Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Slava1976

Well,I did my medical back in April and I had kinda the same interview in the same station about month ago with a different inspector.But this time inspector mentioned that now he'll be sending my file back to Garda Reserve office which means all this time my file was laying in my local Garda station.As I said before-"Game on" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Hopefully we won't have to wait much longer. I live near the college and know some staff haven't heard any news in a while from them on dates .

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

Great news lads, im not sure everyone has to do the meeting but I don't like the idea of My file sitting around in my local station. Anyways hopefully we get word soon on dates.

Anyone hear anything about training or anyone go for the meeting with the super ? Coming into November now hopefully we get word of something, the temporary dates are the 24th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Doyouevenlift9

So lads i rang in to the office today as i wanted to know what the story with the class in november was,
    I was told due to low numbers being able to attend that the class will more than likely not go ahead , i asked when will we get a chance so, not this year and she didnt even think in the new year , so maybe mid next year , She said coz it being left so long files had to be vetted again and medicals only last 6 months , so any1 that did one when i did mine 4 months back will probs have to do it again .
    it has always been a joke , i dont even know why i care at this stage . All they need is 20 people for a class , and im sure they could get that together in a months time .

• Advertisement

So lads i rang in to the office today as i wanted to know what the story with the class in november was,
    I was told due to low numbers being able to attend that the class will more than likely not go ahead , i asked when will we get a chance so, not this year and she didnt even think in the new year , so maybe mid next year , She said coz it being left so long files had to be vetted again and medicals only last 6 months , so any1 that did one when i did mine 4 months back will probs have to do it again .
    it has always been a joke , i dont even know why i care at this stage . All they need is 20 people for a class , and im sure they could get that together in a months time .

I am not even surprised anymore with anything I hear from HQ. From day one it's been a joke.

Cedric87 wrote: »
    I am not even surprised anymore with anything I hear from HQ. From day one it's been a joke.

All we can do is go for full time , this garda reserve idea is just Bull****... Never going to happen

All we can do is go for full time , this garda reserve idea is just Bull****... Never going to happen

I agree at least it's only 2 weeks away before applications are accepted. Knuckle down and practice the material.

Interesting article today in the irish examiner calling for more garda reserves to be taken on and deployed in stations across the country. Funny how they have people waiting so long and are turning these people of by keeping them in the dark.

honestly the reserve is all i want to do at the moment as i want to finish my degree , but i also want a foot in the door . crazy how they are not going ahead for the 3rd time , they say they dont have files ready i think that is absolute bull

• Advertisement

The assistant commissioner has said yesterday that the reserves need to be expanded and more recruited. When this will happen is anybody's guess

it wont be any time soon

Don't I know it sure the commissioner said early this year there would be 2 classes this year of reserves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Never mind recruiting more reserves, why are they not recruiting FROM the reserves into the full time? This would increase the amount wanting to join the Reserves if they saw there was a clear prospect of progressing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The Reserves is the biggest joke going, the full timers know it, the Reserves know it and the worst thing no one cares.

No powers
    No members that care right the way up to the top
    No progression into full time service
    Ostracized 90% of the time
    What a joke, only reason I am sticking it out is in the hope to go full time, it wouldn't look to go if I left. Don't be to down if training is put off your not missing out on much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

TallGlass wrote: »
    The Reserves is the biggest joke going, the full timers know it, the Reserves know it and the worst thing no one cares.

No powers
    No members that care right the way up to the top
    No progression into full time service
    Ostracized 90% of the time
    What a joke, only reason I am sticking it out is in the hope to go full time, it wouldn't look to go if I left. Don't be to down if training is put off your not missing out on much.

Firstly I hear your point!

If your a member you should get onto your liaison officer with any problems.

Not all reserves are fit for full time, many of them fall short during the campaign.

We do have powers!! Use them if your power crazy..but be warned!!! know your stuff, because if it ends up in court and you don't have a clue. You have just wasted your time. 90% is talking things down.

Note to all.....
    Throw yourself in guys, if and when you get called up, get to know your unit etc.. Any after work events go! Five aside Football etc etc... Give your colleagues support, keep the head down! And get on with your job at hand.. Don't be shy!!!
    And don't act jack the lad....

I'll say one thing!!
    The vetting process for the GR is very bad..
    It only takes around two months, if your going full time!! They need to look at this..
    All your family members background checks are done at their local stations. Which means different stations differ if may ways of operation. Plenty of dust on files.

Dont be miss led by others folks, let the slow process do its job.. And get on with your life...

Stay focused... If your right for the part time or full time, you will get on! The GR gives you an insight into the job at hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

Hi Guys,

Any more news on training dates? Is it still going ahead late this month?
    I did my medical about 3 months ago and passed, but heard nothing as yet!!
    Do i get a call or email to say that i have to go to Templemore for training or is there more interviews with local super ??

Rookie

rookie1470 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Any more news on training dates? Is it still going ahead late this month?
    I did my medical about 3 months ago and passed, but heard nothing as yet!!
    Do i get a call or email to say that i have to go to Templemore for training or is there more interviews with local super ??

Rookie

Your guess is as good as mine, when the September dates were cancelled I recieved an email informing me. According to other members on here they were told a class this year is unlikely, I am waiting patiently to see if I get an email confirming the 24th as the training or postponing it yet again for the third time this year.

Cedric87, would you give a ring yourself ? Like they say different things all the time .

Just been in touch they said no dates have been set and they are awaiting word from the college itself.

• Advertisement

Just been in touch they said no dates have been set and they are awaiting word from the college itself.

The last day they told me it wasn't the college that was the problem ,it was the lack of numbers , I hate when it always different excuses.
    Well they would wana hurry up if people r to get time off at the end of this month.
    I can't people they have a full office just for the operation of the GR and this is the way it is run.

It really is poorly run, I have saved 2 weeks holidays all year for the training. My job will be pissed if I turn around and say Im not doing the training after all. I highly doubt it's going to be this year, I like to stay positive but it seems everytime I do we get let down.

It really is poorly run, I have saved 2 weeks holidays all year for the training. My job will be pissed if I turn around and say Im not doing the training after all. I highly doubt it's going to be this year, I like to stay positive but it seems everytime I do we get let down.

There wasn't one class of GR this year. And of course it had to be the year I was getting somewhere, I can't believe it's guna be 3 years since I first sent my application away in 4 months time . if it doesn't happen in the next 2 r 3 months I'm hitting in the head and will try my best for the full time.

There wasn't one class of GR this year. And of course it had to be the year I was getting somewhere, I can't believe it's guna be 3 years since I first sent my application away in 4 months time . if it doesn't happen in the next 2 r 3 months I'm hitting in the head and will try my best for the full time.

I appear to be in the exact same boat as you 4 months away for it being 3 years. So much for the statement given in Febuary this year saying there would be 2 classes of reserves. I am shifting my focus to full time, practising aptitude tests each night.

I was chatting to a lad today who is a student Reserve, and he said they adleast have to get in one intake a year thats what he was told before.i hope this is true and something happens soon.

I was chatting to a lad today who is a student Reserve, and he said they adleast have to get in one intake a year thats what he was told before.i hope this is true and something happens soon.

Looking back on it over he years I don't think there has been a gap but let's hope this isn't the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

Hi guys,

I posted this on another page but doing it here to update others.

Email received this morning....,,November intake CANCELLED due to unforeseen circumstances. No alternative dates given.

Absolute joke so now we need to be vetted again and do our medicals all over again.

3 times in one year .... Wow ... Sorta knew it tho . ya medicals only last 6months so they defo have to be done again ,it will probs be summer next year before we here anything, so disheartened because I told people I was starting in November , I was like no way will they cancel it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

I applied for the reserves today and got the below response

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your application, it has been added to our database.

The Garda Reserve recruitment has been on hold since December 2013 due to the full time Garda Trainee recruitment. We have no idea as to when we will be recommencing Garda Reserve recruitment. However we do have a huge back log of applications on file. So it could be quite a while before we get back to you in relation to calling you for interview.

Advertisement