapevine?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

If you go the the link I put up in the opening post and click on the View Scanned documents you can see they have now submitted detail drawings of where exactly the Unit will be located along with all the park etc. The drawings show that unit will not be an eye sore from the main street. In fact if you are standing outside the nearby Lawlesses yard and looking up and down the street chances are you wont see it. Also the department of arts heritage and gaeltact has come back green lighting the application on the basis of it posing no threat to wildlife in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

If you go the the link I put up in the opening post and click on the View Scanned documents you can see they have now submitted detail drawings of where exactly the Unit will be located along with all the park etc. The drawings show that unit will not be an eye sore from the main street. In fact if you are standing outside the nearby Lawlesses yard and looking up and down the street chances are you wont see it. Also the department of arts heritage and gaeltact has come back green lighting the application on the basis of it posing no threat to wildlife in the area.

Hope it goes ahead. However I see it creating a parking issue for the commuters who currently park along the road there.

Advertisement