Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't want to stay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Better have them see what religion is about now, than have them discover religion for themselves for the first time when they leave home.

I do totally agree with this and always planned to introduce him to religion, but all of the major ones, and not as fact. Which is what we still are doing, but in the meantime he is being told elsewhere that Catholicism is fact....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    You actually think if people had to start acting Catholic (attending mass, adhering to Catholic doctrine, believing in transubstantiation, virgin births and stuff, rather than wearing ashes) that it would remain at 80%? I think that if Catholic people had to actually believe and practice, they'd be lucky to get 30%.
    But why would you want to see others forcedinto doing anything Kiwi?
    I think you feel that unless people adhere to the tenets of the religion they've labelled themselves with that they should be prevented by law from referring to themselves as Catholic Muslim Jewish, whatever
    This would then, according to you, swing the upper hand in favour of religion-free people
    Who do you feel should supervise the devotion of people who class themselves as religious?
    Every time I go to mas or confession should I have to clock in and out?
    You fell in love with an Irish person and made a massive life desicion to bring your little child to live in rural Ireland in the bosom of the Irish extended paternal family who were sucked out of hundreds of years of Catholicsm and you somehow thought that they would give all that up so as not to offend your sensibilities. Why would they do that?
    You and your OH seemed to have decided at some stage to settle in the area in which you live without considering that your child would need to start school before age 6
    The school is a Catholic school. It's always been a Catholic school. Is there a mass movement by local parents to change that? No? Well why should they all change to accommodate you?
    If your OH misled you about Irish culture then that's an issue for the 2 of you, it's not for a whole community to overhaul itself to accommodate newcomers. That's not how the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

I don't want him being taught about totally insane concepts like transubstantiation, saints with 'stigmatas', relics, moving statues, holy healing tourism hotspots etc. To me this stuff belongs back with age of 'witch' trials.

Where in Ireland are you located? Are you saying that this stuff you specifically mentioned has been taught in your child's school or do you expect it to be taught in the school?

Or did you just brainstorm as many hair brained beliefs etc and include them in your list.

My children have all gone through catholic school in a medium sized town in Ireland and I was always very close to what they did (in all subjects). I didn't have an obsession with one subject. I can safely say that this list of stuff was not covered in 4 different schools that they attended.

I would be really really interested in knowing the area where you have knowledge of or strongly suspect that the isues highlighted above are taught in school.

Regarding what you do, I really believe that you should think of the longer term for you and your husband and Little Kiwi. Where would ye be happiest generally, where would be best jobs wise and financially, standard of living etc. Perhaps a move to a more urban location within Ireland, not necessarily Dublin as it's very expensive. A biggish town maybe. Also, I would totally ignore the "Great aunts and uncles". My uncle lashed out at me over something related to this and I completely ignored him as it was none of his business. You have your opinions, and if you decide to stay around, develop a thivk skin for a few years. As others have said there are a lot of other priorities in secondary school.

Best of luck in your decision.

But why would you want to see others forcedinto doing anything Kiwi?
    I think you feel that unless people adhere to the tenets of the religion they've labelled themselves with that they should be prevented by law from referring to themselves as Catholic Muslim Jewish, whatever
    This would then, according to you, swing the upper hand in favour of religion-free people
    Who do you feel should supervise the devotion of people who class themselves as religious?
    Every time I go to mas or confession should I have to clock in and out?
    You fell in love with an Irish person and made a massive life desicion to bring your little child to live in rural Ireland in the bosom of the Irish extended paternal family who were sucked out of hundreds of years of Catholicsm and you somehow thought that they would give all that up so as not to offend your sensibilities. Why would they do that?
    You and your OH seemed to have decided at some stage to settle in the area in which you live without considering that your child would need to start school before age 6
    The school is a Catholic school. It's always been a Catholic school. Is there a mass movement by local parents to change that? No? Well why should they all change to accommodate you?
    If your OH misled you about Irish culture then that's an issue for the 2 of you, it's not for a whole community to overhaul itself to accommodate newcomers. That's not how the world works.

I'm not asking anyone to change, I'm asking them not to impose it on my family. They can do what they like in private, I only have an issue when it impacts on my life. I don't see any good reason why other people's religion should intrude into my life. In secular countries religion does not impact on anyone's life apart from those who want it to. Constitutionally Ireland is a supposedly secular country. My experience is that it is not. The point I was making is if the RCC decided tomorrow that everyone who wants to get matched/hatched/communioned/confirmed/dispatched in their church had to be practicing properly and living by Catholic doctrine, the percentage of Catholics would drop dramatically. If most people who call themselves Catholic don't really think that Catholic doctrine is important enough for them to want to follow, why are state schools teaching children that this is the correct way to live?

I'm glad you resurrected (no pun intended) that post by the way, I had accidentally deleted it when I was trying to edit while not concentrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Actually the debt has decreased over the last few years while it is important to have sustainable debt levels ruling out taxation altogether is not the best approach to tackling the problems in society. The Church could contribute more to the gvt.

We appear to have the second highest debt per capita of any country. It does appear to have dropped slightly but the trend seems to be back upwards.

You get taxed on your income (fair enough), from what's left you are taxed another 23% anytime you spend any of it - wtf?

If you are foolish and lucky enough to be able to put aside any you are taxed at 41%. DIRT is such an appropriate name.

If you take out health insurance, there's an enormous great tax on that called a levy.

Want to insure the roof over your head - there's a massive levy on that too.

Want to own and operate a car - ha ha ha ha - bend over and touch your toes, sunshine.

You have to insure that car of course - you know the routine by now, there's a levy for that.

Wan't to put petrol in it do you? haven't you heard you personally need to save the planet so just open your wallet; what do mean 'how is that going to help?' just hand it over and be quick about it and don't ask impertinent questions.

Want to import a car from the UK do you? Now we're talking. You'll need to take out a second mortgage for this one. What do mean it's supposed to be a common market? Nice try, ha ha - cough up.

Oh you've had enough, have you? Sorry, you can't get away from us by dying, you ungrateful sneak. In the interests of compassion I would warn you that all that have gone before are going to look like pocket change, but YOU wont feel a thing, now will you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

cnocbui wrote: »
    We appear to have the second highest debt per capita of any country. It does appear to have dropped slightly but the trend seems to be back upwards.

You get taxed on your income (fair enough), from what's left you are taxed another 23% anytime you spend any of it - wtf?

If you are foolish and lucky enough to be able to put aside any you are taxed at 41%. DIRT is such an appropriate name.

If you take out health insurance, there's an enormous great tax on that called a levy.

Want to insure the roof over your head - there's a massive levy on that too.

Want to own and operate a car - ha ha ha ha - bend over and touch your toes, sunshine.

You have to insure that car of course - you know the routine by now, there's a levy for that.

Wan't to put petrol in it do you? haven't you heard you personally need to save the planet so just open your wallet; what do mean 'how is that going to help?' just hand it over and be quick about it and don't ask impertinent questions.

Want to import a car from the UK do you? Now we're talking. You'll need to take out a second mortgage for this one. What do mean it's supposed to be a common market? Nice try, ha ha - cough up.

Oh you've had enough, have you? Sorry, you can't get away from us by dying, you ungrateful sneak. In the interests of compassion I would warn you that all that have gone before are going to look like pocket change, but YOU wont feel a thing, now will you?

There are a lot of said examples of what you can't do. I am merely saying the level of debt has decreased and you can't completely stop taxation just because of election promises. That's no way to build an economy. Politicians will say anything to get elected but lets get real certain taxes are important. The Catholic Church could actually contribute a lot more. Your not saying the church don't have sufficient income.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    There are a lot of said examples of what you can't do. I am merely saying the level of debt has decreased and you can't completely stop taxation just because of election promises. That's no way to build an economy. Politicians will say anything to get elected but lets get real certain taxes are important. The Catholic Church could actually contribute a lot more. Your not saying the church don't have sufficient income.

Oh, if I had the power I would tax the Catholic church out of existence, but Ireland, despite it's cute pretenses to the contrary, is effectively a theocracy, so that isn't going to happen.

I really do empathise with the position the OP is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I moved here from Australia. ...
    One of the motivations I have for leaving is the taxation and government charges issues, which are trending upwards and will continue to do so given the countries unsustainable and ever increasing level of debt.

ireland-government-debt-to-gdp.png?s=irldebt2gdp&v=201601121633m

Debt/GDP ratio for Ireland is now below 100%.

Australia's debt/GDP is much lower (huge country, lots of resources, not that many people to spend it on) but not going in the right direction and the backside has fallen out of the commodities markets.

australia-government-debt-to-gdp.png?s=ausdebt2gdp&v=201601121709m

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

jimd2 wrote: »
    Where in Ireland are you located? Are you saying that this stuff you specifically mentioned has been taught in your child's school or do you expect it to be taught in the school?

Or did you just brainstorm as many hair brained beliefs etc and include them in your list.

I've seen homework for my nephew in primary school in Clare. It was "Write a list of the things you are grateful to god for having." One can only imagine what pernicious **** the teacher was pushing in addition to that bull****. On the other hand, I have two friends who teach in primary schools and spend no time on religion. If forced to they read a few passages from the bible once a term that are of historical interest. It really is the luck of the draw, but there's no point in pretending that a substantial portion of Irish schools are run by true believer.

I'm not asking anyone to change, I'm asking them not to impose it on my family. They can do what they like in private, I only have an issue when it impacts on my life. I don't see any good reason why other people's religion should intrude into my life. In secular countries religion does not impact on anyone's life apart from those who want it to. Constitutionally Ireland is a supposedly secular country. My experience is that it is not. The point I was making is if the RCC decided tomorrow that everyone who wants to get matched/hatched/communioned/confirmed/dispatched in their church had to be practicing properly and living by Catholic doctrine, the percentage of Catholics would drop dramatically. If most people who call themselves Catholic don't really think that Catholic doctrine is important enough for them to want to follow, why are state schools teaching children that this is the correct way to live?

I'm glad you resurrected (no pun intended) that post by the way, I had accidentally deleted it when I was trying to edit while not concentrating.

You brought your immediate family to live amongst your OHs extended family and you simply must have known that they were religious and that the only realistic choice of school in that area for your child was a school with a religious ethos
    And still you came
    Now it seems to me that as your ideals are not compatible with the ideals of the community that you CHOSE to come and live amongst that you had at least some expectations that somebody was going to make some changes
    And that somebody wasn't going to be kiwi.
    So how did you expect it to pan out?

• Advertisement

You brought your immediate family to live amongst your OHs extended family and you simply must have known that they were religious and that the only realistic choice of school in that area for your child was a school with a religious ethos
    And still you came
    Now it seems to me that as your ideals are not compatible with the ideals of the community that you CHOSE to come and live amongst that you had at least some expectations that somebody was going to make some changes

Thinking you know what a foreign country might be like to live in turns out to be quite different to the actual experience, I have found. If we could just sit in a chair and imagine with perfection what a foreign country would be like to experience we wouldn't have to bother traveling there.

In the 21st century this country should NOT have a religion dominated and run education system when it's constitution pays lip-service to secularism. Teachers should not be selected on the basis of their religious conformity and have that determine their chance of employment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

How in the name of Odin's grey beard would she have known that? Our schooling system is downright bizarre for a modern western democracy. Seriously unbelievably weird. Literally unbelievably as I've described our schooling system to friends in England who flat out refused to believe it, accusing me of exaggeration and hyperbole as it was genuinely inconceivable to them. There I was an Irish parent, living in Ireland describing our school system and they just could not get their heads around it. It was easier to think I was having a flight of fancy than to accept the realities that we live with. On British parenting forums I've been accused of "paddy-whackery" when describing the schooling system and told modern Ireland isn't like that anymore. I've spoken to Irish people who have only ever lived in Ireland who have been floored by how difficult it has been to get a school place for their (first generation non-baptised) children.

Hell, I've been well aware of the realities of it for years but even I came out of a meeting last week about the opening of a new secondary school in our 'feeder area' in shock at just what it means for people in various communities. At how many problems the stupid, stupid system causes for people who have opposing views about preferred patrons. It's just a hot-fuçking-mess, and that's before you get onto the issues of having RC subsidiaries in charge of the publishing of most school text books and the extremely slanted point of view presented in many subjects we ourselves were taught. How Kiwi was supposed to have the first clue that she was moving to educational bizzaroland?

Thinking you know what a foreign country might be like to live in turns out to be quite different to the actual experience, I have found. If we could just sit in a chair and imagine with perfection what a foreign country would be like to experience we wouldn't have to bother traveling there.

In the 21st century this country should NOT have a religion dominated and run education system when it's constitution pays lip-service to secularism. Teachers should not be selected on the basis of their religious conformity and have that determine their chance of employment.

You seem to be saying that prior to your family desicion to move lock stock and barrel to the scene of your OHs childhood, returning as adults to what I presume is the area and the people and the culture he grew up in and was raised in, but that in the discussions about the move, he never mentioned that schools in Ireland are predominately Christian ethos, nor did either of you raise a query with his extended as to the availability of s non-religious school?
    It's such a deal breaker now that your considering going to the other side of the world to get away from it, but prior to relocating here it wasn't a factor?
    And your OH didn't mention that his family were religious and inclined to make religion a major factor in their everyday lives?
    It's hard to believe, tbh

And still you came

Yes of course I knew OH's family were religious, as are lots of people, as are my sisters in laws back in NZ. She doesn't really have to worry about her children being indoctrinated though, because her children's grandparents religious beliefs are not reinforced by the state, that's just what Nana and Grandad believe, their teachers aren't also telling them that it is fact.

I didn't do enough research and I was naive and stupid not to in hindsight. OH had not lived in Ireland since he was 18 and didn't fully realise either. I stupidly assumed that Ireland was religious like England/France are religious. Because of where I come from, I had never viewed religion as anything that is problematic or undesirable in a society, because in a secular country it is not, no matter how many people are religious (see France), because religion is not forced on citizens, is a private business and everyone has freedom of and from religion. Seeing as Ireland is a First World Western country which claims to be constitutionally secular, I stupidly assumed it would be. I did not actually know that every single school out of many within the manageable vacinity were religious until I went to enroll LK. Yes it's my own fault that I didn't do enough research, but there it is. I knew that there had been problems with sectarianism obviously, so looked up whether Ireland was secular and took that in good faith. I take responsibility for not researching the school system properly, but there is certainly an element of false advertising as well!

As for the general tone of your post, read the OP again. Am I asking Ireland to change, or am I saying that after giving it a good go, I've realised that I don't think it's for me and therefore am likely going to leave?

iguana wrote: »
    How in the name of Odin's grey beard would she have known that? Our schooling system is downright bizarre for a modern western democracy. Seriously unbelievably weird. Literally unbelievably as I've described our schooling system to friends in England who flat out refused to believe it, accusing me of exaggeration and hyperbole as it was genuinely inconceivable to them. There I was an Irish parent, living in Ireland describing our school system and they just could not get their heads around it. It was easier to think I was having a flight of fancy than to accept the realities that we live with. On British parenting forums I've been accused of "paddy-whackery" when describing the schooling system and told modern Ireland isn't like that anymore. I've spoken to Irish people who have only ever lived in Ireland who have been floored by how difficult it has been to get a school place for their (first generation non-baptised) children.

Hell, I've been well aware of the realities of it for years but even I came out of a meeting last week about the opening of a new secondary school in our 'feeder area' in shock at just what it means for people in various communities. At how many problems the stupid, stupid system causes for people who have opposing views about preferred patrons. It's just a hot-fuçking-mess, and that's before you get onto the issues of having RC subsidiaries in charge of the publishing of most school text books and the extremely slanted point of many subjects we ourselves were taught. How Kiwi was supposed to have the first clue that she was moving to educational bizzaroland?

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I've got the impression that the OPs other half is an Itish national who hails from the immediate area and family in which they currently reside?
    If I'm wrong I'll withdraw my post.
    If I'm not wrong the how could they not have known how it was going to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Am I asking Ireland to change, or am I saying that after giving it a good go, I've realised that I don't think it's for me and therefore am likely going to leave?
    Just to clarify, is it the only reason you want to leave? There isn't anything else?

I ask because I've worked secular societies like the US, Aus and NZ and I've met more religious wackos there than I do here nowadays. Irelands religiosity is on the wane whereas it seems to be growing on all those other places in reaction to tensions with emigration.

Plus your hubby went through the system and that didn't stop you marrying him. If you find it objectionable now then why don't you divorce him on a point of principle.

Yes of course I knew OH's family were religious, as are lots of people, as are my sisters in laws back in NZ. She doesn't really have to worry about her children being indoctrinated though, because her children's grandparents religious beliefs are not reinforced by the state, that's just what Nana and Grandad believe, their teachers aren't also telling them that it is fact.

I didn't do enough research and I was naive and stupid not to in hindsight. OH had not lived in Ireland since he was 18 and didn't fully realise either. I stupidly assumed that Ireland was religious like England/France are religious. Because of where I come from, I had never viewed religion as anything that is problematic or undesirable in a society, because in a secular country it is not, no matter how many people are religious (see France), because religion is not forced on citizens, is a private business and everyone has freedom of and from religion. Seeing as Ireland is a First World Western country which claims to be constitutionally secular, I stupidly assumed it would be. I did not actually know that every single school out of many within the manageable vacinity were religious until I went to enroll LK. Yes it's my own fault that I didn't do enough research, but there it is. I knew that there had been problems with sectarianism obviously, so looked up whether Ireland was secular and took that in good faith. I take responsibility for not researching the school system properly, but there is certainly an element of false advertising as well!

As for the general tone of your post, read the OP again. Am I asking Ireland to change, or am I saying that after giving it a good go, I've realised that I don't think it's for me and therefore am likely going to leave?

I hope the tone of my post reflects my utter incredulity
    Your husband lived here, went to school here, played and mixed and fought and loved and was loved by a large extended family, left at 18 and had his memory bank wiped?
    Or just, for some reason, omitted to fill you in on how it would be, before you returned, allowing you to make assumptions which influenced your desicion, which have ultimaley proved to be groundless
    I'm going to leave it here as it's Saturday night, but I wish you well in your next home and hope you will have at least some happy memories of us.

You seem to be saying that prior to your family desicion to move lock stock and barrel to the scene of your OHs childhood, returning as adults to what I presume is the area and the people and the culture he grew up in and was raised in, but that in the discussions about the move, he never mentioned that schools in Ireland are predominately Christian ethos, nor did either of you raise a query with his extended as to the availability of s non-religious school?
    It's such a deal breaker now that your considering going to the other side of the world to get away from it, but prior to relocating here it wasn't a factor?
    And your OH didn't mention that his family were religious and inclined to make religion a major factor in their everyday lives?

I think you are confusing myself and cnocbui, s/he has said they wish to return to Australia for different reasons.

As for my OH, he left Ireland as a child (17) to study in England and didn't return until we moved here 6 years ago. He was brought up in a religious household, went to a religious school and was surrounded by other religious people. He put this down to his families choices, not the country. I didn't specifically ask if every school was religious because it never crossed my mind that every school might be religious in a first world, western, constitutionally secular country where schools are funded by the (secular) state. I first stumbled on the A&A forum and joined boards in 2012 after looking at schools for LK, finding out the state of them and desperately needing to find other atheists to talk to.

Edit: OH left Ireland when he was 17, I previously said 18, but it was 18 years since he had lived in the country (before I'm pulled up on the inconsistency by a pedant)

OH was as shocked as me to find out that every school is religious and no I certainly don't want to divorce him because the country he comes from pretends to be secular when it isn't, whoever made that ridiculous suggestion, it's hardly his fault is it. I don't think it's normal behaviour to divorce your spouse over what you don't like about their country.

What on earth are you going on about? There is not a word I have said that relates to anything you have invented, which is all completely wrong.

I specifically said that I didn't think the religious nature of the education system would have much of an effect on the OP's child in the way that they seemed to fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If you are heading home you better be signing up to this

http://religioninschools.co.nz/

You might just be changing from a Catholic system to Anglican or church of England system.

Seems you will still be facing the same issues there.

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    Just to clarify, is it the only reason you want to leave? There isn't anything else?

I ask because I've worked secular societies like the US, Aus and NZ and I've met more religious wackos there than I do here nowadays. Irelands religiosity is on the wane whereas it seems to be growing on all those other places in reaction to tensions with emigration.

Plus your hubby went through the system and that didn't stop you marrying him. If you find it objectionable now then why don't you divorce him on a point of principle.

Are the schools in those countries indoctrinating your kids with religious whackery, or is it just individual people? There are loads of religious whackos in NZ, but the difference is that the state is not influenced by them, and therefore their religious whackery is not forced upon everyone. Not the case here.

Why would the religious school system in Ireland have stopped me from marrying my husband? Don't be ridiculous. As for suggesting that I divorce him because I find the school system in his country of birth objectionable as a 'point of principle', are you sober?

If you are heading home you better be signing up to this

http://religioninschools.co.nz/

You might just be changing from a Catholic system to Anglican or church of England system.

Seems you will still be facing the same issues there.

No I won't sign that because they are talking about private schools and semi private schools. Semi private schools are schools who get some state funding but in exchange have to take a certain percentage of students who are not of the religion and parents have to make a small (compared to fully private) contribution. Private schools are not funded by the state and charge the parents huge fees. They can do what they like. They are not talking about the fully state run and funded schools which are secular and suitable for all children. If religious parents want to pay fees to have religious indoctrination added to their kids school day, good for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

No I won't sign that because they are talking about private schools and semi private schools. Semi private schools are schools who get some state funding but in exchange have to take a certain percentage of students who are not of the religion and parents have to make a small (compared to fully private) contribution. Private schools are not funded by the state and charge the parents huge fees. They can do what they like. They are not talking about the fully state run and funded schools which are secular and suitable for all children. If religious parents want to pay fees to have religious indoctrination added to their kids school day, good for them!

But there primary goal is to remove religion from State run primary schools, not private ones??

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I've got the impression that the OPs other half is an Itish national who hails from the immediate area and family in which they currently reside?
    If I'm wrong I'll withdraw my post.
    If I'm not wrong the how could they not have known how it was going to be?

Perhaps after some years out of the country they thought it wasn't still stuck in a 1930s time-warp in the 21st century? how silly of them.
    I'm going to leave it here as it's Saturday night, but I wish you well in your next home and hope you will have at least some happy memories of us.

Happy memories of everyone I expect, except for the "This is a catholic country, get used to it or f off" internet blowhards.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

But there primary goal is to remove religion from State run primary schools, not private ones??

All teaching in state schools must be secular, if a state school wishes to offer religious instruction, it must close the school while the instruction is taking place, and they are allowed a maximum of 20 hours a year. This is what that website is wanting removed from state schools. I wouldn't be bothered, if the school is closed, outside hours, you are not obliged to attend, and all teaching during the hours the school is open must be secular. It's very, very different from the Irish school system.

From: https://www.hrc.co.nz/files/9414/2387/8011/HRC-Religion-in-NZ-Schools-for-web.pdf

Q6. What does the Education Act say about religion in state primary schools?

• Section 77 states that teaching must be secular during the hours a school is open for instruction

• Section 78 allows a school (or part of a school) to close for up to one hour a week up to a total of 20 hours a year for religious instruction or religious observance, to be conducted in a manner approved by the school’s Board of Trustees

• Section 79 allows children to opt out if their parents do not wish them to participate in religious ceremonies or teaching.

Why would the religious school system in Ireland have stopped me from marrying my husband? Don't be ridiculous. As for suggesting that I divorce him because I find the school system in his country of birth objectionable as a 'point of principle', are you sober?
    Would you object if your kids turned out like him through the same system? Its a logical inference from your objections.

Would you object if your kids turned out like him through the same system? Its a logical inference from your objections.

logical
    ˈlɒdʒɪk(ə)l/
    adjective

characterized by or capable of clear, sound reasoning.
    "her logical mind"
    synonyms: reasoned, well reasoned, rational, sound, cogent, well thought out, valid;

There is nothing about any of your posts in this thread, especially the above that fit this definition.

You cite an objection to religion in schools as a reason to move back to New Zealand. This is the same school system your husband went through but you didn't object to marrying him, a product of that system.

It's logical to conclude that there's another reason you want to go back to NZ and you don't want to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It's a contrast thing, they just stand out more

• Advertisement

You cite an objection to religion in schools as a reason to move back to New Zealand. This is the same school system your husband went through but you didn't object to marrying him, a product of that system.

It's logical to conclude that there's another reason you want to go back to NZ and you don't want to admit it.

So because some people survive religious indoctrination and come out normal, there must be nothing wrong with state sanctioned religious indoctrination in secular countries? Is that what you are trying to say? Please leave my relationship out of this, I don't know if you are trying to be intentionally offensive with your ridiculous posts, or if you are simply a product of a education that spent too much time on religion and not enough on reasoning.

Advertisement