Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Gaiman's American Gods - [Starz]

Options

Comments

Now that was an episode.
    brevity wrote: »
    I absolutely love this show. Some excellent story telling and amazing characters. Gonna have to check out the book...

It isn't to everyone's liking, but would you be into Audiobooks? There's an excellent adaptation of American Gods, which is read superbly by a full cast and has an incredibly high production value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭brevity

Now that was an episode.

It really was. I feel like leaving some bread out...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Slydice wrote: »
    0.9 -> 0.71 -> 0.716 -> 0.631->0.666->0.607

It got a bump
    0.9 -> 0.71 -> 0.716 -> 0.631->0.666->0.607->0.629

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Not sure if its the character or actor but the episodes with very little Shadow in them seem to be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Not sure if its the character or actor but the episodes with very little Shadow in them seem to be the best.

Yeah I thought the same. The two best episodes yet have been the latest one and the episode that focused primarily on Laura Moons backstory. Really like Mad Sweenys character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I wish I didn't screw up Irish in school so I wouldn't have needed a translation for Sweeney's dialogue as Gaeilge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Occono wrote: »
    I wish I didn't screw up Irish in school so I wouldn't have needed a translation for Sweeney's dialogue as Gaeilge.

it doesn't matter what you learned in school, he was speaking Old Irish

Reddit Thread with a breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That was just lovely.

Sweeny's only an ould softie.

I'm not sure I fully clocked what the deal with the crash was.
    Presumably he got her killed but was he driving the car coming towards them?

If it was Old Irish, then you really have to hand it to the writers for doing their homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

You really can't compare the tv show and book any more. They may not have diverged from the end game, but the tv show is definitely fleshing out quite a few characters stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

That episode was surprisingly moving. Having watched Hannibal and seeing what Fuller achieved there, I'm chuffed to see he's knocking it out of the park here. Hopefully the ratings are holding up across the pond.

Really want that bagpipes theme from this episode but typically, no where to be found. :P

MargeS wrote: »
    You really can't compare the tv show and book any more. They may not have diverged from the end game, but the tv show is definitely fleshing out quite a few characters stories.

Honestly, as someone who has read the book numerous times and even listened to the phenomenonal full cast audiobook, it doesn't bother me too much. It's giving me, personally, the ability to approach it from a purely televisual point of view. And it's a damn good tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I'm the same, the book is wonderful. I am enjoying the different viewpoint.

Ok back to the previous style of episode though with a bit more exposition. If the audience is with them so far, this one should be grand.

As a season finale it was alright.

The scene
    at the end where Easter sucks the life outta the land and into herself (I think) was kinda cool. The camera work and lighting and music worked well. They handled Gillian Anderson well, she didn't steal the scene but they got her looking great .. like some of that life force was being channelled into her too.

The Laura Moon bits were done well too.
    Grabbing sweeney by the nuts like that was hilarious. The work on making her look decrepit was cool and for that final scene where she wanted a word with her husband, they joined in a level of confidence that felt like it worked. Like.. it'd have been hard to do that line better I'd say.

Overall, this season felt like it was setting up for the 2nd season. Good thing they got that signed in advance :) It felt like they didn't want to explain stuff to the audience. That might have harmed their ability to retain viewership.

I'm guessing they'll get some decent action into the second season now that they've got some world building done. It could be good though
    Ian McShane didn't feel hugely intimidating when doing that lightening bolt so they might want to work on how they deliver their action.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was thinking the same about how this season was just set up for season 2.

So what does Mr World represent? The internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Mr World is the wild card in all of this, he isn't what he seems, he is chaos. The kid is the technical boy he represents the Internet.

That was a lot of Jesus, the story has gone in a very skewed direction, the potential is still there for this to be epic I'll be sticking with it when it returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

http://www.thewrap.com/american-gods-casts-the-100-star-ricky-whittle-as-lead-character-shadow-moon/

“The 100” star Ricky Whittle has been cast as lead character Shadow Moon on Starz’s adaptation of Neil Gaiman‘s “American Gods,” the premium cable network announced Thursday.

Filming begins in April.

“American Gods” portrays a war between the old gods of biblical and mythological roots and a new group of gods “reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs.”
    Watched first episode,unusual,but enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

http://www.thewrap.com/american-gods-casts-the-100-star-ricky-whittle-as-lead-character-shadow-moon/

“The 100” star Ricky Whittle has been cast as lead character Shadow Moon on Starz’s adaptation of Neil Gaiman‘s “American Gods,” the premium cable network announced Thursday.

Filming begins in April.

“American Gods” portrays a war between the old gods of biblical and mythological roots and a new group of gods “reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs.”
    Watched first episode,unusual,but enjoyed it. Loved Torchwood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So what does Mr World represent? The internet?
    Globalization.

I binged the whole season this weekend. Absolutely incredible series. This is an A+, top of the range show for me. Among current shows, it's up there with Game of Thrones, Fargo, Westworld, Better Call Saul, and Legion. Unique, original shows with style and substance, not redundant crap like cop dramas, medical dramas, or superhero shows.

I haven't seen a woman eat people with her pussy or a man ejaculating fire into another man, on other series anyways. These were some of the most beautiful scenes in the show.

I love the whole cast of characters, the style, everything. I have nothing negative to say about the show.

-"is good"

I think Mr World is the Mr Wednesday to the new gods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Time will tell, anyone know the air date for season 2 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Time will tell, anyone know the air date for season 2 yet?
    It only got confirmation a couple of weeks ago that it would have a second series, air date confirmation will be some time off

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember at the end of the first season of True blood they did a quick clip showing season 2 production with the voiceover saying filming for season 2 is underway. Would've been cool to hear that at the end of this season. Or even at the end of more first seasons. Though in most cases filming is not underway by that point

Slydice wrote: »
    It got a bump
    0.9 -> 0.71 -> 0.716 -> 0.631->0.666->0.607->0.629
    And another one...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods_(TV_series)
    0.9 -> 0.71 -> 0.716 -> 0.631->0.666->0.607->0.629->0.774

So anyway, thoughts on the season finale ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

needs more carousel

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought the show (ironically) died a death
    once the wife came came back
    . I was fine with giving it a whole episode at the time but the show never regained its momentum after that and just seemed like a load of filler. I think in the latter half of the season it became apparent they're milking it too much, if they had just set out to tell the book in one season I think we would have ended up with a better show.

I still liked the ending though and it promises next season should be an improvement. Overall I enjoyed the season but it ended up being just "pretty good" rather than the "great" I thought we were getting after the first episode or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree. It had some great moments - episodes, even - and some of the characters are very good but it's just spread far too thinly for an opening season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

It was a really good season of television visually stunning, some great stories and stand alone episodes. But having an 8 episode season just effectively to set up season 2 is a bit annoying. 8 episodes of here's the players we'll give you the real game next year

• Advertisement

Yep in hindsight season 1 was really just about introducing the characters, in saying that some of the episodes were brilliant in there own right

Advertisement