Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Sphero BB-8 Droid (50% Off)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Looks like our BB-8 is a bit of a chick magnet

https://twitter.com/aishagani/status/679229509036605440

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mine arrived this afternoon! :) Thanks O.P
    Now to convince my son he really wants my android smart watch ;)
    Then I won't feel to guilty about keeping BB8 for myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Wooo..landed here. (still not sure why I'm excited about overspending on the hubby!)
    I've convinced him to go see the movie this week instead of next week so he'll appreciate it more ;)

Should I charge it up or leave it as is for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Any idea if they have these in store or do I have to order through the website? One 4 all voucher here crying out to be spent on something frivolous

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

You called him "Bobby" the shame of it ;)

Bobby Fett, a prouder lineage there be none ;)

(it's also his initials read quickly as one word, but I wasn't in a creative mood)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is it correct that they dont really map anything? They just drive around randomly or do they map?

Is it correct that they dont really map anything? They just drive around randomly or do they map?

It apparently "remembers" where obstacles were. My little guy seemed fascinated with a co-workers shoes but then managed to navigate around them the 2nd time ;)

Incidentally the roaming mode is most fun. Driving him around is a bit of a challenge at first, but it's cool to just let him wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

Any idea if they have these in store or do I have to order through the website? One 4 all voucher here crying out to be spent on something frivolous

Online only. If you can't use the one4 all online at home perhaps they could do it instore and order it for you.

bromley52 wrote: »
    Online only. If you can't use the one4 all online at home perhaps they could do it instore and order it for you.

Thanks, don't see a way to use the voucher online. Watching videos on YouTube here, not fully convinced it's for me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Mine is currently charging, couldn't play with it before I had to go to work :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Tip for anyone with an iOS device (sorry Android users - this is iOS only) - tickle will let you write programs using a drag and drop (scratch like) interface to control the BB-8.

I didn't go for this and I'm still 50:50 on that being a sensible call or not!

Paddy

Tickle - Visual Programming of Robots, Drones, Arduino, and Scratch Games by Tickle Labs, Inc.
    https://appsto.re/ie/pgjt5.i

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Would this work I wonder?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sphero.sprk

This is SPRK Lightning Lab. Your hub to create, contribute, and learn with Sphero.

Utilizing block-based programming, this app will inspire a love of robotics, coding, and STEAM principles while teaching the power of cause, effect, and conditions in programming. Use this app with Sphero SPRK Edition, Sphero 2.0, and Ollie, all powered by Bluetooth with a 100-foot range and over an hour of drive time on a single charge.

SPRK Lightning Lab is simple enough for beginners, yet sophisticated enough for seasoned programmers. The SPRK community (Schools - Parents - Robots - Kids) is thriving as thousands of kids shape their future through fun and discovery. Check out sprk.sphero.com for brand new activities that will keep you inspired day after day.

Build & Discover Programs
    Build and share your own programs, discover what others have created and even run your friends’s programs on your robot.

Block-Based Programming
    Transform ideas into code by using visual blocks that represent our C-based language, OVAL. Double tap on a block to learn what it does.

Text-Based Code Viewer
    After combining commands, see the code and use this as a foundation to learn more about programming.

Hardware Revealed
    Uncover the magic of Sphero and Ollie by exploring a 3D model of the parts that make your robot come to life.

Drive Your Robot
    Need a brain break? Turn your device sideways to drive and play.

*Compatible robots: Sphero SPRK Edition, Sphero 2.0, and Ollie

*maybe not...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Can it be reset and start off again ?
    Does it take long charge to have ready for xmas morning
    Didn't even look at it yet lol

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    Tip for anyone with an iOS device (sorry Android users - this is iOS only) - tickle will let you write programs using a drag and drop (scratch like) interface to control the BB-8.

I didn't go for this and I'm still 50:50 on that being a sensible call or not!

Paddy

Tickle - Visual Programming of Robots, Drones, Arduino, and Scratch Games by Tickle Labs, Inc.
    https://appsto.re/ie/pgjt5.i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Let me push my geeks spectacles back up my nose here and say... zero interaction.

These work on BLE, bluetooth low energy, bluetooth smart, whatever they are calling it this week.
    The droids are peripheral devices only I'd imagine, they talk only to the phone that is connected to them each time you start the app. No communication with other droids. IMHO.

The practicalities of running several in the one area:
    BLE doesn't even "pair" like classic bluetooth, so I don't think there is any way to link your droid exclusively with your phone... droid X (if not currently connected to a phone) will connect with phone Y if it is nearby and has the app trying to connect.
    It does look like they reduce the power of the bluetooth radio for the connection process, so you do have to be quite close. Good idea, as if there were several BB8s in the vicinity you would have no control of which one you connected to otherwise.

From my initial experiments at least.

Thanks for the info.....Keep experimenting... We need a meet up to rival motors ;)

GY A1 wrote: »
    Does it take long charge to have ready for xmas morning

It was charged out of the box (in that we were able to play around with it for a few mins), but I gave it a proper run-through and took about 1.5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

barneyrub wrote: »
    Wooo..landed here. (still not sure why I'm excited about overspending on the hubby!)
    I've convinced him to go see the movie this week instead of next week so he'll appreciate it more ;)

Should I charge it up or leave it as is for him?
    Anyone? Should I charge or leave it?

barneyrub wrote: »
    Anyone? Should I charge or leave it?

Charge it while he's at the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I had arranged for delivery tomorrow but it arrived just after 7pm this evening. Happy days.

has anyone gotten voice commands working? mine isnt accepting set up...maybe it was due to low power. Its currently on charge.

I nearly got caught when Junior came downstairs to go to the loo. A quick push out to the toilet and a rush to disconnect and hide it did the trick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

has anyone gotten voice commands working? mine isnt accepting set up...maybe it was due to low power. Its currently on charge.

I nearly got caught when Junior came downstairs to go to the loo. A quick push out to the toilet and a rush to disconnect and hide it did the trick :)

Are you using ios or Android? When it came out originally voice commands weren't working on Android, not sure if they've released an update to enable this yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

It's working for me on Android 5 .App version 1.0.6 .

Speak with an American accent, worked for me for some commands

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Can I use a phone charger instead of a pc us port ? Is there a max rating ? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

karltimber wrote: »
    Can I use a phone charger instead of a pc us port ? Is there a max rating ? Thanks

Should be fine. Phone chargers don't "push" what they are max rated for, that's just the max they can supply if the charging circuitry in gadget x at the other end demands ("pulls") it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Shred

Probably too late but Harvey Norman have them in stock for €169.90: http://www.harveynorman.ie/gifts/all-gifts/sphero-star-wars-bb-8-droid.html

Shred wrote: »
    Probably too late but Harvey Norman have them in stock for €169.90: http://www.harveynorman.ie/gifts/all-gifts/sphero-star-wars-bb-8-droid.html

Yeah I seen that, thanks. Will have a look in the new year, maybe they'll go on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah I seen that, thanks. Will have a look in the new year, maybe they'll go on sale.

28rfomt.jpg

Thanks to a lovely woman on adverts, i have a bb-8

She won it in from arnotts Sunday and sold it on to me for 100 euro... ok its more than 79 but i'm delighted with it :)

Im too excited to read about setting it up...

What do i do when i unbox? I've downloaded the sphero app....

Happy holidays everyone!

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just wondering... My payment from Marks is still pending on my card even though they cancelled my order last Saturday? Should they not have released the funds by now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sonetimes that takes a while.

As for setup, just charge it for a few hours and open up the app, it will do the rest, can use it to update firmware while bb is charging too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

BM for xmas day shenanigans

Advertisement