Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hitman 5

• 14-07-2015 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Officially titled 'HITMAN' because screw logic... has had a gameplay leak

• A.I is blind
    • Cover-system based stealth
    • Constant target list/objective notice on screen
    • Absolution suspicion gauge
    • Absolution alert state
    • Guards shoot before trying to subdue with non-lethal or unarmed
    • Voiced tutorial
    • Absolution x-ray vision

One can only hope that it's because its leaked gameplay or that they're playing on the easiest difficulty.

From other, official videos we know the game will be survive on updates, one-time assassination targets via online features, new levels and an advertised robust user-made level system. Lots of potential if done right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

he walks like he just came out of a gay disco :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Disappointed based on that video. Hopefully it's not an accurate representation of the eventual finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Corvo

If it plays anything like Absolution it can stay where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I can only assume that they'll have the same style difficulty levels that Absolution had, in that all the stuff that makes it easy can be turned off. But I hope there's a lot more work to be put into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Hope its like Blood Money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Corvo wrote: »
    If it plays anything like Absolution it can stay where it is

Could not agree more.

Absolution was not the assassination sim this game used to be. It was an adventure game thing with X Ray vision and super senses.

Anyone else get to play the closed Alpha? I've not fully explored the level available, but it feels very much like the Blood Money sequel that Absolution should have been. The level is really big and seems very linear in how you approach it. I haven't played it long enough to know if the events in it are scripted for when you're at a location, or if the NPC's move about on their own accord (I think it's the former, but can't be sure).

It's also clearly been set out for play in contracts mode too as there's loads of things to interact with that none of the NPC's go near, so it seems like there'll be huge scope for plotting your own assassinations for others to replicate. And having so much to play with really brings the gameplay back to Blood Money, where you're happy to spend ages exploring a level and restarting over and over while experimenting, before you decide to actually complete the mission.

While it's possible that it's just a showcase level and the rest may return to Absolution's linear style of play through, it's promising so far and reason enough to be hopeful that it's going to be a pretty good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Can't play the beta, it's console-only. Seems to be a common practice to stop people digging into the gamefiles and playing after it closes. Would've liked to see how it performs on my system.

I'm playing on PC. I'm not fully sure how I got the invite, but someone mentioned it may be because of a survey they sent out a while ago (I probably should read all of the emails I receive instead of just clicking links).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Officially titled 'HITMAN' because screw logic... has had a gameplay leak

Did nobody else notice that the gameplay in that video is absolution. I should know I only played that level a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Baron McBoomBoom

i REALLY didnt a lot of the new aspects of absolutiond. Im actually replaying it atm just to see was I a bit harsh but I really thought it was completely lacking compared to Blood Money

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Baron McBoomBoom

i REALLY didn't a lot of the new aspects of absolution. Im actually replaying it atm just to see was I a bit harsh but I really thought it was completely lacking compared to Blood Money. As now however Id much prefer they went back to basics with the new one. Opinion may change in the coming days but I doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

go back and play contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Blood Money was the only game i played and will probably play by the way people go on about the rest.

(Quite strange last 2 posters have accounts for years but most their posts are in the last week) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Blood Money was the only game i played and will probably play by the way people go on about the rest.

(Quite strange last 2 posters have accounts for years but most their posts are in the last week) :pac:

The earlier games are worth playing as well. Silent assassin and contracts. Especially if you get them cheap as you often can.

I find this an odd way to release a game.
    With the game being released in different stages, an “intro pack”, which features all the base content, can be purchased at launch, and a full-priced version can be purchased after all the post-release content was released. At launch, the game features three different locations, including Paris, Sapienza and Marrakesh, six story missions, three sandboxes, forty “signature kills” , a contracts mode which features 800 different targets, and regular events held by the developer. New missions and locations set in Thailand, the US and Japan would be released after the game's launch.[1]

13304603918640.195.c99571e18da7a63b1b47aa95856acc1b.jpg?width=768&height=auto&strategy=contain

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just see it as a variant of a typical episodic release type of approach, where you're usually charged less for ordering a whole season in one go. It's a decent model for those who want to try out the game but are unsure whether they'll like it or not - get a decent chunk of the game for half the price, and you can choose to leave it or upgrade it from there. More substantial than a demo, cheaper than taking a gamble on the full release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

I'd quicker rent it out from Xtra-Vision tbh.

I just see it as a variant of a typical episodic release type of approach, where you're usually charged less for ordering a whole season in one go. It's a decent model for those who want to try out the game but are unsure whether they'll like it or not - get a decent chunk of the game for half the price, and you can choose to leave it or upgrade it from there. More substantial than a demo, cheaper than taking a gamble on the full release.

For the person unsure, its probably not the worst model. 30 quid is a still a bit steep though for someone unsure.

But for the person who buys a game plays it from start to finish, its not a great model, as there is so long between initial release and the final contents release.

I love the hitman games, not Absolution though, that was a massive let down, barely even qualifies as a Hitman game.

But I will end up waiting for a sale of the complete edition here mostly likely and play it all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    But for the person who buys a game plays it from start to finish, its not a great model, as there is so long between initial release and the final contents release.

That's the way with all episodic releases, though? It's rarely done with AAA games, but I think it's an interesting experiment they're running here. I've come to like the episodic approach in some ways as it helps ensure you don't overdose on a particular game all at once, and allows developers a bit more freedom to adapt and polish based on user response to the previous chapters. It's been a great model for stuff like Life is Strange, so I'm curious to see how it works here even though I have very little interest in the Hitman franchise.

And anyway, if you aren't fond of the episodic approach and want the full thing at once, you can just wait 'til it is finished / on sale (and they tend to go on sale quickly - Life is Strange has been reduced a few times and it's not even done yet)/ whatever. After all, you'd have to wait that long if they were to just release the whole thing in one go anyway. To me there are very few drawbacks to this - early access to a big chunk o' game for those who are that eager to get their hands on it ASAP, and a full, traditional game to those happy to wait a few months.

AAA games are expensive beasts to produce and release, so honestly I'm happy to see publishers experimenting with release models. I don't really see how anybody is getting ****ed over by this model - it's pretty much the standard one with a few more flexible options available to those who don't want to jump in right away. Yeah, maybe the upgrade should be a fiver cheaper, but almost every episodic title or subscription offers a nice discount for those willing to make a bigger investment straight away, so nothing new there.

• Advertisement

• This has fail written all over it, even the pricing for buying in early is wrong.

It's already been delayed so I really doubt the rest of the game will be on target either.

Nothing they have at launch says anything more than you are getting an unfinished game and little or no reward out side of saving a 5er.

I've bought in day one on episodic games a lot but this doesn't fit that that bill, it's basically "we can't meet our target for full AAA so we'll get you to pay for half a game now and half a game later" and following that if this game is any good I'll come back here and eat my hat, I don't actually own a hat but I'll buy one for the occasion :o

I actually really like the last one, but the way they are going about this is off, there is absolutely zero need for them to be releasing and going about this in the way they are if not for reasons that are not good for the game or consumer imo. If it walks like a duck :pac:

And anyway, if you aren't fond of the episodic approach and want the full thing at once, you can just wait 'til it is finished / on sale (and they tend to go on sale quickly -

I like episodic releases normally, I play all the Tell Tale stuff.

Ya I shall be waiting for a full release and on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Ya I shall be waiting for a full release and on sale.

Same. Blood Money/Contracts this aint from anything ive seen yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I find this an odd way to release a game.

...<price model image>

[/IMG]

Sigh, what the **** are the developers doing to the game series I love.

Feckin cabbages. So more than likely if I wait a year I'll get the base game + a tonne of DLC at a reduced price. Its getting very annoying that studios don't tell a proper story with a beginning, middle, and end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they are making the game episodic and so have cancelled all preorders

http://mashable.com/2016/01/14/hitman-episodic-release/#IQhoacAKhgq4

Skerries wrote: »
    they are making the game episodic and so have cancelled all preorders

http://mashable.com/2016/01/14/hitman-episodic-release/#IQhoacAKhgq4

Definitely waiting for a dirt cheap complete edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So... you pay per episode? That's horrible. I mean I always wanted more and more missions to be added to hitman but doing it this way is a tap-drip of what the previous games delivered in one big feast.

I don't think I'll stomach this unless the gameplay is really refined and improves over all the casual-catering flaws of Absolution and even then I'll probably take Mr Freeze' approach in waiting for it to be finished for the complete bundle sold at discounted price. However if the maps truly are as large, detailed and fun as what they're making them out to be then perhaps there is fun to be had in doing custom missions. No harm in waiting for early adopters to be at the frontlines in giving us feedback about this. I'll keep an eye on hitmanforum and image boards to give honest feedback about this.

If they really wanted to let players try it out before committing to a bigger purchase they'd have a demo, free few hours on steam or a free weekend or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This will be a flop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

The prologue/Paris mission "Intro Pack" launches on Mar. 11 for $15. Subsequent missions will release at $10 apiece. Players also have the option of buying everything in advance for $60 or waiting until fall 2016, when everything will be released on one disc.

Strange. I really wanted this to be a success, but the release structure will deter many. Think I'll still get the intro pack though and judge then whether or not to commit long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Definitely waiting for a dirt cheap complete edition.
    Assuming it returns to the series roots, why not just get the Complete Edition when it's released later in the year? :confused:

Not particularly fond of the scaled down initial launch myself either way mainly due to the fact that, regardless of how good it is, I can see a lot of people holding off for either more content or said complete edition to be released and Square Enix abandoning it due to low sales. Hell, the release as it stands shows a disappointing lack of confidence in the IP. After Absolution failed to meet sales targets one would have hoped they would simply return to the gameplay of the originals in a traditional AAA package rather than toying with an already damaged brand in a manner which could result in the longer term shelving of the franchise. :(

Advertisement