Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VirginMedia@360M - Compal Modem / Hub 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Is this using your own router or the Hub?

Direct end to end devices, VM router to my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I played with the Hub WiFi Settings for a while because I really would just like to use it instead of investing into a separate AC router.

So I put the 5 GHz network into "802.11 ac" only and now my speedtest on the AC compatible devices are wonderful, I'm getting up to 315 / 33 Mbps via Wifi. The Apple TV on the other side of the house is streaming wonderful from a NAS connected to the HUB.

As soon as I change the 5 GHZ network back to the "802.11 a/n/ac mixed" speed tests are back down to 25/23 Mbps, so it looks like the hub does not like mixed network and bumps all the devices down to slower connection.

I can see that with mixed my laptop only connects to 300 Mbps, while with "ac only" it connects with 800 Mbps.

Now for the 2.4 GHz network, the performance is still bad, most devices only connect with 39 Mbps, even when they are next to the hub, need to tinker with it and see if I can get that better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Glad I decided to keep the tp link

So I changed 2.4 GHz to a different channel (which was recommended by a wifi analyzer) and "n only".

Voila devices now connect with 78-144 Mbps and speedtest are 69/18 Mbps.

This hub really seams to have problems with mixed enviroments and interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As soon as I change the 5 GHZ network back to the "802.11 a/n/ac mixed" speed tests are back down to 25/23 Mbps, so it looks like the hub does not like mixed network and bumps all the devices down to slower connection.

Mixed mode has never really worked one, one shít client and everyones in the dark age.

I keep anything that isnt new and proven off 5Ghz, decent kit only.

If you live in an apartment block or terraced house 2.4 can unfortunately be considered almost dead though, unfortunately, so you may not have that choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

I got confirmation today of the delivery of my new modem tomorrow.... however I am wondering how this will look like as I currently have a horizon box at home. Will they replace the horzion box or do I have to install the modem parallel to the box? Anybody in the same boat as me and has any experience how that will look like?

ED E wrote: »
    Mixed mode has never really worked one, one shít client and everyones in the dark age.

I keep anything that isnt new and proven off 5Ghz, decent kit only.

If you live in an apartment block or terraced house 2.4 can unfortunately be considered almost dead though, unfortunately, so you may not have that choice.

My old netgear never had the problem.

However now that I have done the configuration changes to the HUB it is working really well.

I'm streaming via a Sonos Bridge to 4 speakers internet HD radio, to 1 Speaker FLAC from the NAS, the Apple TV (AC) is streaming a NAS movie fine with no skipping when forwarding, the other Apple TV (3rd Gen) is streaming Netflix just fine and the Skype For Business Phone call I am on right now is also of good quality.

I think I give this a couple of days to see how it continues and than see if I need a new router to make the leap into AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My Dad just text me about this 360mb. He got it today after having a TIFF with loyalty department.

Any indication how existing customers avail of this ?

Interesting following the new hardware too. Is it required for the 360mb or do existing supplied routers work?

For 360 you need the new hub.

Existing customers can upgrade with a new 12 month contract but no equipment fee.

For 360 you need the new hub.

Existing customers can upgrade with a new 12 month contract but no equipment fee.

Yeah so ive been told different.

For me to get 360mbs at all I've to forfeit my existing promotion and move to a new package that doubles my monthly fee.

Onto a rep now as promotion locks were not explicit for the last two contracts I entered, and having a quick glance at my T&Cs not seeing it defined either.

They were more then happy to offer me a promo, onto an existing one, to get me onto their mobile and a new 18 month contract.

So this excuse that I'd have to forfeit my existing promotion (because you cant tske a promotion onto an existing one)doesn't really wash with me.

So basically no upgrade option, since why the hell would I pay double my monthly fee for a small increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Anyone here,with the new HUB found out if the device works at 1Gb Full Duplex OR 1Gb Half Duplex on the LAN side !?
    The light on my switch indicates half-duplex for the router.
    Not a big issues just wodnering why .

Anyone here,with the new HUB found out if the device works at 1Gb Full Duplex OR 1Gb Half Duplex on the LAN side !?

Assume youve tried a cable swap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Check all cables you are using is at least cat5e or better use Cat 6 cables

What's the wireless signal strength with the new Hub like for 2.4ghz and 5ghz compared to the horizon box router

Has anyone done a distance test
    For both signal and speed tests to see its performance at different floor levels and outside back garden etc

paulboland wrote: »
    What's the wireless signal strength with the new Hub like for 2.4ghz and 5ghz compared to the horizon box router

Has anyone done a distance test
    For both signal and speed tests to see its performance at different floor levels and outside back garden etc

This is a quick test only.

2.4 GHz (set to N only)

iPad
    50 meters away from the upstairs Hub in the garden signal very weak, getting 0.78 / 0.91 Mbps.
    10 meters away from the hub on the same floor I'm getting 27/32 Mpbs.

Windows 10 Phone
    30 meters away from the upstairs Hub in the back of my house I'm getting -89 dBm signal strength with 12/12 Mbps.
    1 meter away form the upstairs Hub on the same floor I'm getting -49 dBM signal strength with 24/21 Mbps.

5 GHz (set to AC only)

Laptop
    1 meter away from the hub on the same floor connects with 866 Mbps to the hub, speed results similar to LAN with 346/35 Mbps.

Apple TV
    About 8 meters away 1 floor down 315/33 Mbps

Hope that helps, I will do some more testing over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Hi Guys,

I need to upgrade a laptop to take account of my expected new router's ac capabilities.
    This particular laptop - HP ZBook 15, has a Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 wlan Half pci card.

I think that the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 will be my best bet ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-7260-HMWWB-Wireless-AC-802-11ac-Bluetooth/dp/B00HO5UMUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452246827&sr=8-1&keywords=Intel+Wireless-AC+7260+2x2

http://www.komplett.ie/intel-draadloze-ac-wifi-en-bluetooth-adapter-pci-e-mini-card-1-0/20447808/details.aspx

Will this be the best option ?

Thanks ..

Seems trying multiple avenues of Virgin contact didn't get me anywhere.

Pretty much tied into my current 240mb until end of contract.

Two options provided to me(existing customer, take what stake you want from being 20+yrs a customer from the original company through all the buyouts)

1) Cancel my current package and moved onto a package basically there for new customers. €95 a month and I get about the same service provision and the 360mb. However additional costs for my two Virgin mobile plans

2) Drop TV and keep everything else I have, for €60 a month. But pay a €200 cancellation fee for breaking early from contract.

Pretty disappointing. Usually defend UPC/Virgin through the price hikes and stuff because I've always been looked after. first time I've received a stone walling, and find it a bit incredible there is no viable offer for existing customers who are on the package they forcefully pushed early last year.

No major deal I guess, just hate not being on the current high end BB speeds. Will revisit my package and bundles when I get to end of contract. My Horizon TV package is still sitting in the wrapper.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TheDoc wrote: »
    1) Cancel my current package and moved onto a package basically there for new customers. €95 a month and I get about the same service provision and the 360mb. However additional costs for my two Virgin mobile plans

Could you drop the two Virgin Mobile plans and go with ID mobile instead?

Virgin Mobile is €25 per month, ID mobile are currently offering half price plans for 6 months, so unlimited calls, texts and 20GB data for €15

Virgin 25 × 12 = 300
    ID (15 × 6) + (30 × 6) = 270

So ID would be cheaper over a year and of course it is a 30 day contract, so nothing stopping you moving back to Virgin (or another company) after the 6 months).

Might at least help out a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bk wrote: »
    Could you drop the two Virgin Mobile plans and go with ID mobile instead?

Virgin Mobile is €25 per month, ID mobile are currently offering half price plans for 6 months, so unlimited calls, texts and 20GB data for €15

Virgin 25 × 12 = 300
    ID (15 × 6) + (30 × 6) = 270

So ID would be cheaper over a year and of course it is a 30 day contract, so nothing stopping you moving back to Virgin (or another company) after the 6 months).

Might at least help out a little.

Why would anyone do that, isnt ID Three ? and from my own experience three is a horrendous network.

listermint wrote: »
    Why would anyone do that, isnt ID Three ? and from my own experience three is a horrendous network.

ID = TM = VM = Lyca = Blueface = Postfone. They're all MVNOs on Three.

Only people not on threes network are Meteor/Emob and Vodafone.

• Advertisement

This hub has some strange behavior which continues to make my day.

I assigned a static IP to my NAS in the NAS and the speed dropped to 1/2 of what I had with DHCP. Assigning an IP via the reserve rule in the Hub for the NAS and I got the speed back to normal.

My Sonos Devices (going via a Boost on a LAN port) all work fine (even with FLAC streaming) but the HUB says they are connected as 10 Mbps devices if they are more than 10 meters away. The one near the router shows up as 1000 Mbps. Not that it matters, they work but it's strange.

My Apple TV (4th Gen) only connects to the 2.4 GHz network unless I go into the Hub Wireless/Security settings and deny it the 2.4 GHz network which than forces it onto 5 GHz where it get's excellent speed (8 meters away connects with 866 Mpbs to WiFi and does 315/33 Mbps
    internet.

If you do any changes to the IP configuration of the device you are accessing the HUB configuration from make sure you log out because otherwise you can't log onto the page for about 10 minutes as it allows only 1 login at a time.

However the throughput on the 5 GHz AC network is excellent, my Apple TV is streaming from the internet without any issues, from the NAS I have even big movies without a problem.

Now the throughput on 2.4 GHz N is temperamental and seams to be influenced by rain and magic. I can't get consistent performance, sometimes it's excellent and the next minute it's not.

If the 2.4 is erratic limit it to narrow bands, itll collide less and often be significantly more stable.

Really dislike the use of the term hub, a hub is something else in networking terms that this most certainly is not.

ED E wrote: »
    If the 2.4 is erratic limit it to narrow bands, itll collide less and often be significantly more stable.

Really dislike the use of the term hub, a hub is something else in networking terms that this most certainly is not.

Still playing with the settings of the 2.4 to see how I can improve it because if I get that fixed, the "Virgin Media Hub 3.0" works for me as it does my main things (Skype for Business, Sonos, Apple TV) without problems.

I got it today and I have to say the wireless performance on 5ghz outclasses the Horizon box. However... if you have a Horizon Box and you upgrade to 360 mention to them to make sure to put a splitter into the box.... they forgot it for me and after a call said it will be delivered within 24 hours but atm I disconnect my TV to play around with the new modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Rokta wrote: »
    I got it today and I have to say the wireless performance on 5ghz outclasses the Horizon box. However... if you have a Horizon Box and you upgrade to 360 mention to them to make sure to put a splitter into the box.... they forgot it for me and after a call said it will be delivered within 24 hours but atm I disconnect my TV to play around with the new modem.

You should be able to pick up a splitter in Maplin, cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

Arriving next Monday. Will go straight to bridge mode.. pfSense will take care of the routing and have a UniFi AC access point up so who cares.. ;)

paulheu wrote: »
    Arriving next Monday. Will go straight to bridge mode.. pfSense will take care of the routing and have a UniFi AC access point up so who cares.. ;)

For a home network that is a nice setup.

I made some changes to the 2.4 GHz network settings in the "Virgin Media Hub 3.0" (Channel/Band) and now my devices get a nice 56/36 near the hub and 41/36 at the other side of the house.

It helped also that I moved the Sonos Boost (which creates a mesh Wifi Network) further away from the "Virgin Media Hub 3.0".

So for my entertainment / office setup the "Virgin Media Hub 3.0" is good enough at this point, let's see how it continues to behave if there is more stress.

You should be able to pick up a splitter in Maplin, cheap enough.

Did that just this morning, working fine now. The setup instructions are not specific to Horizon users. The Horizon modem will be deactivated remotely once the new modem is hooked up but wifi is not. Also you will have to connect the horzion box to the router via lan cable and set it up into lan mode to avail of the DNLA player in the box. Once this is done all is fine..... I just have to wait that they upgrade the line to 360..... However the quality of the 240 line improved with the new modem.

I have horizon Box and broadband is still active on that

I got the new virgin hub delivered today
    I connected up but got no network

I rang Virgin and they told me I have to wait 48 hours for the virgin hub network be active
    They have to disable horizon network for me first to get the virgin hub network active

This is crazy it should not take 48 hours in my opinion

Also today I'm noticing my horizon upload speed is 19mb -20mb when it was always 24mb

• Advertisement

That is somehow silly.... took them about 10 minutes to deactivate my Horizon Box but I am still on 240 instead of 360...

Advertisement