Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall Warnings Jan 1st-3rd 2016: Latest Alert Post #91

Options

Comments

Is this a named storm or just some fronts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Is this a named storm or just some fronts?

Not a named storm. The depression is too far south to bring any strong winds here.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Gertrude is next storm, not sure if this is her or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just going by the cork flood alerts page there seems to be a few rivers bursting their banks. The glashaboy river in glanmire has burst its banks. Is the high tide around 10pm ? Hopefully the river lee doesn't burst its banks.
    Do rivers have a high tide as such?
    Or do they just go up and down pending rainfall?
    The rivers are effected by the tides. at low tides the river can empty quicker as such however when the tide is in the river backs up as such and slows water flow into the sea. this can cause flooding nearer the mouth of the river. the higher the tide the bigger the issue.
    as good as I can explain it. the rivers themselves don't have tides as such but they are effected by the sea tides.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It mentions Ballinacurra also, so I guess this means everywhere south of Ballinacurra and east to Ballycotton.

Is there any site that tells you which areas exactly are on which water scheme?
    Just said on the news it's the white gate scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

kippy wrote: »
    The rivers are effected by the tides. at low tides the river can empty quicker as such however when the tide is in the river backs up as such and slows water flow into the sea. this can cause flooding nearer the mouth of the river. the higher the tide the bigger the issue.
    as good as I can explain it. the rivers themselves don't have tides as such but they are effected by the sea tides.

Yes all rivers are tidal up to the point to where the tide turns. Above this they are non tidal. Example the river Suir. Tidal from Waterford up as far as Carrick on suir, but tide turns just a few miles west of Carrick so the river is non tidal in Kilsheelan and Clonmel. As you say, not so easy to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Constant rain and drizzle all day, a SE wind here always gives us lots of rain, currently 20mm of rain since midnight and still raining outside.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Very heavy rain here in Cork city at the moment,hasnt stopped all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

River lee looked ominous about 20mins ago. High tide at half ten.
    Cork always floods with an east wind
    Will it tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

River lee looked ominous about 20mins ago. High tide at half ten. Cork always floods with an east wind Will it tonight?

Would love to know if there was any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

aisling86 wrote: »
    Must have escaped

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Keep an eye on the Cork Flood Alerts page,great info on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There was a bit on the news about Galway County Council digging a channel in Kinvara to let off water, did anyone catch it or know whats going on? They're digging at Dunguaire Castle on the shores of Galway Bay and Im struggling to see what thats supposed to do, surely if that was the bottleneck there would be a flood there but its literally the shore of the bay...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thargor wrote: »
    There was a bit on the news about Galway County Council digging a channel in Kinvara to let off water, did anyone catch it or know whats going on? They're digging at Dunguaire Castle on the shores of Galway Bay and Im struggling to see what thats supposed to do, surely if that was the bottleneck there would be a flood there but its literally the shore of the bay...

https://www.facebook.com/ciaran.cannon/videos/10153785253043917/?fref=nf

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

South terrace up to the hospital is flooded according to cork flood alerts. Rutland street is flooded aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

Posting from Fenit, Kerry. Rain is incessant here tonight. Our door bell which has not worked for years is now ringing by itself every few minutes. Water must have gotten into the little box. Drove to kenmare earlier and the water streaming down from the mountain was unbelievable. This feels like an orange level event.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

kippy wrote: »

tidal rivers are just that, tidal, river is no different from a tidal perspective then a bay at sea , and hence rivers have tides upto the point where they are deemed non tidal . Ports on tidal rivers have tide tables just like anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

goodies wrote: »
    Posting from Fenit, Kerry. Rain is incessant here tonight. Our door bell which has not worked for years is now ringing by itself every few minutes. Water must have gotten into the little box. Drove to kenmare earlier and the water streaming down from the mountain was unbelievable. This feels like an orange level event.

I live in Kenmare. Always been a location with high rainfall but this winter has been extreme. Started raining today in the early morning and keep going all day. The land is saturated so any rain just hops off it and flows off the mountains at lightning speed. Also, the topography has been eroded to suit this rainfallover the millennia. This is what sets us apart from Athlone, Kilkenny etc, where they have slowly draining, non-flashy rivers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Stay safe. I noticed the Street Treats van had moved across the road. Years ago in Donegal. I looked out and saw that the field by the river where the landlord kept his twin lambs and their mothers for safety had literally vanished under water. Could not contact him and spent the next while down there, waist deep in icy water, getting ewes out. Poor girls were perched on hummocks.. All you do i pick the lambs up and they follow. A flash flood after dry weather. Rainfall pouring off the mountains By the time the landlord arrived the water had receded.This is the sudden danger in heavy rain. In areas like this. I am near Kenmare, near Blackwater Tavern, on high ground and no risk but that event in Donegal taught me so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Yesterday for me in the Dublin Mountains yesterday seemed the wettest most continuous rain for a long while. The ground is completely saturated and water is just flowing across the surface with nowhere to go but downhill. God love the people in the flood areas, seeing the footage of the floods makes me appreciate my mountain location where winds are the only real danger!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

Was another wild night near dingle. As bad as any in past week. Couldn't sleep with the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Slany bursting its banks in enniscorthy again this morning

https://www.facebook.com/southeastradio1/posts/1048391635212053

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

almost completely escaped the rain today and looks fairly dry after tonight
    much needed respite and my form is better !

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/defence-forces-out-in-big-numbers-from-today-to-help-flood-hit-communities-713820.html They look happy! Good and right that they are deployed like this. Respite here thankfully.. South Kerry mountains 400 asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Graces7 wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/defence-forces-out-in-big-numbers-from-today-to-help-flood-hit-communities-713820.html They look happy! Good and right that they are deployed like this. Respite here thankfully.. South Kerry mountains 400 asl.

May I ask, what exactly do the defence forces do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note

Keep on topic please - you can discuss the role of the defence forces here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=659

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Have to say the council did a good job of shoreing up the barrow in Carlow town. It used to flood badly with a lot less rain than we have seen this year. It has flooded a little but nowhere near as bad as it used to, I dread to think what would of happened if the work wasn't carried out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

New warning

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Cork and Kerry

Rainfall totals of 25 to 40 mm in 24 hours from midnight on Sunday, highest values over mountains in the west.

Issued:
    Saturday 02 January 2016 13:00
    Valid:
    Sunday 03 January 2016 00:01 to Sunday 03 January 2016 23:59

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

New warning

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Cork and Kerry

Rainfall totals of 25 to 40 mm in 24 hours from midnight on Sunday, highest values over mountains in the west.

Issued:
    Saturday 02 January 2016 13:00
    Valid:
    Sunday 03 January 2016 00:01 to Sunday 03 January 2016 23:59

That should read midnight on saturday surely!

Just drove from Kerry through mallow and mitchelstown etc. Roads were just about passable today, and quiet. But I don't think it will be any fun tomorro on those roads if the rainfall materialised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement