Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neil Gaiman's American Gods - [Starz]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Launch pushed back till April now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Damn can't wait for this Orlando Jones probably my favorite casting choice although Crispin Glover would be a close second, I really had high hope Sheamus would get the role of Mad Sweeney.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

New trailer out, slightly NSFW as there's a fair amount of blood :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Good first episode review here....

for readers familiar with the book, read away, for people coming into American Gods with no previous knowledge, avoid clicking...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand/0/american-gods-episode-1-review-cinematic-surreal-prestige-tv/

Neil Gaiman himself, just put up the link to this video review... it's quite good...
    I'm definitely having to quell my enthusiasm for this one..

http://deadline.com/2017/04/american-gods-review-neil-gaiman-bryan-fuller-ian-mcshane-video-1202069917/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads Merged.

First episode on this Sunday. Between this, Leftovers, Silicon Valley, and Masterchef Australia (it's my guilty pleasure, don't judge!), my Monday evening has become very busy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

First episode on this Sunday. Between this, Leftovers, Silicon Valley, and Masterchef Australia (it's my guilty pleasure, don't judge!), my Monday evening has become very busy!
    Distinct lack of Billions and Last Week With John Oliver from that lineup.

Pelvis wrote: »
    Distinct lack of Billions and Last Week With John Oliver from that lineup.

There's only so many hours on a Monday, maaaan! I've already got a busy enough schedule of TV watching as is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

MOH wrote: »
    You kind of missed the best part of it.

I enjoyed the book, but I found the ending a tad hollow.I wonder how the series will work, the main protagonist is something of a passive character who kind of drifts through the story in an unengaging manner.
    I know the novel is structured like a road trip, but if the series meanders as much as the book I don't know if it will be a cohesive enough story to hold viewers. Some novels are best remaining as novels.

Edit: The internets tell me that this is an eight episode season ONE of American Gods that adapts the first third of the novel....

Ok... I really don't know what to make of that, I assumed the 8 episodes were a miniseries adaption of the novel, which seemed about the right length. American Gods is not a huge tome like Lord of the Rings or anything so either they are going to have to add a lot to this adaption or this will be glacially paced story telling about a character that doesn't have an awful lot to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well, that was something! :eek:

I wonder if it can keep an audience if it's gonna keep the mystery element. Certainly plenty
    of sex and violence that might keep the crowd

They're expanding the filler characters like Bilquis( :p ) to give more depth to the show.

Not sure how they're expanding on her - if anything, so far they've probably given her less screen time than in the book.

OK - what we should probably say that all book chat should be spoilered.

Anyway - I was worried that they wouldn't go the full length that the books went, especially with the worship sex scene. But, christ, did they. And then some. Have to say... it was something special. Really hope they will keep the quality up, which I imagine they should because Gaiman is attached as an Executive Producer.

Dude is heavily involved in adaptations of his work (I believe that he personally picks the narrators of any of his audio books), so I have high hopes for the rest of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I know this is on Amazon Prime in UK but can we get that in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I know this is on Amazon Prime in UK but can we get that in Ireland?

Yes, primevideo.com has it in Ireland, they launched it here in December. Doesn't have all the UK content though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Watched episode 1...can honestly say I have never seen anything quite like that before....
    I could have done without the dodgy accented leprechaun tbh... But guessing that is from source?...loved the face grabbing video section!

gmisk wrote: »
    Watched episode 1...can honestly say I have never seen anything quite like that before....
    I could have done without the dodgy accented leprechaun tbh... But guessing that is from source?...loved the face grabbing video section!

From what I remember, it does come from the source.

• Advertisement

Definitely gonna need a book/non book split for this sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 quinagh

American Gods isn't available on Amazon Video here though.

quinagh wrote: »

It is, I watched it from Limerick already.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll put this in spoiler tags even though it isn't a spoiler if you know who the actors in the credits are
    Why put Emily Browning's name as the first name in the credits when her character dies in the first episode. I now know she'll be back

I haven't read the book, but since I haven't seen it linked here, I see a thread for book readers has been created
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057735858

And if you insist on posting book spoilers here, may I sugest to please put them in tags saying they're book spoilers

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Be interested to hear people's opinions of those who, like me, didn't like the book. I've not watched it yet but the novel was very underwhelming IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Occono wrote: »
    quinagh wrote: »

It is, I watched it from Limerick already.
    I'm not getting it on Prime either

Not available due to geographical license restrictions.

Some interesting changes from the book, some really stupid ones too. I enjoyed this but not as much as I thought I would.

Clegg wrote: »

Are you not using primevideo.com ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Clegg wrote: »

Working for me on the Prime Video iOS app.

• Advertisement

Still on the fence with this.. but obviously will continue to watch, it's only one episode in...

Are we supposed to spoiler stuff? I will for now, ..

Good parts, loved Ian McShane... brings a touch of class to every scene...
    Loved the Bilquis worship scene... excellently done..

Bad parts..
    I wasn´t crazy about all the mortal combat Gore.. not sure if it was visually necessary. I was disappointed that they didn´nt include the "It might as well be thursday" line.... THe vikings poriginally coming to America, felt off the pace.. not sure what more they could do, maybe they will have more cultures arriving to the new world in other episodes..

anyway.. looking forward to the rest of the episodes, I suppose loving the book makes me uber picky here..

Advertisement