Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

horse7 wrote: »
    I know about the south bound traffic on m50 at blanch yesterday,but why was the northbound traffic so bad?

Rubberneckers.
    Was the northbound M50 closed at blanch today after another accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

the_syco wrote: »
    It is illegal to ride a bicycle on a motorway.
    GM228 wrote: »
    Yes, Section 43, subsection 4 of the Roads Act 1993:-

GM228

Where did I say I'd cycle on the m50 which in itself is the height of idiocy? There's other routes through the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

errlloyd wrote: »
    If you were able to get flexi hours for an hour either side of 9 and 5 you'd have a dream commute. I drive the M50 a lot around those times and the difference an hour makes is huge.

I work flexible hours, between 7:30am and 10am. While it's great that I'm never late for work, the time wasted sitting on the M50 still has to be made up by staying in work later.

I'm lucky that I travel Northbound, joining at Liffey Valley, and exiting at Finglas. God help anyone traveling Southbound in the mornings though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

errlloyd wrote: »
    If you were able to get flexi hours for an hour either side of 9 and 5 you'd have a dream commute. I drive the M50 a lot around those times and the difference an hour makes is huge.

I used work 8-4:30 in Dundrum and commuted from Swords.

Even leaving at 6:45 I regularly spent over an hour and a half getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Stheno wrote: »
    I used work 8-4:30 in Dundrum and commuted from Swords.

Even leaving at 6:45 I regularly spent over an hour and a half getting there.

Were you regularly 15 minutes late for work :P. I'd say as you get close to 8am Wesley College really makes chaos of that exit.

I am majorly cherry-picking my times here. But google maps allows you to put in arrival time, and it will give you the estimate based on the average traffic at those times, which it calculates using people who leave their location data on.

Anyway, for the poster I originally quoted to get from Navan to Cherrywood it looks likes this. Google breaks it down to 20 minute intervals, and I've shown the 8 semi reasonable options. The 3 main ones are highlighted. Which are the 8-4 day, the 9-5 day, and the 10-6 day. (Each day aims to arrive at 7:40, 8:40 and 9:40 because I am a punctual ****er). And each day assumes the worst for commute time, which is kinda cheating I guess because though you might have to assume the worst in the morning because you're never late, it seems unreasonable to go with the worst, and not the average in the evening.

369130.PNG

As you can see if the OP could negotiate to do the early start or the late start he / she could save up to 50 minutes a day commuting. 4:10 a week, 20 hours a month. The better part of 200 a year. Sure Stheno, we could watch the entire televised coverage of the Aviva Premiership in that time (132 hours per annum) and still have time left over to do actual enjoyable stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    They've probably dropped the settings to make it look better. :P
    A bit like the train that always arrived 5 minutes late, so they revised the timetable to schedule it to arrive 5 minutes later, now it arrives "on time".

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

It was brilliant this morning, shag all traffic, no accidents, nobody breaking down.
    Swords -> Parkwest in 30 mins during rush hour. Beats the 1hr and 10 minutes I normally get .

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

The port tunnel was closed, trucks that normally use the M50 had to go through city reducing traffic on M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭horse7

Can't get on m50, I'm in tallaght, junction 11, trying to go northbound,any news,it's like a car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Showing green on Google Maps traffic, nothing reported on nratraffic.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I wonder what time today they will close the m50...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I wonder what time today they will close the m50...

I crossed over it at Sandyford this morning, and northbound traffic was down to crawl at around 8.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It was brilliant this morning, shag all traffic, no accidents, nobody breaking down.
    Swords -> Parkwest in 30 mins during rush hour. Beats the 1hr and 10 minutes I normally get .

Jaysis thats shocking for a distance of 28km. Theoretically you could cycle that distance in a quicker time than driving the m50. Not that you'd want to in the winter or anything but things are seriously amiss when cycling is faster/the same as making a 28km motorway journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Jaysis thats shocking for a distance of 28km. Theoretically you could cycle that distance in a quicker time than driving the m50. Not that you'd want to in the winter or anything but things are seriously amiss when cycling is faster/the same as making a 28km motorway journey.

I said earlier I was being earmarked for a project that would bring me from blanch to cherrywood - cycling 30km through town was a viable consideration for me. On a good day I'd cover that in about 1 hour 15

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

13 years ago, i was cycling from blanchardstown to leopardstown, typically in less than an hour; at the time the toll booths were operating on the M50 and a motorbike on the M50 was the only way to do it faster at rush hour (probably still is!).
    my best time was 47 minutes, leopardstown to blanch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

What happens if you are using the overtaking lane and in the unlikely event, the car suddenly breaks down and you aim for the hard shoulder but a stream of cars are undertaking you preventing you from doing this thus forcing you to be broken down on the outside lane.

What happens if you are using the overtaking lane and in the unlikely event, the car suddenly breaks down and you aim for the hard shoulder but a stream of cars are undertaking you preventing you from doing this thus forcing you to be broken down on the outside lane.

Put on your hazards and wait.

The M50 rescue guys will tow you away pretty quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just listening to Paschal now...it will take 3 years to implement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just listening to Paschal now...it will take 3 years to implement!

What annoys me re tolls is that there's nothing for anyone south of current toll to pay... Why is only half the traffic paying all the tolls?

Surely would make sense to have lower tolls and try and charge cars from the n7 and n4 going m50 south..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What annoys me

Why? Will you get to pay less if others have to pay more? I doubt it, the tolls are already a profit centre, they aren't going to spread the money around like a charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What annoys me re tolls is that there's nothing for anyone south of current toll to pay... Why is only half the traffic paying all the tolls?

Surely would make sense to have lower tolls and try and charge cars from the n7 and n4 going m50 south..

The Toll was never for using the road, it was for crossing the bridge, when the M50 was built all those years ago the biggest cost of the project was the Liffey bridge and the toll was originally to cover the building costs and ongoing maintenance costs of the bridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The Toll was never for using the road, it was for crossing the bridge, when the M50 was built all those years ago the biggest cost of the project was the Liffey bridge and the toll was originally to cover the building costs and ongoing maintenance costs of the bridge.
    So the bridge cost more than the rest of the M50?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the minister for transport is a total moron. The guy has said, multi point tolling wont happen until there is a decent transport network for Dublin, is that one that would involve MN and DU, which you have just robbed Dublin of for at least another decade to "save" total and utter irrelevance money in the scheme of things Pascale, that pocket change?!

the below is from an rte.ie article, the real shocker for me, is that growth was so massively underestimated (sarcasm overload), where have we seen that before? :rolleyes: Sure why not lie more Paschal, the more you lie about projections being over optimistic etc, the less the government can begrudgingly invest in area such as transport and infrastructure and other areas they begrudge giving a red cent to!

Prime Time also reported that up to 400,000 unique journeys are now taking place on the M50 every day – well in excess of the number of journeys previously estimated.

The growth in traffic levels on the M50 are the highest in Europe.

New technology to help clear the scene of collisions faster is also to be acquired according to the Minister.

He also ruled out additional multi point tolling in the near future. The measure would, according to an NRA report, reduce traffic volumes on the route.

Mr Donohoe said that he would not be in favour of additional tolls on the M50 until viable public transport alternatives are in place.

He also said forcing traffic off the M50 would result in an increase in congestion and traffic on other smaller regional roads and residential areas along the route.

The airport regulator reckoned it would take another half decade minimum to reach the numbers the airport will hit this year.

kidneyfan wrote: »
    So the bridge cost more than the rest of the M50?

Typical Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Muahahaha wrote: »

Its 28km on the motorway, it would only be 22km to cycle it.

Variable speed limits will take up to three years to implement, and are expected to cost between €30m and €40m
    Why will it cost so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Variable speed limits will take up to three years to implement, and are expected to cost between €30m and €40m
    Why will it cost so much?

The gantries will need to be fitted out with dot matrix type signs and all the necessary communications will need to be fitted too. The process will no doubt involve lane closures to do the works & lane occupation charges are hugely expensive.

All depends on the full scope of work of what's planned. One of the issues with the M50 is that there are too many exits and it is being used for local access which was not the intended use. I am surprised that the minister is not in favour of multi point tolling despite ignoring the advice of the NRA (must be an election coming).

The outer ring road needs to be built which has been considered but put on the back burner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    All depends on the full scope of work of what's planned. One of the issues with the M50 is that there are too many exits and it is being used for local access which was not the intended use.

A fixed toll of say 1.50 at the point of entry. You should not need to use the M50 to get from say Ballymun to Charlestown, fixed pricing would discourage this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement