Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT 2nd Fail after repair

Options
  • 05-12-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

My car (02 Ford Fiesta) failed the NCT on rear brake imbalance about 2 weeks ago, plus a faulty tail light and front side light.
    Left it into a local garage and they "repaired" the break issue and replaced a bulb also for the lights.

The light still didn't work properly after the work, but that turned out to just be a fuse. replaced the fuse and all fine.

The issue with the breaks however, have actually gotten worse when it went back for the test. The mechanic replaced the break shoes first time round.

My question is, where do I stand with regards the repairs? I specifically asked the mechanic to fix the issue that caused it to fail. IMO I shouldn't have to pay again to have it fixed - they didn't do the job the first time round. I spoke to the mechanic office this morning - typically they have no one on site this morning and I have to bring it back on Monday. Am i legally covered here anywhere, in that they didn't fix the issue?
    I fix computers as a side job, and if i didn't fix an issue for someone, I couldn't rightly charge them! The fact that the mechanic didn't fix the lights issue, when it was just a fuse, doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their work!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

new brake shoes take a while to bed in , this may be the problem. Did it fail on service brake or parking brake or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Des_ireland

Just the service brake on the rear axle..
    Readings first time were:
    Effort: 64%
    Near side: 0.770kN;
    Offside: 1.310kN
    Ovality:
    Near side: 15%
    Offside: 5
    Imbalance: 41%

Second time:
    Effort: 70%
    Near side: 0.840kN
    Offside: 1.720 kN
    Ovality:
    near side: 40%
    Off side: 64%
    Imbalance: 51%

Parking break effort and imbalance are nearly identical both times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

It seems Ovality is your problem. I know little about it but found this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84547391

New drums cost little and you should be able to fit them yourself

Thanks for that.. I'll leave it up to the mechanic to figure out what's wrong!

Do you know how I stand with the repairs themselves? I asked them to fix the issue but whatever work they completed didn't fix the issue and actually seems to have made it worse!

I assume I shouldn't have to pay for this again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Thanks for that.. I'll leave it up to the mechanic to figure out what's wrong!

Do you know how I stand with the repairs themselves? I asked them to fix the issue but whatever work they completed didn't fix the issue and actually seems to have made it worse!

I assume I shouldn't have to pay for this again!
    As suggested above, the new pads need time to bed in to old drums. The ovality is usually caused by worn drums / discs. Your mechanic did not replace them the first time, but may have to do it now.
    The thing with your mechanic is that he does not have the equipment to test the brakes the way they do it in the NCT centre. Surely, he could charge you for the replacement of the complete rear brake system and your car would most likely pass, but I see he tried to solve the problem with minimum cost and effort.

• Advertisement

I get where you're coming from.. From my point of view, I asked for a problem to be fixed and they didn't fix it.. I was charged over 150 for parts and labor to do the work. If they didn't know what was wrong then they should have told me and I could go to somewhere that can fix it..

I got the work done over 2 weeks ago.. How long do they usually take to bed in? I might have done about 250km at least over that time..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Either shoes wernt adjusted properly or the wheel cylinder is seized on one side.
    Id say they wernt adjusted properly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

There's a minimum thickness on drums as well. If it's still above it's worth to try re-surface it (skimming). If it's below they must be discarded as there is not much left for heat dissipation leading to warped drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I get where you're coming from.. From my point of view, I asked for a problem to be fixed and they didn't fix it.. I was charged over 150 for parts and labor to do the work. If they didn't know what was wrong then they should have told me and I could go to somewhere that can fix it..

I have to say from where I'm looking, the mechanic didn't try to screw you on the price the first time. They changed the parts they thought would get the car through the test the first retest, it didn't. It's not the end of the world. By your thinking the mechanic should pay for the drums and the labour to fit them, no disrespect but I don't think I'd like you as a customer.

I got the work done over 2 weeks ago.. How long do they usually take to bed in? I might have done about 250km at least over that time..
    250 km should be just about enough for the pads to settle in. Then I would check the adjustment of the shoes vs drums and the tension of both brake cables.

As I said before, the mechanic tried to do his best when charging you as little as possible for your car to pass the test. What do you expect him to do now - replace the drums at no cost? That is unreasonable in my view and as a customer you need to have a bit of understanding for the mechanic. Works on brake systems are simple enough, however you can almost guarantee the test will be passed when you replace all wear and tear components and adjust them correctly (but you would have to pay for all this in the first place!). The amount you were charged is hardly a ground breaking figure, just ask the mechanic to check the drums and replace them or skim the old drums if they are well within the limit. You will need to cover the cost of the new drums of course, but you can gently ask the mechanic for some discount on labour...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

What was the imbalance on the parking brake?

If there's no major imbalance on the parking brake then it'll be a hydraulic issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Where would that be then? What garage has the same or similar brake testing equipment as the nct? Very few I reckon. What garage would have done anything different than you're mechanic?

The only way to see if the problem is solved is to put it on the brake tester. There is no way to tell what the problem is from the fail sheet. It could be a number of things. The mechanic done the right thing imo by replacing the obvious first. Brakes can be tricky to get right sometimes. It's like flying blind without test equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

A gravel road is a good place to check BRAKE balance , just compare the skid marks , seriously.

Bigus wrote: »
    A gravel road is a good place to check BRAKE balance , just compare the skid marks , seriously.
    If you turn the ABS system off.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a mechanic to fix an issue and have it actually fixed.. If he doesn't have the test equipment and is flying blind then he's just guessing.. An educated guess I'll admit, but still a guess. By that measure, he can replace part after part until he gets the right one, meanwhile charging me time and time again for not actually fixing the issue. After he did repairs this time, the imbalance actually got worse, so I'm now further from a fix then when I started. If he can't do the job properly he shouldn't take it on. He didn't try rip me off with the work he did, but what was done hasn't fixed the issue. If I pay someone to fix a problem then I expect it to be fixed, not have a go and fingers crossed. There might not be many places with the test equipment, but he should have just said he couldn't do it because of this.
    I'll wait for a phone call on Monday to see what he says....

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a mechanic to fix an issue and have it actually fixed.. If he doesn't have the test equipment and is flying blind then he's just guessing.. An educated guess I'll admit, but still a guess. By that measure, he can replace part after part until he gets the right one, meanwhile charging me time and time again for not actually fixing the issue. After he did repairs this time, the imbalance actually got worse, so I'm now further from a fix then when I started. If he can't do the job properly he shouldn't take it on. He didn't try rip me off with the work he did, but what was done hasn't fixed the issue. If I pay someone to fix a problem then I expect it to be fixed, not have a go and fingers crossed. There might not be many places with the test equipment, but he should have just said he couldn't do it because of this.
    I'll wait for a phone call on Monday to see what he says....

Tell you he couldn't do it because he has no test equipment? What garage has brake test equipment? You won't many places to do it if you expect them to have a rolling road to test you're brakes. Any place that does have one will probably cost more just to test the brakes than the cost of an nct retest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Two ways to view it
    One mechanic replaces everything connected with rear brakes or Two replaces what he believes will fix it. There is a huge difference in price

I not seen any garages with the same brake test equipment as NCT.

So what option do you want 1 or 2 or do you want option 2 & freebies towards option 1 until your car is fixed.

visual wrote: »
    Two ways to view it
    One mechanic replaces everything connected with rear brakes or Two replaces what he believes will fix it. There is a huge difference in price

I not seen any garages with the same brake test equipment as NCT.

So what option do you want 1 or 2 or do you want option 2 freebies towards option 1 until your car is fixed.
    If the option one happened we would have a thread "Mechanic screwed me over for servicing my brakes".

Honestly, no garage or dealer has the same brake testing equipment as the NCT Centre.
    And secondly the NCT fail sheet does not say what parts are worn. The Mechanic did what he believed was right to fix the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It's quite easy to get an accurate idea of rear brake imbalance without having brake test rollers. The mechanic should have realised after fitting the shoes that the problem wasn't fixed. Unfortunately he didn't. These things happen from time to time, everybody makes mistakes.

In my opinion the fairest solution (and what we do in cases like this) would be to take the car back to the mechanic and get him to figure out what is causing the problem, if it is just a case of adjustment then the fault lies with how the work was carried out in the first place so he shouldn't charge you anything and in fact should also pay for the second retest for you.

If additional parts are needed to sort the issue (EG wheel cylinders) then he should fit and charge you for the extra parts minus the retest fee.

That way you get your car fixed and you aren't out of pocket. The mechanic is down €28 and some of his time but that's his own fault. It's not really reasonable to expect him to fix the issue for free regardless of the cause because that could end up being something far more serious than a set of shoes. To use your own computer repair analogy, that would be like you charging someone a small fee for reflowing some solder joints and then when that didn't fix the issue being expected to replace a motherboard FOC at significant cost to yourself.

It's quite easy to get an accurate idea of rear brake imbalance without having brake test rollers. The mechanic should have realised after fitting the shoes that the problem wasn't fixed. Unfortunately he didn't. These things happen from time to time, everybody makes mistakes.

In my opinion the fairest solution (and what we do in cases like this) would be to take the car back to the mechanic and get him to figure out what is causing the problem, if it is just a case of adjustment then the fault lies with how the work was carried out in the first place so he shouldn't charge you anything and in fact should also pay for the second retest for you.

If additional parts are needed to sort the issue (EG wheel cylinders) then he should fit and charge you for the extra parts minus the retest fee.

That way you get your car fixed and you aren't out of pocket. The mechanic is down €28 and some of his time but that's his own fault. It's not really reasonable to expect him to fix the issue for free regardless of the cause because that could end up being something far more serious than a set of shoes. To use your own computer repair analogy, that would be like you charging someone a small fee for reflowing some solder joints and then when that didn't fix the issue being expected to replace a motherboard FOC at significant cost to yourself.
    How is that then?

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    How is that then?

With both rear wheels off the ground have someone gradually apply the parking brake and compare the resistance by trying to turn each wheel as the brakes are applied. Repeat for service brake. This is very easy to do and gives you a very good idea of how the rear brakes are performing relative to each other.

On cars without ABS the sharp stop on a loose surface is also pretty reliable.

With both rear wheels off the ground have someone gradually apply the parking brake and compare the resistance by trying to turn each wheel as the brakes are applied. Repeat for service brake. This is very easy to do and gives you a very good idea of how the rear brakes are performing relative to each other.

On cars without ABS the sharp stop on a loose surface is also pretty reliable.

Non of what you say above is fool proof. There can still be an imbalance.

That was my first idea, and it was the way I used to do when servicing my Volkswagen Beetle years ago, as the brake system in that car needs manual adjustments every few thousand km. However, I am not sure if this method would be effective for the service brake as the forces the brakes are tested with are wide range of resistance and far greater than you can do it with your hands. But surely this is still by far the best method without using professional testing equipment.

Non of what you say above is fool proof. There can still be an imbalance.

Yes but not a huge imbalance like the OP's case. That would be competely obvious using the methods I outlined. Remember the NCT allows up to a 30% imbalance to pass, even a 30% imbalance will be easy to pick up on tbh.

Seweryn wrote: »
    That was my first idea, and it was the way I used to do when servicing my Volkswagen Beetle years ago, as the brake system in that car needs manual adjustments every few thousand km. However, I am not sure if this method would be effective for the service brake as the forces the brakes are tested with are wide range of resistance and far greater than you can do it with your hands. But surely this is still by far the best method without using professional testing equipment.

Obviously in an ideal world every garage would love to invest a 5 figure sum in brake test equipment, but in the real world the above method combined with a bit of common sense gets the job done in the vast majority of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yes but not a huge imbalance like the OP's case. That would be competely obvious using the methods I outlined. Remember the NCT allows up to a 30% imbalance to pass, even a 30% imbalance will be easy to pick up on tbh.
    +1 to this, this has been my experience too and I'm not even close to being a proper mechanic.

The OPs second NCT resulted in brake forces of 1.72 and 0.84 for the rear axle service brake. The car failed on this imbalance. The NCT calling this a "51% imbalance" is misleading and makes it sound less serious than it is.

It is nonsense to suggest that a garage would need brake rollers to check if one rear brake was producing more than double the force of the other.

Mine wasn't. The imbalance wasn't as bad as the op's but it was still a lot.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    +1 to this, this has been my experience too and I'm not even close to being a proper mechanic.

The OPs second NCT resulted in brake forces of 1.72 and 0.84 for the rear axle service brake. The car failed on this imbalance. The NCT calling this a "51% imbalance" is misleading and makes it sound less serious than it is.

It is nonsense to suggest that a garage would need brake rollers to check if one rear brake was producing more than double the force of the other.

Seeing as you're not I'll take you're dig at me with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Seeing as you're not I'll take you're dig at me with a pinch of salt.
    Your

• Advertisement

Mine wasn't. The imbalance wasn't as bad as the op's but it was still a lot.

There are always exceptions, refer to my post #26 above.

Advertisement