Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding Mom in restaurant stare off...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Kev W wrote: »
    My beard is a secondary sex characteristic. Should I have to cover it in public?

A characteristic is different to an organ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Try telling them that and they will come back at you with your own attitude -

"I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm entitled to stare if I want, if you have a problem with it, that's your problem, not mine".

Now, not for a minute am I excusing people staring, but what I'm trying to get across to you is the consequences of the attitude that someone thinks they need have no consideration for other people - they're going to get exactly the same attitude back.
    Of course it's not right, but some people will decide what's right and wrong for themselves, and put their own feelings ahead of others. Some people will be considerate of other people, and that can apply to any scenario you like.

You seem stuck on the idea that a woman breastfeeding in public is being inconsiderate. She is not.
    We're not animals who need to walk around naked in public either, but do people have a right to do it? Some people think they do, and fcuk what anyone else thinks, nudity is the most natural thing in the world, right? Anyone who has a problem with it, they're the people with the problem.

Those people are wrong though, because public nudity is illegal. Public breastfeeding is not. So the comparison doesn't really stand up.
    The point is, most women who are breastfeeding in public, you wouldn't even know they're doing it, and I fully support women who choose to breastfeed. What I don't support, is attention seeking behavior. I guess it just comes down to a judgment call in each individual scenario whether someone isn't looking to draw attention to themselves, or they are.

As I said from the beginning of this thread - attention seeker seeks attention, and gets it. There's really nothing more to this story.

(I read the article underneath the picture, and it didn't change my opinion that this woman was more concerned with making a statement about women breastfeeding in public, than she was about just simply feeding her child and getting on with her day)

You really are stuck on your assumption that this woman went looking for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I would also say that staring is considered very rude in our culture and being stared at will often invite a response, not least glaring. So if someone makes a deliberately rude gesture to you - yes, including staring - one has a certain right to pick up the message behind it and react to it appropriately.

What constitutes an appropriate reaction is generally disagreed on, mind you.

You really are stuck on your assumption that this woman went looking for attention.

She has a blog on the subject and she has set up Intactalactavist Mama...so she may have had good reasons to want attention and a confrontation or story. Not that this means the other person could stare at her, but think her angle should be pointed out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

She should have worn a poncho/shawl and fed the baby under it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

And that's fine, play on.

The people staring don't feel like they're doing anything wrong either, so they don't feel any consideration for her is warranted.

You will have to take it up with them not me then, as I am commenting in general on things like breast feeding and PDAs and the like. I said nothing about staring.

It is you coming into this thread about breast feeding talking about showing consideration to others. Yet you have not shown any consideration is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Do you eat with a poncho/shawl draped over you?

She has a blog on the subject and she has set up Intactalactavist Mama...so she may have had good reasons to want attention and a confrontation or story. Not that this means the other person could stare at her, but think her angle should be pointed out too.

Conversely, since she has a blog on the subject of course she's going to tell the story. If you have a blog on a subject you write about your experiences with that subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

There is no such "should" at all. Many people choose to do that... but that is their choice, not their obligation. In fact many people can not do it for various reasons. My own son, for example, panics.

As has been pointed out:

a) she shouldn't need to

b) not everybody can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

There is no such "should" at all. Many people choose to do that... but that is their choice, not their obligation. In fact many people can not do it for various reasons. My own son, for example, panics.
    I'd like to see my two year old stay under a poncho or shawl while feeding.

It's okay, the bad, naughty breast isn't going to detach and come after you, even if it's not restrained by a shawl.

Tbh, I'd put the comfort of the baby and the parent over the rather ridiculous disgust of whoever this mysterious other patron was.

Breastfeeding in public is perfectly legal in Ireland (and in most other western cultures), end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You seem stuck on the idea that a woman breastfeeding in public is being inconsiderate. She is not.

You seem to be stuck on the idea that I have a problem with women breastfeeding in public. I don't, I never have, and I never will.

Those people are wrong though, because public nudity is illegal. Public breastfeeding is not. So the comparison doesn't really stand up.

Within the context of people doing what they feel they should be entitled to do regardless of any consideration for other people, the comparison absolutely stands up. There's plenty was illegal in the past and people still did it regardless of whether or not it was illegal, so making the point that something is illegal, is the point that doesn't stand up when it comes to some people's attitudes that they are entitled to do what they want regardless of consideration for other people.

Considering she admits herself that she engaged in a "stare-off", it's a valid interpretation of her motives. As far as I'm concerned, all she's done is made it that much harder for other women to breastfeed in public because they'll feel like they can't without someone staring at them, when in fact most people aren't actually all that interested in what other people are doing.

Conversely, since she has a blog on the subject of course she's going to tell the story. If you have a blog on a subject you write about your experiences with that subject.

Oh true.

But it's one of those things that might make people go "hmmmm". Pity she didn't get a pic of the other person staring, might have addressed any doubts about the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

How about totally naked, Kev? How about a woman that takes all her clothes off in Burger King just to breastfeed and takes some selfies while she's at it. I know it won't happen, but if it did, would you considerate that inconsiderate? Or is it that once a woman's nipple is insider her child's mouth she becomes incapable of being inconsiderate? That seems to be what you're, rather naively, suggesting.

She did. Quite clearly. Many like her too. One did it on the cover of Time.

https://twitter.com/MrNachoBusiness/status/674230275694583809

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'm not buying it happened. Anyways, yeah sure mothers should be allowed to breastfeed in public. Why on earth not?! Can't say I've ever seen someone take offence to it irl!

Samaris wrote: »
    I would also say that staring is considered very rude in our culture and being stared at will often invite a response, not least glaring. So if someone makes a deliberately rude gesture to you - yes, including staring - one has a certain right to pick up the message behind it and react to it appropriately.

What constitutes an appropriate reaction is generally disagreed on, mind you.

I think it's generally agreed among adults that the best way to deal with someone staring at you is to ignore them.

You seem to be stuck on the idea that I have a problem with women breastfeeding in public. I don't, I never have, and I never will.

Yet you repeatedly say the breastfeeding mother is being "inconsiderate".

Within the context of people doing what they feel they should be entitled to do regardless of any consideration for other people, the comparison absolutely stands up.

Except breastfeeding is not something a mother "feels that she should be entitled to do", it's something she is entitled to do. By law. Unlike public nudity. So the comparison does not stand.
    There's plenty was illegal in the past and people still did it regardless of whether or not it was illegal, so making the point that something is illegal, is the point that doesn't stand up when it comes to some people's attitudes that they are entitled to do what they want regardless of consideration for other people.

You still haven't demonstrated why a breastfeeding mother should consider anything but the fact that her child is hungry.

Considering she admits herself that she engaged in a "stare-off", it's a valid interpretation of her motives.

How so? The other person was still the one to initiate. If they had have minded their own business there would have been no problem.
    As far as I'm concerned, all she's done is made it that much harder for other women to breastfeed in public because they'll feel like they can't without someone staring at them, when in fact most people aren't actually all that interested in what other people are doing.

Interesting theory.

I'll put that to the women on the thread:

Do you feel like this story would make you

a) less comfortable with breastfeeding publicly
    b) more comfortable with it or
    b) no different?

I think it's generally agreed among adults that the best way to deal with someone staring at you is to ignore them.

Oh, it is, but it's generally agreed that the act of staring is rudeness on the side of the other person.

How about totally naked, Kev? How about a woman that takes all her clothes off in Burger King just to breastfeed and takes some selfies while she's at it. I know it won't happen, but if it did, would you considerate that inconsiderate?

What has that got to do with the price of herring? It's fine to whistle, but what if you go around whistling through a megaphone, is that insulting? Would you, while defending the act of whistling consider THAT inconsiderate?

The only possible response to such a daft argument is "whut".

Or is it that once a woman's nipple is insider her child's mouth she becomes incapable of being inconsiderate? That seems to be what you're, rather naively, suggesting.

Er, no, it's being suggested that the very act of placing your nipple into your baby's mouth to feed them is not actually either inconsiderate to those in your general vicinity or indeed illegal.

God forbid anyone breastfeed in public and point out clearly and firmly that they are perfectly within their rights to do it. And god forbid anyone make a damn statement that it's just fine to normalise this rather than act like it's a shameful act that should be made secret and verboten and thus encourage the ridiculous idea that the primary function of the female breast is to incite lust. It isn't. It's to feed a damn baby.

How about totally naked, Kev? How about a woman that takes all her clothes off in Burger King just to breastfeed and takes some selfies while she's at it. I know it won't happen, but if it did, would you considerate that inconsiderate? Or is it that once a woman's nipple is insider her child's mouth she becomes incapable of being inconsiderate? That seems to be what you're, rather naively, suggesting.

While we're being ridiculous, what if there was a bomb in her boob and the only thing that kept it from going off was if she breastfed right at that moment? And this was the one time she forgot to bring her collapsible Breastfeeding Tent?

OH NO! ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE! MY ONE WEAKNESS! SJW POWERS... FADING! I'M MELTIIIIIING!

• Advertisement

Interesting theory.

I'll put that to the women on the thread:

Do you feel like this story would make you

a) less comfortable with breastfeeding publicly
    b) more comfortable with it or
    b) no different?

Honestly? Annoyed that because someone might be rude to me, I should have to go out of my way to stay as close to the house as possible so I can nip in every time my child is hungry (see previous 9-12 times a day!) rather than get on with my life and the necessary things that require me to leave the house while still being able to feed the small creature that is dependent on me for food.

Yes, I am easily upset by negative attention, being stared at, or people acting disapprovingly towards me, and I would have difficulty with breastfeeding in a public place. If people could mind their own business and treat it as a normal function of a nursing mother, that would be very nice, thankee.

Others might react in a more belligerant way, breastfeeding in an entirely "screw you" manner and daring anyone to take umbrage with their legal and natural right to do so, and still others might try to feed their baby with a ridiculous tent of shawls and scarves and the like just so the nosey can't get involved.

Why -do- we have this mad fascination with female breasts being forbidden and mildly unnatural things, but it's grand for men to go about topless? I've been mulling it over and I really can't come to a sensible conclusion about it. It's -helpful- to be able to support them with bras and the like, but when did it go from "practical" to "neccessary"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

A woman beast feeding wouldn't bother me at all but this picture is horrendous. This is just attention seeking plain and simple. This young lad must be at least 5,well passed the age where he should be exclusively on solid nutrition.
    Also, scarla for him when his friends pull this out at his 21st!

A woman beast feeding wouldn't bother me at all but this picture is horrendous. This is just attention seeking plain and simple. This young lad must be at least 5,well passed the age where he should be exclusively on solid nutrition.

Agreed. Though even the cover describes it as an "extreme".

What has that got to do with the price of herring? It's fine to whistle, but what if you go around whistling through a megaphone, is that insulting? Would you, while defending the act of whistling consider THAT inconsiderate?

The only possible response to such a daft argument is "whut".

How is it daft when it's exactly the issue here. I am attempting to find out if Kev is willing to agree that yes, it is possible for a woman to be inconsiderate whilst in the act of breastfeeding. If he does that, then it is just a matter of finding out where the line is for him and believe it or not he will then show himself to broadly be in agreement with most people on the thread which he is arguing with. So far though, he seems to be just acting as if it is impossible for women to be inconsiderate while breastfeeding. That somehow the very act itself means the woman must be angelic.
    Er, no, it's being suggested that the very act of placing your nipple into your baby's mouth to feed them is not actually either inconsiderate to those in your general vicinity or indeed illegal.

Nobody suggested that.
    God forbid anyone breastfeed in public and point out clearly and firmly that they are perfectly within their rights to do it. And god forbid anyone make a damn statement that it's just fine to normalise this rather than act like it's a shameful act that should be made secret and verboten and thus encourage the ridiculous idea that the primary function of the female breast is to incite lust. It isn't. It's to feed a damn baby.

Oh give it a rest with the sanctimony. Almost everyone on the thread that believes this woman was looking for attention ALSO believes that it of course should be a woman's right to breastfeed in public and that there is nothing shameful in it. Maybe if you actually attempted to take user's points on board rather than be hell bent on painting them as some kind of prudes you'd realise that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

This young lad must be at least 5,well passed the age where he should be exclusively on solid nutrition.

A woman who lived on my road growing up used to breast feed each subsequent kid but let the previous ones have a "bitty" - I remember her letting her then 10 or 11 year old son have a "bitty" at one point. That poor child must have serious issues now.

Others might react in a more belligerant way, breastfeeding in an entirely "screw you" manner and daring anyone to take umbrage with their legal and natural right to do so, and still others might try to feed their baby with a ridiculous tent of shawls and scarves and the like just so the nosey can't get involved.

This, exactly this, is what I'm trying to get across to people. It's not the act of breastfeeding at all that bothers me. It's the attitude, the "stare-down", the "I'm now going to focus on staring you down because you're staring at me" kind of thing.

This woman could easily have done what most people around her were doing - ignore someone staring at her, like most people were ignoring her breastfeeding. She went out of her way to make a point that was literally so, so unnecessary IMO.

How is it daft when it's exactly the issue here. I am attempting to find out if Kev is willing to agree that yes, it is possible for a woman to be inconsiderate whilst in the act of breastfeeding.

You could have just asked me that. Yes, it is possible for a mother to be inconsiderate while breastfeeding. She could, for example, stab several other patrons (assuming she has a free hand) while screaming, "THIS IS FOR YOU, NACHO, IT'S ALWAYS BEEN FOR YOU!!!"

In this case however, she did not.
    If he does that, then it is just a matter of finding out where the line is for him and believe it or not he will then show himself to broadly be in agreement with most people.
    I draw the line at actual inconsiderate behaviour. Excessive noise, throwing food, murderous rampages, singing "Angels" at the top of one's voice, etc.
    So far though, he seems to be just acting as if it is impossible for women to be inconsiderate while breastfeeding. That somehow the very act itself means the woman must be angelic.

Perhaps you can point out where exactly I gave you this idea? As far as I can tell I've only commented on whether or not the act of breastfeeding is in itself inconsiderate (it isn't). I have not to the best of my knowledge implied that breastfeeding mothers should enjoy a weird form of diplomatic immunity.

How is it daft when it's exactly the issue here. I am attempting to find out if Kev is willing to agree that yes, it is possible for a woman to be inconsiderate whilst in the act of breastfeeding. If he does that, then it is just a matter of finding out where the line is for him and believe it or not he will then show himself to broadly be in agreement with most people on the thread which he is arguing with. So far though, he seems to be just acting as if it is impossible for women to be inconsiderate while breastfeeding. That somehow the very act itself means the woman must be angelic.

Quite honestly, I don't see what your point is. Of course one can be inconsiderate while doing pretty much anything, and I certainly didn't read Kev's comments as insisting anything else. Your hyperbolic argument just plain doesn't prove your point. The act of breastfeeding, which was, I believe, what we were all discussing, is not in itself offensive. Of course if she did a strip tease on a table while breastfeeding and danced a fandango, people might well find it rather offensive (and also pretty bewildering), but I think the specific act of breastfeeding in the middle of it wouldn't be what people were talking about.

The act itself is not indecent.

One can be offensive in doing anything, including breastfeeding, walking, reading, talking, eating and doing a handstand. This does not actually make breastfeeding, walking, reading, talking, eating or doing a handstand offensive acts in and of themselves.

Or have I missed something here?
    Oh give it a rest with the sanctimony. Almost everyone on the thread that believes this woman was looking for attention ALSO believes that it of course should be a woman's right to breastfeed in public and that there is nothing shameful in it. Maybe if you actually attempted to take user's points on board rather than be hell bent on painting them as some kind of prudes you'd realise that.

"She should be feeding the baby under a shawl!"

Yep, it's her right to breastfeed in public. It is considered rude to stare and make disapproving motions at someone for doing something legal and (debatably) appropriate. So what's the problem?

That the whole thing went viral is more a symptom of today's obsession with tiny incidents being talked about all over the world than anything else. Maybe she was "attention-seeking", maybe she wasn't, but when you get right down to it, she wasn't actually doing anything wrong.

This, exactly this, is what I'm trying to get across to people. It's not the act of breastfeeding at all that bothers me. It's the attitude, the "stare-down", the "I'm now going to focus on staring you down because you're staring at me" kind of thing.

This woman could easily have done what most people around her were doing - ignore someone staring at her, like most people were ignoring her breastfeeding. She went out of her way to make a point that was literally so, so unnecessary IMO.

Aha, right, I follow you there. Yeeah, I see your point. But people is people and react differently to feeling themselves being disapproved of, especially when they feel they're not doing anything wrong. Back after the marriage referendum, I wore my multicoloured jacket outside in the city, partly because I like it, and partly in celebration of it going through. I was called a fag and a slut amongst other things, mostly by young men in cars, because shouting at lone people in the street from a moving vehicle is amongst the bravest things one can do in front of one's mates. Now, I could have removed the jacket, kept my head down and tried not to attract attention. I could do what I did, which is smile rather triumphantly at them and walk off with my head held high and my jacket remaining both on and multi-coloured. I could have attacked them with a brick.

I didn't need to wear that jacket. I didn't need to look like I was celebrating a hard-won victory which I'd helped battle for. I didn't need to acknowledge them with even a scornful look, much less a probably rather smug expression. But on the other hand, was it really so wrong? If there should be no shame in doing something legal that does not, after all, impact anyone else, why should one not do it because some people think it's indecent? Particularly when no-one can really make a decent point for why it SHOULD be taboo. Why should people meep into a corner because of bullies - and make no mistake, trying to shame someone for feeding their child (or wearing a multi-coloured jacket) IS bullying - even if they do it in a way that is suggestive of making a statement. There would, after all, be no need to make the damn statement in the first place if it wasn't for those same rather bullying attitudes.

While we're being ridiculous, what if there was a bomb in her boob and the only thing that kept it from going off was if she breastfed right at that moment? And this was the one time she forgot to bring her collapsible Breastfeeding Tent?

All you're doing is trying to dodge the question as if you answer it honestly, and accept that yes that would be a state of undress and would be wholly inappropriate and unnecessary in order to necessitate breastfeeding, then you would have to concede other users points in the thread. What you'd much rather do is strawman people by implying their argument is that breastfeeding is always inconsiderate, period.
    OH NO! ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE! MY ONE WEAKNESS! SJW POWERS... FADING! I'M MELTIIIIIING!

Very mature and yet another attempt at dodging a point which was put to you. You seem incapable of accepting that there are some women that use breastfeeding in the media, under the guise of making it less taboo, as a means of getting attention. Nobody is saying all women who partake in these stories, articles, docus etc are, or even the majority, but without question there are some where it is quite clear that it is their main goal. In my experience other women can spot this quicker than men. Like I said, you're naive if you think that they all have noble reasons for what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I am attempting to find out if Kev is willing to agree that yes, it is possible for a woman to be inconsiderate whilst in the act of breastfeeding.
    I agree that it is definitely possible for a woman to be inconsiderate while breastfeeding.

I don't see any reason to believe that this woman set out to be inconsiderate though. In my opinion, a lack of discretion is not inconsiderate.
    If he does that, then it is just a matter of finding out where the line is for him and believe it or not he will then show himself to broadly be in agreement with most people on the thread which he is arguing with. .
    I don't really think so. Apart from a few total morons saying 'what about masturbation/pissing in a bottle', the line regarding what is acceptable/inconsiderate is exactly what is causing the disagreement.

I think much of the argument that she's looking for attention comes from her posting the picture and comments - it's undeniable that she made those posts to get attention.

But there seems to be an extension of the argument that because she posted the photo and the comments she did, therefore it's clear or obvious that she actually set out to breastfeed in a way that would promote some kind of reaction from a customer.

I don't see any reason to think it is more likely that she set out to get a negative reaction from a customer than it is likely she simply responded to a negative reaction from a customer.

Advertisement