Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You know what, lets just have some sort of barcoding system or chip everyone, would that be a nice solution?

or maybe, just maybe, when something is not an issue (and it really isn't one) we just don't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Especially if they're coming straight at you on the wrong side of the road/ wrong way on cycle track....play chicken silently or be sworn at

Had that happen me also(on a 2 way cycle path), saw this dope coming towards me on his bike like he wanted to play chicken, then roar's "What the f**k!!" as he cycles past... Fookin' spacer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    You know what, lets just have some sort of barcoding system or chip everyone, would that be a nice solution?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

roverrules wrote: »
    Do you seriously think that its cheaper and less resources to check someone who isn't carrying ID rather than someone who is?

No, I didn't say that. It's more money to create and enforce a law that requires cyclists to carry ID.

I'm not sure why I'm wasting time batting your tennis balls back to you, when the Minister for Transport called time on this match yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I never got the argument against carrying ID. What's the problem with it, we are road users the same as everyone else. Cyclists and pedestrians should carry ID. I always have ID in case anything happened (touch wood) I want to be easily identified. Also an organ donor card. What's the big deal? Don't be a dickhead and AGS will have no reason to ask you for your ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Deedsie wrote: »
    I never got the argument against carrying ID. What's the problem with it, we are road users the same as everyone else. Cyclists and pedestrians should carry ID. I always have ID in case anything happened (touch wood) I want to be easily identified. Also an organ donor card. What's the big deal? Don't be a dickhead and AGS will have no reason to ask you for your ID.
    Would you have it illegal for a person to go out for a run in pocketless shorts without ID? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Deedsie wrote: »
    What's the big deal? Don't be a dickhead and AGS will have no reason to ask you for your ID.

So we have no reason to object to routine phone tapping or interception of our communications then? Sure, if we're honest, we have nothing to worry about?...

My friend who grew up in Belgium told me that the police used the mandatory ID card law there to harass his friends who came from ethnic minorities. I've never lived in a jurisdiction that has such a system, so I can't comment directly, but I never thought that Belgium was considerably safer or better run than its neighbours that don't have ID laws.

Once you say that pedestrians have to carry ID, you're in the realm of mandatory ID laws.

On the other hand, some countries have a voluntary ID card system. I wouldn't mind one of these, as I find the current system of using a driver's licence reinforces the notion that driving is part and parcel of being a grownup (passports are too valuable to carry around, and a bit too big).

ID card systems are pricey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Once you say that pedestrians have to carry ID, you're in the realm of mandatory ID laws.

But it might help do away with the guys that walk around with their hands down their tracksuit bottoms because they would need pockets for their ID. Now that would be a big win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Anyway, on a more relevant note, some in the department of transport have found a new 2 wheeled bogeyman, those yokes you stand on that have 2 little wheels, like miniature segways, have been been banned for use in public places in Ireland.

Are they not banned in other countries also.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11926027/Hoverboard-scooters-are-illegal-to-ride-in-public-police-say.html

https://reason.com/archives/2015/11/29/nyc-bans-the-hoverboard

But unlike other countries, we ban things on paper and continue on as normal.
    We have plenty of laws but enforce very few

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hungry4k

Murphy has got this badly wrong for a number of reasons.

If a person has a bank card then they have proof of ID and the Fixed Penalty Notice can take it's usual route.

If he is worried about people without any ID giving false information, then he should point to some evidence that this is a problem. As a previous poster pointed out, this is a far more serious offence and one that the Gardai have many and various powers to deal with.

Finally, the proposition "that good cyclists have no reason to be against this" is worrying, ignorant at best and shows a lack of respect for the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,011 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

kazamo wrote: »
    Has there been much evidence of the FPN's being enforced ?
    Haven't seen any in my area and behaviour is much the same as last year, maybe one or two more using lights for night time cycling but that's about it

Nothing's changed, and good job too.

This nonsense was brought in so it looks like an FG minister is doing something while in office.

I still see people RLJ'ing on my journey to and from work. 99.9% will do it when the way is clear, usually at pedestrianless pedestrian crossing.

Nobody dies...it's amazing!

If the Gardai were serious in their pursuit of these urban terrorists, they only have to hang out for a bit at the junction near the Barge pub on the way to Ranelegh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Big Brother is watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

On the other hand, some countries have a voluntary ID card system. I wouldn't mind one of these, as I find the current system of using a driver's licence reinforces the notion that driving is part and parcel of being a grownup (passports are too valuable to carry around, and a bit too big).

ID card systems are pricey though.

There is a new 'passport card', brought out with a great farty fanfare a few weeks ago. You have to pay extra for it, have to have a real passport as well, and it only works in some countries, but it might do you if that's what you want.

There is a new 'passport card', brought out with a great farty fanfare a few weeks ago. You have to pay extra for it, have to have a real passport as well, and it only works in some countries, but it might do you if that's what you want.
    Yes, I might get that the next time I'm renewing.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Big Brother is watching

From his eagle's nest in Clontarf.
    350025.jpeg
    350026.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Have the passport card, it says who you are but not where you live.

It doesn't contain your PPS number nor your address, so difficult for the Guard to be sure about the address he has to send the FCPN to.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Nothing's changed, and good job too.

This nonsense was brought in so it looks like an FG minister is doing something while in office.

I still see people RLJ'ing on my journey to and from work. 99.9% will do it when the way is clear, usually at pedestrianless pedestrian crossing.

Nobody dies...it's amazing!

If the Gardai were serious in their pursuit of these urban terrorists, they only have to hang out for a bit at the junction near the Barge pub on the way to Ranelegh.

There is more to safety than RLJ'ing.

When cycling at night wouldn't it be good that lights were really mandatory, not just a nice idea on a statue book, but rarely enforced.

After work I go for a walk most evenings and the majority of cyclists I meet are without lights and on the footpath and some add in texting to make it a bit more interesting.

When the FPN's were introduced I didn't believe it was any more than a box ticking exercise by politicians and I have yet to see evidence to the contrary.

But remember it doesn't replace the paper passport for most countries. It only works in the European Economic Area, and is a supplement to the paper passport, and costs €35 for five years. Though it might be a collector's item in the future.

• Advertisement

I think, from the above responses, I will skip getting the passport card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think, from the above responses, I will skip getting the passport card!

It's handy for getting back into the country - I used it travelling from the US last week.

It's also handy as an id card when abroad, especially for those countries where you're required to carry id and/or surrender your passport when you check in to a hotel. The card means not having to give up control of your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,011 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There is more to safety than RLJ'ing.

When cycling at night wouldn't it be good that lights were really mandatory, not just a nice idea on a statue book, but rarely enforced.

After work I go for a walk most evenings and the majority of cyclists I meet are without lights and on the footpath and some add in texting to make it a bit more interesting.

When the FPN's were introduced I didn't believe it was any more than a box ticking exercise by politicians and I have yet to see evidence to the contrary.

In my experience, which is EVERY DAY, the vast, vast majority of cyclists are lit up and always have been. They do it because they know if they're hit, they come off the worst. Even the "hi viz" craze came in because cyclists started wearing them, before it became a "thing" to tell cyclists to do.

Most cyclists are very aware that they are the vulnerable road user and take the necessary precaution and anyone cycling around town for a little bit knows that there are some real dangerous gobshites sitting in cars.

The cyclists that don't probably never did and probably won't, regardless of FPN's.

Tony EH wrote: »
    In my experience, which is EVERY DAY, the vast, vast majority of cyclists are lit up and always have been. They do it because they know if they're hit, they come off the worst. Even the "hi viz" craze came in because cyclists started wearing them, before it became a "thing" to tell cyclists to do.

Most cyclists are very aware that they are the vulnerable road user and take the necessary precaution and anyone cycling around town for a little bit knows that there are some real dangerous gobshites sitting in cars.

The cyclists that don't probably never did and probably won't, regardless of FPN's.

And in my experience which is walking at least 50km a week in the evenings after work, the well lit cyclist on the road is noticed by me as he\she is in the small minority after 7pm.
    We are comparing our own experiences and I personally don't see cyclists I meet as vulnerable road users as most aren't using the road mainly as they don't have lights. Pedestrians become the vulnerable footpath users at night as enforcement is a rarity if at all.

I agree there are dangerous gob****es in cars and they are dangerous gob****e cyclists too. FPN's and penalty points are the prescribed way of dealing with both idiot groups, but no enforcement means no change.

All FPN's have done imo. is generate publicity and nothing else.

I respect any cyclist who uses the road and lit up.
    I even respect the one who use the footpaths but have lights and slow down when they meet pedestrians.
    It's the clowns who use footpaths without lights and go as fast as they possibly can expecting that the whole world should stop for them. FPN's should have curbed that behaviour and I don't see any change unfortunately.

After work I go for a walk most evenings and the majority of cyclists I meet are without lights and on the footpath

Where is this?

Where is this?

Sallins\Naas

Jawgap wrote: »
    It's handy for getting back into the country - I used it travelling from the US last week.

It's also handy as an id card when abroad, especially for those countries where you're required to carry id and/or surrender your passport when you check in to a hotel. The card means not having to give up control of your passport.

Very good point. I'm leaning back towards getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I agree there are dangerous gob****es in cars and they are dangerous gob****e cyclists too.

You forgot 'dangerous gob****e pedestrians'. They are an issue too.

Sallins\Naas

Interesting.

I'm generally pretty relaxed about cyclists on the footpath as long as they are not acting inconsiderately (some are, most are fine)

Very curious though because certainly in Dublin it is only a tiny minority who would cycle on the footpath.

• Advertisement

Very good point. I'm leaning back towards getting it.

And of course you'll have it as a souvenir - with its Celticky Curlicues - to show the grandchildren.

Advertisement