Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aldi Planning in Dunshaughlin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

If you go the the link I put up in the opening post and click on the View Scanned documents you can see they have now submitted detail drawings of where exactly the Unit will be located along with all the park etc. The drawings show that unit will not be an eye sore from the main street. In fact if you are standing outside the nearby Lawlesses yard and looking up and down the street chances are you wont see it. Also the department of arts heritage and gaeltact has come back green lighting the application on the basis of it posing no threat to wildlife in the area.

Thank you, Vapor Trails, for that interesting up-date...allowing myself to be a bit more optimistic that it might actually get the go-ahead.
    If the plan is rejected, though, I think I would be disappointed to the extent that it would make me consider picketing outside the main entrance to Supervalue!
    Well, OK, not quite, but I would definitely be inclined to make some form of visible protest. Anyway, fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

CUCINA wrote: »
    Thank you, Vapor Trails, for that interesting up-date...allowing myself to be a bit more optimistic that it might actually get the go-ahead.
    If the plan is rejected, though, I think I would be disappointed to the extent that it would make me consider picketing outside the main entrance to Supervalue!
    Well, OK, not quite, but I would definitely be inclined to make some form of visible protest. Anyway, fingers crossed...

I heard that Maddens put an objections. I actually think Supervalu didnt but I could be wrong on that one.

Anyway fingers crossed it gets the go-ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

If Maddens have elected to object I think they are mistaking. Never mind objecting If were Maddens I would try and merge the two car parks together and turn it into a mini centre for all needs. 95% of the time they will be offering different products and it could be an easy one stop for all items for Dunshaughlin consumers.

Some people just resort to object mode as if its a pre disposed human disposition rather than fully assess the merits and potential of each and every scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭maik3n

It seems strange that Maddens would object, since they are named on the original application (see Application-Application Form1-454 Kb) to Meath CoCo and even gave a written letter of consent.
    Do they not own that land anyways, so why would they object after the fact? :confused::confused:

maik3n wrote: »
    It seems strange that Maddens would object, since they are named on the original application (see Application-Application Form1-454 Kb) to Meath CoCo and even gave a written letter of consent.
    Do they not own that land anyways, so why would they object after the fact? :confused::confused:

I heard it from one of the locals in Lawless. Maybe he got it wrong and meant to say SuperValu which would make more sense to the case.

A question for everyone. When it says further information requested......what could this be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Just a couple of other bits of information. There is a 7 page objection made by a firm called MacCabe Durney Barnes on behalf of clients called Express Check out Dunshaughlin. The details on who Expres Check Out Dunshaughlin are can be found here:

http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Express-Check-Out-Dunshaughlin-178132

Anyway here is a summary of the Objection document:

Page 1/2: Deals with Environment Impact statements: Objectors are of belief that the size of the proposed development (2 Hectares) requires a Environment impact statement which I dont think was included in the initial planning by Aldi. Also they mention the original zoning of B1 for the area as having a vision including a "Vibrant Mix of uses in the town centre to give a sense of community and identity. The objectors think that allowing one trading entity take up the entire development its not catering for a "Vibrant Mix"

Page 2/3: Cover the Urban Framework plan. Essential the UFP says any new building should have 1. Scale relative to the town. 2. Must have good architecture (I'd have thought this would be very subjective) in the submission they describe proposed Aldi as generic box design 3. Appropriate open space 4. Appropriate mix of uses...Objectors argue that proposed Aldi would have none of the above.

Page 3/4: Tackles the retail strategy for Meath County Council which was compiled by John Spain and associates. In the report they said Dunshaughlin needs another 3,500sqm of convenience store space. IE another shopping along the lines of a Aldi / Lidl etc. In the objectors submission they argue that the report is not accurate and that the submission by Mr Spain should have included Ashbourne and Ratoath under the same catchment....In simple terms there is a heap of shops in Ashbourne and we don't need anymore in Dunshaughlin.

Page 5: I find this one interesting and I learned something new myself. Supermarkets in their planning application have to give an estimated turnover per square meter. Aldi in their submission forecast them as having €8,000 of turnover per square meter. To copy the objectors document word for word "This is at odds with the assumption of €11,000 per square meter provided for in the County Meath Retail strategy. There is no justification for a lower turnover ratio on the basis that it is a discount store as the retail planning guides no longer recognises any difference between conventional retailing and discount retailing"...... If i'm reading this correctly is this a straight out admittance that Aldi are better than Super Valu on price ?

The also say that the 2% population growth in Dunshaughlin predicted by Aldi is wide of the mark.

Page 6/7: Parking / traffic management. They point out the fact that people currently park uncontrolled along the wall beside the proposed development already shows the area is struggling. The say the Aldi unit should provide 114 parking spaces given its size. The planning application only proposes 83. Also they say no road safety audit has been conducted.

So it was SuperValu who objected after all as many here have already expected coming.

Regarding the 2% growth in population........ Would that not be the new houses being and to be built?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Galego wrote: »
    So it was SuperValu who objected after all as many here have already expected coming.

Regarding the 2% growth in population........ Would that not be the new houses being and to be built?

I think it will still go ahead. I am no expert in this area but it seems most of there objection are fairly petty.

Was just going to ask if anyone uses either Aldi or Lidil in Clonee over Supervalue in Dunshauglin?

Wouldn't agree that they've ruined Clonee as they are at opposite ends of the village, and the car dealership beside Lidil is more of an eyesore.
    The Supervalue in Dunshaughlin is also a bit of an eyesore.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Was just going to ask if anyone uses either Aldi or Lidil in Clonee over Supervalue in Dunshauglin?

Wouldn't agree that they've ruined Clonee as they are at opposite ends of the village, and the car dealership beside Lidil is more of an eyesore.
    The Supervalue in Dunshaughlin is also a bit of an eyesore.

I have to admit I don't use them much and most of my shopping is done in SuperValu Dunshaughlin. I also don't intend to radically change my shopping habbits once Aldi is open. Still I welcome ANY new business to the Village and will give it a go. Aldi does stuff which I like which SuperValu doesn't have so why not they could both do well in Dunshaughlin!?

• Advertisement

I would agree with above. I would view Aldi Dunshaughlin as a concurrent alternative to Supervalue, not as a replacement. And Vapor Trails suggestion that Maddens should integrate their car-park with Aldi's would also seem to be the way to go.
    The proposed location for Aldi would also definitely act as something of a counter-balance to offset the domination of commercial premises on the west side of the town. Makes it a handy stroll for residents west side, like Maelduin, Coldrick's Pass, and now Kellets Grove, and other near-by estates.
    Let's hope we have a victory for local democracy rather than for local petty self-interest!

Super Valu are getting some work done now themselves.

Decision has been made and given a green light.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/RA151310/0

Perhaps this might have some bearing on the Aldi decision :confused:

In other news, we might be getting an applegreen store/service station.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/RA160148/0

Why is there not a deadline now in the Aldi appliaction?

Can this be open for ever? :-)

Apparently, the deadline for the Aldi decision is 17th July, so it could be a long wait.

A bit galling in the circumstances to see the Supervalue application done and dusted, but maybe we should keep our powder dry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Great News! :)

Super Valu are getting some work done now themselves.

Decision has been made and given a green light.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/RA151310/0

Perhaps this might have some bearing on the Aldi decision :confused:

In other news, we might be getting an applegreen store/service station.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/RA160148/0

The apple green looks like some serious service station!!! 1400sq Meters, ground and first floor with shop area, 4 restaurants/ coffees (one drive in), pinic area, loads or parking, etc......

It seems like Apple green application has been granted planning under conditional. Description decision:

"the development will consist of an Off-line Motorway Service Area (MSA) comprising the creation of a new vehicular entrance to the site from the R125; provision of a 4 no. pump island car/van forecourt with canopy over (maximum height of c.5.8m) and a 1 no. pump island HGV forecourt with canopy over (maximum height of c.6.3m) together with underground fuel storage tanks and ancillary pipe works; an amenity building (1,400sqm total gross floor area) with mezzanine level (maximum height of building c.8.4m) and including a convenience store with off-licence (total 100sqm net sales area), 4 no. food offer cafes/restaurants (including 1 no. restaurant with drive thru facility) with communal seating area; w.c. facilities; ancillary food preparation, storage, management office areas; external picnic and play areas; parking for 158 no. cars, 14 no. HGV's, 7 no. coaches; 3 no. illuminated totem signs (two of which are c.14m and one c.20m in height); signage on the services building and canopy (illuminated and non-illuminated); raising of the central portion of the site by approximately 0.75 to 1.5m and grading to existing site levels; culverting of approximately 184m of a tributary of the Skane River; and all other ancillary site development, landscaping, lighting and boundary works."

Any news about Aldi?

Status now under PUBLICATION REQUIRED after Aldi has submitted the further information!

They are almost there!!!

Seems to be going in the right direction...but what does "PUBLICATION REQUIRED" mean?
    Anyway, as before, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'm going to hazard a guess that when planning is eventually granted it will be appealed to An Bord Pleanala. Similar to Aldi in Trim. Just a guess mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'm going to hazard a guess that when planning is eventually granted it will be appealed to An Bord Pleanala. Similar to Aldi in Trim. Just a guess mind.

ABP seems to be one of the biggest jokes going, 'questionable decisions' is an understatement and they wonder why people suggest the brown envelope culture is still around.

CUCINA wrote: »
    Seems to be going in the right direction...but what does "PUBLICATION REQUIRED" mean?
    Anyway, as before, fingers crossed.

It means that Aldi has made significant changes to their original application and therefore they need to publish a notice in the local newspaper, site notice, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Where exactly is the new Applegreen going?

Edit: Nvm, found the map!

Decision has now been made. :-)

It appears as granted with 28 conditions.

Appeal now coming?

By the way, apple green decision was appealed by Topaz.

Following on from a query I made to Regina Doherty, she has replied that planning permission was granted this morning to Aldi for the store in Dunshaughlin. Good news indeed.
    By the way, I have to say I am very impressed with the prompt and efficient replies from Regina's office in relation to this query. Ten out of ten!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Great news!! Wonder when it will be open now. How long would it usually take from permission being granted to opening?

andreac wrote: »
    Great news!! Wonder when it will be open now. How long would it usually take from permission being granted to opening?

Will depend on whether or not the decision gets appealled, which it is likely to be.

It was expected of course and there is no guarantee it will be upheld but it's still another delay. :(

http://www.facebook.com/dunsalert/posts/367063200084666

• Advertisement

It was expected of course and there is no guarantee it will be upheld but it's still another delay. :(

http://www.facebook.com/dunsalert/posts/367063200084666

So the trail of red tape continues, next decision-stop is November, according to the article in this week's "Meath Chronicle".
    The ALDI head honchos in Germany must be raising their eyes to Heaven wondering what sort of little insular island this is in trying to get a job-creating enterprise moving.
    The longer this drags on, the more I dislike (polite word!) Supervalue...
    "Supervalue" ...what a misnomer.

Advertisement