Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 2016 6Nations/Junior World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Have always understood that as a philosophy but really don't agree with it. They said the same when it went from 21s to 20.5s and from what I have seen that has made no difference. How many guys do you actually see playing J1/2/3/4 at the age of 20? From experience only a few clubs in the metro leagues would have that (UCD, Trinity and OB out of the senior clubs).

From my years of involvement 20s I would say plenty of players are way of the higher level of players in the first year and it is a great developing year for them. Outside of the big 2 Leinster 20s teams a 'second year team' is usually the only team to challenge them, I think this is proof of the point. Obviously, I'd imagine it is not as prominent a point in Munster due to the above point. Terenure last year, Tarf 4 years ago both second year teams who dominated the league that year.
    From my involvement in the sport you regularly see guys playing social rugby at 20. If their club has a lot of 20s and theyre not getting rugby and don't quit they play in the metro leagues
    Changing from 21s has made a considerable difference from what ive seen of rugby at this level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

From my involvement in the sport you regularly see guys playing social rugby at 20. If their club has a lot of 20s and theyre not getting rugby and don't quit they play in the metro leagues
    Changing from 21s has made a considerable difference from what ive seen of rugby at this level

I was excluding guys who don't play U20s at all as I don't see how they are relevant to the age grade discussion. If they are not playing 20s surely they don't come into a discussion on U20s??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 melpat54

Hagz wrote: »
    Happy to see Kyle Dixon involved. Very impressive in the LSSC.

Also, I think that's meant to be Matthew Bursey in the Backrow.

Hate to rain on anyone's,parade but the 3rd hooker was James Brennan who played in the last of the interprovincial matches against Ulster as replacement hooker. Hutchinson was dropped at the final cut of the u20 training camp

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rugbylover87

Bollard and Whittle have seriously impressed with trinity this season , saw their games against Landsowne and Bucaneers and both seemed to carry the pack and back line respectively , would either be in with a shot based on these performances ?

I saw Bollard against us at 20s and was not impressed at all, weak on his outside shoulder and bind. Personally (and I'll admit a slight bias) I'd go with Abdaladze over him. He did a massive job on the UCD scrum last week. I do think Whittle is good. I'd certainly think worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rugbylover87

Are you sure it was Bollard at loose that day ? I watched him in the interpros and he dominated each time , especially against a good Munster scrum . Hugely underestimated future prospect in my opinion

He was indeed, Abdaladze was at tighthead for tarf. It was the only time I have seen him and maybe he just had an off day but he looked very uncomfortable in the tight. Dropped his bind on numerous occasions and struggled to stay straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 melpat54

I saw Bollard against us at 20s and was not impressed at all, weak on his outside shoulder and bind. Personally (and I'll admit a slight bias) I'd go with Abdaladze over him. He did a massive job on the UCD scrum last week. I do think Whittle is good. I'd certainly think worth a shot.

Have to agree about abaladze another player in contention for no3 position is Adam Coyle

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Does anyone know what's going on with Conor Nash?.. There's a picture of him training with the Aussie International Rules team so presumably he's being looked at.. Would be a real shame to lose him.. Talk of him being the most promising underage back in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭RuPi

hype101 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's going on with Conor Nash?.. There's a picture of him training with the Aussie International Rules team so presumably he's being looked at.. Would be a real shame to lose him.. Talk of him being the most promising underage back in the country.

Still Under 18's so should probably be in the Youth thread but he was over in Australia For a trial during the summer, I think it was with Hawthorn Hawks. Presume he will have a number of offers following his leaving cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 chrstoper

Heard Arnold/Stockdale won't play in 6 nations, O'Donnell might not either)

1. Andrew Porter(Leinster)
    2. Adam McBurney(Ulster)
    3. Conan O'Donnell(Connacht)
    4. James Ryan(Leinster)
    5. Peter Claffey(Connacht)
    6. Greg Jones(Leinster)
    7. Will Connors(Leinster)
    8. Max Deegan(Leinster)
    9. John Poland(Munster)
    10. Bill Johnston(Munster)
    11. Hugo Keenan(Leinster)
    12. Paul Kiernan(Munster)
    13. Conor O'Brien(Leinster)
    14. Matthew Byrne(Leinster
    15. Jack Power(Leinster)
    16. Hugo Kean(Leinster)
    17. Vakh Albadaze(Leinster)
    18. Conor Kenny(Connacht)
    19. Sean O'Connor(Munster)
    20. Daniel Walsh(Munster)
    21. Nick Peters(Leinster)
    22. David O'Mahony(Munster)
    23. Rob Lyttle(Ulster)

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Saw Lansdowne 20s in 2 games this season and their front row were excellent big lads powerful in the scrum and well able to play, don't know their names but I would say some or all of them would be involved not sure if they are in list above

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Anyword on Dan Trayers? Is he involved in any rugby set up?

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Anyword on Dan Trayers? Is he involved in any rugby set up?

as far as i know, no.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Saw Lansdowne 20s in 2 games this season and their front row were excellent big lads powerful in the scrum and well able to play, don't know their names but I would say some or all of them would be involved not sure if they are in list above

depends who you saw but they have 3 leinster u19 front rows: Greg McGrath(LH/TH), Tadgh McElroy(Hkr) and Martin Mulhall(TH)

have a few other front rows but none that would push for ireland honours IMO and i'd be surprised if any of those played irleand u20 this year.

who'd you see them play?

Does anybody have a list of the squad or where it could be found for this weeks camp?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

chrstoper wrote: »
    depends who you saw but they have 3 leinster u19 front rows: Greg McGrath(LH/TH), Tadgh McElroy(Hkr) and Martin Mulhall(TH)

have a few other front rows but none that would push for ireland honours IMO and i'd be surprised if any of those played irleand u20 this year.

who'd you see them play?

Saw them against Terenure & UCD they were dominant in both but Porter not playing club 20s this year would have ben a help certainly ones to watch thanks for the names. The tighthead is a beast for under 19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Does anybody have a list of the squad or where it could be found for this weeks camp?
    No official list will be published for this weeks camp. First time anywhere official about squad for under 20s in 2016 will be the games they'll play at the end of the month

No official list will be published for this weeks camp. First time anywhere official about squad for under 20s in 2016 will be the games they'll play at the end of the month

Thought as much was hoping someone had an unpublished one

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MunsterMike

melpat54 wrote: »
    Have to agree about abaladze another player in contention for no3 position is Adam Coyle

have to agree melpat54 saw Coyle playing against Thomond in limerick with naas1xv last weekend he is a standout TH was very surprised that he was only 19

• Advertisement

have to agree melpat54 saw Coyle playing against Thomond in limerick with naas1xv last weekend he is a standout TH was very surprised that he was only 19

haven't seen any of Coyle. I hear he is predominantly a scrummaging prop, not overly productive around the park. Is that true? from what I've been told he's the best scrummaging TH at 20s

haven't seen any of Coyle. I hear he is predominantly a scrummaging prop, not overly productive around the park. Is that true? from what I've been told he's the best scrummaging TH at 20s

Conan O'Donnell is clearly the best scrummaging TH at 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MunsterMike

have seen him against munster in interpros and again in thomand and have to say he did stand out against munster for his scrummaging but have to disagree was also good when he had the ball in hand and made a lot of ground and good handoffs, like I said im surprised he is only 19 ill be watching with interest

Conan O'Donnell is clearly the best scrummaging TH at 20s.

Sorry head was in Leinster mode. I'd imagine your correct

Sorry head was in Leinster mode. I'd imagine your correct

it will be interesting to see if Coyle makes the irish squad, he was behind three other TH's last year for Ireland u19.

it will be interesting to see if Coyle makes the irish squad, he was behind three other TH's last year for Ireland u19.

Could be a very interesting squad. Potentially the first squad in a few years not dominated by Leinster (Lansdowne and UCD) players. Can only be a good thing.

Could be a very interesting squad. Potentially the first squad in a few years not dominated by Leinster (Lansdowne and UCD) players. Can only be a good thing.

considering the last two squads were more successful than previous ones i'm not sure how bad a thing it was.

there will be more munster players than last year though.

don't expect much from this years 20s based on interpros.

considering the last two squads were more successful than previous ones i'm not sure how bad a thing it was.

there will be more munster players than last year though.

don't expect much from this years 20s based on interpros.

Just think it is a good sign that Munster, Ulster and Connacht are producing more players again is a great think for Irish rugby. 20s shouldn't be seen as and end in my eyes and more a point of development. That is why I think it is a bad think to have any province over dominate in the squad.

Also good for Leinster club rugby to have more clubs represented.

Just think it is a good sign that Munster, Ulster and Connacht are producing more players again is a great think for Irish rugby. 20s shouldn't be seen as and end in my eyes and more a point of development. That is why I think it is a bad think to have any province over dominate in the squad.

Also good for Leinster club rugby to have more clubs represented.

this years 20's will be weaker than last years and probably the year before.

munster have a better group, but leinster are a good bit weaker and connacht/ulster have a handful of decent players.

less talent in this years team is a bad thing, even if the team isn't dominated by one province.

as about other clubs in leinster, there might be 1 player from clontarf and a player from terenure. Most of the leinster lads will be UCD/Lansdowne.

• Advertisement

this years 20's will be weaker than last years and probably the year before.

munster have a better group, but leinster are a good bit weaker and connacht/ulster have a handful of decent players.

less talent in this years team is a bad thing, even if the team isn't dominated by one province.

as about other clubs in leinster, there might be 1 player from clontarf and a player from terenure. Most of the leinster lads will be UCD/Lansdowne.

Are Whittle and Osbourne not in the mix? Or Coyne?

Advertisement