Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

Heaslip probably not fit to play.

If we maintain some kind of score parity through to 45 minutes I think our bench could give them hell.

I wonder does the IRFU want to keep the internationals as injury free and fresh as possible for February...

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

It's not as if the young guys getting a chance don't deserve it though, Ringrose, VDF, Molony and Tracy have all earned a chance to play some European Cup rugby. Personally I'm much more excited about going to the game tomorrow now that this team has been announced.
    The young lads have more to play for than the regulars, fairly sure Sexton had said something along the lines that he doesn't care much for this game. Don't think this should be written off as a Bath win either, if we can stay in the game till 50-60 mins we have a strong bench to come on bar Tom Denton

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

This could go very well or very, very badly. I have to say though, I like it, we're out of the tournament anyway, so fcuk it, lets at least see what the younger players can do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That's a bit of an F you to Ulster. It's good to see the young lads get exposure but I'm not sure doing it that way will help too much as we are likely to get thumped. Teo seemed to struggle with the switch to 12 last time out, hopefully that won't be exposed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

How many of the players in this starting 15 will be the starting 15 once the 6 Nations starts?

Leinster only have the Pro 12 to focus on now and if they're going to lose most of the first choice team to the International set up it makes sense to use these last European games to prepare for the 6 Nations period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Don't think it's a terrible team. Dooley and Tracy really stick out but most of the other young guys there deserve their chance. Hopefully they keep it close until the bench can make an impact.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If Leinster get tanked here and Bath pick up 4 or 5 points then Leo Cullen is certainly not going to be flavour of the month with Ulster fans. :mad:

Ulster fans do not forgive easily. Just ask John Lacey, George Clancy or Alain Rolland. Does Leo really want to find himself on the same list as those three? Not a nice list to be on!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    If Leinster get tanked here and Bath pick up 4 or 5 points then Leo Cullen is certainly not going to be flavour of the month with Ulster fans. :mad:

Ulster fans do not forgive easily. Just ask John Lacey, George Clancy or Alain Rolland. Does Leo really want to find himself on the same list as those three? Not a nice list to be on!

In all honesty while Ulster might be a slight consideration for a few fans they really are not and should not be in the thought process of Leo and his coaches. From a Leinster perspective they are irrelevant.

If Leinster lose badly there will be enough other things to worry about a lot closer to home. Like how it will affect the side heading into the crucial 6 Nations period. Or how fans are likely to react to what is all but a white flag for a home game they've paid money to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How many of the players in this starting 15 will be the starting 15 once the 6 Nations starts?

Leinster only have the Pro 12 to focus on now and if they're going to lose most of the first choice team to the International set up it makes sense to use these last European games to prepare for the 6 Nations period.

Everyone seems to be overlooking this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

AdamD wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be overlooking this

The other side of that coin is over playing players we are going to need while the internationals are away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

stephen_n wrote: »
    The other side of that coin is over playing players we are going to need while the internationals are away.

Most of the guys in that line up are under cooked if anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I doubt, like the rest of us, that Leo will give a discharge section of a rattus rattus what Ulster fans think, or what list he ends up on, if the game is useful experience to maintain the development of his players and systems towards a Pro 12 title and top ties draw for next seasons EC.

I wonder how the IRFU would react if it turns out Leinster's selection tomorrow has a huge influence on there being no irish sides in the quarter final?

I wonder how the IRFU would react if it turns out Leinster's selection tomorrow has a huge influence on there being no irish sides in the quarter final?

What would their reaction options be ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

IRFU policy is not to give a f**k about the provinces, so they'd probably be grand with it.

I know Leinster have fallen victim to this thing before and I was pissed off then, but if Ulster dont qualify they have themselves to blame for that not Leinster, Cullen shouldnt be expected to change his line-up to do another side a favour, and if the IRFU start giving him grief over it I think he'll tell them where to go quick enough

Its a good team for the game that in it, and the result being the last thing on the goals for the game.
    IRFU possibly happy that some of the big guns are being given a rest. Maybe it was even their call/suggestion/lets****upUlsterschancesidea.

Tox56 wrote: »
    I know Leinster have fallen victim to this thing before and I was pissed off then, but if Ulster dont qualify they have themselves to blame for that not Leinster, Cullen shouldnt be expected to change his line-up to do another side a favour, and if the IRFU start giving him grief over it I think he'll tell them where to go quick enough

Have another Irish province ever done it to Leinster? I know French teams have and there has been plenty of complaints on here about how disgraceful it is.

Of course it'd be Ulster's fault at the end of the day, but if Leinster sending out the academy results in Bath picking up points tomorrow that they otherwise wouldn't and Ulster do the business in the last two games there would certainly be an interesting discussion to be had.

If Ulster don't get through they only have themselves to blame for getting easily beaten at home to Saracens and not getting a TBP to Oyannaux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭scott1974

I wonder who the last Leinster manager was that had a fall-out with the IRFU... oh yeah....

• Advertisement

Have another Irish province ever done it to Leinster? I know French teams have and there has been plenty of complaints on here about how disgraceful it is.

Of course it'd be Ulster's fault at the end of the day, but if Leinster sending out the academy results in Bath picking up points tomorrow that they otherwise wouldn't and Ulster do the business in the last two games there would certainly be an interesting discussion to be had.

I dont think there would be any more an interesting discussion had with him than with any other of the provinces coaches who failed to progress to the knockouts. He might be lessening Ulster's chances slightly, but he is also electing to give pretty much all the Irish internationals an unexpected week off before the Six Nations in a World Cup year, and at the same time hes giving opportunity to younger Irish players, those dont go against the IRFU's interests at all.

I was mostly annoyed in the past with how the group system was set up, particularly that year we had to play Clermont twice as defending champions while Munster steamrolled the Racing seconds, but you cant expect other teams, French or Irish, to bail you out, and honestly I didnt hold anything against Racing for sending their B team for instance, what do you expect? They dont care about us and its not any use forcing them to send out a stronger team for the sake of it when they clearly didnt care about the result at all, they'd get hockeyed anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

If Ulster don't qualify, it's their own fault, not Leinster's. Stop it, please.

It's one thing Racing sending their Bs to Limerick, it's a complete different thing (and worse) for Leinster to send the B side out at home.

sheep? wrote: »
    If Ulster don't qualify, it's their own fault, not Leinster's. Stop it, please.

Nobody has said otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

And if we pick up 2 or 3 injuries tomorrow will that still apply? There's always 2 sides to these coins.

It's one thing Racing sending their Bs to Limerick, it's a complete different thing (and worse) for Leinster to send the B side out at home.

Except it's not a B side, it's about half the regular starters and then some young players who are there on merit and deserve European rugby experience

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

So this is the week we finally see Garry Ringrose get destroyed at Euro level.

At least that's what I've read on here.

How? The only difference really is letting down the home fans paying good money to support their team, and its a very small minority of Leinster fans attending the game that will really be fussed about how the result effects Ulster. If we get completely embarrassed I could see the argument that it is worse than if the same happened away from home, but Cullen shouldnt be sending out a team he expects to get embarrassed at any point, home or away, and I dont think hes doing that on this occasion. As a Leinster fan I would rather see the team named today give it a lash and watch some young players make their mark than the first 15 go out there and try and grind their way to a meaningless victory

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

molloyjh wrote: »
    And if we pick up 2 or 3 injuries tomorrow will that still apply? There's always 2 sides to these coins.

That's why I asked how many of them will be the starting 15 come 6 Nations time.

You could pick up injuries every day of the week in training. The only way to guarantee 23 players of choice are not injured is to prevent them from doing anything. Which isn't an option. Obviously.

All I'm saying is it's probably not just Leo throwing the match. There's a benefit to Leinster to play these players against a team like this and to play them now.

I can't remember who is playing 9 but chances are the 10,12,13 during 6 Nations is going to be Madigan, Te'o, Ringrose. So here's two games for them to get in sync with one another with no real pressure to get a win. Obviously they're not going out to lose the game but I don't think anyone would be at all surprised if they did.

• Advertisement

How? The only difference really is letting down the home fans paying good money to support their team, and its a very small minority of Leinster fans attending the game that will really be fussed about how the result effects Ulster. If we get completely embarrassed I could see the argument that it is worse than if the same happened away from home, but Cullen shouldnt be sending out a team he expects to get embarrassed at any point, home or away, and I dont think hes doing that on this occasion. As a Leinster fan I would rather see the team named today give it a lash and watch some young players make their mark than the first 15 go out there and try and grind their way to a meaningless victory

You're at home. The integrity of the competition needs to be maintained even just a little bit. This selection is not respecting the competition.

All will be forgiven if you win, but it is disappointing to see Leinster even take the risk and go down this road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement