Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kodi Android TV Streaming Box [Livingsocial + wetek group]

Options
  • 17-11-2015 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

Available through LivingSocial. Seems a good deal. My family's chrome cast stopped working for some reason so this seems like a cheap easier to use (for non technophiles) alternative.

Apologies for no link the boards mobile site doesn't seem to accept copy and pastes ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Can this box be updated
    An Over The Air (OTA) update applies to the manufacturer’s firmware version and simply means that new versions can be downloaded to the device via the internet. Not all manufacturers offer this facility but it is a good sign when they do that the device will be well supported throughout its life-cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DERICKOO wrote: »
    Can this box be updated
    An Over The Air (OTA) update applies to the manufacturer’s firmware version and simply means that new versions can be downloaded to the device via the internet. Not all manufacturers offer this facility but it is a good sign when they do that the device will be well supported throughout its life-cycle.

Kodi apps auto update, you need to drop new firmware on the box to update the system itself

I just run it on my mac and airplay it, no box needed then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

DERICKOO wrote: »
    Can this box be updated

Its a basic MXQ. 30€ on Aliexpress. The usual ridiculously over exagerrated RRP. It's fine for kodi / showbox and the like. Dont put openelec on it though. If you're going to take the plunge, then I'd advise getting the Rii keyboard also - currently €15 on LS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I've had a few streaming boxes. Some that run XMBC / Kodi. Alot of them are really clunky. They felt thrown together and you are constantly hacking them and trying to get controllers to work.

If you're in the market for one the Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick are superb. They'll probably be discounted coming up to Black Friday. I got them last year for £49 (Fire TV) and £25(TV Stick) with Amazon Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I bought the exact same box last month for €31 here

• Advertisement

groom wrote: »
    I've had a few streaming boxes. Some that run XMBC / Kodi. Alot of them are really clunky. They felt thrown together and you are constantly hacking them and trying to get controllers to work.

If you're in the market for one the Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick are superb. They'll probably be discounted coming up to Black Friday. I got them last year for £49 (Fire TV) and £25(TV Stick) with Amazon Prime.

These cheapos are fine for what they are / cost. No need to hack them. People are obsessed with meddling with FTA boxes, Android boxes, updating FW, etc and in many cases there's absolutely no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muloc

+1 You can get the fire stick for £35 currently which works out cheaper than €51

My point is that the Amazon devices are in and around the same price (sometimes / Black Friday) and they have a far superior build quality. They are proper end user products.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Kodi apps auto update, you need to drop new firmware on the box to update the system itself

I just run it on my mac and airplay it, no box needed then :)

Have Kodi 15.2 on my laptop hooked up to LG Smart 3d tv, but was thinking this for bedroom and what you said rattled my memory have an old dell Inspiron 17inch only sitting there, really would be wasting my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

What would the customs charge be...
    A workmate got one and said it came with showbox pre installed I doubt Amazon Fire would do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

What would the customs charge be...
    A workmate got one and said it came with showbox pre installed I doubt Amazon Fire would do that

I have a mx3 and have had mk809b and also have a firestick. Firestick it Deffo most stable .

Lots of tutorials on YouTube and in an hour u will have kodi up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

brightkane wrote: »
    I have a mx3 and have had mk809b and also have a firestick. Firestick it Deffo most stable .

Lots of tutorials on YouTube and in an hour u will have kodi up and running.

Is fire TV stick much good without prime subscription, or outside the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Is fire TV stick much good without prime subscription, or outside the UK?

I don't have a prime sub. I just use it for kodi (and all that it brings) and Netflix. Nothing else . Remote is a beaut to use imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Must see how much a fire stick will cost in the sales. Might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

brightkane wrote: »
    I don't have a prime sub. I just use it for kodi (and all that it brings) and Netflix. Nothing else . Remote is a beaut to use imo.

+1 for the remote its excellent, and if you use dolby I don't think you'll find anything similar for the price. You need to do some fecking around to connect a mouse for apps like showbox that may be fixed in the next update. Also if you use a few apps like showbox, kodi, iplayer etc. I find it has to be rebooted regularly presumably orphan stuff in the background when you exit an app. A memory cleaning app may be sufficient. If you're using a few apps definitely worth installing wukong remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any way of getting a Fire Stick delivered without using Parcel Motel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

I have a Chinese android box with good specs on paper, and also an amazon fire TV. The Amazon fire TV is far, far, FAR superior for running kodi. Same can be said about the raspberry pi 2 which is even cheaper again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Any way of getting a Fire Stick delivered without using Parcel Motel?

Parcel Wizard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I know they aren't the same but I find these android boxes woeful for performance.
    Buy a Rasperry pi (this starter kit is about €80 delivered with parcel motel) and stick OpenElec on it (or OSMC) and you'll be laughing for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

d31b0y wrote: »
    I know they aren't the same but I find these android boxes woeful for performance.
    Buy a Rasperry pi (this starter kit is about €80 delivered with parcel motel) and stick OpenElec on it (or OSMC) and you'll be laughing for years to come.

Does openelec include projectstreamtv and all the rest? The workmate said it also included apps that showed sky movies etc. I'm pretty sure for 50 quid to have all that set up ready to go seems a great deal. Whereas everyone's suggestion is to buy a stick and hack into it - not ideal for technophiles.

• Advertisement

It's not setup and ready to go but tvaddons does an easy to install bundle of addons (bundle works with kodi on android also to be fair).

I had a Raspberry Pi (granted it was the first model) running OpenElec a year ago, and to be honest it was pathetic compared to this box.

Has run everything I've thrown at it with surprising ease.

maximoose wrote: »
    I had a Raspberry Pi (granted it was the first model) running OpenElec a year ago, and to be honest it was pathetic compared to this box.

Has run everything I've thrown at it with surprising ease.

I'm only going by the experience I have had. I don't know if the box I had used is the same as the one in this thread (certainly looks the same) but I had nothing but trouble (I was actually looking at it for someone else). Addons inexplicably uninstalling themselves. OTA updates not working. New apps not installing. Could have just been a dodgy box I guess.

The Pi 2 is leaps and bounds better than the original Pi for running KODI / OpenElec. The original Pi was rubbish (I have two of them at home still) :)

I'm not sure about the box coming from groupon - but the one I bought/linked to earlier came with all the desirable/unmentionale add-ons pre-installed and once I uninstalled some of the crap that I didn't want (and got sportsmania) - it has been a dream!

Coupled with the €10 logitech bargain keyboard that was on here recently, it has been my best purchase in years!

I'm not sure about the box coming from groupon - but the one I bought/linked to earlier came with all the desirable/unmentionale add-ons pre-installed and once I uninstalled some of the crap that I didn't want (and got sportsmania) - it has been a dream!

Coupled with the €10 logitech bargain keyboard that was on here recently, it has been my best purchase in years!

You'd nearly be better off its its clean. Then just install the latest Kodi version and once done, follow instructions here, sit back & enjoy ;)

Concerning AFT versus AFT Stick - If the prices are somewhat near I'd say the AFT is superior.

The Fire TV now has a working USB port and ethernet. And the remote is much nicer.

dodzy wrote: »
    You'd nearly be better off its its clean. Then just install the latest Kodi version and once done, follow instructions here, sit back & enjoy ;)

I had a look at The Beast yesterday actually in the Kodi Apps thread, it seems decent but the menu is horrible IMO! Might give it a go at the weekend

EDIT: I've just installed it on my phone and having a play around, bar the tacky wallpapers I quite like it!

I had a look at The Beast yesterday actually in the Kodi Apps thread, it seems decent but the menu is horrible IMO! Might give it a go at the weekend

Kodi apps thread?!

Edit, found it and subscribed :)

Oops, add-ons I mean

This one here

• Advertisement

Kodi apps thread?!

That-away >>>>;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement