Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Luno wrote: »
    I really want to pick up a few bits from Zara and Forever 21. However, I don't live anywhere near either of these places and I can't find it in myself to order from two different shops in the one weekend. I'm almost considering using Parcel Motel to trick myself into thinking that if I don't answer the door to the postman it doesn't count.... I think I have a problem :(

I just had a look on https://www.opsh.com/ there - they do forever 21 but not Zara - I think you put in the one order but just checked and the clothes are delivered from the different retailers so wouldn't solve your problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

jokettle wrote: »
    Maybe Folkster? I love that place, having been introduced to it only recently! If you look at their website they have plenty of dresses in your budget. They're in Temple Bar, right beside the IFI.

....speaking of Folkster! :pac: I bought a skirt there the other week, it's maxi length and a mix of 80% polyester and 20% spandex. The way it's cut means it opens at the front, but there's a built-in mini skirt as a layer so it's not indecent. My problem is, the material sticks to my legs/tights instead of hanging down, and looks really weird when I'm walking :o

Does anyone have any ideas on how to combat this? I tried the trick of spraying hairspray on my tights and the inside of the skirt in case it was pure static, but no joy. Because of the built in mini skirt and the way it opens at the front, I don't know that a slip would help without looking even more odd. Maybe a silk lining? I really love the skirt so I'm willing to try any suggestions!

Pic of skirt in question:

I wonder would silk stockings/tights help?
    Or attaching a safety pin inside the skirt, I seem to remember something about diverting the electric charge or something?! Sorry I can't be more specific about how it works but it allegedly does... personally when i have static cling issues I dampen my hands often, works for me as I always have a bottle of water about my person but in fairness I probably look like a lunatic periodically patting myself down with slightly damp hands :pac:
    Great skirt by the way, definitely worthy of the effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Any one know how quick New Look are with their deliveries?
    I ordered last night and selected the express 2 working days delivery, so figured that processing and shipment would be today and delivery to land on Friday. I got a confirmation last night of the order but got no email confirmation today of the despatch....

I know I have ordered from them before and they have been fine for delivery but I selected the express delivery and am impatient now!!

This documentary is on Netflix now (The True Cost)- its well worth a watch:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3162938/

This is a story about clothing. It's about the clothes we wear, the people who make them, and the impact the industry is having on our world. The price of clothing has been decreasing for decades, while the human and environmental costs have grown dramatically. The True Cost is a groundbreaking documentary film that pulls back the curtain on the untold story and asks us to consider, who really pays the price for our clothing? Filmed in countries all over the world, from the brightest runways to the darkest slums, and featuring interviews with the world's leading influencers including Stella McCartney, Livia Firth and Vandana Shiva, The True Cost is an unprecedented project that invites us on an eye opening journey around the world and into the lives of the many people and places behind our clothes. Written by Michael Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Does anyone know what boohoo are like for returns? The lady in the post office didn't give me proof of postage see just kept saying it was free and I didn't need it, so I'm not feeling hopeful! I only sent it yesterday mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Does anyone know what boohoo are like for returns? The lady in the post office didn't give me proof of postage see just kept saying it was free and I didn't need it, so I'm not feeling hopeful! I only sent it yesterday mind.

They take ages to refund your money to you, but they've never asked me to produce proof of postage.

I've a question of my own, anyone know where to get good no VPL underwear? Are the packets of 5 in m&s any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Quick question folks. Blue suede shoes and beige chinos - what colour socks?

Can I ask a quick question: I have ordered something from Brown Thomas (a handbag). Got an email to say it has been dispatched. Because I can't wait until tomorrow when it will (hopefully) be delivered: Just wondering what is the packaging like, will it be all nicely presented or will it be like other online shopping and wrapped in black plastic or in a plain brown box?
    *excited* :D

what are Mango like for returns?

You can return to the stand alone stores now - it used to be crap as you'd have to post back to Spain! There's a big store on Henry Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ams wrote: »
    You can return to the stand alone stores now - it used to be crap as you'd have to post back to Spain! There's a big store on Henry Street.

Many thanks for that. We had gone into Henry Street where she tried the coat. It had quite a few marks and so she wasn't happy to buy there and then. I bought online and it was absolutely brand new, wrapped in paper/plastic with zero marks so we didn't have to return it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Can I ask a quick question: I have ordered something from Brown Thomas (a handbag). Got an email to say it has been dispatched. Because I can't wait until tomorrow when it will (hopefully) be delivered: Just wondering what is the packaging like, will it be all nicely presented or will it be like other online shopping and wrapped in black plastic or in a plain brown box?
    *excited* :D

I can't vouch for handbags, but when I ordered make-up from them in came really nicely presented in a black box with tissue and what not. Quite a contrast to my usual Boohoo orders :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

So Kate Middleton had to go to India to make some interesting fashion choices...FINALLY!

Addle wrote: »
    Do Kate Middleton had to go to India to make some interesting fashion choices...FINALLY!

That white and black dress was stunning! She had a nice casual dress with wedges on one day too, it really suited her. Nice to see her out of the grandma-style suits etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Logged onto eBay this evening and on the front page there was this wedding dress and I thought "I've seen that somewhere before" but couldn't remember where so I Googled Kate Middleton, and up pops a pic of her in this green dress is it just me, or are they the same bar colour?

Jenny-Packham-Fall-2013-Elegant-Short-sleeves-Bridal-Dress.jpg

cd2c926362ac5cb290bd3f358b8379e5.jpg

Very, very similar. Are you tempted by the dresses on ebay or just doing a bit of research before buying from a bricks and mortar shop? So many horror stories of formal wear bought online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

That's a Jenny Packham dress that Kates wearing, I love that style, but if be weary to buy a copy off eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Yeah, I'd echo the sentiments above....

Recent article on Buzzfeed - https://www.buzzfeed.com/sapna/say-no-to-the-dress?utm_term=.ctQP6xnLvp#.yvyxEX3v9q showed how many customers were misled by cheap knock-off clothing

Now, I'm not saying that will happen in this instance, just best to be wary and read up on the sellers' reviews/feedback.

Heh I'm not buying the dress unfortunately, just it came up on eBay and I knew I'd seen it somewhere before but wasn't sure where so Googled Kate by chance and it came up.

I would love to get the teal one, its absolutely stunning. One of my favourite dresses she's worn.

Yeah that was one instance where Kate managed to look elegant AND young - often I feel that her outfits would look more appropriate on a woman of her mother's age. It must be very difficult to dress as a member of the royal family, with the likes of the Daily Mail analysing (and inevitably criticising) every sartorial choice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

For the last few years, my MO when it comes to shopping has been to go to boohoo.com, do a huge haul and send back whatever doesn't fit. Nearly 2 years ago, I moved to Canada, where shipping and sales taxes make it pretty pricey to buy clothes (relatively speaking). Boohoo cover all taxes and shipping charges, so I kept buying from them. But Canada Post is crazy expensive, and the cost of returning a dress is usually greater than the cost of the dress, so I've just ended up donating all the dresses that don't fit.

After my last 'haul', I was hit by a wave of absolute disgust at myself. I spent all of this money on sh*tty quality dresses, at least 30% of which don't fit. I get a season or two out of wearing them, and then I throw them out. Even if I love a dress, and get loads of compliments on it, it will only last so long before it shrinks/washes out/ goes out of style/ I get sick of it.

Last month, I saw a gorgeous DVF dress at an outlet mall. It was outrageously expensive, even at a significant discount. I knew it would look great on me, but I walked away without even trying it on. But the more I'm thinking about it, the more I realise that that dress was made from top-quality materials. It would last for years, and it would look far better than many of the "it just about fits okay" dresses that I currently have in my wardrobe. The cost-per-wear would likely be quite low in the end!

Anyway, long story short, I think I'm finally at the point in my life where I'm ready to start spending money on decent quality pieces that cost more, but last longer and fit better. I probably still can't pay DVF prices (!), but can anyone point me in the direction of some better quality stores that I should look at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Faith, since you're in Canada, would you consider posting for advice on reddit? I've asked questions there when I've visited north America and Canada in the past, since the users are mostly from those regions. They might have some more specific advice on shops that are accessible to you. Reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice is where I've gone in the past :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Good suggestion, Jo, thanks! I'm moving back in a couple of months, though, so it's good to know the Irish/UK brands too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Faith wrote: »
    Good suggestion, Jo, thanks! I'm moving back in a couple of months, though, so it's good to know the Irish/UK brands too :)

Ooh yay! That's great :)

I've just gotten a job offer for something I've been after for a while, and since I'm now going to have a "proper grown up" job, I'm in much the same position. I want to spend more and have a good quality, smaller wardrobe that's work appropriate but probably also something I could wear out/on weekends.

I plan on checking out Cos, maybe Reiss, and definitely Warehouse, Zara and Oasis. I know that last 3 aren't the most high-end, but they'd be more within my budget and have some good basic pieces.

Maybe checking out Kildare Village might be an idea as well? I have a lovely silk skirt from Karen Millen I bought there a few years ago. Ooh, and Ted Baker too! They have some lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I love coast for dressy dresses. and I'm not one for donning a dress at all! bought this one in debenhams the other week for 110 i think and it feels lovely and looks good on.(not petite but couldn't find the link)

Quick q - does anyone know if there is a minimum spend to get free delivery when buying from River Island online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Quick q - does anyone know if there is a minimum spend to get free delivery when buying from River Island online?

Theres a 20% discount code I used earlier in the week SS16XIE, don't now if it's still working

Theres a 20% discount code I used earlier in the week SS16XIE, don't now if it's still working
    Sweet!! Yes it works, saved 15 and got free delivery too! Thanks a mill Champagne Pop!

Does anyone here use Depop? I started using it recently and have "liked" a few items and within a few hours I have a private message from the seller asking me am I interested in buying the item. Its starting drive me mad and its putting me off using it.

I haven't commented, bought etc yet so I don't know why these sellers think its okay to message me asking if I want to buy, I mean, surely if I wanted to buy I would either comment, or click the buy button?!

Its starting to really put me off. :o

I haven't used it but I'm wondering why you would click like if you're not interested in buying?

• Advertisement

I cannot believe it! I have literally worn the ar$e out of a pair of jeans! I've had a pair of Awear jeans for many years, totally not in fashion, flared, so comfy, short length so I can wear them with trainers, flats, flip flops, flat boots in winter, timberland style boots when at rallies. Ends of them worn away from being dragged on the ground. Have gotten so many compliments on them over the years, they fit me so well.

Turns out I have literally worn them to death! And Awear is gone!! :(

Advertisement