Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I find Penneys' sizing to be all over the place, and often have to size up for things like underwear and swimwear.

Trying on first is the only way to guarantee something will fit. For the prices though, I don't mind too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I've kind of given up on Penneys really, find that paying more elsewhere means I have to buy less and saves me money in the long run. Not a Penneys snob mind you, still go in for underwear, hairbobbles etc (and love their homeware).
    But I totally agree with you on sizing. I'm a size 16, there's things i own out of there in a size 12 and yet, there are some items that even a size 20 doesn't fit me. It drives me mad and I just avoid clothes in there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=96516973

Came across these yesterday and they look 10 times better in the flesh. LK Bennett Francis...... I need to get a pair for the missus. Not feckin' cheap though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Luno wrote: »
    Oasis - I paid full whack for that stupid dress only a few weeks ago and now you've decided to reduce it to over half price?!? Anyone else ever experience this? I actually visited several shops to find my size in the dress thinking to myself great it'll be sold out soon but no they are all in stock on their website at half price, very frustrating. :(

The dress has been reduced a further 10 euro, I'm not shopping in Oasis again, after finding it so hard to get this dress in my size both online and in stores, it is in full stock on the website and presumably in stores. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The dress has been reduced a further 10 euro, I'm not shopping in Oasis again, after finding it so hard to get this dress in my size both online and in stores, it is in full stock on the website and presumably in stores. :mad:

Stores are allowed reduce prices as they please, a bit of bad luck due to timing is no reason to boycott them for the rest of your days!

• Advertisement

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Stores are allowed reduce prices as they please, a bit of bad luck due to timing is no reason to boycott them for the rest of your days!

I know I know, I am just very upset, knowing me I will be back in there in a weeks time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Something similar happened to me. I bought a dress on ASOS for a wedding, paid just over €70 for it, and now it's reduced to €41.

PITA unfortunately, just one of those things really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Don't think this warrants it's own thread so I'll put it here!

How does everybody with Toms here keep them clean? I've started to wear those pop socks you can get with them (probably should have done so all along :P) but they could do with a wash. They're too fragile for the washing machine though ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Don't think this warrants it's own thread so I'll put it here!

How does everybody with Toms here keep them clean? I've started to wear those pop socks you can get with them (probably should have done so all along :P) but they could do with a wash. They're too fragile for the washing machine though ?

I've a couple of pairs of Toms so I've a couple of tips for you. Firstly I always wear them with with the no show style socks I get mine in penny's the quality's not great but there cheap and they work. If they have gotten dirty I will wash them now I do hand wash them using a small amount of hot water a but if hand washing powder and a soft bristle brush I use a toothbrush. I then leave them to dry making sure they've dried fully. I've usually put a bit of newspaper in them but I don't overstuff them. Now you could try putting them in your washing machine on a hand wash or delicates cycle but I haven't tried that yet so I can't tell you how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Can I ask, what are toms? I have never heard of them before :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

All the pretty scarves for winter sell out way too fast:(

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

All the pretty scarves for winter sell out way too fast:(

If you don't mind buying online, etsy have some lovely scarves. I've ordered an oversize, knitted navy cowl style for myself. :) I ordered a pistachio green one for my friend and it was so pretty I needed one too :pac:

bnagrrl wrote: »
    If you don't mind buying online, etsy have some lovely scarves. I've ordered an oversize, knitted navy cowl style for myself. :) I ordered a pistachio green one for my friend and it was so pretty I needed one too :pac:

I always get overwhelmed on Etsy and end up not getting anything instead of getting everything! :o I will definitely have a browse and see if I can see anything, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Just Janice

Littlewoods online are worth a look also. I always find them really easy to receive deliveries from and more importantly to return to.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Can't recommend Zara enough for scarves! Really good value and so cosy. Picked one up recently and now I want every colour they have, they're massive, like blankets, and oh so fleecy and snuggly.

Can't recommend Zara enough for scarves! Really good value and so cosy. Picked one up recently and now I want every colour they have, they're massive, like blankets, and oh so fleecy and snuggly.

Had my eye on one, out of stock on the website so went into my local and none either :( I'll probably pick up a different one cause they're lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Had my eye on one, out of stock on the website so went into my local and none either :( I'll probably pick up a different one cause they're lovely.

I was in the zara in Dundrum today and they had a plethora of scarves, all the ones I've seen on the website plus a few I hadn't. But if you're no where near there I could try to get the one you're after and post it to you if that's any use!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I have a general idea of a skirt I want, but I have no clue where to find it. I just don't know the shops well enough. I'm looking for a midi skirt to go with a pair of white suede Docs, made of a heavy material for winter and casual enough for day time wear. Anything I've found that I like is made of a jersey material which just doesn't work for the cold weather for me (and goes weird when you're wearing tights under it.) If I had money I'd pay a friend to make one for me and take me fabric shopping.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Im looking at clothes for Christmas and theres a few pieces on New Looks website.. I was thinking of just ordering a heap of them and getting free delivery and then just returning what I didnt want. Are returns a handy enough process with New Look? Can I just bring them back in store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

@Lyaiera H&M seem to have a few midis that could be what you're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 16 10354127

deise_girl I have returned clothes bought online in store in New Look. They just refund money to your card.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I want to order clothes from Apricot but they don't deliver to Canada, apparently. Does anyone have any tips for getting around that, short of getting a friend to send it on? A kind of Parcel Motel for further afield?

I really want to pick up a few bits from Zara and Forever 21. However, I don't live anywhere near either of these places and I can't find it in myself to order from two different shops in the one weekend. I'm almost considering using Parcel Motel to trick myself into thinking that if I don't answer the door to the postman it doesn't count.... I think I have a problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Quick question - I got an email from New Look with a discount code for my next order - is there any way I can use it in store. I normally shop online as there's no New Look near me but I may be going to one tomorrow and was planning on getting a few things I refer to try on before I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Quick question - I got an email from New Look with a discount code for my next order - is there any way I can use it in store. I normally shop online as there's no New Look near me but I may be going to one tomorrow and was planning on getting a few things I refer to try on before I buy.

What about trying them on and taking note of codes and sizes and then order online?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What about trying them on and taking note of codes and sizes and then order online?
    Then I've to wait for them to be delivered! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Dublin city centre where I could get a dress for a ball? Preferably €100 or less. I was looking online but I'm pretty short and I don't want to end up with something that needs a tonne of alterations to look half-decent. A long dress is preferable but I could go with a short one that was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Maybe Folkster? I love that place, having been introduced to it only recently! If you look at their website they have plenty of dresses in your budget. They're in Temple Bar, right beside the IFI.

....speaking of Folkster! :pac: I bought a skirt there the other week, it's maxi length and a mix of 80% polyester and 20% spandex. The way it's cut means it opens at the front, but there's a built-in mini skirt as a layer so it's not indecent. My problem is, the material sticks to my legs/tights instead of hanging down, and looks really weird when I'm walking :o

Does anyone have any ideas on how to combat this? I tried the trick of spraying hairspray on my tights and the inside of the skirt in case it was pure static, but no joy. Because of the built in mini skirt and the way it opens at the front, I don't know that a slip would help without looking even more odd. Maybe a silk lining? I really love the skirt so I'm willing to try any suggestions!

Pic of skirt in question:

149dddae7db0c1369f2a3d5840381438.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

53043628_99.jpg

http://shop.mango.com/IE/p0/women/new/leather-trench/?id=53043628_99&n=1&s=nuevo&ident=0__0_1443974494233&ts=1443974494233

Was in town with the missus yesterday casually trawling some of the shops. Went into Mango and we both really liked the leather trench above. She wasn't happy with the condition of both examples of her size (one was slightly torn and the other was marked quite a bit) so we left it. She's away for a week so I'm tempted to order it online for her..... what are Mango like for returns?

Advertisement