Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's definitely not just Leinster who care. It's just a quite obscure aspect of the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I was fairly happy when I heard Angle was meant to be signing. Unless a world class second row was available I wouldn't see the need to use a niq spot on a second row. I hope that Kearney will push for a starting place and it just adds a little bit of depth for during the 6 nations and for the B&I cup.

If I heard of a 12 or 13 of this calibre coming in I'd be getting worried. I think that should be number 1 concern as an niq player. Someone who won't be subject to player welfare and can cover 12 and 13

The biggest priority by far should be a scrum half. We are very short at 9 especially if Boss retires, and Reddan can't be far off calling it a day either.

Honestly if we only signed a scrum half I would be happy. We can cover midfield in a pinch and when Daly/Byrne are done with the 7s I'm sure we'll see them on development contracts.

If Nagle is cheap then I don't see the harm. It's hardly a position of strength for us so might as well take a few punts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Signing a 9 is problematic because Pienaar. We won't get one unless he's a project or IQ, and that means a trade off in quality.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Signing a 9 is problematic because Pienaar. We won't get one unless he's a project or IQ, and that means a trade off in quality.

Pienaar is irrelevant.

You won't get a top class 9 because the expectation will be that McGrath will turn into something decent in the next season or two.

Even if Pienaar wasn't at Ulster Leinster wouldn't be allowed to sign a 9 of his quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Not necessarily, I dont know if you've been paying attention to SA, but the quotas are being rigorously enforced, so you are guaranteed an underage international quality nine is on the market in the development age bracket, not to mention plenty of ready super rugby guys who are inevitably going to be squeezed out..

As far as I'm aware Leinster are currently actively looking for an NIQ scrum half. No world-beater, we just need an ITM/Currie Cup standard player who can cover in case Boss doesn't come back and Reddan/McGrath are both unavailable.

You never know, maybe they won't find someone and they'll bring someone from the AIL

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I remember a while back there was talk of a project 9. Was there ever anything concrete with that or even names mentioned? Reddans form has picked up lately. If marmion overtakes him for Ireland it might prolong his good form for Leinster. The last few weeks he looks like he's another year left in him. That would open up Kirchners place assuming he's not offered an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

We should be looking at South Africa. The reason most of the South African squad have signed in Europe the last few weeks is because the Rand is a piece of a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Dooley Tracy Furlong
    Molony McCarthy
    Ruddock Murphy VDF

McGrath Madigan
    Te'o Ringrose
    D Kearney Kirchner Nacewa

Starting team. I do not agree with this at all. Why are we resting internationals when they are heading off in 2 weeks anyway?

EDIT: Bench is Cronin, McGrath, Moore, Denton, SOB, Reddan, Sexton, Reid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭LostArt

Bench
    16. Sean Cronin
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Tom Denton
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Johnny Sexton
    23. Noel Reid

Can't see us winning with that team tbh, hopefully I'm wrong.

WTAF? It's a brave selection I guess, but we are going to lose this one I'd imagine.

I'd have gone full strength this week and rested guys next week tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Peter Dooley getting a start in Europe is excellent. But our scrum got a bit of a going over against Bath the last time. Hope he's ready for it. That pack is quite dynamic, but I fear it may lack the muscle to get over the gainline and give the backs good ball. Very big test for Molony.

Saw a photo of training during the week and bib theory would have predicted this selection, but I saw Tracy in a bib and said, nah, they'll never start him...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That's very brave.

LostArt wrote: »
    Can't see us winning with that team tbh, hopefully I'm wrong.

No way. Bath need the win to progress and will be looking at that team thinking TBP.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

leinster gone from -4 to + 2 straight away.

ill wait to see the altenative handicaps, but if bath -10 is at anything over 2/1 it would be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Given Ulster's situation I'm not happy with this lineup at all. I don't see how this team couldn't have been named for next week.

I'm actually really annoyed by the selection. For starters the internationals can be rested next week and will be rested the week after. We won't be playing in European knock-out games so there's more rest weeks there. We gain nothing from resting those guys.

Then we have a Bath side coming to face us who need the win. Not only that they will likely want the TBP. They are a good enough side to give a second string Leinster side a bit of a hiding. And taking another hiding in the RDS is not what this team needs right now. It is not what the fans need either. We need to be building on the work from the last few weeks, not pissing it all away.

We have a meaningless away game next week that we can send this kind of squad to fair enough, but at least for our home games and the fans that have paid money to come out and watch we could be making a bit more of an effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Mads at ten, Teo at 12 noice, I reckon we'll stand up well if we can get parity up front.

Mads at ten, Teo at 12 noice, I reckon we'll stand up well if we can get parity up front.

We weren't able to get parity up front with a better pack in November....

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

awec wrote: »
    6. Leinster wins could help Ulster.

Cheers Leinster. :rolleyes:

Given Ulster's situation I'm not happy with this lineup at all. I don't see how this team couldn't have been named for next week.

Leinster can not complain about French sides any more after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote:
    Cheers Leinster.

Hold my hands up and admit I never saw this one coming. Think it's a bit of a mad one. Excited to see someone like Molony in there but Dooley has no business starting this game.

I'd be fuming if I was an Ulster fan. This is akin to the approach that angered us so much in recent years from French sides who put out largely understrength sides and impacted on qualification.

awec wrote: »
    Cheers Leinster. :rolleyes:

Game hasn't been played yet! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is it bad that this makes me wanna go see it.

LostArt wrote: »
    Game hasn't been played yet! :rolleyes:

I'd be over the moon if that Leinster team beat Bath. But I wouldn't expect it at all.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd be over the moon if that Leinster team beat Bath. But I wouldn't expect it at all.

Oh I wouldn't expect anything myself, but still

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its an exciting selection, but one better reserved for a home match against cardiff in the pro12.... not a home euro game v bath who need every point.

Ill be honest, im expecting bath to get to the TBP ... and the only way we will get the scores close is if they do it within 50 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement