Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hitman 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Azza wrote: »
    I hear it was for a time at least extremely successfully at preventing piracy.

That was said by Denuvo themselves as a marketing ploy. The only thing its doing sucessfully is draining the money of publishers who've been scared by DRM software traders, convincing them to buy their tripe.

Besides, most of the games that use it have been the definition of selling out. DRM isn't a dealbreaker for me but it certainly doesn't put the game in a good standing with me for a purchase. If it had lots of cool features to go with it (say maybe linux support) I'd be more forgiving but so far all the games have been consolised, unoptimised windows-only '10/10's as they're called. Not the kind of stuff I typically like to go near.

I'll never buy Denuvo games again.
    I like the game, good replay ability.

Good to hear. It ought since the series is known for that. :D
    The pricing practice is typical for games when it comes to DLC and season passes. Not condoning it, but Square Enix are far from the only ones who do this. Buy in bulk and save over individual purchases.

It's typical, sure. It's also good to break trends which I guess SE didn't seem interested in doing. And so I'll ignore the game based on this business model (among other things).
    The constant server connection is a gripe of mine but more on principal than actual inconvenience.

It's a bit more than a gripe in my books. Unless it's a free to play game or a game that's entirely about being online with other players then it's pretty much a dealbreaker. Why in the hell does a hitman game need a constant server connection. The answer is there's no reason. You'll miss out on online contracts? What's the problem with downloading them while you're online and then being able to play when you're offline? Some of my best gaming experiences I've had where when I had no internet connection, either from moving location or something else, some of the games being from this very series.

Oh well, I've got plenty of other things to play. Hopefully this will improve when all the episodes are released. Or I'll see it years from now for €3.95 with dropped servers and the DRM stripped. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I must be doing something wrong.

I can't seem to get the Silent Assassin - Suit only challenge complete.
    I don't kill anyone other than the targets in my suit, knock out a few guys and never have bodies found, never spotted. Its a real head scratcher.

Thats my usual after mission screen below.

1ZV5HVw.jpg

Edit: Just noticed I was spotted since I have 0 points under the spotted category. I replayed and got the challenge this time.

Security camera was what usually messed me up forgetting to get rid of the evidence / destroy tapes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Failsafe I'm surprised to see you picked this up considering how you were against the episodic structure especially considering you said you don't want to reward this structure of release...

tok9 wrote: »
    Failsafe I'm surprised to see you picked this up considering how you were against the episodic structure especially considering you said you don't want to reward this structure of release...

Thought he explained that a few posts up :confused:

I was of the same mind and also admitted I was wrong about this , it actually works really well on many levels.

Thought he explained that a few posts up :confused:

I was of the same mind and also admitted I was wrong about this , it actually works really well on many levels.

I don't see any explanation. I wouldn't consider 'reluctantly buying' being an explanation for going completely against what one said earlier.

I don't see any explanation. I wouldn't consider 'reluctantly buying' being an explanation for going completely against what one said earlier.
    Curiosity :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, there's something to be said for somebody admitting 'I was wrong on this one' :)

It's easy to gloat - a few of us did suggest it would almost certainly work after all :p - but yeah can't begrudge anybody publicly saying they were way off (unless it was fricking Nigel Farage or Boris Johnson, but we're talking video games as opposed to economic/social Russian roulette here!). But yeah, that's why I'd always be reluctant to jump on to a pre-release outrage brigade - sure, plenty of developer/publisher decisions ultimately transpire to have been made cynically, but others are worth giving a chance to. Hell knows we need a few more AAA franchises that are willing to experiment, whether with distribution models or their very form.

This isn't meant to be a gloat. I haven't even purchased Hitman yet, mostly as I'm more focused on other games.

It'd just be a nice change if people weren't so hyperbolic and black and white regarding regarding something. 'Gamers' are always accused of having a serious lack of will. Something we all saw with that Modern Warfare 2 boycott nonsense. It's no wonder publishers don't take people too seriously. Actions are stronger than words as they say.

I'm not going to lie, I was also tempted to make a Brexit remark in one of the earlier posts.

• Advertisement

This isn't meant to be a gloat. I haven't even purchased Hitman yet, mostly as I'm more focused on other games.

It'd just be a nice change if people weren't so hyperbolic and black and white regarding regarding something. 'Gamers' are always accused of having a serious lack of will. Something we all saw with that Modern Warfare 2 boycott nonsense. It's no wonder publishers don't take people too seriously. Actions are stronger than words as they say.

I'm not going to lie, I was also tempted to make a Brexit remark in one of the earlier posts.

I wouldn't point to fan reaction as being hyperbolic in this instance.

Its important to remember how the game release structure was being frequently changed pre-launch and a lot of mixed messages were broadcasted. It became apparent that the devs were behind in the development of the game which was then confirmed post launch when they didn't stick with their release schedule for each episode.

I am delighted with how the game plays in an episodic release format but lets be real about it, the launch was possibly one of the worst I have ever seen. If you are taking a game franchise which has been around for 16 years and changing it from a full game into an episodic format you better have your A games in full effect.

Their constant restructuring of the game release format was damaging customer confidence in the product. Fans were left wondering... will the content be good, is there enough content, what are they hiding, why did they change format yet again, something is wrong with the game, etc, etc.

Now they have to win back fans like me one at a time.

Doesn't sound like they had to do much to win you back so.

Doesn't sound like they had to do much to win you back so.

I very reluctantly made the purchase for just the intro pack on Steam. I can play any game on Steam for 2-3hrs and request a refund if I am not happy so I had nothing to lose with trying it.

I played the intro pack for roughly 20hrs before purchasing the upgrade pack and purchased the intro pack 3 months after launch.

For me, a Hitman fan, that is an incrediblely cautious purchase and the devs had to do a lot to get me to buy the game.

If the devs/publishers hadn't made such a disaster of a launch I would have had it pre-ordered for launch day.

I'm sure there are many like us who didn't buy the BS line the devs attempted to sell us pre launch and the decision to split it up and remain sceptical, and maybe rightly so these days.

I'm glad temptation got the better of me and played it, I was of the mind ah it's only 9.99 to see what it's like ..... 15 of play hours later I got the rest :D

I think this form for release for it definitely rewards someone like me who would normally just play though a game to the end , mop up achievements and move on. I won't like to see it become the norm for the release of games but in this case they took a chance and and for me it works. I've alread put more than twice the time into it as Absolution I'd say.

I did get a survey a few weeks back from them so it also gives them a chance to respond to feedback and alter the game slightly to improve the next episodes.

One think I'd like to see is the elusive targets being made permanent and not timed. They likely will eventually I'd say. Last one in Italy I found really challenging and died making my exit. You can quit and retry but if you die you can't :(

Bonus Summer Episode out tomorrow. Not tied to the story and will have 2 new missions in Sapienza and Marrakesh.

Free for people who have the full game or Intro + Upgrade pack. Will have a paid version later for everyone else and will have 3 missions at that point. So probably released after the Thailand episode in August.

Also after a vote Gary Busey will be this weeks elusive target.

Ha, this should be fun :D

You Have 7 Days to Kill Gary Busey in Hitman, Starting This Week

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/you-have-7-days-to-kill-gary-busey-in-hitman-start/1100-6441909/

• Advertisement

LMAO, watch from 0:25 sec.

Oh reminds me to try this one, I wish they weren't timed. I don't mind you can't save and have to do a perfect run but seems a waste not to let you replay them etc.

Anyone else get a survey email from square/io ?

Mostly focused on the episodic release. I'm one of many who ate their hat over that. Wonder how it's doing for them as I'm sure there are many who didn't bother with it because of the release method. Which is a shame as it's proving to be a worthwhile move , just wish they'd made the elusive targets permanent additions instead of timed. I'm sure they will all be there by the end of the season but still I like the one shot no save element just not the 72 hours and no replay part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

https://steamdb.info/app/236870/history/ http://archive.is/bXhlq

Looks like there might be linux support. I hope this means a simultaneous relaxation of the DRM.

That VHS tape in Sapienza in the house. LMAO when I watched it.

• Advertisement

Anyone else play Thailand yet? Found it very easy on my 1st run blind , found
    exterminator and went with that , gassed both targets at the same time
    and I was out of there. Some interesting looking opportunities but the level as a whole is way too similar to Paris for my liking, disappointingly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Enough of this is out now so:

Is it worth it? €40 on steam inc eps 2 to 7

dreamers75 wrote: »

I've about 50 hours clocked on it so far and don't have the bonus stuff from a few weeks ago. Even if it wasn't episodic I'd say this, if you're the type to just go kill the targets and move to the next level or are looking for really deep story then it's not worth it but I'd guess you're the type to replay this for the challenges or different approaches so for 40 quid I'd say it'd pretty decent value.

I have 55 hours played and I am just on episode 3. Lots and lots to do in every episode. I like it when I replay a mission from another angle and learn something new about the targets or their situation.

I'd agree with the poster above. If you just want to fly through episodes then there isn't much there for you.

Oh that Drop the Bass achievement / trophy in episode 4 is all kinds of rage :mad:

You have to kill both targets at the same time by
    dropping coconuts on them
    ties into one of the opportunities
    you knock everyone out as the bug exterminator then have to drag the 2 unconscious targets into position and shoot the coconuts out of the tree so they fall on them
    easy except for the fact that you get bodies found from people seeing in from adjacent busy rooms, no way to do it clean. Got it eventually after I worked out how to remove the randomness of them both being in the same room. Rage or not I really enjoyed my 15GS for that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I've enjoyed my first play through of Thailand. I notice there is less stuff lying around than in earlier missions. Couldn't find any poison for example. It is similar enough to Paris, big old building with the same kind of movement limitations, but still fun.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I've enjoyed my first play through of Thailand. I notice there is less stuff lying around than in earlier missions. Couldn't find any poison for example. It is similar enough to Paris, big old building with the same kind of movement limitations, but still fun.

If you unlock challenges in the earlier missions you'll have a full suite of poisons to equip in the planning phase of any new missions.

If you unlock challenges in the earlier missions you'll have a full suite of poisons to equip in the planning phase of any new missions.

Yeah think thats how I did the lethal poisoning in this , added to an ICA pick up during planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah, I'm gonna sit down tomorrow and try get some more unlocks. I'm getting some weird graphics bug which makes the game slightly unpleasant to play, which makes replaying hard.

Sept. 27 for the next episode. Which will be set in Colorado, which looks to be more like Marrakesh in that it's spread out and less vertical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sept. 27 for the next episode. Which will be set in Colorado, which looks to be more like Marrakesh in that it's spread out and less vertical.

I like that. Lot to explore and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Being set in Colorado, I'll be disappointed if the possibility of using poisoned cannabis brownies to take out your target isn't included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Dair76 wrote: »
    Being set in Colorado, I'll be disappointed if the possibility of using poisoned cannabis brownies to take out your target isn't included.

Or use of an RPG,

You know for hunting bears n stuff.

It'll have scarecrows !!!!! Best bit from Absolution right there so hope it's as good in this :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I was on the proverbial fence about this since it came out and I think I'm just gonna cave and buy it. Does anyone know where abouts is selling this cheap on console?

Episode 5 is out . 7.3gb update and thats before I buy the episode so unlikely I'll get to play it tonight :(

Final episode is up now.

So far I have 80 hours played and still an episode left to play and loads of other activities to complete.

If anyone is still on the fence I recommend jumping in. It's been a great Hitman experience.

Final episode is up now.

So far I have 80 hours played and still an episode left to play and loads of other activities to complete.

If anyone is still on the fence I recommend jumping in. It's been a great Hitman experience.

Have it ready to go. Hope the escalation isn't big a pain in the arse as the last one.

EDIT: Now this is done, I can say with certainty if you are getting to this to play start to finish as a story don't bother, it's 90% game 10% story, and most of the content comes from replaying the missions in different ways / kills. The content is 100% great and replay is 100% too but if I'm honest I'm not sure this will work as well as one big chunk as opposed to playing it as it came out. With 99% of games the point is to achieve the objective and move to the next one right away, here you'd be done in 5 or 6 hours I'd say if thats the approach.

I ate my hat on it's episodic release to the point that I'm now saying I actually don't think it will work as well as a complete package :s

EDIT: Herself played through this over the last few nights having only previously played the intro and was pleased with it. So guess I ate my hat again :D

OMG

This is brilliant!!!!

Only played a few levels and have the full season to work through, I know I missed the weekly targets but this is a well made game.

• Advertisement

OMG

This is brilliant!!!!

Only played a few levels and have the full season to work through, I know I missed the weekly targets but this is a well made game.

Have you tried the escalations? I think they were my most loved/hated part of it. No saving just doing it in one with an extra requirement each time.

There is an elusive target this week you can hunt down , I f'd it up so he's away for me ... bastard :mad:

Have you tried the escalations? I think they were my most loved/hated part of it. No saving just doing it in one with an extra requirement each time.

There is an elusive target this week you can hunt down , I f'd it up so he's away for me ... bastard :mad:

Nah have the training levels done, creatively at that :D Chess dude wasnt expecting the Colonel to kill him :D

Reckon I have a fair few levels to get into. But the game gives me options blood money style options.

Not sure If I was right not to get it as a episodic thing, the idea of going back to it every few months has clearly worked.

Nah have the training levels done, creatively at that :D Chess dude wasnt expecting the Colonel to kill him :D

Reckon I have a fair few levels to get into. But the game gives me options blood money style options.

Not sure If I was right not to get it as a episodic thing, the idea of going back to it every few months has clearly worked.

Yeah as i said earlier I ate my hat on the episodic aspect. I liked it made me replay the game level for all opportunities and level 5 escalation achievements on each of them. Made sure I saw every thing that needed to be seen. I liked doing suit only runs and did 2 kill everyone on the level ones.

I know folks hated opportunities but you can turn off a lot of stuff and play without prompts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Lads, how big are the episodes on steam? It's going for €25 now and I'm interested but not if every one of them is 30-50gb to download....

Agricola wrote: »
    Lads, how big are the episodes on steam? It's going for €25 now and I'm interested but not if every one of them is 30-50gb to download....

Entire game was 35gb with all seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Entire game was 35gb with all seasons.

Grand, I checked individual specs on steam and they were saying 50gb space required, wondered could that be for each one!

Great stuff, will pick that up today.

• Advertisement

Just bought for 50% off on Steam, downloading now. Looking forward to giving it a go this evening, have heard such good things.

Completed the "game" or all the missions called Story, excellent way to get into the game. Now for some of the challenges.

Killed this weeks elusive target with a Chandelier, which actually never gets old. I actually fcuked it up but managed to pull it out of the fire, by dropping 3 or 4 waiters and 2 bodyguards then switching disguise and dropping the chandelier on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Bought it yesterday. Was eyeing it for a while.
    Really enjoying it, I can see so much replayability in the levels that it obviously lends itself perfectly (maybe moreso than any game I can think of) to episodic releases.

My advice to new players who have bought the full game would be to aim to get level 15-20 for each episode before moving on to the next.

If you hit level 20 (Mastery level) you unlock a piece of equipment or weapon that can be used in later missions.

My advice to new players who have bought the full game would be to aim to get level 15-20 for each episode before moving on to the next.

If you hit level 20 (Mastery level) you unlock a piece of equipment or weapon that can be used in later missions.

Remote breaching charge is a must for one of the escalations not sure where I got that from, sapienza maybe. Never once used it as intended but was essential for the Japan escalation where
    you had to take out targets via an accident or with kitana and then a 60 second time limit to open the safe , there was some shenanigans with a fire extinguisher required too
    I didn't figure that out on my own had to look it up but pure genius.

Also the gun that
    can't be detected in a body search
    was really handy there too.

Edit: Think they have a few more of the escalations added so I must go back to it this week. I both loved and hated them, the US one was a bloody nightmare with that pain in the ass
    stalker you couldn't kill or subdue

• Advertisement
Advertisement