Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kodi Android TV Streaming Box [Livingsocial + wetek group]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

dodzy wrote:
    OK, we get it. You think the wetek is rubbish. You've said it enough.

I had one detailed post stating that the spec is low. I didn't say it was rubbish i said it was underspecced
    dodzy wrote:
    In contrast, for 53€, I know this is a bargain. It'll have plenty of ongoing support, you can add a sat/terr tuner which is a huge plus IMO, and despite you're scare-mongering, you do not need a degree in engineering to operate these; there is plethora of youtube tutorials for any concerned folks plus for those of us who like tinkering, there will be plenty of ROMs available, allowing you to personalize it.

Its not hard to use for sure, but there are technophobes that will struggle, plenty of examples on the android forum of people frustrated and uncertain about configuration. A couple of examples in this thread too of people not understanding what these boxes do and how they do it. This box is only worth it if one requires a dvb tuner too. Thats why resellers do well with boxes like these as many people like preconfigured, plug and play systems and thats the value add of a reseller.

dodzy wrote:
    And you're comparing it to something that costs over 300% more is pretty ridiculous.

Agreed, but the comparison was for me alone not a generalisation. The shield suits my needs better due to gaming functionality and is future proof due to its impressive specs. For me it was a no brainer to spend the extra 100 but for others it would be a waste. The wetek is widely reviewed as underpowered and user experience on fora supports this position. I have a lot of high bitrate 1080p with dts and kodi can be sluggish on this box with such media.
    dodzy wrote:
    In addition, i'd be very keen for your recommendations on the 'better spec'd boxes for less money' ????

Better specs albeit without dvb tuner. If you need a cheap box with dvb then get this but expect some sluggishness. If you need just a kodi box then check out aliexpress which has better spec boxes for the same price and even cheaper. There's a great thread in the android forum.

Tbh i would personally wait for a newer revision of the wetek. A slow dual core system with 1gb ram will have its limitations. The box was never worth 90 to begin with. I think 54 is a fair enough price with the tuner but forcing a bulk purchase to obtain this price is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Okay, Guy in Paypal said that the best thing to would be to send all the payments as "Personal" - So it would be held for our security, and then from there pay Wetek/Openelec.tv

So, does anyone want to look after this?

Whatever the 2 groups split into now, or setup a paypal account or use their existing?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭CyaL8r

If ye r looking to fill a third group (i.e. get to 36) then put me down for a DVB-S2 and pay with PayPal. IF I have missed the boat though that is no bother either. Thanks

Locked down the Spreadsheet, someone changed the amount each person wanted to 1.

Only 3 added I think since the last post, so it should be only 3 extra DVB-S2.
    One more will split into 3 groups.

GY A1 - 3 or 4
    Allyall - 2
    Ush - 2

Who else wants more than 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Anyone handy with money? I'd personally prefer to not have to handle such a large operation, with work I only get home at 7 so taking delivery could prove quite tricky.

If there's no other option I'll see what I can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gillamandango

I am not around for deliveries but am in the Clare/Mayo areas regularly if that helps anyone with dropoffs..Ennis and Claremorris are best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Invincible

GY A1 wrote: »
    have a wetek box packaging
    and the package size is 210mmx160mm x 90mm deep

As Allyall mentioned, if we all are signed up for Parcel Wizard, there's 3 free deliveries before year end.

3 Free Parcel Wizard Deliveries for Every Customer

https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/UK-Virtual-Address

Has anybody already emailed and asked them if they would be interested in doing this?

Wetek could deliver to them, and they could use an address list we gave them..? - It's Christmas..:D (Almost)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭dodzy

Allyall wrote: »

Has anybody already emailed and asked them if they would be interested in doing this?

Wetek could deliver to them, and they could use an address list we gave them..? - It's Christmas..:D (Almost)
    It would mean that they (DPD) would have to break down the bulk packaging and then repackage I guess. More work in it for them. I'm waiting for Wetek to get back. If they were to give us a unique code for 53.99 (with us guaranteeing 30+ purchases ), that would be the ideal as everybody pays individually. Only downside for them is the transport, but we will see. Best option I reckon.

There is someone on the list that asked for 2, but is down as 1.
    I think it's ks44 or delboy76, because I think it was someone that wanted a DVB-T

Unfortunately I hadn't screen captured it before they were all changed to 1.

Ahh - Revision history :)

35 Boxes on spreadsheet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

if we are breaking it up into 3 orders of 12, I'll look after one of them if you are stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭styron

Allyall wrote: »

Parcel Wizard is an EU only operation:
    Can I place an order to a country outside the UK and use the My UK Virtual Address?

As long as the parcels originate from within the EU and the retailer you purchase from has a delivery option to Northern Ireland. However, DPD is not responsible for any charges on delivery e.g. Payment on Delivery, customs duties etc. and deliveries of this nature will not be accepted into the My UK Virtual Address.

https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/Help-FAQ/faqcategory/-1/CurrentPage/2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

i can distribute 12 if needs be aswell

DPD contact form on their website has replied to me..

This is hardly urgent is it? ;)
    I had asked would someone be able to advise us the best way to handle these, or would everyone have to sign up individually to the 3 free deliveries promo.
    Any other way to contact them?

I can't ring.
    If someone else could....:)

Hello,
    I will be out of the office with no access to email until Tuesday the 1st of December. Any urgent queries, please send to supervisors@dpd.ie.
    Otherwise, I will revert to you on my return.

Best Regards,
    Jen Maiers
    DPD Ireland

Private, Confidential and Privileged. This e-mail and any files and
    attachments transmitted with it are confidential and/or privileged.
    They are intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. The
    content of this e-mail and any file or attachment transmitted with it
    may have been changed or altered without the consent of the author. If
    you are not the intended recipient, please note that any review,
    dissemination, disclosure, alteration, printing, circulation or
    transmission of this e-mail and/or any file or attachment transmitted
    with it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this
    e-mail or any file or attachment transmitted with it in error please
    notify IT Department, DPD Ireland, Athlone T [URL="tel:%2B%20353%2090%206420500"]+ 353 90 6420500[/URL].

Registered in Ireland No. 113012. Registered Office : Athlone Business Park, Dublin Road, Athlone, Co. Westmeath, Ireland
    Directors: Brendan O'Neill, Conor O'Neill, James Lohan, Dwain McDonald (British), David Adams (British)

styron wrote: »

Yeah, hopefully we can order from wetek/openelec.tv and send them to ParcelWizard.

Then they can distribute them to account holders..

Unless there is an easier way?

So
    Aquos76 and GY A1

first 12 people to pay personal into your paypal and organise delivery from there? I presume PM you?

I think we need 1 more box to split into 3 x 12.

Would the easiet way be, 3 people buy 12 each, and then when delivery comes, each of the 3 people distribute it to the other 11 people thru parcel motel, I assume the size qualifies for the €4.50 rate?

Where are these actually been sent from, is there any danger of us been caught for duty on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

i think they ship from slovenia, its european anyway
    no duty due on that

edit its slovenia

Well I'm happy to get the ball rolling on this, only payment I'll take at the start is the €54 and once they are delivered to me, I'll contact each person individually and arrange a method of delivery, either PM if they have a PM acc or via registered post.

The first 11 to send me a PM will be in my order.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Would the easiet way be, 3 people buy 12 each, and then when delivery comes, each of the 3 people distribute it to the other 11 people thru parcel motel, I assume the size qualifies for the €4.50 rate?

Where are these actually been sent from, is there any danger of us been caught for duty on these?

Dodzy is waiting for Wetek to reply to him regarding taking payment individually through PayPal by providing unique code.

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »
    Dodzy is waiting for Wetek to reply to him regarding taking payment individually through PayPal by providing unique code.

Spot on, I'll hold fire till he gets a reply so.

Spot on, I'll hold fire till he gets a reply so.

If that work's, they could send them to Parcel Wizard for us?!

But we are then waiting to see if parcel wizard would then split them up for us, making sure each person gets the correct one they ordered, I'd be surprised if they would accomade us with this to be honest.

There's no way parcel wizard will do that. It doesn't make any sense for them too, especially if we aren't paying. I'm happy to pay for delivery, whatever means we use.

But we are then waiting to see if parcel wizard would then split them up for us, making sure each person gets the correct one they ordered, I'd be surprised if they would accomade us with this to be honest.

Sorry for not being clear, I meant if they accepted orders individually as dodzy enquired using a unique code and a sizable order, could they not send out individually then, to our Parcel Wizard address, as they state Free Worldwide Delivery on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭dodzy

No, as others have said, that wont work. If 3 batches of 12 are ordered, its fair to assume that there will be 12 boxes to a carton. DPD will not break these down and then refer to a list with 36 different PW IDs for individual dispatch, not a chance. Our best chance is a unique code (BOARDS FRIDAY for example, or whatever). My carrot here ( to them ) was the assurance of whats looking like a € value sale to them of in excess of €2000. They are not Amazon; someone will take notice. We still have time to await a reply from them as this will be the best option by far.

Failing that, i'll take a batch of 12 along with the other lads and distribute accordingly.

Sorry for not being clear, I meant if they accepted orders individually as dodzy enquired using a unique code and a sizable order, could they not send out individually then, to our Parcel Wizard address, as they state Free Worldwide Delivery on their site.

If that was the case we could just get them sent to our own addresses then, no need to get PW involved

• Company Representative Posts: 174 Verified rep DPD Ireland: Liam

Hi guys,

We received a PM to have a look at this thread. Could someone call our Headoffice and ask for Effie on 0906420500, as we'll need to gather some more info on what you're looking for.

Liam

I'm surprised no one has been back in touch from wetek. Surely this must be a fairly decent order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Is anyone actually using one of these boxes with Saorview at the moment?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement