Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall Warnings Jan 1st-3rd 2016: Latest Alert Post #91

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

there should be some sort of fund set up for those people

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Many quiet hours during the night ( South Kerry mountains 400 asl ) then around 5 am deluges on and off. Thankfully we seem to have come of fairly lightly unlike Cork etc. I was just checking news and PAWS are appealing for people to help as a family being evacuated have been told they cannot take their pets with them. Another rain and wind warning out; one road in Killarney still flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Graces7 wrote: »
    Many quiet hours during the night ( South Kerry mountains 400 asl ) then around 5 am deluges on and off. Thankfully we seem to have come of fairly lightly unlike Cork etc. I was just checking news and PAWS are appealing for people to help as a family being evacuated have been told they cannot take their pets with them. Another rain and wind warning out; one road in Killarney still flooded.

I'd refuse to leave if I was told I couldn't take my pets. To many pet owners that's akin to being told to leave one of your kids behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Would anyone have any idea what the road from Dublin to Wexford is like/going to be like this morning between 11:00 and 13:00? Also returning that evening? I see @aaroadwatch's latest tweet says flooding has improved in Enniscorthy with no major issues, but the back road route is probably best anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The Shannon at Athlone is now at 5.85m which is the same as the record height in 2009.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000026027/0001/

At least it looks like there won't be any further rainfall warnings until Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Hodson Bay is still rising! http://waterlevel.ie/0000026088/0001/week/

All that water is all going into Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Well that was heavier rain then i expected, certainly made up for missing the rain on friday night, 2 days dry weather wiped out, more driveway flooding again

Calibos wrote: »
    I'd refuse to leave if I was told I couldn't take my pets. To many pet owners that's akin to being told to leave one of your kids behind.

My thoughts exactly... They say now the water has not risen as much as they feared.. My dog would swim or run after me and so would three of my cats who follow me when we walk..

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

Hodson Bay is still rising! http://waterlevel.ie/0000026088/0001/week/

Yes, but level changes on lakes can also be caused by wind. Coosan Point on the east side is not rising. Lanesborough had no change since yesterday but Ballyleague, just around the corner, saw an increase of 4 cm. I can't find another explanation than wind.
    The North Shannon and the Inny have peaked but some tributaries not. The situation is very uncertain and all will depend on the rainfall in the Shannon basin next week. My fingers are crossed.

cormie wrote: »
    Would anyone have any idea what the road from Dublin to Wexford is like/going to be like this morning between 11:00 and 13:00? Also returning that evening? I see @aaroadwatch's latest tweet says flooding has improved in Enniscorthy with no major issues, but the back road route is probably best anyway?

Personally I would avoid back roads. If there is flooding on a main road it will be indicated and from aa roadwatch etc they will advise diversions. Back roads will not be as well monitored and therefore dangerous. I love back roads but no way until this clears . Is there a coco twitter or facebook page for that area?

• Advertisement

Thankfully less cold and the wind is a kinder airt.. ( Old Orkney word for direction. The dreaded easterly was the worst there when the boat could not get to the quay..) Sudden gusty lusty deluges then space between.. Only the road to Ross Castle in Killarney is blocked now.. Hoping out tomorrow early,, chasing the Mobile Library and saying goodbye to the Christmas garden in the cathedral.. will watch the weather however..lies are magnificent and constantly changing.White out rain then blue skies..black clouds...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The Shannon at Athlone is now at 5.85m which is the same as the record height in 2009.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000026027/0001/

At least it looks like there won't be any further rainfall warnings until Wednesday.

Now at 5.86 and presumably still rising.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The rainfall over next 3 days looks small compared to recently.
    A chance for places to recover a little

The rainfall over next 3 days looks small compared to recently.
    A chance for places to recover a little

Let us hope so. Parts of my grassy drive are deeper than I have ever seen them. Wind rising here now and heavier rain.. South Kerry mountains 400 asl

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Supercell wrote: »
    Now at 5.86 and presumably still rising.

5.865m now.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    5.865m now.
    Still rising, does anyone know what the next critical level is?
    As in how much higher it needs to go before it overwhelms flood defences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sun shining here in the phoenix park .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Shannon up again.

Latest data: Jan. 3, 2016, 3:15 p.m. (UTC / GMT) staff gauge level 5.859m

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

16.8mm in Ardfert Co Kerry from overnight rain and regular big heavy prolonged showers today, bit brighter now for the moment.

Nabber wrote: »
    Shannon up again.

Latest data: Jan. 3, 2016, 3:15 p.m. (UTC / GMT) staff gauge level 5.859m

At what point?

Athlone? If so its actually down as compared to 2:30pm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Carnacalla wrote: »
    At what point?

Athlone? If so its actually down as compared to 2:30pm?

My bad, Athlone. It is down, good spot.

Nabber wrote: »
    My bad, Athlone. It is down, good spot.

Not much of a spot considering I had posted it a few posts before you! Anyway, simple mistake.

I'm surprised that there's been no real flooding in Athlone (that I've heard of yet) if the river surpassed 2009 levels! Usually if there was major flooding we would have heard about it on this fourm by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

There are two different gauges in Athlone
    the so called Athlone gauge
    http://waterlevel.ie/0000026027/0001/day/
    and the Athlone Weir gauge U/S
    http://waterlevel.ie/0000026333/0001/day/
    Both are going up and down a bit today but there is not much movement, luckily.
    Both are not really going down but it could peak soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

Can anyone tell me how on earth sending Joan Burton down a road in a canoe is actually supposed to help with the flooding? What am I missing?

mayway wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how on earth sending Joan Burton down a road in a canoe is actually supposed to help with the flooding? What am I missing?

The cry went out that no one from the govt had visited the flooded areas and they d++++d well should.. so they did and this is your comment? Not a ?? of helping . What can any of us do? But we can be aware and care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

Graces7 wrote: »
    mayway wrote: »

The cry went out that no one from the govt had visited the flooded areas and they d++++d well should.. so they did and this is your comment? Not a ?? of helping . What can any of us do? But we can be aware and care.

I don't understand your comment. But I understand less the helpfulness of a capsizing Burton in a boat. I'm pretty sure Enda in wellies walking through puddles isn't helping either. Am I missing something? I saw on the RTE website that some poor flooded person was angry with Coveney over the floods. Is he supposed to be able to control the weather? Should I get mad with him every time I hang out my washing and it rains on it? It's all bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Sceptic

I am new to this forum so apologies if I am asking a question that is already answered.

Basically our house got flooded on new years day. About 4 - 5 inches of water got into the house and has destroyed all carpets and wooden floors in the downstairs of our house and a few other bits and pieces.

We have house insurance, but are afraid that if we claim we will not be insured for flood damage again in the future. The house is 35 years old and has never been flooded previously. Does anyone have any experience on this matter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I am new to this forum so apologies if I am asking a question that is already answered.

Basically our house got flooded on new years day. About 4 - 5 inches of water got into the house and has destroyed all carpets and wooden floors in the downstairs of our house and a few other bits and pieces.

We have house insurance, but are afraid that if we claim we will not be insured for flood damage again in the future. The house is 35 years old and has never been flooded previously. Does anyone have any experience on this matter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about the damage done to your home.

It's not something we can help you with here but if you post your query in the Banking, Insurance and Pensions Forum you'll get some good advice on how to proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The rainfall warnings are no longer in force so I'm closing this one.
    Discussion continues in the Winter 2015/16 thread and the
    Current conditions thread

Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement