Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France launches airstrike on ISIS stronghold of Raqqa

• 16-11-2015 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

French fighter jets launched their biggest raids in Syria to date targeting the Islamic State’s stronghold in Raqqa just two days after the group claimed coordinated attacks in Paris that killed more than 130 people, the defence ministry said. A defence official was quoted by Associated Press as saying the strikes were ‘massive’ and had destroyed two jihadi sites in Raqqa. In the aftermath of the attacks on Paris, the French President, François Hollande, said terrorists strikes were an “act of war” on France, “organised and planned from the outside”. France dropped 20 bombs on Islamic State jihadi training camp in revenge for Paris shootings. Less than 24 hours later of the Paris attacks, some 10 fighter jets pummeled the ISIS-held city of Raqqa with at least 20 bombs, according to the French defence ministry. Have a read here.. www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/16/france-launches-massive-airstrike-on-isis-stronghold-in-syria-after-paris-attack and here http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/france-drops-20-bombs-islamic-6838318

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

shaunn wrote: »
    French fighter jets launched their biggest raids in Syria to date targeting the Islamic State’s stronghold in Raqqa just two days after the group claimed coordinated attacks in Paris that killed more than 130 people, the defence ministry said. A defence official was quoted by Associated Press as saying the strikes were ‘massive’ and had destroyed two jihadi sites in Raqqa. In the aftermath of the attacks on Paris, the French President, François Hollande, said terrorists strikes were an “act of war” on France, “organised and planned from the outside”. France dropped 20 bombs on Islamic State jihadi training camp in revenge for Paris shootings. Less than 24 hours later of the Paris attacks, some 10 fighter jets pummeled the ISIS-held city of Raqqa with at least 20 bombs, according to the French defence ministry. Have a read here.. www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/16/france-launches-massive-airstrike-on-isis-stronghold-in-syria-after-paris-attack and here http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/france-drops-20-bombs-islamic-6838318
    Wow. Cheers for the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

With all these ISIS threads popping up in after hours I'd almost welcome a new dole one at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why don't they just go in with helicopters and wipe out anything that moves? The airstrikes are rather time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Why don't they just go in with helicopters and wipe out anything that moves? The airstrikes are rather time consuming.

I think UL find airstrikes are much more effective

Lights On wrote: »
    With all these ISIS threads popping up in after hours I'd almost welcome a new dole one at this stage

Lots of ISIS fighters on dole as HQ bombed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

The sooner this crowd of lunatics are shut down the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shaunn

+1 on that. The world is becoming a warzone, and WW3 is going to occur sooner or later if they're not stopped; but Francois Hollande stated that France are at war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I have the best of both worlds for you: residents of Al Raqqa the capital of the Caliphate are complaining that immigrants are taking all the jobs! Islamic State Shyteheads from Europe are getting all the jobs! Dole and IS. Win win?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

They airstriked Raqqa last month too. They've done over 200 airstrikes on Iraq and Syria this year. I suppose they only really had surrender or more airstrikes/ground invasion as options. Probably won't make a dent in global jihadism but you can't have what's basically styled itself as a nation openly launching attacks on European countries now and then and not attack them.

Paris attacks: France responds with airstrikes against Isis in Syria – live http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/nov/16/paris-attacks-france-airstrikes-isis-raqqa-syria-live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

shaunn wrote: »
    +1 on that. The world is becoming a warzone, and WW3 is going to occur sooner or later if they're not stopped; but Francois Hollande stated that France are at war.

But isn't that what ISIS want, France and the other super powers now going all in guns blazing, which will inevitable mean innocent people will die, french etc won't give a sh!t, the result is more people with turn to the ISIS way of thinking.

Hollande said early on this was a war, when it was just an attack, Hollande can't protect his people, and they are causing more harm than good with the latest bombings.

Is this intelligence new, or is it just a revenge attack.

Let's eee how may people are reported dead from these bombings - how many children die.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    But isn't that what ISIS want, France and the other super powers now going all in guns blazing, which will inevitable mean innocent people will die, french etc won't give a sh!t, the result is more people with turn to the ISIS way of thinking.

Hollande said early on this was a war, when it was just an attack, Hollande can't protect his people, and they are causing more harm than good with the latest bombings.

Is this intelligence new, or is it just a revenge attack.

Let's eee how may people are reported dead from these bombings - how many children die.

True; that's the real problem underlying here. He's just making the matter worse and he will, no doubt if he hasn't already. This was only an attack, and now it's a war? It's true—François Hollande is not only a fraud, but a wall. Yes, he may be loved in France, or hated for that matter but he is giving France no advantages, especially now with the attacks of ISIS. He's not protecting them in any way, but making matters worse. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Daesh doesn't do diplomacy. Hollande is justified in authorising scorched earth in these circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Well I signed off because Im going to Syria..is that good enough?:pac:
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

And so begins the game of bomb tennis.
    Not like they didnt anticipate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Pretty stupid.

People bomb Paris so the French drop large bombs on Civilians.

Pretty much a rallying cry for ISIS.

So whats the reaction?

I would say nothing. ISIS came out of the vacuum of the Yanks overthrowing a government and walking out leaving ISIS to step into the vacuum fueled by radicals galvanised by the bombing.

The West can claim no moral superiority until it exhibits some. Killing civilians wont bring back the dead.

Exactly—this is exactly what they anticipated and what they want. They want countries to begin to turn on each other; and of course World War Three will begin any day now.. as if it hasn't already. You turn on the news, read it on the internet or newspaper and it's ISIS and what they've done. The world has become a very cruel and sick place.

Killing civilians wont bring back the dead.

What, pray tell good sir, will?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Daesh doesn't do diplomacy. Hollande is justified in authorising scorched earth in these circumstances.

Tell me, when he 7/7 bombings happened, - did Tony Blair come straight out and say we are at war?

How many innocent lives in your opinion, are acceptable to die to go after these people?

Fleawuss wrote: »
    What, pray tell good sir, will?

Nothing.

They are dead.

Deal with it with stoic maturity and not petty fearmongering and further violence.

• Advertisement

Nothing.

They are dead.

Deal with it with stoic maturity and not petty fearmongering and further violence.

You think President Hollande is attempting resurrection of the dead through bombing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

They should drop dizzy bombs. They spin everyone around really fast and then they won't know which way to face when they pray towards Mecca and Allah won't hear them anymore.

You're welcome Western Civilization.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The sooner this crowd of lunatics are shut down the better.

I know the french can be a bit arrogant, but that's taking it a bit far

You think President Hollande is attempting resurrection of the dead through bombing?

Are you feeling okay? How do you get any of that from anything I said.

Your question, quite a stupid one was what will bring back the dead.

I said nothing will. Do you need a biology lesson in deadness. ( i wish there was a quotation for a Dr Cox accent )

Perhaps you may Jesus as rational belief doesnt appear to apply to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I said nothing will. Do you need a biology lesson in deadness. ( i wish there was a quotation for a Dr Cox accent )

Sounds like someones had a half glass of sherry and is itching for a fight.

But you said killing civilians won't bring back the dead. That makes it sound like that is what was intended by the bombing.

Why are you dragging Jesus into it? It's an Allah gig. Or mayb Jesus versus Allah.

But you said killing civilians won't bring back the dead. That makes it sound like that is what was intended by the bombing.

Why are you dragging Jesus into it? It's an Allah gig. Or mayb Jesus versus Allah.

Context;
    US and Allies back Iraq against Iran.
    Iran wins. Invades Kuwait.
    US and Allies invade Iraq. Withdraw. Sanctions kill millions aided by corrupt and brutal dictator.
    Saudi Arabian terrorists plan and carry out 911.
    US invades Afghanistan and Iraq? ? Why. Oh WMDs. We-Made-Des up.
    US deposes Saddam. Instals puppet government, withdraws. Puppet government falls. ISIS (Sunni radicals created by 20 years of sanctions and bombings ) step in. These ****ers are super crazy. London, Madrid and Paris bombings.
    Reaction Options;

1. Keep dropping bombs creating newer crazier suicide bombers. Ask Israel how that tactic's going...

2. Stop. Stop the cycle of violence. Stop dropping bombs on people, and calling them collateral damage. Stop dropping bombs on schools and calling them terrorist training camps. Stop feeding the fear-mongering and hate-whoring. Stop listening and cheering idiots and bigots who talk about bombing people and pretend that is justified, on any side. Nothing. Nothing ever justifies murder.

This has happened before in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Africa, and through recorded history when a colonial power swept in with breathtaking arrogance believing it was civilised, and right and rigeous and divine. Just stop. Every penny spent on bombs and guns and walls and hate could be spent on homelessness and addiction and clean water and sanitation and love, which is free.

Every war torn generation learns on the battlefield that both sides in every conflict are wrong. And their grandchildren forget until they learn again in the mud, in a war, for nothing except some other ****ers opinion.

Context;
    US and Allies back Iraq against Iran.
    Iran wins. Invades Kuwait.
    US and Allies invade Iraq. Withdraw. Sanctions kill millions aided by corrupt and brutal dictator.
    Saudi Arabian terrorists plan and carry out 911.
    US invades Afghanistan and Iraq? ? Why. Oh WMDs. We-Made-Des up.
    US deposes Saddam. Instals puppet government, withdraws. Puppet government falls. ISIS (Sunni radicals created by 20 years of sanctions and bombings ) step in. These ****ers are super crazy. London, Madrid and Paris bombings.
    Reaction Options;

1. Keep dropping bombs creating newer crazier suicide bombers. Ask Israel how that tactic's going...

2. Stop. Stop the cycle of violence. Stop dropping bombs on people, and calling them collateral damage. Stop dropping bombs on schools and calling them terrorist training camps. Stop feeding the fear-mongering and hate-whoring. Stop listening and cheering idiots and bigots who talk about bombing people and pretend that is justified, on any side. Nothing. Nothing ever justifies murder.

This has happened before in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Africa, and through recorded history when a colonial power swept in with breathtaking arrogance believing it was civilised, and right and rigeous and divine. Just stop. Every penny spent on bombs and guns and walls and hate could be spent on homelessness and addiction and clean water and sanitation and love, which is free.

Every war torn generation learns on the battlefield that both sides in every conflict are wrong. And their grandchildren forget until they learn again in the mud, in a war, for nothing except some other ****ers opinion.

Please post to the Caliphate or deliver in person. Now what did I do with the resurrection recipe. Ah, some Hollandaise....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Iran didn't invade Kuwait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

In terms of innocent lives, it was confirmed with the hospitals in Raqqa that no civilians were wounded or killed.

All things considered, it was a pretty proportionate response. The place they bombed is also where American citizen Kayla Mueller (I hope I have her name right) was murdered by their people.

Advertisement