Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VirginMedia@360M - Compal Modem / Hub 3.0

Options

Comments

Have u two separate subscriptions?
    I arrived home Saturday last to find my new VM modem delivered and my wife said to me "the wifi is off". The old upc routers lights were mostly off so my old modem was decommissioned already. When i plugged on the new one it worked fine.
    Yep, when you accept delivery of the new modem, that's when they deactivate the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

I just got service last week with this HUB. On 2 occasions now in less than a week I am getting disconnected - not while I am using it, but when I come back after being out or in the morning. Its just dead, no internet. Login to router and it says online, internet available. but its not working. have to restart a couple of times for it to come back. This is via ethernet or via wireless, same thing happens. Does this happen to anybody else or any idea on cause/preventing it? It just comes back after a little while and is solid again

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aliaslinden

having some v strange behaviour with this router. On ethernet, sometimes I get ~300mb mark, other times I get as low as 60mb on ethernet. On 5ghz wifi , sitting beside the router, I get ~ 120mb on a macbook air. Around 50mb on wifi on an iPhone 6s in the same location right beside the router. Is this normal behaviour?

Having a truly harrowingly awful experience with customer care trying to get to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wice22

I've got my Virgin Media Hub 3.0 today
    with:
    Standard specification compliant : DOCSIS 3.0
    Hardware version : 4.01

as a part of upgrade to 360mbt package

Well what I can say ...

I was expecting Wi-fi speed to be better , but nope, With all my PC's Apple devices and mobiles,

the best I can get from Wi-fi is 42mbit, Same as it was before

The speed in wired mode was around 200 now it is 204 mbit down, I Don't see anything at all worth extra tenner a month ...

Some more options in router like resewing IP by MAC (handy for offices),
    Port triggering and mapping etc.. :) But Virgin Media :) Why someone would need port mapping If you do not support solutions for
    Dynamic IP's ? :)

they probably expect people use it in modem mode but again I believe all that may be done in router device....

Anyway, why I'm here, did anyone got better speed with Wi-fi ? , I'm hopping my router is faulty ....

I've got my Virgin Media Hub 3.0 today
    with:
    Standard specification compliant : DOCSIS 3.0
    Hardware version : 4.01

as a part of upgrade to 360mbt package

Well what I can say ...

I was expecting Wi-fi speed to be better , but nope, With all my PC's Apple devices and mobiles,

the best I can get from Wi-fi is 42mbit, Same as it was before
    Using 2,4 Mhz and can't go to 5, Router is Not a dual band, if 5 is enables 2,4 goes down so all devices supporting 2,4 can't connect to the net...an other Catch 44 ....

The speed in wired mode was around 200 now it is 204 mbit down, I Don't see anything at all worth extra tenner a month ...

Some more options in router like resewing IP by MAC (handy for offices),
    Port triggering and mapping etc.. :) But Virgin Media :) Why someone would need port mapping If you do not support solutions for
    Dynamic IP's ? :)

they probably expect people use it in modem mode but again I believe all that may be done in router device....

Anyway, why I'm here, did anyone got better speed with Wi-fi ? , I'm hopping my router is faulty ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It IS dual band. 2.4 is usually slow due to your neighbours, changing kit doesnt help that.

5Ghz speeds will be a lot better, its a good unit.

yes but Manual clearly says can be only one be enable at the same time

2.4 type or 5

if I go for 5 , My TV, Daughters Laptop, Older iPad, Blue ray player, few phones, will all goes down :)

well don't think my neighbors wi-fi interferes that much... even if between Laptop and router is 50cm test result is the same

any idea if some wi-fi extender may help ?...

P.S. 5Mhz one probably will help till all my neighbors also go for 5 :)))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

wice22 wrote: »
    yes but Manual clearly says can be only one be enable at the same time

2.4 type or 5

if I go for 5 , My TV, Daughters Laptop, Older iPad, Blue ray player, few phones, will all goes down :)

well don't think my neighbors wi-fi interferes that much... even if between Laptop and router is 50cm test result is the same

any idea if some wi-fi extender may help ?...
    It's Dual Band you can you use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi same time
    Best to create separate ssid for each with different names as in one for 2.4Ghz and one for 5Ghz

Use the 5Ghz ssid for devices that support 5ghz N/Ac WiFi and use the 2.4Ghz ssid for devices that only support 2.4Ghz as in B/G/N

Remember when using 2.4Ghz if any device in use is limited to wireless G speed all other devices connected to 2.4Ghz will reduce to this speed

5Ghz you should use if your device supports it

When using 2.4Ghz use wireless channel 1 or 6 or 11
    If your neighbour using channel 6 use channel 11 instead
    Leave 5Ghz WiFi channel to auto but if needed you can select a channel
    Inssider software or WiFi analyser you can use to find best channel

paulboland wrote: »
    It's Dual Band you can you use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi same time
    Best to create separate ssid for each with different names as in one for 2.4Ghz and one for 5Ghz

Use the 5Ghz ssid for devices that support 5ghz N/Ac WiFi and use the 2.4Ghz ssid for devices that only support 2.4Ghz as in B/G/N

Remember when using 2.4Ghz if any device in use is limited to wireless G speed all other devices connected to 2.4Ghz will reduce to this speed

5Ghz you should use if your device supports it

When using 2.4Ghz use wireless channel 1 or 6 or 11
    If your neighbour using channel 6 use channel 11 instead
    Leave 5Ghz WiFi channel to auto but if needed you can select a channel
    Inssider software or WiFi analyser you can use to find best channel

Done, it is dual band indeed :), did not mess with channels, set automatic but changed frequencies, for 2,4 from 20 to 40 and for 5 from 40 to 80, , done test, 2,4 gives 52mbit now, 5 gives 123.59 mbps, , so considering 150 mbps is best u can get with ipjone 6 , is not bad at all :), the only one issue I still have is dynamic IP :) , no way to track changes down

• Advertisement

Using wide bands (40Mhz) on 2.4 is often counter productive, you spend more time colliding than benefiting from the extra bandwidth.

I've got today AC600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter
    Archer T2U, so I'm having around 192.08 mbps with wifi on 5G, set VM router to work with n network only, so 2,4 is much better now, it was going down to G type cause of some old device i suppose.

I'm wondering what is the best speed I can get on that router trough Wi-Fi?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

Anyone having issues with their router the hub one for 360. Mine just randomly shut off and when I powered it back on it flashes white for a few seconds and then goes solid and nothing else happens. I have no connect and it detects no gateway at all. I have replaced numerous cables both Ethernet and coaxial and no have reset it a few times and it still won't do anything. Anyone know what to do! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

What happened to the good support we used to get as upc customers? Let's face it, it was never brilliant. I have never been so ignored and frustrated. I was on the phone to manila (phillapines) for 2.5 hours I felt like I was providing a educational lesson on computers, and networking , etc.. I feel so sorry for these people thrown in the deep end without a paddle it seems.

It's just a heads up, too let customers know what's ahead. If you have issues with compal router that Vm are currently providing with 360m package, it's troublesome as usual junk they provide. Dropped connection, no wireless coverage, among other issues.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Compal either. Ended up bridging it, at least it has that readily available.

Karsini wrote: »
    I wasn't overly impressed with the Compal either. Ended up bridging it, at least it has that readily available.

Do you notice regular T3 Times outs in the Compal Upstream Bonded Channels and Network Log

I have noticed after all 4 upstream channels have T3 Times Outs usually after around 1-2 weeks
    You get an issue with speedtest.net and get a socket-download01 - title' error

Turning off/on the compal solves the socket error with speedtest.net until new build up of T3 Timeout happen

I have my Compal in modem mode connected to an Asus Router
    The T3 Timeouts happen if the Compal is in router mode or modem mode
    So it looks as if there is issues with the Compal as some others also having this same issue

That should be denoting a physical problem, but rebooting shouldnt fix that.
    Explanation: The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also raise the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem’s power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R03.0, Ranging Request.

Wonder if the Compal is doing a Cisco and overheating...

Do you notice regular T3 Times outs in the Compal Upstream Bonded Channels and Network Log

I have noticed after all 4 upstream channels have T3 Times Outs usually after around 1-2 weeks

Turning off/on the compal solves the socket error with speedtest.net until new build up of T3 Timeout happen

So it looks as if there is issues with the Compal as some others also having this same issue

I thought it was just me! Getting the exact same issues with socket timeout if I run a speedtest. Doesn't matter if the compal is in router or moden mode it starts once the T3 timeouts happen which is about 1 every 3 or 4 days for me.

Going to test it this evening but I have a suspicion it may be overheating with resultant upstream timeouts after I do a sustained download at full speed for a short time.

I wasn't having this issue myself, not that I noticed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Compal vs Cisco modem?

• Advertisement

Joo0 wrote: »
    Compal vs Cisco modem?

COMPAL is only 360, Cisco is only 240 and older installs. No point comparing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Hmm, getting quite a few T3 + T4 timeouts here as well, bridged Compal to an Archer C7. Got the socket-download01 a a few times as well which never happened before getting the Compal. Also getting Pre-RS errors in the multiple billions on the download channels along with a few thousand post RS errors in approx 5 days of uptime.

dam099 wrote: »
    Hmm, getting quite a few T3 + T4 timeouts here as well, bridged Compal to an Archer C7. Got the socket-download01 a a few times as well which never happened before getting the Compal. Also getting Pre-RS errors in the multiple billions on the download channels along with a few thousand post RS errors in approx 5 days of uptime.
    Have you noticed issues with some Web pages slower to load at times but did not happen when using older upc router and video playback on some sites performance not as good as before

I notice I don't have issues with Internet only if I do a power off/on and it's then a few days later I start to notice performance issues begin to happen

The pre-rs count is always going to be high it's the post RS count that should ideally be 0 in optimal performance but most times these modems will have errors listed in the post RS count
    I did notice one day on one of the channels very high post RS count and had to power off/on to get performance back to normal

There is definitely performance issues with this Compal modem router
    I wonder is there any firmware updates going to be applied soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Have you noticed issues with some Web pages slower to load at times but did not happen when using older upc router and video playback on some sites performance not as good as before

I notice I don't have issues with Internet only if I do a power off/on and it's then a few days later I start to notice performance issues begin to happen

The pre-rs count is always going to be high it's the post RS count that should ideally be 0 in optimal performance but most times these modems will have errors listed in the post RS count
    I did notice one day on one of the channels very high post RS count and had to power off/on to get performance back to normal

There is definitely performance issues with this Compal modem router
    I wonder is there any firmware updates going to be applied soon

Am seeing some slow response times opening some web pages allright, had tried changing DNS to Google from UPC without much joy. Have noticed when it gets real bad a reboot seems to help.

Video is not too bad (other than Netflix when everyone was having the issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Anyone have issues where wireless just randomly stops working? no issues with ethernet and the only way to fix it is to restart it. VM say they only provide support for devices running default settings.. The only settings changed are said and disabled 2.4Ghz.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Anyone have issues where wireless just randomly stops working? no issues with ethernet and the only way to fix it is to restart it. VM say they only provide support for devices running default settings.. The only settings changed are said and disabled 2.4Ghz.

Yep, consistent problems with wireless

2.4 ghz seems better but then you lose the benefit of 5ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ocallagr

Having inconsistent performance from the new modem as well.

Also find that none of my devices with iplayer radio will connect at home. Fine in work or with a VPN enabled, but with a straight connection to the router it just does not connect. It's happening on multiple devices so it is not a setting.

Really strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

ED E wrote: »
    COMPAL is only 360, Cisco is only 240 and older installs. No point comparing really.

What about based on wireless performance etc? Is it worth upgrading from 240 to 360 to improve wifi signal?

What about based on wireless performance etc? Is it worth upgrading from 240 to 360 to improve wifi signal?

Wifi in the compal is dual band, supports AC and isnt nerfed by the lack of antennas. If you want better wifi that part is a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

No it still has familiar problems , router firmware was released pre beta or something , as loads of issues it seems .

Advertisement