Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Gaiman's American Gods - [Starz]

Options
  • 16-06-2015 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/16/8790439/neil-gaimans-american-gods-starz-series-order
    Hannibal and Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller is on board to write the series, with Gotham executive producer Michael Green as showrunner and Gaiman himself as executive producer.
    American Gods follows the cross-country exploits of ex-con Shadow Moon and the mysterious Mr. Wednesday after the death of Shadow's wife, Laura. During their journey, the pair come into contact with a series of gods and magical beings from all over the world, so it'll be interesting to see what the cast will look like as the series approaches its debut.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,289 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

http://www.thewrap.com/american-gods-casts-the-100-star-ricky-whittle-as-lead-character-shadow-moon/

“The 100” star Ricky Whittle has been cast as lead character Shadow Moon on Starz’s adaptation of Neil Gaiman‘s “American Gods,” the premium cable network announced Thursday.

Filming begins in April.

“American Gods” portrays a war between the old gods of biblical and mythological roots and a new group of gods “reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

No love for American Gods, the book? I think it will make great tv....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Quite liked the book alright - although it's been years since I read it. I'll probably give this a watch when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Adored the book, but i'm highly sceptical of how well it could be translated to TV!

I don't know Starz, have they don't anything like this before? I'll be honest, a Z in the name has me biased against them from the start...

That being said, Gaiman is a smart guy. Hopefully he wouldn't hand over one of his classics without being reasonably confident it would be treated with respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Never had the love for the book that so many others do. Tbh I found it a confused, and confusing mess and I really can't see how it would work on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I don't know Starz, have they don't anything like this before? I'll be honest, a Z in the name has me biased against them from the start...

Outlander, Spartacus, Black Sails?? I reckon Starz could do a good job with the source material, they have a very decent track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Only saw a small bit of Spartacus and thought it was a hot mess, no idea what the other two are so shall have to trust your judgement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Zaph wrote: »
    Never had the love for the book that so many others do. Tbh I found it a confused, and confusing mess and I really can't see how it would work on TV.

Yup, thought the same and never quite understood the hype. I'm actually struggling now to recall the ending. "Confusing mess" is actually spot on. I'm not a big Gaiman fan anyway so maybe it just wasn't meant for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I've actually just re-read the synopsis online and I still don't get it. Only way I see it working is to drop the
    zombie wife
    crap and actually avoid the main book plot altogether. Then just focus on smaller arcs for the different gods. God of the week type thing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

s.welstead wrote: »
    Yup, thought the same and never quite understood the hype. I'm actually struggling now to recall the ending. "Confusing mess" is actually spot on. I'm not a big Gaiman fan anyway so maybe it just wasn't meant for me
    Count me as another one who thought this was very over-hyped. Felt that it thought it was cleverer than it was too, as if Gaiman wanted to be seen as showing as many different cultures as possible. The plot seemed to revolve around the lead wandering from situation to situation without any real direction.

I'm additionally miffed that Fuller went from Hannibal to this. Sure, Hannibal had been cancelled but a niggling part of me suspects that if he hadn't been distracted by American Gods then he might have had pushed harder to save Hannibal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I liked the writing, just not the story itself. It had Gaimen's unmistakable voice, but as mentioned already it was a mess; totally unfocused and more than a little rambling. Maybe that was deliberate, given the narrative effectively followed a road-trip, but to me it made the book a bit tedious to read. Still, a TV version might enforce a little more structure on things, give shape to what was previously a bit shapeless.

Can't help wonder though how, or if, the adaptation will include the slightly unforgettable scene near the start where
    a woman eats someone with her vagina
    . I know little of Starz, nor have ever watched Spartacus (I did watch Torchwood: Miracle Day years ago), but a scene like that would make even HBO blush a little :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Starz make some fantastic shows. Spartacus, Black Sails, Power, Outlander, Pillars of the Earth, Ash VS Evil Dead...

I'd be happy with them at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Excellent casting!

I hope they do a good job, I love the book, one of my favourite fantasies.

Gillian Anderson joins the cast.

Cool, she's playing
    Media

Have to admit, any cast additions have flown over my head, just saw Peter Stormare and Crispin Glover are also aboard. Nice.

Hopefully it'll be a role Anderson actually puts some effort into. Her most recent outings have been kind of.. lacking.

Teaser

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

I must say that looks interesting. I recall reading the book but dont remember much of it to be honest...

• Advertisement

OK.

I've read the book twice, listened to the audiobook as well, and I have to say this looks fantastic. Will be interesting to see how they handle a lot of the God transformation scenes.

Never in doubt, (and early days) but Ian McShane is already looking very comfortable as Wednesday.

Can't wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Only read the book recently myself and loved it - that trailer looks great. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Just finished the book last night, good ut definitely overhyped. Really looking forward to the TV show although looking at the cat list on imdb
    they seem to have cast two separate actors as Low-Key and Mr World
    which has me intrigued.

Amazon have the rights to show it in the UK hopefully we will get it when Amazon video launches here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Managed to get two thirds of the way through the book before I gave up on it. Can't imagine how the TV series would be anything other than terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Nice! Love all gaimans books looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Managed to get two thirds of the way through the book before I gave up on it. Can't imagine how the TV series would be anything other than terrible.

I know some love it (see above) but I agree on the book -- it was a struggle. A TV series could be better though, if it was tighter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

You kind of missed the best part of it.

Advertisement