Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VirginMedia@360M - Compal Modem / Hub 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Karsini wrote: »
    Nope, not hidden at all. :)

Log in and you see a modem mode option on the left. The power light changes colour when bridged. It's normally white but changes to a purple or pink colour.

Cool.. thanks. I couldn't use any ISP router at this stage. I use came across the instructions page for this online actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its proper bridging as per the relevant RFCs, you can actually have a few routers hanging off it if needed (I have my samknows box like that so its entirely independent of my network).

ED E wrote: »
    Its proper bridging as per the relevant RFCs, you can actually have a few routers hanging off it if needed (I have my samknows box like that so its entirely independent of my network).

That's the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

oisin wrote: »
    Got the Compal Modem today, set it up, everything working fine, great speed on both ethernet and wireless except for one problem, I can't get into the configuration. Log into 192.168.0.1, accept English as the language, then it asks for the password. Type in the password on the bottom of the router but it says wrong password. I've turned the power off numerous times, pressed the reset button but it won't accept the password. I got past it after one reset, then it asked for a new password, set a new password, then it won't accept either the new one or the old one. Tried UPC support, they say everything looks fine from their end.

All I can think of is the router was shipped with the wrong password on the bottom. Anyone else had this problem with the Compal? or any idea how to resolve it?

At the log-in stage is the username/password not "admin"?

Plascebo wrote: »
    At the log-in stage is the username/password not "admin"?
    No, the Compal has a unique password for every device, printed on a label on the bottom. No username either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

The password is an 8-digit one on the underside. If this doesn't work, hold in the reset button for 60seconds and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Got this router yesterday - not that technical so some basic questions all my devices connect over wifi - we have the phone service as well. Just reading up on how to connect to the router- in order to get the best speed over Wifi - what do I need to do? Last night got a fastest speed of 94.98 download once off but all the other tests I got around the 30 mark for download and upload ping 8.

The password is an 8-digit one on the underside. If this doesn't work, hold in the reset button for 60seconds and try again.

I'd this not the wifi password though as opposed to the login password?

I'd this not the wifi password though as opposed to the login password?
    No, the wifi password and login password are different on mine.

The wifi password is all letters.

The admin password is all numbers.

• Advertisement

The wifi password is all letters.

The admin password is all numbers.

That's unusual.. Its normally generic.
    However, new hub prob means gearing up for better things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Sometimes it just picks what it sees as the best.

If you still want the same network name for both bands you could force it to connect to 5 only.

You should go into

Advance Settings
    Wireless
    Security
    Wireless MAC Filtering

If for example have configured it to deny and than put one device that always picked 2.4 over 5 to be denied the 2.4, it now always goes on the 5.

Brilliant advice, works a treat.

A reference post.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Got the Compal router this week. Previously I was using a TP-LINK Archer C9 connected to an Horizon box. I could login to the C9 on 192.168.0.1. I setup the Compal which uses the same IP to login and I could access the Compal fine. I put the Compal into bridge mode, the light on the front went violet and then I connected the C9 to the Compal. Everything works fine and I get 370Mb down and 37Mb up. I get full speed up and down over wireless on my Intel NUC which is about 10 feet away in the same room, the Compal doesn't show up in the list of available wireless devices to connect to, so I presume bridging is working fine.

I can access the C9 now on the IP 192.168.1.1, but I can no longer access the Compal configuration. Is that normal for a device when it's bridged? If so how do I login to the Compal if I wanted to turn off bridging? Does a factory reset set it back to router mode? I know bridging turns off DHCP server, firewall and NAT features but is there a way of accessing its configuration? I tried connecting it directly to a PC and logging in on 192.168.0.1 without success. I presume it's now just a pass through device and doesn't have an IP.

Try 192.168.100.1, cable modems traditionally use it and it looks like the compal modem does when in modem mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

cisk wrote: »
    Try 192.168.100.1, cable modems traditionally use it and it looks like the compal modem does when in modem mode.

That was quick! Thanks cisk. That works fine.

Have to say the help on this thread is immense. Thanks to the usual lads, be lost without ye !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Word of warning, I ordered 360mb on Friday with a TV package. They sent a horizon box with 16 downstream channels, model SMT-G7401. Wireless N only, no 5ghz. Obviously no bridging. Cancelling the lot and sending it back.

The days of handing out sub-par devices still seems to be UPC/Virgins game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Word of warning, I ordered 360mb on Friday with a TV package. They sent a horizon box with 16 downstream channels, model SMT-G7401. Wireless N only, no 5ghz. Obviously no bridging. Cancelling the lot and sending it back.

The days of handing out sub-par devices still seems to be UPC/Virgins game.

They sent you the wrong thing is all. You have to get and use the Compal with 360 meg
    Edit, read your thread on the VM sub forum... I guess you dont need a compal... Such an awkward company to deal with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

They sent you the wrong thing is all. You have to get and use the Compal with 360 meg

SMT-G7401
    He was supplied the Horizon V2 is an updated version it's capable of 360Mb
    He was sent the new Horizon Box it's smaller than the previous Horizon Box SMT-G7400

How good the Horizon V2 I be interested to know as I have the V1 (SMT-G7400)
    The 5Ghz on the SMT-G7400 I found for wireless 5Ghz N was good
    It looks as if 5Ghz is not enabled yet with the V2 (SMT-G7401) as of yet
    This was the same with the V1 until a firmware update

I myself got the Compal Wireless Router and have it in Modem Mode and connected to an Asus Ac3200 Router

The Compal router is good for most on it's own but having the ability to use modem mode was the reason I upgraded to 360Mb so I could use my own wireless router to have full control

The only issue i'm seeing is peak hours congestion in the evenings and weekends in my area which happens every time they have broadband speed increased in my area as I suspect it's capacity is not the best and needs to be upgraded

There is though issues with the Compal Modem/Router it needs some improvements and hopefully is due an firmware upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Wifi service crashed twice in the 5 minutes it was on. It wasn't even connected to anything. I have no interest in being a guinea pig for a overloaded piece of crap, the original was woeful and I'm not interested in finding out anything different here. I rang through to the cancellation department, compal modem on its way. After explaining to the Indian Rep that with a delivery of 3pm and a cancellation of 5pm within the 14 day rule, their 30 day notice didn't apply to me and that no charges were applicable for cancellation as I never utilized the service.

• Advertisement

My Compal unit arrived Sat and was easy to set up. Put in modem mode straight away as being able to get true bridge mode with my Asus AC68U was one of the main reasons for my upgrade also.
    My gigabit card in my pc seems to have packed in so unfortunately I can only get max 99 wired until my new one arrives this wk.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Brilliant advice, works a treat.

A reference post.

Thanks!

Just a quick note to say new modem requires a reboot every 2 days of so

Symptoms are the SID is still being broadcast but iPhone and other devices can't connect, keep saying password is incorrect and no amount of retries will solve. Only a reboot will solve.....anyone else find this?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

can't find a way to change the dns on new vm modem was so easy on last upc modem i had.they never took it back.does anyone know how to get old modem back working ive tired with no success.

can't find a way to change the dns on new vm modem was so easy on last upc modem i had.they never took it back.does anyone know how to get old modem back working ive tired with no success.
    You can't. Your service is tied to the modem's serial number. In any case, you need the new modem for 360Mb.

Do you really need to change the DNS?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Just a quick note to say new modem requires a reboot every 2 days of so

Symptoms are the SID is still being broadcast but iPhone and other devices can't connect, keep saying password is incorrect and no amount of retries will solve. Only a reboot will solve.....anyone else find this?

I don't have that symptom but my modem also requires regular restarts because the performance get's very bad on all devices after heavy usage on multiple devices.

Speed drops down to unreasonable performance, reboot and all back to excellent performance (with the exception of netflix during peak hours).

I'm going to buy a decent AC router and put this into modem mode, had enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You can't. Your service is tied to the modem's serial number. In any case, you need the new modem for 360Mb.

Some people prefer a reliable DNS provider giving how slow/unreliable VM are.

Sure one can edit each device but it would just be better to have the ability to do it on the modem.

Sure one can edit each device but it would just be better to have the ability to do it on the modem.
    Personally I've never had a problem with VM's DNS. Using public DNS providers can increase latency and also mess with anycast routing. For example, using Google DNS with Office 365 causes your requests to be forwarded to the Microsoft Amsterdam datacentre instead of Dublin, as seen below. autodiscover-emeawest.outlook.com is Dublin while autodiscover-emeacenter.outlook.com is Amsterdam.
    Default Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  192.168.181.5

> server 89.101.160.4
    Default Server:  ie-dub01a-dns01.upc.ie
    Address:  89.101.160.4

> autodiscover.outlook.com
    Server:  ie-dub01a-dns01.upc.ie
    Address:  89.101.160.4

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    [b]autodiscover-emeawest.outlook.com[/b]
    Addresses:  2a01:111:f400:9428::8
              2a01:111:f400:9851::8
              2a01:111:f400:8413::8
              2a01:111:f400:503c::8
              2a01:111:f400:527c::8
              2a01:111:f400:8800::8
              2a01:111:f400:5096::8
              2a01:111:f400:f213::8
              2a01:111:f400:5337::8
              2a01:111:f400:9850::8
    Aliases:  autodiscover.outlook.com
              autodiscover.geo.outlook.com
              autodiscover.outlook.com.glbdns2.microsoft.com

> server 8.8.8.8
    Default Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
    Address:  8.8.8.8

> autodiscover.outlook.com
    Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
    Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    [b]autodiscover-emeacenter.outlook.com[/b]
    Addresses:  2a01:111:f400:f381::8
              2a01:111:f400:8854::8
              2a01:111:f400:f214::8
              2a01:111:f400:530f::8
              2a01:111:f400:521f::8
              2a01:111:f400:511f::8
              2a01:111:f400:984f::8
              2a01:111:f400:9852::8
              2a01:111:f400:51f3::8
              2a01:111:f400:8814::8
    Aliases:  autodiscover.outlook.com
              autodiscover.geo.outlook.com
              autodiscover.outlook.com.glbdns2.microsoft.com

>

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VM DNS isnt slow, its their CPE thats unreliable and can make it appear slow.

In benchmarks theirs is several ms faster than using 8.8.8.8. I'm using theirs as primary and google as secondary to maximize reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

ive both upc and new vm modem.i change dns on modem to access uk tv apps and amazon prime on my fire tv stick its not working when i change dns directly on stick :(

• Advertisement

ive both upc and new vm modem.i change dns on modem to access uk tv apps and amazon prime on my fire tv stick its not working when i change dns directly on stick :(

Have u two separate subscriptions?
    I arrived home Saturday last to find my new VM modem delivered and my wife said to me "the wifi is off". The old upc routers lights were mostly off so my old modem was decommissioned already. When i plugged on the new one it worked fine.

Advertisement