Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

^^^^^
    Is this some sort of sick joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Patww79 wrote: »
    Junction 6 was this mornings lucky winner.

Was it not J7? N4/Lucan Road slip road southbound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Another crash between junction 7 and 6...
    What is going on....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

What is going on....?

I'll hazard a general guess at increasing traffic levels placing more and more pressure on poorly planned roads and Irish people's inability to drive properly upon them.

I'll hazard a general guess at increasing traffic levels placing more and more pressure on poorly planned roads and Irish people's inability to drive properly upon them.

Probably those damn cyclists again..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the m50 "upgrdade" is a joke, look a the volume of traffic on it and 3 mickey mouse lanes, it needed 4 minimum and ideally 5, not including auxiliary lanes. They would have been better off throwing the money at metro north and getting that started...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kbannon wrote: »
    And to think people last week wanted the gardai to rush their post-incident investigations. Imagine that was the normal practice?

You and a few others don't really seem to understand one important part of this discussion.

Rightly or wrongly every society needs to make certain decisions, for the greater good if you like. Its happens all the time to varying degrees whether people realise it or not, so save the outrage if you are offended by any of this.

So while I do have the utmost respect and sympathy for any person killed on our roads the question is, should the entire city be affected/shut down by that one incident, even if the incident involved a death? I was at the funeral of a good friend the other day, I didn't see much of anything shut down for that, I'm sure it was the same for the dozens of other people who died this week.

Should tens of thousands of people and businesses be affected because one incident needs investigating? Where is the line in this? If shutting the M50 for 6/7 hours at peak time is acceptable would a full day be acceptable? Why not? After all the reasons for doing so haven't changed, do you want a proper investigation or not?

Maybe 2 hours would have given an acceptable investigation but we needed 7 hours for a full and proper one, should we shut down the M50 so we can have a full and proper investigation when maybe "just" an acceptable one would have done? I'd happily shut down the entire thing if it was to save a life, but shut it all down to help gather info for the paperwork? Not so sure about that.

Again, save your outrage, I have every sympathy for the bereaved. But there is always a bigger picture and I don't see the problem with people asking where that line is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the m50 "upgrdade" is a joke, look a the volume of traffic on it and 3 mickey mouse lanes, it needed 4 minimum and ideally 5, not including auxiliary lanes. They would have been better off throwing the money at metro north and getting that started...

https://twitter.com/aileendonnelly/status/496409629140606976

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

What is going on....?

Presuming it was northbound the accident happened, take a look at how traffic from town on the n4 loops around and goes northbound.

There is no slip road, it just joins the m50 abruptly.

If you walk across the pedestrian footbridge you can witness the near misses every evening, it's an accident waiting to happen and it often does.

The other slips are fine, no particular reason to have a crash at any of them.

Other than that, going to Sligo onto the n4 from the m50 Northbound, you have people trying to jump the queue in the slip ending up stopping in Lane 3, which ends up causing people to rear end them or just blocking lane 3 causing tailbacks.

You have the odd person going into town from the m50 northbound who will skip the queue, which is fair, but either leave it too late or collide with others on the slip already or users who only realise the toll is next and bail out at the last minute, not checking whats there.

The Last bad spot is the coming out of Liffey Valley to try to go south bound, you have to cross 3 lanes in a couple of hundred meters which also causes mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Idbatterim wrote: »
    100% better off creating a working public transport system.

As it stands now the majority of people are simply forced to use the M50 due to the lack of adequate infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

100% better off creating a working public transport system.

As it stands now the majority of people are simply forced to use the M50 due to the lack of adequate infrastructure.

unfortunately I can't really see this happening either.
    I received a stock electioneering leaflet from a FG candidate in my local area in NCD a few days ago. It went on about how Metro North was going to happen etc etc. Problem is, construction will only be starting in 2021, conveniently enough, giving the next government enough time to shelve it again.

it also went on about Dart past Malahide, something that was supposed to be in place by now, so yet again my cynicism says that it wont happen either and if it does it will be years away.

Luas and cross-city luas are all well and good but North Dublin and in particular NCD have been ignored for years in terms or public transport, despite it being the fastest growing area in terms of population.

So yes I completely agree that the M50 is inadequate. I also agree that many many people do not know how to drive on a Motorway, yet it's not taught to them as part of their driving test (at least it wasn't when I did mine). I agree that public transport improvement is the way forward, but successive governments have blathered and blustered on about it for years without actually doing anything more than engaging expensive consultants.

So forgive my cynicism!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I lost my job last year. I haven't found work yet, but I will not take a job that involves the M50 to get to. Life is too short to be stuck on that evil hell road everyday. They are so cheeky having a toll on it, even when you're delayed for ages on it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Probably those damn cyclists again..

On the M50? Even cyclists wouldn't dare!

:)

GM228

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You and a few others don't really seem to understand one important part of this discussion.

Rightly or wrongly every society needs to make certain decisions, for the greater good if you like. Its happens all the time to varying degrees whether people realise it or not, so save the outrage if you are offended by any of this.

So while I do have the utmost respect and sympathy for any person killed on our roads the question is, should the entire city be affected/shut down by that one incident, even if the incident involved a death? I was at the funeral of a good friend the other day, I didn't see much of anything shut down for that, I'm sure it was the same for the dozens of other people who died this week.

Should tens of thousands of people and businesses be affected because one incident needs investigating? Where is the line in this? If shutting the M50 for 6/7 hours at peak time is acceptable would a full day be acceptable? Why not? After all the reasons for doing so haven't changed, do you want a proper investigation or not?

Maybe 2 hours would have given an acceptable investigation but we needed 7 hours for a full and proper one, should we shut down the M50 so we can have a full and proper investigation when maybe "just" an acceptable one would have done? I'd happily shut down the entire thing if it was to save a life, but shut it all down to help gather info for the paperwork? Not so sure about that.

Again, save your outrage, I have every sympathy for the bereaved. But there is always a bigger picture and I don't see the problem with people asking where that line is.

1. I'm not outraged and not sure why you thought I was.
    2. I do understand the important parts of the discussion. I just don't agree with your view on it.
    3. Should a possible criminal investigation be handled inadequately simply because you want to travel to or from work more quickly? I don't believe so.
    In terms of the duration that it took to complete the recent M50/N4 incident, I don't know what exactly was being done that took seven hours but I will not make the assumption that they spent the time dossing by the side of the motorway! If it took seven hours, then it took seven hours. If it transpires that the investigation team were in Kerry, then maybe we need to ask questions on making it more efficient to get to the scene of an incident or have more teams. I refuse to subscribe to the belief that "it should be ok to do a half arsed job because commuters are getting cranky".
    4. I've already stated that our car based transport system is not sustainable and the government need to get people onto more sustainable solutions, i.e efficient public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I lost my job last year. I haven't found work yet, but I will not take a job that involves the M50 to get to. Life is too short to be stuck on that evil hell road everyday. They are so cheeky having a toll on it, even when you're delayed for ages on it

My company are bidding for work that, if we win it, would put me on a project at the end of the M50 in south county dublin - 30km door to door, I live just off the blanch roundabout.

The thoughts of driving it every day are making me sick. I cycle 14km to work in central Dublin currently, and I'm seriously considering taking on the 30km commute by bike or alternatively do a train / luas. The thoughts of being stuck on it daily are freaking me out.

I live in Navan and worked in Cherrywood. 2 hours door to door some mornings. Completely untenable

• Registered Users Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kbannon wrote: »
    3. Should a possible criminal investigation be handled inadequately simply because you want to travel to or from work more quickly?

Is one successful criminal investigation worth impacting upon tens of thousands of people and businesses?

Its also far too simple to dismiss the question as just me wanting to get to work quicker. Its not just me, its perhaps the busiest road in the country so its tens of thousands of people. For many of those thousands there are only minor inconveniences, but for many there are missed flights, lost wages, missed meetings, children left alone, any number of issues which all together add up to a problem for the city itself.

Then consider that this is happening again and again and again. Does that not change perspective on any one possible investigation?

GM228 wrote: »
    On the M50? Even cyclists wouldn't dare!

:)

GM228

Only on a Dublin bike....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is one successful criminal investigation worth impacting upon tens of thousands of people and businesses?
    are you seriously suggesting that a criminal action resulting from the death of a motorist is not worth pursuing because it would inconvenience too many people?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I live in Navan and worked in Cherrywood. 2 hours door to door some mornings. Completely untenable

If you were able to get flexi hours for an hour either side of 9 and 5 you'd have a dream commute. I drive the M50 a lot around those times and the difference an hour makes is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

errlloyd wrote: »
    If you were able to get flexi hours for an hour either side of 9 and 5 you'd have a dream commute. I drive the M50 a lot around those times and the difference an hour makes is huge.

That's very true. Last two mornings I've left an hour earlier than normal travling from Dublin 15 to get to Dublin 5 using the N3 and M50. It is a huge difference leaving at 7am v 8am. Huge!

There has been a lot of accidents and breakdowns of late as well. People need to take more care and service their bleeding cars! - I'm half kidding with the service part there although I do wonder how many are down to lack of basic car maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    My company are bidding for work that, if we win it, would put me on a project at the end of the M50 in south county dublin - 30km door to door, I live just off the blanch roundabout.
    I'm seriously considering taking on the 30km commute by bike
    It is illegal to ride a bicycle on a motorway.
    They have to ensure that it was the fault of one of the people involved, as opposed to the fault of the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

The Last bad spot is the coming out of Liffey Valley to try to go south bound, you have to cross 3 lanes in a couple of hundred meters which also causes mayhem.

The limit on that stretch is 60kph specifically for that reason. The only time it's hairy is when people keep doing 100/80. But if the Gardai do a speed check there, they're shooting fish in a barrel.

You can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

the_syco wrote: »
    It is illegal to ride a bicycle on a motorway

Yes, Section 43, subsection 4 of the Roads Act 1993:-
    (4) (a) Pedestrians and pedal cyclists shall not use a motorway.

GM228

errlloyd wrote: »

Unfortunately 6pm is not offpeak anymore. Frequently there are delays and problems now till after 7 on that hell road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Up until 2 or 3 years ago it was a joy to drive on.

I guess thats the price to pay for the upturn in the economy.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Up until 2 or 3 years ago it was a joy to drive on.

I guess thats the price to pay for the upturn in the economy.
    Plus loads of people being re-employed a long way from where they live, some who relocated to get the previous job and now can't move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭horse7

I know about the south bound traffic on m50 at blanch yesterday,but why was the northbound traffic so bad?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement