Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VirginMedia@360M - Compal Modem / Hub 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Just about to sign up for Virgin - apologies if wrong thread - which modem / package should I be asking for if reliability / stability is my major concern? have heard some problems with some of their modems / routers? Thanks

So I am guessing if my current setup; Cisco 3925--bridged-->Asus AC66u goes tits up then this new VM Compal modem is the way to go, as it allows bridge mode?

cause I am hearing/reading conflicting posts about Virgin no longer allowing bridge mode.
    They blocked it for about a week at the end of October/start of November but got a fair bit of pressure on Boards and reversed it. The Compal can be bridged in the web UI like the Cisco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Karsini wrote: »
    No, that's the LAN side IP. What does the C9 show as the IP it's getting on the WAN port?

Red sounds like a problem, it normally goes purple when properly bridged.

Here's the WAN settings page. Doesn't look right ?

IP address: 10.95.197.5
    Subnet mask: 255.255.224.0
    Default gateway: 10.95.192.1

The light on front of the Compal is a pinky reddish colour, I guess you could call it purple ! Haha

Any ideas ?

Here's the WAN settings page. Doesn't look right ?

IP address: 10.95.197.5
    Subnet mask: 255.255.224.0
    Default gateway: 10.95.192.1

The light on front of the Compal is a pinky reddish colour, I guess you could call it purple ! Haha

Any ideas ?
    Hmm, I wonder if your account is in DS-Lite mode? Put the modem back in router mode and check the IP address in its interface. If it's an IPv6 address then you're on a DS-Lite link.

Hmm, I wonder if your account is in DS-Lite mode? Put the modem back in router mode and check the IP address in its interface. If it's an IPv6 address then you're on a DS-Lite link.

How can I change this if so? Thanks for he advice !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Is anyone having this happen when Compal is in modem only mode
    Its fine for a while and works no problem

Then the Compal is losing sync with the connection
    The internet goes offline and the internet and phone lights both goes green and then once its back the main light goes purple again

I have seen this happen a few times usually around the hour mark
    I have the compal in modem mode with the PC connected to Ethernet port 4 while I await delivery of my Asus wireless router

I have a new Asus Tri Band Router on its way to me but if the modem continues to lose connection that will be a big problem for my separate wireless router

I also noticed all ethernet ports still work in modem mode
    I thought when in modem mode only one ethernet port is meant to work as in ethernet port 4

Has anyone else had this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You get three usable addresses when you bridge.

Be careful connecting a desktop directly to a bridged unit, you're relying completely on the windows firewall to protect you :pac:

It may be your DHCP release on the hour mark thats causing the modem to re-sync as its going from in use to "idle" and back to in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

ED E wrote: »
    You get three usable addresses when you bridge.

Be careful connecting a desktop directly to a bridged unit, you're relying completely on the windows firewall to protect you :pac:

It may be your DHCP release on the hour mark thats causing the modem to re-sync as its going from in use to "idle" and back to in use.

That's fine I should be then Ok once I have the Asus Router as that will be doing the DHCP

How can I change this if so? Thanks for he advice !
    If you're on DS-Lite, send a PM to the VM reps on here and they can change you to IPv4.

Supplying an Archer C9.

Modem downstaits by front door. Test device (Macbook pro) upstairs bedroom. Bedroom door slightly open :P

Decent enough. 5GHz Wireless AC. Have it setup as a/n/ac shared. Would AC on its own be the better option for the 5GHz network, and leave it as b/g/n on the 2.4Ghz?

5028853363.png

• Advertisement

Supplying an Archer C9.

Modem downstaits by front door. Test device (Macbook pro) upstairs bedroom. Bedroom door slightly open :P

Decent enough. 5GHz Wireless AC. Have it setup as a/n/ac shared. Would AC on its own be the better option for the 5GHz network, and leave it as b/g/n on the 2.4Ghz?

5028853363.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dublindog

Sounds like you're on IPv6/DS-Lite. When you bridge in this mode, you can only access IPv6 sites unless you can configure the router to use the correct DS-Lite AFTR address.

If you are on DS-Lite, PM the VM reps and they'll put you back on IPv4.

Thanks for the advise Karsini. Moving back to IPv4 did the trick. Virgin media should get rid of their entire support department and just give all the money to you :-)

Got switched to IPv4 today according to the boards reps. Factory resetting the router to download the new profile as advised.

Still not getting an IP from the router after putting it into modem mode.

Here's what I get on the TP-Link WAN:

IP Address:
    46.7.10X.XXX

Subnet Mask:

Default Gateway:
    46.7.10X.X

Edit - It's miraculously working now. God knows how! Rebooted the router again and now we're flying.

Question - whats the difference or advantages between bridge mode, and just connecting the Compal router up with the Wifi disabled?

In bridge mode, the TP-Link router gets a direct connection to the internet. In router mode, it has to pass through two NAT devices and two firewalls, which can complicate things.

Since your TP-Link is getting a 46.7 address, you're definitely bridged.

Epic stuff. Thanks for the help sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Epic stuff. Thanks for the help sir.

You may want to go back and edit the first of the double post to remove the identifying IP address bits like you did with the second post. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14 joeylin101

Got switched to IPv4 today according to the boards reps. Factory resetting the router to download the new profile as advised.

Still not getting an IP from the router after putting it into modem mode.

Here's what I get on the TP-Link WAN:

IP Address:
    46.7.10X.XXX

Subnet Mask:

Default Gateway:
    46.7.10X.X

Edit - It's miraculously working now. God knows how! Rebooted the router again and now we're flying.

Question - whats the difference or advantages between bridge mode, and just connecting the Compal router up with the Wifi disabled?

Hi I have the same problem can you tell me how did you manage to download the profile for your modem and install the download profile.

Thanks

joeylin101 wrote: »
    Hi I have the same problem can you tell me how did you manage to download the profile for your modem and install the download profile.

Thanks

I sent a Pm to the Virgin Media reps on this forum and asked them to change me over to IPv4.

After that, you factory reset the router by holding in the reset button on the back for 60 seconds. You need a paper clip or something like that to press the reset button.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I sent a Pm to the Virgin Media reps on this forum and asked them to change me over to IPv4.

After that, you factory reset the router by holding in the reset button on the back for 60 seconds. You need a paper clip or something like that to press the reset button.

With the new hub you can actually factory rest it from the web interface.

Go to "Admin" than "Reload and Reboot" and you see a "Restore to factory defaults".

Any advice welcome on this one please guys.

On the one hand I am very happy with the speed upgrade but getting what look to be very very bad pre rs and post rs errors on the compal.
    See speedtest below which is great but the 'post rs' errors are after just 4 hours of uptime on compal. Sould changing the cable splitter help or could a dodgy cable from splitter to the cmapal be the cause?

2u6k60w.png
    16iw3f4.png

288mkja.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd check what packet loss is like, if its 0-2% over an extended period then its probably not worth worrying about.
    It's not unusual to have some errors on a RF/HFC Cable infrastructure and Pre-RS basically indicates Correctable Errors that hardware (automatically)corrects without any (significant) impact to user..... Post-RS (or uncorrectable) errors can be somewhat more concerning as these effectively result in missing/damaged data packets that a upper (tier of ISO protocol stack and/or) application level would need to re-transmit and hence could have some real impacts to user connection and quality of service.

If signalling at a rate of 4 million times every second 2000 noteable errors in 4hrs isnt huge. If you want to be a purist replace cables piece by piece and check counters at 1hr (reboot each time to reset counts).

ED E wrote: »
    I'd check what packet loss is like, if its 0-2% over an extended period then its probably not worth worrying about.

If signalling at a rate of 4 million times every second 2000 noteable errors in 4hrs isnt huge. If you want to be a purist replace cables piece by piece and check counters at 1hr (reboot each time to reset counts).

Very sensible advice, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Got the Compal Modem today, set it up, everything working fine, great speed on both ethernet and wireless except for one problem, I can't get into the configuration. Log into 192.168.0.1, accept English as the language, then it asks for the password. Type in the password on the bottom of the router but it says wrong password. I've turned the power off numerous times, pressed the reset button but it won't accept the password. I got past it after one reset, then it asked for a new password, set a new password, then it won't accept either the new one or the old one. Tried UPC support, they say everything looks fine from their end.

All I can think of is the router was shipped with the wrong password on the bottom. Anyone else had this problem with the Compal? or any idea how to resolve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Got mine today.
    I went into configuration and made sure both 2.4ghz and 5ghz are enabled.
    When I run a speed test on my iPhone 6 I'm only getting 35Mbps.

I had to give the 5ghz a new name and connect to it then.
    Any ideas why it won't select 5ghz if both are the same name?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

iggy wrote: »
    Got mine today.
    I went into configuration and made sure both 2.4ghz and 5ghz are enabled.
    When I run a speed test on my iPhone 6 I'm only getting 35Mbps.

I had to give the 5ghz a new name and connect to it then.
    Any ideas why it won't select 5ghz if both are the same name?

Sometimes it just picks what it sees as the best.

If you still want the same network name for both bands you could force it to connect to 5 only.

You should go into

Advance Settings
    Wireless
    Security
    Wireless MAC Filtering

If for example have configured it to deny and than put one device that always picked 2.4 over 5 to be denied the 2.4, it now always goes on the 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Hi guys,
    I'm currently on the 240Mb package wit the EPC3925 bridged to my Asus AC68U.

I went online to order the 360Mb upgrade and it added in a €60 activation fee. this went all the way to the end and gave no way of removing this fee so I cancelled. Theyre removing it over the phone for people though right?

Hi guys,
    I'm currently on the 240Mb package wit the EPC3925 bridged to my Asus AC68U.

I went online to order the 360Mb upgrade and it added in a €60 activation fee. this went all the way to the end and gave no way of removing this fee so I cancelled. Theyre removing it over the phone for people though right?
    I applied online and wasn't charged the €60. But I specified that I was an existing customer and entered my address.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Yes, I had the same problem. Got onto VM Sales and Loyalty Dept. ( sounds like they were in the Philippines or somewhere Asian) and they insisted I had to pay it. Was on online chat via the VM (UPC) Forum and the rep agreed it was an error on the webpage and that if I was charged it would be repaid (not looking forward to that when I get next months bill, but I have a transcript of the conversation) anyway went ahead and ordered on the phone, modem was delivered next morning at 9am and I was up and running with the full 360Mb by noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

oisin wrote: »
    Yes, I had the same problem. Got onto VM Sales and Loyalty Dept. ( sounds like they were in the Philippines or somewhere Asian) and they insisted I had to pay it. Was on online chat via the VM (UPC) Forum and the rep agreed it was an error on the webpage and that if I was charged it would be repaid (not looking forward to that when I get next months bill, but I have a transcript of the conversation) anyway went ahead and ordered on the phone, modem was delivered next morning at 9am and I was up and running with the full 360Mb by noon.
    I took a chance and ordered it anyway and Ithe long and short of it was that it said there was a €60 activation fee on the order and on the confirmation email it said there was none.
    Looking forward to tinkering with this now and seeing if iI can get bridge mode.
    Does anyone know if there's anymore info on this out there? Obviously it's gonna be shut out but there's prob a url u type in to get the hidden menus.

• Advertisement

Nope, not hidden at all. :)

Log in and you see a modem mode option on the left. The power light changes colour when bridged. It's normally white but changes to a purple or pink colour.

Advertisement