Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Tony EH wrote: »
    Even the "hi viz" craze came in because cyclists started wearing them, before it became a "thing" to tell cyclists to do.

This is true. I started wearing a Sam Browne and wrist cuffs during the day of my own volition. It was quite uncommon at the time, due to making you look like a dork.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Interesting.

I'm generally pretty relaxed about cyclists on the footpath as long as they are not acting inconsiderately (some are, most are fine)

Very curious though because certainly in Dublin it is only a tiny minority who would cycle on the footpath.

I have the same attitude re footpath cyclists.....and I have posted either here or on another thread that I understand why some cyclists use footpaths and have no issue with it as long as they show consideration for other users

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Not carrying ID isn't always a problem just for FPNs
    http://www.cheshire.police.uk/news-and-appeals/news/police-appeal-for-help-in-identifying-man-who-sadly-died-this-weekend/

Not sure if he's been ID'd yet but RIP and sympathies to his family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Jawgap wrote: »
    It's handy for getting back into the country - I used it travelling from the US last week.

It's also handy as an id card when abroad, especially for those countries where you're required to carry id and/or surrender your passport when you check in to a hotel. The card means not having to give up control of your passport.

It's also handy for any situation where you need photo ID (eg: collecting something from the DHL office) if you don't have anything else. Try showing them a credit card and see how far it gets you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

roverrules wrote: »
    Not carrying ID isn't always a problem just for FPNs
    http://www.cheshire.police.uk/news-and-appeals/news/police-appeal-for-help-in-identifying-man-who-sadly-died-this-weekend/

Not sure if he's been ID'd yet but RIP and sympathies to his family

He was subsequently identified.

Anyone use RoadID?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Anyone use RoadID?

Yep - picked one up a few weeks ago when they had their sale. Lives on my arm now. Nearly all of my cycling is solo so it was always a concern.

Wonder if they would accept your RoadID as a valid ID?! You're hardly going to go around with a false ID on your wrist........

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Anyone use RoadID?

Got my RoadID recently too. Haven't taken it off really. Nice piece of kit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The Eoghan Murphy story has made it all the way to badthingshappeningtocyclists.com, sorry Road.cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The Eoghan Murphy story has made it all the way to badthingshappeningtocyclists.com, sorry Road.cc.
    Was he told the story orally? Both Fina Gael and Fina Fail mentioned. At least it wasn't Fina Gwail and Feena Fall I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

In case people haven't seen this from the Stolen Bikes thread, Limerick gardaí have busted a big stolen bike export scam:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/garda-op-uncovers-stolen-bike-export-racket-in-limerick-369298.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

In case people haven't seen this from the Stolen Bikes thread, Limerick gardaí have busted a big stolen bike export scam:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/garda-op-uncovers-stolen-bike-export-racket-in-limerick-369298.html

Unfortunately, the miscreants were wearing hi-vis vests and had their earphones turned down really low, so there will be no perp walk to the ATM for them...

In other news, fair play to the Guards for getting pro-active with this sort of thing.

Damn, actually meant to cross-post it to Jan & Klodi and put it here by mistake :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I always thought Jan and Kodi was a private soiress for men of a certain type, I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise and you wouldn't have had your afternoon cheered up by my thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I always thought Jan and Kodi was a private soiress for men of a certain type
    What's a soiress? Is that like what you get when you don't apply chamois cream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Meh, I never studied French so the pluralisation of their words and where to put the squiggles is lost on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

CramCycle wrote: »

Either way, not worried as its just a TD trying to get his name a bit higher up in the papers before election time.

Exactly, and Eoghan has a history of doing this. He did it before when he "turned" on his party before the elections. He was only too happy to tow the party line up until that point.

He's an awful chancer, he'd say anything to get the popular vote and ensure that he keeps his seat. Same as the rest of them maybe, but you'd like something a bit more progressive in a young TD.

When will people stop standing for this kind of crap??

Lumen wrote: »
    What's a soiress? Is that like what you get when you don't apply chamois cream?

Maybe it's what you get when you hang around online forums for men of a certain type? (Cyclists, I mean.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

has anyone actually been pinged?
    not "i know someone who knows someone"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/new-onthespot-40-fines-issued-to-almost-600-rogue-cyclists-34676938.html

According to the Indo, almost 600 rogue cyclists have been issued with fines on the spot.
    I wonder have (m)any Boardsies been nailed.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/new-onthespot-40-fines-issued-to-almost-600-rogue-cyclists-34676938.html

According to the Indo, almost 600 rogue cyclists have been issued with fines on the spot.
    I wonder have (m)any Boardsies been nailed.

How many non-rogue cyclists :D

I love the expression 'rogue cyclists' - it makes it seem like there's an outlaw element out there! It's edgy ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgVn6sWcsnwf0v1MB95IoI3HKeYTv3VfdPpSIPDWIMmmSQ0lgb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

How many non-rogue cyclists :D

I love the expression 'rogue cyclists' - it makes it seem like there's an outlaw element out there! It's edgy ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgVn6sWcsnwf0v1MB95IoI3HKeYTv3VfdPpSIPDWIMmmSQ0lgb

Rogue cyclists is about right. Gardai didn't just decide one day to target cyclists. They are usually reactionary, ie when something starts to become a big problem they react. Like motorists getting 'the form stamped', so they put a stop to that's, or introducing power output limits for new motorcyclists because anyone could buy a litre bike and cause carnage.

If the majority of cyclists obeyed traffic rules, they wouldn't have been targeted. So yes, you can blame the 'rogue' cyclists.

Newstalk mentioned it in passing this morning, when the presenter (don't know what the show was, because I quickly turned it off) asked the lady he was talking to, as a "sole representative of cyclists" (i.e. she cycles) to defend this behaviour (that led to 600 FPNs). She didn't do a very good job, talking about the new system of "penalty points" for cyclists, and how Dublin was the least cycling-friendly city in Europe.

RTÉ, funnily enough, did a better, indirect job on the news report. Their final sentence was something like: "In the same period, twenty thousand motorists have been fined for speeding."

pablo128 wrote: »
    Rogue cyclists is about right. Gardai didn't just decide one day to target cyclists. They are usually reactionary, ie when something starts to become a big problem they react. Like motorists getting 'the form stamped', so they put a stop to that's, or introducing power output limits for new motorcyclists because anyone could buy a litre bike and cause carnage.

If the majority of cyclists obeyed traffic rules, they wouldn't have been targeted. So yes, you can blame the 'rogue' cyclists.

I'm not sure it was ever a 'big problem' just like I'm positive it hasn't had a major impact on cyclist behaviour. There's no doubt more cyclists are being held to account tha ever before, but realistically when you see the numbers involved it's not like the Guards are waging jihad against miscreant cyclists.

It's a good headline though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'd like to see a system where offences comitted on a bicycle resulted in points being applied to the offenders driving license.
    It would be much more successful .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'd like to see a system where offences comitted on a bicycle resulted in points being applied to the offenders driving license.

So what about people who don't have a driving licence?

This has happened. Once anyway. Will see if I can find it.

I wonder what will happen when they are disqualified.

They will have to find some other mode of transport that doesn't require a valid driving license..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I'd like to see a system where offences committed in a car resulted in points being applied to the offender's driving licence. It could be very successful.

The vast majority of motorists know well that the chances of being caught breaking a light or using the phone are tiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

As a person who criscrosses the city everyday 6.30-7.30
    am and 4-5pm by bike,I have never seen a cyclists being stopped let alone being spoken to by a guards.

I've seen plenty of cyclists breaking red lights.

I also see plenty of motorists speeding excessively, driving dangerousl, breaking red light and using their mobiles.

I would actually see more incidents of motorists breaking laws over cyclists.

Before you start, I do stop at lights.

I'd like to know where, when and what were the offences.

Also, what is the success rate of actually getting the fine paid.

Advertisement