Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

@Lyaiera H&M seem to have a few midis that could be what you're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 16 10354127

deise_girl I have returned clothes bought online in store in New Look. They just refund money to your card.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I want to order clothes from Apricot but they don't deliver to Canada, apparently. Does anyone have any tips for getting around that, short of getting a friend to send it on? A kind of Parcel Motel for further afield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I really want to pick up a few bits from Zara and Forever 21. However, I don't live anywhere near either of these places and I can't find it in myself to order from two different shops in the one weekend. I'm almost considering using Parcel Motel to trick myself into thinking that if I don't answer the door to the postman it doesn't count.... I think I have a problem :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Quick question - I got an email from New Look with a discount code for my next order - is there any way I can use it in store. I normally shop online as there's no New Look near me but I may be going to one tomorrow and was planning on getting a few things I refer to try on before I buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Quick question - I got an email from New Look with a discount code for my next order - is there any way I can use it in store. I normally shop online as there's no New Look near me but I may be going to one tomorrow and was planning on getting a few things I refer to try on before I buy.

What about trying them on and taking note of codes and sizes and then order online?

What about trying them on and taking note of codes and sizes and then order online?
    Then I've to wait for them to be delivered! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Dublin city centre where I could get a dress for a ball? Preferably €100 or less. I was looking online but I'm pretty short and I don't want to end up with something that needs a tonne of alterations to look half-decent. A long dress is preferable but I could go with a short one that was really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Maybe Folkster? I love that place, having been introduced to it only recently! If you look at their website they have plenty of dresses in your budget. They're in Temple Bar, right beside the IFI.

....speaking of Folkster! :pac: I bought a skirt there the other week, it's maxi length and a mix of 80% polyester and 20% spandex. The way it's cut means it opens at the front, but there's a built-in mini skirt as a layer so it's not indecent. My problem is, the material sticks to my legs/tights instead of hanging down, and looks really weird when I'm walking :o

Does anyone have any ideas on how to combat this? I tried the trick of spraying hairspray on my tights and the inside of the skirt in case it was pure static, but no joy. Because of the built in mini skirt and the way it opens at the front, I don't know that a slip would help without looking even more odd. Maybe a silk lining? I really love the skirt so I'm willing to try any suggestions!

Pic of skirt in question:

149dddae7db0c1369f2a3d5840381438.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

53043628_99.jpg

http://shop.mango.com/IE/p0/women/new/leather-trench/?id=53043628_99&n=1&s=nuevo&ident=0__0_1443974494233&ts=1443974494233

Was in town with the missus yesterday casually trawling some of the shops. Went into Mango and we both really liked the leather trench above. She wasn't happy with the condition of both examples of her size (one was slightly torn and the other was marked quite a bit) so we left it. She's away for a week so I'm tempted to order it online for her..... what are Mango like for returns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Luno wrote: »
    I really want to pick up a few bits from Zara and Forever 21. However, I don't live anywhere near either of these places and I can't find it in myself to order from two different shops in the one weekend. I'm almost considering using Parcel Motel to trick myself into thinking that if I don't answer the door to the postman it doesn't count.... I think I have a problem :(

I just had a look on https://www.opsh.com/ there - they do forever 21 but not Zara - I think you put in the one order but just checked and the clothes are delivered from the different retailers so wouldn't solve your problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

jokettle wrote: »
    Maybe Folkster? I love that place, having been introduced to it only recently! If you look at their website they have plenty of dresses in your budget. They're in Temple Bar, right beside the IFI.

....speaking of Folkster! :pac: I bought a skirt there the other week, it's maxi length and a mix of 80% polyester and 20% spandex. The way it's cut means it opens at the front, but there's a built-in mini skirt as a layer so it's not indecent. My problem is, the material sticks to my legs/tights instead of hanging down, and looks really weird when I'm walking :o

Does anyone have any ideas on how to combat this? I tried the trick of spraying hairspray on my tights and the inside of the skirt in case it was pure static, but no joy. Because of the built in mini skirt and the way it opens at the front, I don't know that a slip would help without looking even more odd. Maybe a silk lining? I really love the skirt so I'm willing to try any suggestions!

Pic of skirt in question:

I wonder would silk stockings/tights help?
    Or attaching a safety pin inside the skirt, I seem to remember something about diverting the electric charge or something?! Sorry I can't be more specific about how it works but it allegedly does... personally when i have static cling issues I dampen my hands often, works for me as I always have a bottle of water about my person but in fairness I probably look like a lunatic periodically patting myself down with slightly damp hands :pac:
    Great skirt by the way, definitely worthy of the effort!

Any one know how quick New Look are with their deliveries?
    I ordered last night and selected the express 2 working days delivery, so figured that processing and shipment would be today and delivery to land on Friday. I got a confirmation last night of the order but got no email confirmation today of the despatch....

I know I have ordered from them before and they have been fine for delivery but I selected the express delivery and am impatient now!!

This documentary is on Netflix now (The True Cost)- its well worth a watch:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3162938/

This is a story about clothing. It's about the clothes we wear, the people who make them, and the impact the industry is having on our world. The price of clothing has been decreasing for decades, while the human and environmental costs have grown dramatically. The True Cost is a groundbreaking documentary film that pulls back the curtain on the untold story and asks us to consider, who really pays the price for our clothing? Filmed in countries all over the world, from the brightest runways to the darkest slums, and featuring interviews with the world's leading influencers including Stella McCartney, Livia Firth and Vandana Shiva, The True Cost is an unprecedented project that invites us on an eye opening journey around the world and into the lives of the many people and places behind our clothes. Written by Michael Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Does anyone know what boohoo are like for returns? The lady in the post office didn't give me proof of postage see just kept saying it was free and I didn't need it, so I'm not feeling hopeful! I only sent it yesterday mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Does anyone know what boohoo are like for returns? The lady in the post office didn't give me proof of postage see just kept saying it was free and I didn't need it, so I'm not feeling hopeful! I only sent it yesterday mind.

They take ages to refund your money to you, but they've never asked me to produce proof of postage.

I've a question of my own, anyone know where to get good no VPL underwear? Are the packets of 5 in m&s any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Quick question folks. Blue suede shoes and beige chinos - what colour socks?

Can I ask a quick question: I have ordered something from Brown Thomas (a handbag). Got an email to say it has been dispatched. Because I can't wait until tomorrow when it will (hopefully) be delivered: Just wondering what is the packaging like, will it be all nicely presented or will it be like other online shopping and wrapped in black plastic or in a plain brown box?
    *excited* :D

what are Mango like for returns?

You can return to the stand alone stores now - it used to be crap as you'd have to post back to Spain! There's a big store on Henry Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ams wrote: »
    You can return to the stand alone stores now - it used to be crap as you'd have to post back to Spain! There's a big store on Henry Street.

Many thanks for that. We had gone into Henry Street where she tried the coat. It had quite a few marks and so she wasn't happy to buy there and then. I bought online and it was absolutely brand new, wrapped in paper/plastic with zero marks so we didn't have to return it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Can I ask a quick question: I have ordered something from Brown Thomas (a handbag). Got an email to say it has been dispatched. Because I can't wait until tomorrow when it will (hopefully) be delivered: Just wondering what is the packaging like, will it be all nicely presented or will it be like other online shopping and wrapped in black plastic or in a plain brown box?
    *excited* :D

I can't vouch for handbags, but when I ordered make-up from them in came really nicely presented in a black box with tissue and what not. Quite a contrast to my usual Boohoo orders :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

So Kate Middleton had to go to India to make some interesting fashion choices...FINALLY!

Addle wrote: »
    Do Kate Middleton had to go to India to make some interesting fashion choices...FINALLY!

That white and black dress was stunning! She had a nice casual dress with wedges on one day too, it really suited her. Nice to see her out of the grandma-style suits etc :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Logged onto eBay this evening and on the front page there was this wedding dress and I thought "I've seen that somewhere before" but couldn't remember where so I Googled Kate Middleton, and up pops a pic of her in this green dress is it just me, or are they the same bar colour?

Jenny-Packham-Fall-2013-Elegant-Short-sleeves-Bridal-Dress.jpg

cd2c926362ac5cb290bd3f358b8379e5.jpg

Very, very similar. Are you tempted by the dresses on ebay or just doing a bit of research before buying from a bricks and mortar shop? So many horror stories of formal wear bought online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

That's a Jenny Packham dress that Kates wearing, I love that style, but if be weary to buy a copy off eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Yeah, I'd echo the sentiments above....

Recent article on Buzzfeed - https://www.buzzfeed.com/sapna/say-no-to-the-dress?utm_term=.ctQP6xnLvp#.yvyxEX3v9q showed how many customers were misled by cheap knock-off clothing

Now, I'm not saying that will happen in this instance, just best to be wary and read up on the sellers' reviews/feedback.

Heh I'm not buying the dress unfortunately, just it came up on eBay and I knew I'd seen it somewhere before but wasn't sure where so Googled Kate by chance and it came up.

I would love to get the teal one, its absolutely stunning. One of my favourite dresses she's worn.

Yeah that was one instance where Kate managed to look elegant AND young - often I feel that her outfits would look more appropriate on a woman of her mother's age. It must be very difficult to dress as a member of the royal family, with the likes of the Daily Mail analysing (and inevitably criticising) every sartorial choice.

For the last few years, my MO when it comes to shopping has been to go to boohoo.com, do a huge haul and send back whatever doesn't fit. Nearly 2 years ago, I moved to Canada, where shipping and sales taxes make it pretty pricey to buy clothes (relatively speaking). Boohoo cover all taxes and shipping charges, so I kept buying from them. But Canada Post is crazy expensive, and the cost of returning a dress is usually greater than the cost of the dress, so I've just ended up donating all the dresses that don't fit.

After my last 'haul', I was hit by a wave of absolute disgust at myself. I spent all of this money on sh*tty quality dresses, at least 30% of which don't fit. I get a season or two out of wearing them, and then I throw them out. Even if I love a dress, and get loads of compliments on it, it will only last so long before it shrinks/washes out/ goes out of style/ I get sick of it.

Last month, I saw a gorgeous DVF dress at an outlet mall. It was outrageously expensive, even at a significant discount. I knew it would look great on me, but I walked away without even trying it on. But the more I'm thinking about it, the more I realise that that dress was made from top-quality materials. It would last for years, and it would look far better than many of the "it just about fits okay" dresses that I currently have in my wardrobe. The cost-per-wear would likely be quite low in the end!

Anyway, long story short, I think I'm finally at the point in my life where I'm ready to start spending money on decent quality pieces that cost more, but last longer and fit better. I probably still can't pay DVF prices (!), but can anyone point me in the direction of some better quality stores that I should look at?

• Advertisement

Faith, since you're in Canada, would you consider posting for advice on reddit? I've asked questions there when I've visited north America and Canada in the past, since the users are mostly from those regions. They might have some more specific advice on shops that are accessible to you. Reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice is where I've gone in the past :)

Good suggestion, Jo, thanks! I'm moving back in a couple of months, though, so it's good to know the Irish/UK brands too :)

Faith wrote: »
    Good suggestion, Jo, thanks! I'm moving back in a couple of months, though, so it's good to know the Irish/UK brands too :)

Ooh yay! That's great :)

I've just gotten a job offer for something I've been after for a while, and since I'm now going to have a "proper grown up" job, I'm in much the same position. I want to spend more and have a good quality, smaller wardrobe that's work appropriate but probably also something I could wear out/on weekends.

I plan on checking out Cos, maybe Reiss, and definitely Warehouse, Zara and Oasis. I know that last 3 aren't the most high-end, but they'd be more within my budget and have some good basic pieces.

Maybe checking out Kildare Village might be an idea as well? I have a lovely silk skirt from Karen Millen I bought there a few years ago. Ooh, and Ted Baker too! They have some lovely stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I love coast for dressy dresses. and I'm not one for donning a dress at all! bought this one in debenhams the other week for 110 i think and it feels lovely and looks good on.(not petite but couldn't find the link)

Quick q - does anyone know if there is a minimum spend to get free delivery when buying from River Island online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Quick q - does anyone know if there is a minimum spend to get free delivery when buying from River Island online?

Theres a 20% discount code I used earlier in the week SS16XIE, don't now if it's still working

Theres a 20% discount code I used earlier in the week SS16XIE, don't now if it's still working
    Sweet!! Yes it works, saved 15 and got free delivery too! Thanks a mill Champagne Pop!

Does anyone here use Depop? I started using it recently and have "liked" a few items and within a few hours I have a private message from the seller asking me am I interested in buying the item. Its starting drive me mad and its putting me off using it.

I haven't commented, bought etc yet so I don't know why these sellers think its okay to message me asking if I want to buy, I mean, surely if I wanted to buy I would either comment, or click the buy button?!

Its starting to really put me off. :o

I haven't used it but I'm wondering why you would click like if you're not interested in buying?

• Advertisement

I cannot believe it! I have literally worn the ar$e out of a pair of jeans! I've had a pair of Awear jeans for many years, totally not in fashion, flared, so comfy, short length so I can wear them with trainers, flats, flip flops, flat boots in winter, timberland style boots when at rallies. Ends of them worn away from being dragged on the ground. Have gotten so many compliments on them over the years, they fit me so well.

Turns out I have literally worn them to death! And Awear is gone!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I used to live in Awear jeans. Wore them away at the thighs many a time (not a good sign for my legs :pac:)
    I feel your pain sunny

Folks, i was just wondering if anyone on here has ever heard of or used shirtbyhand.ie?

I was mooching around looking for a place to buy shirts online, and was searching boards. Seen someone shilling the above site (rarely a good sign, admittedly), but flicked onto the website, and aside from questionable image rights/usage, it seems a decent service (if it is, indeed, trustyworthy).

Was wondering if anyone had ever heard of or used them?

I'm looking to get a couple of decent shirts to replace Tesco's Finest that I've outgrown. But I find that I have two shirts I like. One is branded Benetti and is a 16.5" neck. The other is branded White Label and is a 17.5" neck. Both fit reasonably well. Because of this, I don't want to splash a load of cash online, and get a few shirts I can't wear (same applies to retail stores - I was in Dublin today and took a wander around a fair few stores, from Debenhams, Dunnes, Penneys, etc. and although I was on the verge of buying a few in Debenhams, I found that because the price point was relatively high at €40-60 per shirt, i thought it was too risky to spend that and have nothing fit. (And unfortunately, having shirts open, to try on, doesn't seem to be the done thing, even though every company seems to measure the same distance differently).

Anyone any advice?
    (for what it's worth, the White Label shirt is good. Great material, etc. but can't seem to find them online).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

I don't. do. girl. clothes.
    Wish I did! They don't feel right or look right on me 'n I can't wear them properly.
    The shapes, fabric, and designs are just not my thing.
    This is a source of great frustration for me and my (extremely popular and fashionable) bff when we shop together.
    Wish my style (or lack thereof) was more acceptable... to everyone.
    Just venting here, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Folks, i was just wondering if anyone on here has ever heard of or used shirtbyhand.ie?

Just saw this now- I've recently bought 2 shirts (another on order!) and I'm VERY happy with them. Laurence who does the measuring etc) is great, knows what he's at, and is very professional.

My first shirt had to go back to be refitted, but I don't have an issue with that- something bespoke is unlikely to fit perfect immediately, and it just needed a bit of tweaking.

The only issue I have is that some of the stitching on one of the buttonholes on one of my shirts has unravelled a little, but it's not noticeable, and doesn't effect the shirt quality.

But for €69 delivered, it's perfect. As a woman who likes more masculine style, trying to find a shirt that had the collar and cuffs I like, but with the ability to fit both my boobs and my neck properly (if it fit across the chest, the neck would gape HORRIBLY) was really difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

B00! wrote: »
    I don't. do. girl. clothes.
    Wish I did! They don't feel right or look right on me 'n I can't wear them properly.
    The shapes, fabric, and designs are just not my thing.
    This is a source of great frustration for me and my (extremely popular and fashionable) bff when we shop together.
    Wish my style (or lack thereof) was more acceptable... to everyone.
    Just venting here, sorry.

TBH I used to feel exactly like you and now I just brush off the weird looks. Especially since I tend to dress better than a lot of guys wearing menswear. Not saying I'm brilliant or anything, but at 35 I'm confident enough.

Have you checked out DapperQ and other blogs for women in menswear inspiration? Instagram (check the #DapperQ tag) will be your friend- there's LOADS of us out there. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

TBH I used to feel exactly like you and now I just brush off the weird looks. Especially since I tend to dress better than a lot of guys wearing menswear. Not saying I'm brilliant or anything, but at 35 I'm confident enough.

Have you checked out DapperQ and other blogs for women in menswear inspiration? Instagram (check the #DapperQ tag) will be your friend- there's LOADS of us out there. :cool:

Thanks b&c, just hate it when people important to me look at me with judgement. I try to fit in, but I can't seem to pull off the look well enough (and it feels wrong.)

I have only checked out your pinterest posts (and drooled), so thanks, will check out the blogs for sure! Really :eek: loads? (yay! oh yay!) :D...in my world, I seem to be the only one :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I have the skirt in the below pic that I want to wear to a wedding in July. I bought it last year and I wore it to a wedding with a top similar to the pic and loved it but over all it was a more casual look than I'd normally go for at weddings. This wedding is gonna be more dressy than that one so I need a different top to wear with it but I'm totally stumped as to what style to wear. I think I like the idea of a Bardot style top but I always feel they can be quite restrictve around shoulders and arms.

I'm 5ft nothing, size 10 and can look very busty in low cut tops so would like to avoid deep cuts.

419600.PNG

Has anyone seen anything that might look well with it? I'm quite short between my bust and hips so blazers don't really sit well on me and I'm not concerned with getting a top that suits a jacket or anything.

When looking last time for a top I couldn't find any other colour other than white that went well with it so if anyone has a recommendations for alternative colours for the top too that would be amazing!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Is anyone else fed up of all the Harry Potter and Disney stuff that's in Penneys at the moment? Clothes, nightwear, homewear, accessories. Seems to be impossible to get any thing else in there at the moment.
    Either that or I'm getting too old for Penneys?!

Is anyone else fed up of all the Harry Potter and Disney stuff that's in Penneys at the moment? Clothes, nightwear, homewear, accessories. Seems to be impossible to get any thing else in there at the moment.
    Either that or I'm getting too old for Penneys?!
    No I agree. I don’t get the obsession with Harry Potter - I would have gone to the cinema to see the films but that was years ago. The Disney stuff is fine in the kiddies section but in the adults? Think I’m a bit long in the tooth for it. I’ve found my local Penneys to have gotten quite poor this last few months. Before I could leave without dropping at least €50, now I walk out with nothing, it’s very meh. You see nice things on Instagram and on bloggers instastories from Mary St and Liffey Valley but the stock is not appearing down the country and if it does, they get a very small amount in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

No I agree. I don’t get the obsession with Harry Potter - I would have gone to the cinema to see the films but that was years ago. The Disney stuff is fine in the kiddies section but in the adults? Think I’m a bit long in the tooth for it. I’ve found my local Penneys to have gotten quite poor this last few months. Before I could leave without dropping at least €50, now I walk out with nothing, it’s very meh. You see nice things on Instagram and on bloggers instastories from Mary St and Liffey Valley but the stock is not appearing down the country and if it does, they get a very small amount in.

Absolutely agree. I'm in Limerick and both stores here really seem to have gone downhill. I go down to Kerry a good bit and both stores there are much better. Tralee in particular is a good store.

But yeah, the Disney stuff is doing nothing for me. To be honest I find it a bit strange when grown adults have a Disney obsession (I have a 40 year friend like this)

• Advertisement
Advertisement